• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

SkylineRKR

Well, Claire's personality in this game

was outright terrible from the get go. In the english script at least. It started when she said guns were the most reliable, something she disagreed on during CV. Then the Natalia part. And then the stuff regarding Neil. Its incredibly bad. The conclusion stuff would actually suit her character up until this point.

AdaWong

Reading those Claire Spoilers.
Holy Shit if the scene plays out as described claire just fell all the way down rankings to the bottom. Wow I don't think any mainline character has ever been so terrible with their partner.
Even
Ada treated Agent better, she at least cracked jokes for him every now and then!
😂😂
But yeah,
even Claire fans are already pissed with the way Claire got treated here. Her inclusion is simply a way to justify her absence form RE6 and to get them pity sales from nostalgic fans.

Well, Claire's personality in this game

was outright terrible from the get go. In the english script at least. It started when she said guns were the most reliable, something she disagreed on during CV. Then the Natalia part. And then the stuff regarding Neil. Its incredibly bad. The conclusion stuff would actually suit her character up until this point.

"But.. But she matured!"

Neiteio

I just looked up the part of Claire's Episode 4 being discussed here — and I don't see the issue:

There are less than 30 seconds left before the place self-destructs. The clock is literally ticking at the top of the screen. Moira appears to trapped under a pile of debris on the opposite side of a chasm, and barely alive. The ledge seems just out of reach. I don't think Claire was out of place to jump into the ocean, at Moira's urging. The alternative was to jump... to a dying person crushed under debris... and then fall short of the ledge and fall into the ocean anyways... or maybe hit the side of the tower, which would then self-destruct... There's being selfless, and then there's suicidal without any chance of anyone making it out.

(Resume non-spoilers, but regarding expectations) The video I watched didn't do much in the way of looking over the environment, but I was skipping around so I'm not sure. Claire's Episode 4 being more or less a short coda to her Episode 3 doesn't bother me since, taken as a whole, her Episode 3 was like 50% longer than her Episode 2, so all in all it seems to balance out.

And regarding Claire in the context of the story as a whole:

I recall reading Claire -does- come back, as a sniper in the chopper covering Barry at the end, but maybe that information was incorrect. Regardless of whether she returns, she still serves a purpose in the story, which is to get Moira as far as she did, and to serve as a catalyst for Alex's failed transformation, setting up the events of Barry's half of the story.

I'm satisfied with what I know, which is the broad strokes up through Claire's Episode 4, and certain details of Barry's Episode 4.

Manu

I'm not clicking the spoilers, but apparently Episode 4 sucks and I should keep my expectations in check? Great :/

Astral Dog

You could say the same of Leon and Ada in RE4. Replace them with generic wisecracking hero and femme fatale.

Come on Leon and Ada are not that generic, Ada helps you the whole journey while being the femme fatale and Leon is, Leon.he has a clearly defined design and personality.

But you have a point, i wonder if Gina could had worked better as the partner character.

Shauni

I really don't know what the hell some of you guys are talking about in regards to Claire here. I've not clicked a lot of the EP4 spoilers, but so far I don't think she's been generic in this story at all. I honestly think some of you really don't know what that word means, and just use it as slang for you disliking something for whatever reason. Even if EP4 ends up being a bunch of shit, I've still liked all the characters so far.

Neiteio

Come on Leon and Ada are not that generic, Ada helps you the whole journey while being the femme fatale and Leon is, Leon.he has a clearly defined design and personality.

But you have a point, i wonder if Gina could had worked better as the partner character.
You're acting like Claire's devoid of personality in RER2. She's not. She has her humanizing qualities, her heroic qualities, and some levity here and there. But I thought that wasn't even what we were discussing. We were discussing whether anyone could "play her part."

And as I pointed out: No more than anyone could've have played the part of Leon and Ada in RE4. Which is to say, they were just as "generic" — the unflinching wisecracking hero that is dime a dozen in action movies, and the flirtatious femme fatale.

Which is to further say, it's fine and I don't see an issue with RE4's characters or RER2's. :)

Shauni

And Moira has, easily, been one of the most fleshed out supporting characters both in background and personality since, I don't know, probably RE2 or something. So fuck all you moist barrels.

