• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelaitons Unveiled Edition |OT| "Me and my sweet ass are on the way!"

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Cutscenes I would imagine. I'm a bit of a videophile (and want to record the cutscenes) so I'll go where the quality is.

You'll be happy to know the cutscenes on PC look really good. I was kind of worried they'd look fuzzy or show the 3DS origin in the cutscene videos, but they don't at all.

News Bot

Banned
Then you mean "less compressed". Pretty sure there's not a single video game in the history of videogames with uncompressed videos :p

Well yeah, but close enough. :p

You'll be happy to know the cutscenes on PC look really good. I was kind of worried they'd look fuzzy or show the 3DS origin in the cutscene videos, but they don't at all.

The one in the demo looked pretty good, but 4GB is a pretty big difference. I wonder what their resolution is between PS3 and PC.

Dusk Golem

Well yeah, but close enough. :p

The one in the demo looked pretty good, but 4GB is a pretty big difference. I wonder what their resolution is between PS3 and PC.

This is just a guess from what I've played so far and testing resolutions early into the game, but I think they're 720p on the PC. They looked the most natural at that resolution, from what I could tell.The game goes up to 1080p, but I don't think it really added anything to the cutscenes. No idea about PS3.

I know Capcom probably puts more into the games than they do the movies, but I find it odd how the CG cutscenes in Revelations look a lot more visually impressive than the CG in Damnation.

Going by the demo, PC is WMV 720p @ 7800 bitrate, which is probably the same as the 360 version. Much better than the bink crap we get most of the time.

Dusk Golem

Also, for anyone curious, the two new enemies I have fought in Revelations so far on Infernal Mode are Black Fenrir and the Wall Blister.

Black Fenrir are like the regular dog Fenrirs, except they are quite a bit bigger, do more damage, have a lot more health, a lot more aggressive, and they have the ability to run away, howl, and call more regular Fenrirs.

Wall Blisters start off in hardened cocoons you can't penetrate that don't hatch until you complete certain story objectives (scripted hatching, not timed). They don't have a lot of health compared to some things on Infernal, but they are fast (they basically dash at you and are about three times as fast as you) and they have a nasty one-hit kill attack they can use when they simply get close to you by catching you in their arms (and they have long arms).

News Bot

Banned
I'm pretty sure the black Fenrir is in the original, but probably in fewer numbers. I haven't played it in a while but they're mentioned in the Navigation & Art Book.

Dusk Golem

I'm pretty sure the black Fenrir is in the original, but probably in fewer numbers. I haven't played it in a while but they're mentioned in the Navigation & Art Book.

They quite possibly might be as this is my first time playing through the whole game (and going through it on Infernal), but I did play some of the 3DS game and I don't remember Black Fenrirs, but it has been a while.

I also recommend Infernal to those who like survival type gameplay. It isn't easy, but I am having a lot of fun overcoming almost ridiculous odds sometimes. One thing I can note is that I don't think the sub-chapter missions so far are that difficult in Infernal (the side-character missions). They are harder than they originally were, but not barely getting by on the edge of your skin level. Jill's stages are quite a bit harder though, and something cool I think they did is that they randomize the enemies positions (I only figured this out when I died at the same section a few times and noticed that different enemies and locations happened each time I died). These positions seem to 'lock' once you have been through a room successfully and reach the next checkpoint (as dead enemies and picked up supplies stay dead/stay picked up), but that would make different playthroughs have different enemy positions.

So far the hardest part was probably the beginning though (just beat episode 3). They throw eight enemies at you before you meet the first Ooze in the other difficulties, and they take an insane amount of bullets from your bare-bone handgun. The game goes a bit kind on you shortly after this by giving you an add-on that increases damage by 40%, but then the first Ooze you regularly confront as 'the first enemy' in the other difficulties has an insane amount of health for an Ooze. It's been fun, though.

GulAtiCa

I was hoping to download it last night at midnight or this morning. No luck on either. Guess I'll just download on Wii u when I get home after work.

G-Fex

Yeah I know S Rank requires it but the general length is suppose to be 6-8 hours isn't it, that's what I meant or is it that length regardless?
I remember when I first got my PS1 and rented RE1, didn't know a memory card was required the guy at the video store was shocked when I told him I completed it with both characters in two days
1 hour 23 minutes was my second run, he was even more shocked when I told him I had no card lol
I did explode when I was killed by Hunters the first time though

Holy shit 1:23? That's amazing, I can't even do sub 2 hours in director's cut.

Yeah normally like the 1st game is the longest, say 5-6 hours for a average person. 2 is much shorter still about 4-5 hours. 3 being the shortest say 3-4 hours average.

I know REmake is stupidly long and my first run in a decade clocked in at 7 hours lol.

I was so hoping to set this to download on my Wii U overnight so I could play it when I get home today. Now...who knows when I'll get to play it? :-/

Do we have any idea how big the Wii U version is?

Sectus

"RACHEL, ON THE SCENE"

Jesus, that's so cringe worthy.

Also what camera options are you using? I don't remember being able to control the camera that way in the demo, specially to look around corners?

Classic controls. It makes the controls similar to RE4/RE5.

