• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

Ridley327

I'm doing my no herb casual run right now and can't get past the section where Chris gets his foot injured... =/

Timing the BOW decoys for maximum destruction is your best bet; you'll take a few nicks here and there, but it's the most effective way to wipe the dogs out. Chances are pretty good that you'll be limping by the end of it (I sure was), but you can definitely get through it.

The good news is that's the second hardest part of the game, so you won't be in a section where you'd want to tear your hair out for a while. The bad news, of course, is you still have that part in chapter 9 to contend with.

Finally got to play the game after waiting weeks for it. It is very enjoyable and I ended up liking scanning a lot more than I thought I would. However I am disappointed by the lack of scare as I found the demo a lot more creepy and unsettling than the similar parts in the real game.
The puzzle elements are very nicely done not being too obscure or distracting from the overall experience. I had my gripes with the newer Resident Evil games due the non stop action without much of a break.
In regards to the new cast Parker is a nice new character and it is fresh to be able to control other characters than the usual bunch. I am currently 6 hours in I as spent a lot of time looking into every corner.
This installment is really good and much better than what Resident Evil 5 was for me. However I don't think people should go into it thinking its classic Resident Evil as it is much more action oriented and less horror. The throwbacks work well and I think they should keep this same type of structure and change of pace with a potential sequel.

KevinCow

Banned
I would love some RE4 3DS. This game is good, but I liked the atmosphere of RE4 so much more, and fighting Ganados was so much more fun than Oozes. Plus Leon is the best.

RE4 with Raid Mode would be amazing.

I kinda wonder if the 3DS could handle larger crowds of enemies, though. Rev has like 4 monsters max on screen at a time.

GeekyDad

I'm doing my no herb casual run right now and can't get past the section where Chris gets his foot injured... =/

I took the advice of someone over on GameFAQs. I turned Chris all the way to the left so as not to face the wolves, only occasionally turning to center to throw one of those grenade deals. It worked almost the entire way through. Toward the end, though, the A.I. forced itself into the corner I was facing and I had to actually shoot a few. But there's definitely an exploit there. Whether or not you want to take advantage of that is a different story. I only discovered it recently and am also doing my no-herb run. I'm on Ep 6 now, and it hasn't been too bad yet.

As an aside, someone over on GF also discovered that (don't read unless you've already finished the game)
Raymond & Jessica actually work for Tricell. You can see the logo in a screenshot from Jessica's Report when she's sending data to her employers.

I kinda wonder if the 3DS could handle larger crowds of enemies, though. Rev has like 4 monsters max on screen at a time.

If you have played mercenaries you would experience in late EX missions more than 4 enemies on the screen so it can work. However I suppose you would have to sacrifice your surroundings and detail for it to get close to Resident Evil 4.

hayejin

What's the mentality behind level 50 guys joining my(level43) bonus level and simply hitting the medal and finishing the level as soon as game starts. Happened like 3 times straight today.

Also how do u thank or direct someone in raid mode?

Ridley327

I would love some RE4 3DS. This game is good, but I liked the atmosphere of RE4 so much more, and fighting Ganados was so much more fun than Oozes. Plus Leon is the best.

RE4 with Raid Mode would be amazing.

Revelations can definitely do more than four monsters on screen at once, as anyone that's going through Hell mode or later levels of Abyss in Raid can attest to.

GSR

What's the mentality behind level 50 guys joining my(level43) bonus level and simply hitting the medal and finishing the level as soon as game starts. Happened like 3 times straight today.

Dunno what's up with people insta-ending the bonus level, but you can do voice commands with D-Up and A/B/X/Y. I think it goes Y to thank someone, B to ask them to stop, X to move up, and A... I forget what A does.

Ridley327

1. Fastest way to earn hits for Infection missions (all of them deal with meeting people online).

2. Hold up on the d-pad and tap one of the buttons. X is the "move in" command, A is the "on me" command, B is the "stop" command and Y is the "thank you" command.

olimpia84

I took the advice of someone over on GameFAQs. I turned Chris all the way to the left so as not to face the wolves, only occasionally turning to center to throw one of those grenade deals. It worked almost the entire way through. Toward the end, though, the A.I. forced itself into the corner I was facing and I had to actually shoot a few. But there's definitely an exploit there. Whether or not you want to take advantage of that is a different story. I only discovered it recently and am also doing my no-herb run. I'm on Ep 6 now, and it hasn't been too bad yet.

As an aside, someone over on GF also discovered that (don't read unless you've already finished the game)
Raymond & Jessica actually work for Tricell. You can see the logo in a screenshot from Jessica's Report when she's sending data to her employers.