Jawmuncher

Nobody?
2015-03-13_000035gl3l.jpg

AdaWong

I just looked up the part of Claire's Episode 4 being discussed here — and I don't see the issue:

There are less than 30 seconds left before the place self-destructs. The clock is literally ticking at the top of the screen. Moira appears to trapped under a pile of debris on the opposite side of a chasm, and barely alive. The ledge seems just out of reach. I don't think Claire was out of place to jump into the ocean, at Moira's urging. The alternative was to jump... to a dying person crushed under debris... and then fall short of the ledge and fall into the ocean anyways... or maybe hit the side of the tower, which would then self-destruct... There's being selfless, and then there's suicidal without any chance of anyone making it out.

(Resume non-spoilers, but regarding expectations) The video I watched didn't do much in the way of looking over the environment, but I was skipping around so I'm not sure. Claire's Episode 4 being more or less a short coda to her Episode 3 doesn't bother me since, taken as a whole, her Episode 3 was like 50% longer than her Episode 2, so all in all it seems to balance out.

And regarding Claire in the context of the story as a whole:

I recall reading Claire -does- come back, as a sniper in the chopper covering Barry at the end, but maybe that information was incorrect. Regardless of whether she returns, she still serves a purpose in the story, which is to get Moira as far as she did, and to serve as a catalyst for Alex's failed transformation, setting up the events of Barry's half of the story.

I'm satisfied with what I know, which is the broad strokes up through Claire's Episode 4, and certain details of Barry's Episode 4.

Look, Neiteio, I know you like the Revelations series. I, myself, absoutely ADORE this game. It's up there with RE2 and RE4 easily. BUT I'm not gonna sugarcoat anything I see and just turn a blind eye on the obvious shortcomings just because I like this game. It's a defense mechanism; when others gang up on something you like as a whole, you feel the need to justify that it's not an issue at all. But..
Claire's Chapter 4 is not just anticilmactic, it's flatout bad. And here's why:
1: Alex's confrontation:
ALL this build up.. ALL this hype about the "overseeier"... And all we get is a cutscene (that is NOT even CGI. lolwat Capcom?) and Alex commits suicide, and what do our main protagonists say? "Just like that.." And they turn around as if, you know, the one that just killed their whole team and trapped them in an island didn't just commit suicide.

2: The gameplay and the obvious rush job:
What is this? Literally running. No combat. Nothing. Just run for your life.
Not a single CGI cutscene. They didn't even show you Alex's face. You literally can play the game without even knowing the villain's face.

3: The length:
Kudos to Capcom for giving us long episodes! But with this one, the one that's supposed to be the finale, is just 6 minutes of running?
You may be okay with it as you, yourself, said that you didn't get to know Claire. But for us fans that have been waiting more than a decadd for an ACTUAL new playable appearance... This is just a big bitchslap from Capcom. Period.

4: Claire's character:
Who is this, really?
On episode one, she is a person that does not rely on people anymore. She favors guns over people (despite being strongly against this in CV). "She matured!" Fair enough, the world taught her to be more uptight. Fair enough.

On episode two, she doesn't know how to deal with Natalia? This is coming from the same bitch that babysat Sherry's ass in RE2 and Rani in Degeneration. Suddenly, she doesn't know how to deal with children? The way that Moira STOPS Claire implies that Claire doesn't know wtf she's doing with kids. Umm. What? Who the fuck does Moira think she is, really? Did Claire's sudden "maturity" disabled her ability to take care of kids, too?

On episode three, she couldn't give two shits about Natalia (again, this is coming from the bitch that was STALKING Sherry's poor little ass in RE2 to make sure she's fine), and all she cared about was Neil. Okay, the girl has a crush on him. Then when it's revealed that he's a traitor, she cries and says "I.. Just realized to see more clearly." But I thought "she matured!" I though the world made her uptight after the events she went through! What haooened to that strong Claire we JUST saw in episode 1? Just... What? Extremely inconsistent.

On episode four, the ending.

Four different personalities in four different episodes form the same game. Just no. All Claire fans are angry, this is not just me nitpicking.

Again, do realize that i absolutely LOVE this game. I enjoy it immensely, but I won't sugarcoat anything.

