• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons |OT| 3D Jill Sandwiches

GSR

Got around to unlocking Abyss. Pleasantly surprised by the increase in enemy variety - was not expecting to see
Scagdeads and dogs
on the beach.

Also did some running around in the Ghost Ship until I got surprised by a high-powered lance/shield BOW; I can see why people wait until level 50 to give it a run. I'm guessing there's something nasty at the end as well.

How long is this game? Replayability?

About 10-12 hours for the Campaign. 30+ for the Raid Mode. Randomly generated content in Raid will keep you hooked with 21 stages and 3 difficulties and online and local co-op. Also new game plus on Campaign mode and just the overall feeling of playing a Resident Evil game that feels like Resident Evil

GSR

My campaign runthrough on Normal took about 9 hours, but I've sunk a good 14 into Raid Mode. "Hell Mode" also unlocks when you beat the game, so if you're up for a challenge there's that.

Grisby

Thanks. How would you guys rate this game against RE5?
Not really comparable to me. 5 is way better (but then again it is a full-fledged console game).

This is still a top tier RE game though and sometimes touches the horror vibes found in RE's 1-3 (and CV). The raid mode is worth the asking price alone, so good.

MooMoo

Early on, the shop is your best bet for getting weapons that are equivalent to your current level. Once you start inching closer to 50, your best shot at better weapons will come from the bounties and the infection missions that you'll get from playing with other people.
I always do the infected missions x.X. I guess the people I'm pairing up with play a lot more raid mode than I do though. I've only been through each mission once and I'm only up to the early Abyss level stages. Really need more time to play this game haha. I've got to say, no herb run was pissing me off. That Chris dog level is terribly designed and it took me forever to pass that part >.>

Davey Cakes

It doesn't always feel as good to play as RE5 (which is a handheld vs. console thing), but in terms of capturing the feel of an RE game it shits all over RE5. It has missteps but is overall satisfying and makes me optimistic about the series' future (where RE5 was fun but left a bad taste in my mouth after finishing it).

I feel bad putting RE5 down, since it has some great production values, but in terms of the direction I prefer for RE games, Revelations does right where RE5 does wrong, so it's hard not to want to place it at a higher standing.

I had way more fun with RE5 in co-op than I did playing Revelations on my own. Not really a fair comparison, but I didn't enjoy the story mode in Revelations.

Raid Mode on the other hand is awesome. I've been playing it in co-op with my brother, and it's a blast. I'd say that the game is worth it for Raid Mode alone if you have someone to play with.

The M.O.B

It takes a large crap all over RE5.

The single player actually has horror atmosphere to it unlike RE5. And interesting characters.

Raid Mode is 3x better than Mercenaries and more interesting and will last longer for the typical player.

Rev probably had 1/10 the budget of RE5 and it's twice as good.

The ONLY thing I can think of that RE5 did better besides graphics obviously was voice chat in Merc mode. Playing Raid mode with a partner in Re:Rev feels awkward without being able to voice chat, weird Capcom didn't put that in.

It takes a large crap all over RE5.

The single player actually has horror atmosphere to it unlike RE5. And interesting characters.

Raid Mode is 3x better than Mercenaries and more interesting and will last longer for the typical player.

Rev probably had 1/10 the budget of RE5 and it's twice as good.

The ONLY thing I can think of that RE5 did better besides graphics obviously was voice chat in Merc mode. Playing Raid mode with a partner in Re:Rev feels awkward without being able to voice chat, weird Capcom didn't put that in.

Well you can hold down UP on the Dpad and press any of the ABXY face buttons to say a command.

Davey Cakes

Good point about the budget. Revelations really shows that the Resident Evil series can easily work in the realm of handhelds, where the budget doesn't need to be over-inflated.

Not to mention the short dev time. In the time it took Capcom to put out RE5 they could put out two Revelations-type iterations. Think about that.

And on top of it all, Revelations has thus far been very successful, showing that there's still a lot of interest in RE games of this style. Hopefully this shows Capcom that the natural progression of the franchise isn't necessarily in the direction of spinoff titles and bro-splosion action shooters.

banned for having bad taste

Banned for posting an ill advised GIF in their very next post, more likely.

The following poster summarises it beautifully...