I'll give that a shot and hopefully it works.

Insaniac

welp I finally beat the last boss after dying several times. I really liked the episodic style of the game as it helped make the game feel more pick up and play, instead of feeling like I needed to dedicate hours into the single player per sitting. Raid mode is utterly fantastic, although I am currently way overpowered for Chasm difficulty I can now unlock Trench and I hope that makes things more challenging. (quick note: does enemy placement differ when the Raid Mode difficulty increases?)

Never played with the CPP and I don't intend to unless they release a 3rd party CPP grip that also extends the 3DS battery life. I am extremely satisfied with the gyro controls, infact the gyro controls suit RE very well.

I can agree with Capcom in that I feel they really did bring a game with the fullness of a console game to a handheld.

olimpia84

welp I finally beat the last boss after dying several times. I really liked the episodic style of the game as it helped make the game feel more pick up and play, instead of feeling like I needed to dedicate hours into the single player per sitting. Raid mode is utterly fantastic, although I am currently way overpowered for Chasm difficulty I can now unlock Trench and I hope that makes things more challenging. (quick note: does enemy placement differ when the Raid Mode difficulty increases?)

Never played with the CPP and I don't intend to unless they release a 3rd party CPP grip that also extends the 3DS battery life. I am extremely satisfied with the gyro controls, infact the gyro controls suit RE very well.

I can agree with Capcom in that I feel they really did bring a game with the fullness of a console game to a handheld.

Yes it does. I didn't find Trench mode to be challenging at all but Abyss is where is at.

Erdrick

I just started this game tonight and played the first little tutorial bits and it's a very impressive game considering it's on a handheld. BEAUTIFUL music at the title screen. I'm actually listening to it as I type this via my 3DS and headphones. I'm also currently replaying RE5 as well in my spare time, so these two games contrast and compare fairly well. The scanning mechanic reminds me of Metroid Prime and that's not a bad thing by any means. Nice atmosphere and overall excellent production values abound.

Can this game rekindle my love for the RE series after I was so letdown by RE5? I hope so. It's off to a promising start at the very least.

as tempting as this game is to buy a 3DS for, I think it will release on Vita at some point. I'll remain patient

For what it's worth, and given Capcom's history with anything that sells well for them and RE in particular, I would not be surprised by this happening at all. In fact, I've come to expect it. This is of course, the company that just recently resold RE:CV again for 20 bucks on yet another platform. Dreamcast exclusive, indeed.

GeekyDad

Ep. 9 no-herb is proving to be a real bitch. Found a nice little corner to bottleneck myself, and I'm trying to conserve ammo and use it as wisely as possible, but no success yet...

Ep. 9 no-herb is proving to be a real bitch. Found a nice little corner to bottleneck myself, and I'm trying to conserve ammo and use it as wisely as possible, but no success yet...

Yes, that one is a real bitch on a no herb run :(. Even on casual it foiled me many, many times until sheer bloody minded perseverance won through.

Don't give up! Trust your instincts!

Ridley327

After managing to survive the
UAV controls run
on Hell (after many, many attempts), this game is going to have to try a lot harder to drive me insane. Not even the
increased tentacle flurry at the end of the boarding section
could make me flinch.

BRING IT GAME

Ridley327

Hell mode completed. The beginning of chapter 9 was pretty nasty, but there is a strategy to get through the last part of it if you hold onto your BOW decoys until then and if you're willing to kite the "remainder" with
one of the rocket launchers in tow. It can definitely be tough with the normal hunters hopping around you, but the Fafarellos are thankfully less unpredictable. Once they're all in range, nuke 'em and beeline to the second one ASAP, repeat.

Incidentally, I had a lot of problems with the first section of the second half of chapter 11, and anyone that's been through there will know why: they just do not give you any ammo.

Abyss is mercifully not sped up like the other enemies, but he definitely takes a beating. I strongly suggest saving a rocket launcher for the final form just to be done with it.

Anteo

After managing to survive the
UAV controls run
on Hell (after many, many attempts), this game is going to have to try a lot harder to drive me insane. Not even the
increased tentacle flurry at the end of the boarding section
could make me flinch.

BRING IT GAME

That part was hard. Then I remebered there is another stage against Hunters, and you don't even get to use your upgraded weapons. Then I got there and got stuck for like 1 hour and a half.

I'm playing a little of mercenaries now. Wow it's so fast pased compared to raid mode. I love both

Edit :

Hell mode completed. The beginning of chapter 9 was pretty nasty, but there is a strategy to get through the last part of it if you hold onto your BOW decoys until then and if you're willing to kite the "remainder" with
one of the rocket launchers in tow. It can definitely be tough with the normal hunters hopping around you, but the Fafarellos are thankfully less unpredictable. Once they're all in range, nuke 'em and beeline to the second one ASAP, repeat.