Neiteio

I really don't know what the hell some of you guys are talking about in regards to Claire here. I've not clicked a lot of the EP4 spoilers, but so far I don't think she's been generic in this story at all. I honestly think some of you really don't know what that word means, and just use it as slang for you disliking something for whatever reason. Even if EP4 ends up being a bunch of shit, I've still liked all the characters so far.
Episode 4 looks great from what I've seen. But people should know this going in: Claire's part is very short — like an epilogue to her Episode 3. Still goes to interesting places, and interesting things still happen. It's the catalyst for everything that takes place with Barry. But just know it's brief. Less than 15 minutes if you're efficient.

It's still balanced overall, since as you know Claire's Episode 3 was unusually long. Her Episode 4 is more like the falling action to the climax that was Episode 3. And then Barry's Episode 4, from the sounds of it, is rather robust.

Shauni

Episode 4 looks great from what I've seen. But people should know this going in: Claire's part is very short — like an epilogue to her Episode 3. Still goes to interesting places, and interesting things still happen. It's the catalyst for everything that takes place with Barry. But just know it's brief. Less than 15 minutes if you're efficient.

It's still balanced overall, since as you know Claire's Episode 3 was unusually long. Her Episode 4 is more like the falling action to the climax that was Episode 3. And then Barry's Episode 4, from the sounds of it, is rather robust.

Disappointing, but I've been satisfied enough with what I've played so far that I think this is probably my favorite RE since RE4 (solo-wise, anyway, RE5 co-op is insanely fun).

SeanTSC

Episodes 1 and 2 are that short too if you're "efficient."

My fastest times while S Ranking every difficulty/mode are 13'30 / 11'57 on Episode 1 (Casual), 24'15 / 13'37 Episode 2 (Countdown), and 28'40 / 25'41 Episode 3 (Countdown) and those aren't even remotely close to the top leaderboard times.

I think Claire's Ep 3 was my longest First Time run, about 2 hours while trying to find every Drawing and Emblem and hidden thing on my own.

Neiteio

Look, Neiteio, I know you like the Revelations series. I, myself, absoutely ADORE this game. It's up there with RE2 and RE4 easily. BUT I'm not gonna sugarcoat anything I see and just turn a blind eye on the obvious shortcomings just because I like this game. It's a defense mechanism; when others gang up on something you like as a whole, you feel the need to justify that it's not an issue at all. But..
First off, I find this a bit offensive. You seem to be suggesting I'm not being objective out of some desire to like the game. But I'm being honest: I like what I'm seeing here. Who are you to question that I -really- feel the way I do?

I'm going to assume you intended no offense. And I can see you're coming at this from the perspective of someone who has different expectations of Claire based on her previous games. So I'll keep that in mind:

AdaWong said:
Claire's Chapter 4 is not just anticilmactic, it's flatout bad. And here's why:
1: Alex's confrontation:
ALL this build up.. ALL this hype about the "overseeier"... And all we get is a cutscene (that is NOT even CGI. lolwat Capcom?) and Alex commits suicide, and what do our main protagonists say? "Just like that.." And they turn around as if, you know, the one that just killed their whole team and trapped them in an island didn't just committed suicide.
Why does it have to be CGI? It's not the final battle. It's the setup for Barry's half, which leads to the final battle. It's a turning point. Claire's climax (that sounds wrong, lol) was Neil's betrayal, and was depicted accordingly.

Also, you get to see the cutscene with alternate costumes if it's in-engine, which is a plus if you're like me and love those!

AdaWong said:
2: The gameplay and the obvious rush job:
What is this? Literally running. No combat. Nothing. Just run for your life.
Not a single CGI cutscene. They didn't even show you Alex's face. You literally can play the game without even knowing the villain's face.
I'll admit that's disappointing, if it's the way you described it. I skipped around so I didn't study all of the gameplay in that section. But I do wonder... If this game wasn't presented episodically, with clear demarcations of "Act 1," "Act 2," etc., would this would even be noticeable? I've been looking at the game as a whole, as I do with any story, and if you consider Claire's Episode 4 as falling action to her sizable Episode 3 (there's a pun in there), the overall structure is still sound. It's just not what you wanted as a Claire fan who wanted to maximize her screen time. I suspect she'll still break even compared to Barry, given her earlier episodes were longer.