About 10-12 hours for the Campaign. 30+ for the Raid Mode. Randomly generated content in Raid will keep you hooked with 21 stages and 3 difficulties and online and local co-op. Also new game plus on Campaign mode and just the overall feeling of playing a Resident Evil game that feels like Resident Evil

...so all I can add to that is that I am now on my fifth playthrough of Campaign mode and have put 90 odd hours into the game overall.

I concur with Grisby however, in that the Raid mode is worth the price of admission by itself, and I have only played it purely solo so far.

I always do the infected missions x.X. I guess the people I'm pairing up with play a lot more raid mode than I do though. I've only been through each mission once and I'm only up to the early Abyss level stages. Really need more time to play this game haha. I've got to say, no herb run was pissing me off. That Chris dog level is terribly designed and it took me forever to pass that part >.>

I hate that section! :x I went into that on my second no herb run last night having carelessly taken damage in the immediately preceding area and thus had a nightmare of a time as a result. Even when I gave up and restarted I found it a bitch to get through. Still, completely pwning 'Mayyyyydayyyyyyyy!!!' just with my souped up handgun rather made up for it :).

Poyunch

Just beat the game. Um...
is it possible for you to leave Parker behind for death? I saved him obviously but was that optional?

Just beat the game. Took a little over 10hrs. It was worth it. That final boss can be a real bitch. Defeating it on Hell mode will surely be fun

Oh thank God Parker survived. Hope to see more of Raymond and Jessica in a future game just to see if they are truly working for anyone

I don't know when I'll finally try Raid Mode. Maybe some time Sunday night

Gambit

So, I finally beat the game as well. It was great, although I died a couple of times fighting the last boss.

Anyway, I am up for more Revelations in the future. Bring 'em, Capcom!

Also, obligatory,
oh Jessica, you saucy minx.

Would it be reasonable to tackle the more difficult optional challenges of this game without a CCP? The answer to this question will determine whether or not I sell it after I play through the main story once.

Boney

Banned
Would it be reasonable to tackle the more difficult optional challenges of this game without a CCP? The answer to this question will determine whether or not I sell it after I play through the main story once.

I have same fears regarding raid mode.

GeekyDad

I have same fears regarding raid mode.

I've S ranked everything in Raid Mode, including Ghost Ship without the use of the CCP (haven't even had the opportunity to try the accessory yet). Considering the controls as is, I really can't see the benefit of the thing. I guess perhaps it makes camera control easier, but I just don't feel the need for it at all.

Ridley327

You really shouldn't have problems; Raid mode has the benefit of being co-op and whatever difficulty that lies in Hell has more to do with how the scenarios are designed than anything else.

I finished the game a few days ago and was quite pleased with it. I died a lot at first with the last boss before I found out how you were supposed to beat him. You don't even have to dodge him. While playing the campaign I was surprised that you didn't see the Rachel footage (from that trailer) in-game.

Raid mode is a nice mode to kill time with, but I will have to say I prefer Mercenaries due to the enemies and levels. As it is as satisfying to kill most of the enemies in Relevations opposed to those of earlier titles.
However Raid mode is better with giving options and rewards for going through many rooms as possible and variety.
Is anyone up for the bonus level (ghost ship) on raid tonight? I still haven't played that level properly and gotten the correct path. The last time I played it was with a level 50 person and he died as I couldn't assist him as I was out of bullets and I couldn't inflict damage on the enemies even if I had bullets left.
Not thinking of finishing that level properly yet, but I am interesting in getting through some of the rooms and weapon/ enhancements/cases without dying. The levels reward you a lot more if you go through all the obscure paths before reaching the final goal.
There is also a level on Trench (zenobia) that I keep getting A on that I was an S (not sure if it is wasting too much time or not killing enough enemies) that i need help on.

My FC: 2062 9139 2362

Effect

I've S ranked everything in Raid Mode, including Ghost Ship without the use of the CCP (haven't even had the opportunity to try the accessory yet). Considering the controls as is, I really can't see the benefit of the thing. I guess perhaps it makes camera control easier, but I just don't feel the need for it at all.

As long as developers pay attention to Capcom when it comes to controls for games similar to this then I don't see a need for the CPP. The CPP might be nice for camera control but the game was clearly designed around the Nintendo 3DS as it is right out of the box.

kairiceres

Neo Member
Hey anyone want to raid mode with me? I'm level 24, I don't really have nice weapons but I did unlock all the stages for chasm including ghost ship. My friendcode is 1289-8281-5692.