Yep, that part. I had to use both rocket launchers, and most of the time I got with nothing but sniper rifle rounds to the end. Against the invisible hunters. Worse part is that if I took too long to defeat them, a new wave would spawn.

Effect

Do enemies in raid mode follow the same pattern every time you redo a mission but simply get stronger as you level? Will they show up in the same area or will it get mixed up a bit?

Just started giving it more attention. Up to level 5 now. I thought each character had to be leveled but it seems that's not the case.

Anteo

Do enemies in raid mode follow the same pattern every time you redo a mission but simply get stronger as you level? Will they show up in the same area or will it get mixed up a bit?

Just started giving it more attention. Up to level 5 now. I thought each character had to be leveled but it seems that's not the case.

You get new difficultyl evels after finishing all the stages in one difficulty. This makes the enemies stronger and more varied in all stages.

Can someone help me through ghost ship? Preferably level 50 or powerful as fuck. I'm so tired of the randoms.

Edit: nvm, an angel came down and we cleaned up that level.

Cookychan

Banned
I watched Jessica's Report the other night. VERY good little mini-documentary/interview.
It ends with the post-credits cafe scene.
It also turns out, that the mutants that retain a human head (not naming names) actually have no consciousness, but lifelessly mutter last words (if I translated correctly).

It also showed Rachel was originally playable, during the ship's sinking if I looked correctly.

Finally saw this in a store and picked it up. I played until the first boss and died twice. I'll pick it back up tomorrow, but I' enjoying it so far.

GeekyDad

So many people hosting/joining Bonus Game only to instanta-end. First world problem. Really pisses me off.

Yeah, I think the only way you're going to get through Ghost Ship in co-op is if you enlist a friend. Most folks just farm missions otherwise.

I finished the game last week, and I've been playing raid mode with my brother since then. I didn't care much for the story mode, but raid mode is awesome. I really hope they have an improved version of it in RE6.

Wizpig

Just finished this!

Well, great game, great music, great ending
the Jill and Chris future part... such a troll! pretty cool connection
etc.

But... well, i thought i'd say "the only thing i didn't like is that this isn't really a portable game".

Not at all (they did a nice job for a portable RE), the thing i didn't really like is another one, gameplay wise: [endgame SPOILERS!]
Basically from a certain chapter on they say "fuck exploration, fuck backtracking, fuck these keys, we're going to pull a Call of Duty and make every level until 12 linear"

I hate these kind of things. the game was
"open", so you need to keep it open! at least let me explore after the game end, even if there is little to explore!

Anteo

Just finished this!

Well, great game, great music, great ending
the Jill and Chris future part... such a troll! pretty cool connection
etc.

But... well, i thought i'd say "the only thing i didn't like is that this isn't really a portable game".

Not at all (they did a nice job for a portable RE), the thing i didn't really like is another one, gameplay wise: [endgame SPOILERS!]
Basically from a certain chapter on they say "fuck exploration, fuck backtracking, fuck these keys, we're going to pull a Call of Duty and make every level until 12 linear"

I hate these kind of things. the game was
"open", so you need to keep it open! at least let me explore after the game end, even if there is little to explore!

From chapter 9 onwards, the game was like
"Well we showed you the whole ship, now run for your life!!!" Also the Parker secton in the Zenobia was interesting, you bascally had two ways to get to your destination.

GeekyDad

I personally loved the pacing, perhaps more so than RE4, which I thought overstayed its welcome a bit. I prefer the tight campaign and more extensive Raid Mode package here, I think. Honestly, though -- and I know this might sound crazy -- I think the thing I liked most about this over RE4/5 was the music. It felt more...well, REish to me.

In any case, I definitely don't want my Resident Evil to be an open playground. I love having the ability to explore, but I want that feeling of tension to be ever-present. I always want to feel like exploring a bit further may come at a price.

Davey Cakes

I want to agree with that in the sense that I want to see the RE series grounded in a certain level of environmental tightness and cohesion plus atmospheric tension. The model that Revelations followed through using the Queen Zenobia as the central area was like taking the mansion/police station concept from the earlier games and bringing it into the era of "new RE."

At the same time, I feel like there's a place for both the RE4 approach and the Revelations approach. Maybe they could go RE4-ish for the consoles and Revelations-ish for the handhelds? For me, RE4 didn't overstay its welcome, and the game's giant world and feeling of progression from the very beginning of the Village to the very end of the Island was ridiculously satisfying to me, and I really loved how the whole campaign lasted 20+ hours while still retaining a lot of replayability. Having Mercenaries tacked on was a good way to go, and while Raid mode in Revelations is fun, I'd probably prefer to sacrifice it in order to double the length of the campaign in some way.