AdaWong said:
3: The length:
Kudos to Capcom for giving us long episodes! But with this one, the one that's supposed to be the finale, is just 6 minutes of running?
You may be okay with it as you, yourself, said that you didn't get to know Claire. But for us fans that have been waiting more than a decadd for an ACTUAL new playable appearance... This is just a big bitchslap from Capcom. Period.
I don't see it how it diminishes everything that led up to that point. It seems the expectation on your part was that each side (Claire and Barry) would be equally weighted each episode, but it's not. Overall, you're still getting a similar amount of gameplay, but how much gameplay you get per character is weighted differently depending on the narrative needs of that chapter. Apparently Barry's relationship with his daughter is the emotional thrust of the story (not surprising, really) so he's being sharply prioritized for the last stretch of the game.

Would I have liked to see more Claire gameplay? Sure. But I'm also open to this possibly working well, taken as a whole.

Who is this, really?
On episode one, she is a person that does not rely on people anymore. She favors guns over people (despite being strongly against this in CV). "She matured!" Fair enough, the world taught her to be more uptight. Fair enough.

On episode two, she doesn't know how to deal with Natalia? This is coming from the same bitch that babysat Sherry's ass in RE2 and Rani in Degeneration. Suddenly, she doesn't know how to deal with children? The way that Moira STOPS Claire implies that Claire doesn't know wtf she's doing with kids. Umm. What? Who the fuck does Moira think she is, really? Did Claire's sudden "maturity" disabled her ability to take care of kids, too?

On episode three, she couldn't give two shits about Natalia (again, this is coming from the bitch that was STALKING Sherry's poor little ass in RE2 to make sure she's fine), and all she cared about was Neil. Okay, the girl has a crush on him. Then when it's revealed that he's a traitor, she cries and says "I.. Just realized to see more clearly." But I thought "she matured!" I though the world made her uptight after the events she went through! What haooened to that strong Claire we JUST saw in episode 1? Just... What? Extremely inconsistent.

On episode four, the ending.

Four different personalities in four different episodes form the same game. Just no. All Claire fans are angry, this is not just me nitpicking.

Again, do realize that i absolutely LOVE this game. I enjoy it immensely, but I won't sugarcoat anything.[/spoiler]
And realize, I don't care whether you love the game, or hate it, or whatever. I'm just explaining why I feel the way I do, since you apparently think I'm being delusional.

I have different expectations of Claire's character because she's relatively new to me. Looking at her purely in the context of this game, she is a strong character, and a consistent character, and a human character (prone to irrationality because, y'know, feelings and shit). She also has a sense of humor and a bit of snark, when appropriate. And she's not without her share of heroic qualities.

There's nothing inconsistent with how "strong" she is from episode to episode, either.
Her reaction to Neil's betrayal is not just the reaction of a possible crush, it's the profound sadness you feel when someone you believed in, someone you thought represented your worldview, turns out to be someone else entirely. Neil — and more to the point, what he represented, which was the good work of TerraSave — was clearly a fixed point for Claire that kept her anchored in life. Because no matter how bad shit got in the world, you still had good people like Neil and his organization to give the world hope. That's the thrust of Claire's reaction. A violation of her faith.

As for how she was in regards to Natalia, it does seem inconsistent with how she apparently was in past games. But people change. So do their longings, and their priorities, accordingly.

Who is this, really?

This is a translation error. She doesn't actually say that.

Neiteio

Episodes 1 and 2 are that short too if you're "efficient."

My fastest times while S Ranking every difficulty/mode are 13'30 / 11'57 on Episode 1 (Casual), 24'15 / 13'37 Episode 2 (Countdown), and 28'40 / 25'41 Episode 3 (Countdown) and those aren't even remotely close to the top leaderboard times.