What's the trick to killing/avoiding those water creatures in Episode 5? They are fucking infuriating.

Which ones? The ones that give you a playful nibble with their big teeth or the ones that give you a hug and a kiss and frolic with you underwater?

[The latter ones creep me out. They remind me of the water aliens from Alien Resurrection *shudders*.]

Both can be sniped from a distance especially the latter of the two when they pop out of the water to have a look around. However, my main tactic is usually to wait for them to come to me and give them a close encounter with the shotgun when they jump up to play. Pulse grenades are good for the water enemies too but I tend to save them for when there is a bunch of them and want to thin out their numbers to make it more manageable. Oh and if you know the route you are going and where they are likely to be in any particular room they can often be avoided by running past them to the nest area.

I do agree though, they are tiresome.

I just encountered the water bugs too. I died once trying to shoot them then I tried to run past them and died. I got sleepy and shut it off so hopefully today is the day I learn to deal with them.

Are you guys shooting all the zombies and monsters? Or should I be conserving ammo? I am Chapter 5 already and still can't tell what type of RE this is. There are times I have tons of ammo and then I use it thinking I wont need it later.

Gambit

I just encountered the water bugs too. I died once trying to shoot them then I tried to run past them and died. I got sleepy and shut it off so hopefully today is the day I learn to deal with them.

Are you guys shooting all the zombies and monsters? Or should I be conserving ammo? I am Chapter 5 already and still can't tell what type of RE this is. There are times I have tons of ammo and then I use it thinking I wont need it later.

I shot (practically) all my enemies and ammo was never a problem. There were many times when I was on edge, but I never ran out.

Unrelated Endgame Spoiler:

You know, one thing I thought was a wasted opportunity was the lack of a Rachel chapter. It would have fit in perfectly with chapter 11, Revelations. Playing her part of the story culminating in being thrown against the window and seeing Jill as your last image.

Korosenai

I'm a puss when it comes to horror games, but I finally decided to man the frack up, so I went out and bought this game. I can't wait to play it.

Is griefing on Ghost Ship now a new trend?
I tried to play some rounds of Ghost Ship today, and out of 10 games open all those bitches would run to the very first medal and end the game immediately just to then leave the lobby.

I shot (practically) all my enemies and ammo was never a problem. There were many times when I was on edge, but I never ran out.

Unrelated Endgame Spoiler:

You know, one thing I thought was a wasted opportunity was the lack of a Rachel chapter. It would have fit in perfectly with chapter 11, Revelations. Playing her part of the story culminating in being thrown against the window and seeing Jill as your last image.

You mean like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLKoBNRu1jY
[SPOILERS]

Most of the game you don't need to worry about conserving ammo too much. It's the stages when you are not feeling yourself that you generally have to take more care in this regard.

I'm a puss when it comes to horror games, but I finally decided to man the frack up, so I went out and bought this game. I can't wait to play it.

Good kitty!

Is griefing on Ghost Ship now a new trend?
I tried to play some rounds of Ghost Ship today, and out of 10 games open all those bitches would run to the very first medal and end the game immediately just to then leave the lobby.

They are farming missions completions to race to the unlock from 500 mission completions, apparently.

Wolfe

They are farming missions completions to race to the unlock from 500 mission completions, apparently.

They should have done something design wise to prevent that, I understand why they might have even left it like that on purpose so that people can "grind" it if they want but by making the level almost require 2 people it screws up anyone that wants to actually play the level most of the time.

I think it's less to do with that and more to do with merely farming for Infection/Wanted missions.

Ah, I knew it was to do with farming something and clearly got my lines crossed. I can't say that I paid much attention to the details though as I knew it would not be something that I would do. I would only consider it if a had a co-op partner who was equally willing to do this. I would rather just play the game and let things occur in their natural course though.

Now that the systems and engine are in place, i really hope they introduce mercenaries back into the next one with a shared perk system like M3D had.

GeekyDad

Ah, I knew it was to do with farming something and clearly got my lines crossed. I can't say that I paid much attention to the details though as I knew it would not be something that I would do. I would only consider it if a had a co-op partner who was equally willing to do this. I would rather just play the game and let things occur in their natural course though.

On the plus side, most folks farming missions usually set their level to 1 as an indication of what they're doing. Just look out for that if you're actually wanting to play through Ghost Ship. Of course, it's no guarantee from my experience, but most of the time that's how folks do it online.

Top Bottom