Then again, a game with Revelations' structure really doesn't work for a 20+ hour campaign. RE4 was probably lightning in a bottle in terms of this; its design worked well for the experimental first "new RE" game, but it will remain as the only title in the series with that extensive of a story mode. After RE5 and after seeing the RE6 trailer, it seems obvious that Capcom is trying to find a balance between game features rather than just throwing most of the effort into making the campaign huge.

I say all this because I have never been that big into Mercenaries and I might merely get some mild enjoyment out of Raid Mode. But I realize that, for a lot of people, these extra modes actually do provide many hours of added gameplay over the main game's story, so I can see why they're justifiable. And on top of that, while Revelation's overall direction is refreshing in terms of blending old and new, I will always wish for (but probably never get) a replication of the epic journey seen in RE4.

The problem with RE6 from what I can so far tell is that its large scale is the result of taking place across continents, with different characters. I'm all for a large scale approach but if it isn't localized in some way (like in RE4) then I find it less compelling. Then again, RE5 had local scale but felt really fragmented, so I guess it's a matter of "doing local scale right." At least with Revelations, while the game was small-scale in terms of the Zenobia but also larger scale in terms of incorporating the side stories, this combination worked for the style of game that it was. And at the end of the day the Zenobia was still the majority of the experience. That said, a little more focus on non-linear exploration in the next Revelations-type RE game (if there ever is one) would be nice, since at times I was wishing that there was more to do on the ship.

Jarsonot

Welp, just beat it on Normal. I really like this game a lot. I've had a ton of fun playing it, and have been doing Raid mode interspersed with game missions. Just unlocked the last stages of Raid, so even after beating the game I love how there's more to do, other than replay single player of course. (Still need handprints, still need to "scan every enemy", etc.)

But yeah, I will easily recommend this to anyone with a 3DS. A fantastic game.

Does the feedback from the guns get any more significant? Granted, I've only killed one enemy so far, but the pistol is bumming me out.

Oh you lucky, lucky thing! :)

You have so much to look forward to! New weapons and upgrades [especially in the mode you unlock after the first three episodes [IIRC].

In respect of your specific question....although I've played it for 80 odd hours I can't say I have paid any particular attention to that aspect of the game so I am afraid that I can't answer you with any degree of certainty.

I want to say yes but take that with the above proviso in mind.

Anyway, enjoy! :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I don't understand this game melee attacks giveaway "hints" from the monsters.
I was king in Mercenaries, RE4/5 :/
I'm just at Ch1 Ep3 (the boss) but I've only be able to do it on the Hunters and the boss itself. Never with Jill on the common dudes/dudes shooting their arms.
I also don't understand how you inow if you've landed a full charge attack.

Also the manual seems to explain the escape move's execution as B+ up or B+ down but the latter only gives me the usual 180° turnaround and the former (B+up) seems to happen pretty randomly where I don't even need to press B but just up on the cp.

Help!

Wolfe

I don't understand this game melee attacks giveaway "hints" from the monsters.
I was king in Mercenaries, RE4/5 :/
I'm just at Ch1 Ep3 (the boss) but I've only be able to do it on the Hunters and the boss itself. Never with Jill on the common dudes/dudes shooting their arms.
I also don't understand how you inow if you've landed a full charge attack.

Also the manual seems to explain the escape move's execution as B+ up or B+ down but the latter only gives me the usual 180° turnaround and the former (B+up) seems to happen pretty randomly where I don't even need to press B but just up on the cp.

Help!

Not sure which control scheme you're using but the game always told me it was Y+UP as B was used for reloads and quick turning, although in reality all you have to do is press UP at the right moment I still use Y+UP as it helps me time the move I guess.

Also with the melee I have no idea what hit locations actually effect how the enemy reacts but as you progress you'll get weapon parts that add Daze% which will set enemies up for melee.

Was shopping at the mall today and decided to see in two stores if they had it and neither did :(

You should try Gamestops website and see if there are any stores near you with copies in stock, I was able to find one like that the week after the game came out.

Davey Cakes

So I finally started to play Raid Mode as a way of breaking up my second campaign play-through.

Wow, this really is a hell of a lot more fun than Mercenaries. For me, anyway.

Duxxy3

I finished the game a couple days ago and i really enjoyed it.

Just from my small experience at my local store i think the game will exceed expectations in the states.

Top Bottom