Gbraga

The original 3ds game was balanced around classic conrtrols. The Circle Pad Pro basically broke the game and made it too easy.

Interesting, I'll give it a shot.

for a first timer playing the campaign? I'd say so. for Raid mode or replays, whatever you find the most fun.

That's also good to know, since the atmosphere is one of the good things about this game (at least it looks like it is).

I'll probably go back to shooter controls after finishing the campaign, but it's worth it to experience it the way it was meant to be played.

Sectus

That looks so fun, can't wait to play it.

Do you think that's the best way to play the game?

I find classic to be the most comfortable, it also feels like what the game was designed for. Shooter controls is probably more powerful as it lets you very easily move while shooting. I think it just depends on what you prefer really.

Aaron

All I really want is an FOV slider to pull back a little. That and a way to disable the more annoying and obvious messages. Yes, I know what the saving icon looks like. You don't have to tell me every single time I load the game.

All I really want is an FOV slider to pull back a little. That and a way to disable the more annoying and obvious messages. Yes, I know what the saving icon looks like. You don't have to tell me every single time I load the game.

Don't get why they didn't have this! Why arent people making a deal out of the FOV like in RE6?! It's not any different pre RE6 patch.

AkuMifune

Banned
Started playing last night on the PC. It certainly feels odd, if I didn't know it's history I would think it's...strange...(FOV, textures, some jerky animations) but it's fun so far.

Neiteio

Classic controls. It makes the controls similar to RE4/RE5.
Excellent! So basically the non-CPP 3DS controls with RE4-style movement on the Circle Pad, strafing with locked aiming on the shoulder buttons, and camera with the touchscreen (or with the second analog stick in this case)... Correct?

Are you playing the PC version with a 360 controller? How smooth is the aiming, Sectus? How does the aiming compare to the 3DS version, which was smooth as silk?

Mileena

Banned
Aiming with a DS3 on PC version feels much better to me than the 3DS version. To me, this is Revelaitons now. The 3DS version I have will probably get traded in as it's pretty irrelevant.

Neiteio

Aiming with a DS3 on PC version feels much better to me than the 3DS version. To me, this is Revelaitons now. The 3DS version I have will probably get traded in as it's pretty irrelevant.
I need my portable RER, so it's never getting traded in. (I keep all of my games anyways, lol) But that's great to hear the already great aiming has been improved. So people were just blowing hot air when they said earlier the aiming seems off in the HD version?

Sectus

Excellent! So basically the non-CPP 3DS controls with RE4-style movement on the Circle Pad, strafing with locked aiming on the shoulder buttons, and camera with the touchscreen (or with the second analog stick in this case)... Correct?

Are you playing the PC version with a 360 controller? How smooth is the aiming, Sectus? How does the aiming compare to the 3DS version, which was smooth as silk?

I'm using a PS3 controller and it works great overall. Minor movements can be a bit tricky (which is why I'm so slow to aim at that emblem at the start of the video I uploaded) but otherwise it works fine. It's worth noting that 60fps helps a lot with making the aiming feel smooth.

Mileena

Banned
I need my portable RER, so it's never getting traded in. (I keep all of my games anyways, lol) But that's great to hear the already great aiming has been improved. So people were just blowing hot air when they said earlier the aiming seems off in the HD version?

I'm only using a pad till they patch the mouse accel though, I imagine this will play much better on mkb like every other shooter. We got an ETA on that?

Great game. Runs surprisingly better on my low end Core 2 rig as compared to RE 6. Could actually crank it up to 1080p with minimal FPS loss as compared to RE 6 which forced me to push it down to 1600x900p.

Just finished the 1st chapter and it's already reminiscent of old school RE. Slow, steady and methodical exploration with the occasional scare. Doors to open. Lots of breathers. Nice back and forth between characters. No arrows directing you where to go and a PROPER BLOODY MINI MAP! Exploration is the focus. A nice classic status screen, with manuals and logfiles and documents to read plus a fully rotatable map. The PDA one in RE 6 was just bullshit (Leon's was okay, but there was no consistency between the characters as they all had different UIs). No excessive dudebro shootbang with roided out jocks segments so far.

FOV could use some tweaking though, I'm surprised they patched those adjustable FOV controls into RE 6 but not Revelaitons. It'd be nice to pull back the camera just a little bit, it gets a bit too claustrophic starring at that well rounded behind at times and the camera doesn't help any.

Using classic controls to help evoke dat classic RE experience. Will change to shooter when playing Raid mode. I think those who mastered RE 6's manuevers will find this game lacking though, you're not a highly maneuverable action hero as you are in RE 6; the dodges are simpler, and you can't exactly dive back and fire on your back or roll around like in RE6. No slide to cover either. No dash/sprint. Only walking and jogging.

They eschewed all those actiony parts for this installment.

Which is perfect. Just perfect. Future REs need to be made in this vein. I hope this does well on Steam and in the console market so that CAPCPOM will be inclined to make more REs of this nature, and spin off the actiony REs into some other side franchise. This game is the definition of RE in the truest sense. I just wish it came out sooner, RE 6 is an okay game but it's not an RE game at all in the classical sense when compared to Revelaitons. Those 3DS owning folk got the best RE of this generation and we didn't even get to play it until the end of it.

Top Bottom