I think Claire's Ep 3 was my longest First Time run, about 2 hours while trying to find every Drawing and Emblem and hidden thing on my own.
Yeah, but Claire's Episode 4 is VERY short regardless. Very light on gameplay. Just know that going in. There's hardly any fighting (contrary to what AdaWong said, there are still some enemies (spoiler:
Glasps
). It's more or less a bit of ambient exploration (in very cool-looking environments), a bit of in-engine exposition, and a high-pressure set-piece. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that much, since people should check their expectations. Claire's Episode 4 is like a coda to her Episode 3. It's a turning point, a catalyst for the events of Barry's story. Her story already climaxed in Episode 3, and it's all falling action now. And Barry's Episode 4 is where the bulk of content in Episode 4 is found. His relationships are the emotional thrust of the story, which is probably readily apparent to anyone who played the first three episodes.

AdaWong

I find it offensive that you thought I was being offensive.

And the "I don't care if you liked the game or not" part comes off as slightly rude.
I'm not telling you I like the game because I want you to acknowledge the fact. I'm telling you to show you I'm not just blatantly hating on the game, lol.

Neiteio

I find it offensive that you thought I was being offensive.

And the "I don't care if you liked the game or not" part comes off as slightly rude.
I'm not telling you I like the game because I want you to acknowledge the fact. I'm telling you to show you I'm not just blatantly hating on the game, lol.
I mean, I would hope you enjoy the product for which you're paying money. But I'm not one of those people where everyone has to like what I like, or not like what I don't like.

Of course I want you to enjoy the things you anticipate. I appreciate your passion. And to be clear, I don't have a problem with you or anyone. My only criteria for respecting someone is that they're kind to others. And I respect you, for what it's worth. (Not that it matters what I think.)

I bristled a bit because you seemed to be suggesting I was trying to justify something I didn't actually like. But that's not what I'm doing. I'm looking at the game as a whole, and from my POV it looks solid. I think the fact it's broken up into episodes makes some elements seem uneven, when in reality it's a well-balanced and well-paced story where the events of one character sets up the other.

Just my two cents. No disrespect intended.

AdaWong

I mean, I would hope you enjoy the product for which you're paying money. But I'm not one of those people where everyone has to like what I like, or not like what I don't like.

Of course I want you to enjoy the things you anticipate. I appreciate your passion. And to be clear, I don't have a problem with you or anyone. My only criteria for respecting someone is that they're kind to others. And I respect you, for what it's worth. (Not that it matters what I think.)

I bristled a bit because you seemed to be suggesting I was trying to justify something I didn't actually like. But that's not what I'm doing. I'm looking at the game as a whole, and from my POV it looks solid. I think the fact it's broken up into episodes makes some elements seem uneven, when in reality it's a well-balanced and well-paced story where the events of one character sets up the other.

Just my two cents. No disrespect intended.

Don't worry about it. I see how my post could come off as a bit passive-agressive, but yeah, don't worry about it. And here's a Neiteio style smiley, despite how much the nose annoys me. :)

Neiteio

Don't worry about it. I see how my post could come off as a bit passive-agressive, but yeah, don't worry about it. And here's a Neiteio style smiley, despite how much the nose annoys me. :)
LOL, there are so many Voldemort smileys in the world, so I add the nose!

pizzacat

Banned
God damn it I thought capcom was making good games again.

Oh that's right it's still a good game, literally 7 people in the world care about Claire because as everyone has said Capcom have made her irrelevant

Astral Dog

God damn it I thought capcom was making good games again.

Oh that's right it's still a good game, literally 7 people in the world care about Claire because as everyone has said Capcom have made her irrelevant

"literally" more than 7 people care about Claire, is it wrong that some people think her character deserves more than her questionable lines on Revelations?
although some complaining, like her new design,can be too much.

The kill X amount of enemies with sub-weapons records are so frustrating. Especially Barry's episode two, it's the last one I need to get and it's driving me nuts.

I really hope Raid mode doesn't become the norm for the series. It's a complete bore for me. Mercenaries is hugely superior.

It is rather dull compared to the fast-paced, arcade action in Mercs. I'm pretty sure Mercenaries will remain the norm for the main series though, and they'll keep Raid mode for Revelations.

Still trying to catch up with everyone. Currently at the forest bits early on with Barry and holy fuck is my PS4 making ungodly noises as well as never even hitting 50fps anymore....

Yeah, nothing like that to kill a quiet, intense mood

Thinking im just gonna play this on XboxOne instead. Yay for waisting $25 on the season pass >=(

Top Bottom