• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Neiteio

1. I rarely let monsters get close to me. And if they are they get a Shotgun to the face.

2. I have an over abundance of medical herbs

3. I come from the old school where we had no dodge and we needed no dodge.

Plus, The game (on normal) is more or less easy
...but dodging looks and feels awesome.

Dat feel ducking under a horizontal axe swing.

Dat feel leaping back so a jumping Afflicted face-plants at your feet and you can finish it.

Not dodging is like not doing suplex in RE4.

Grisby

They also did the same thing for RE5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWQVtk4CAuY
So apparently they still use the Disney approach for cutscenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nJPmEfaEpI

Just found that interesting.
Yeah, and RE5 has some of the best cutscenes I've seen in a game.
3. I come from the old school where we had no dodge and we needed no dodge.

Plus, The game (on normal) is more or less easy
Watch out, we got a (RE) badass over here.

Neiteio

I caught a glimpse of some ending spoilers.

I'll just say "holy shit" and "did not expect this."

Also, I'm super-excited for the series' future.

Do different characters have different movement speeds in Raid Mode? I started playing as HUNK and he feels really sluggish compared to playing story mode.

SkylineRKR

Dodging in this game is pretty good. Getting Evade cancel in Campaign is going to take a little grinding though.

As usual, you have to dodge to the non dominant hand of a monster. Saved my ass against the Episode 3 boss. It can also save you against those cheap ass suicide bombers.

joe2187

Banned
copped this on steam yesterday, not too happy about how enemies don't react to your melee attacks if they're not the target, they don't fall down or get thrown off; also, raid seems significantly slower than either re5 or re6 mercs

campaign is pretty good so far

I also don't know how capcom managed it but the pc port is kinda wack, had to put a dx9.dll so it was playable

It takes a bit to get used to but here are some combat tips.

- Flashlight stun stun with moira, immediately switch to Claire and use her knock down prompt. Then either follow up with claire while they're on the ground or switch back to Moira for the finisher with the crowbar.

- Use the pus blobs to your advantage, whenever you see an enemy with the glowing tumor, pop it in the head and use the blobs to create improvised land mines. shooting them just before an enemy walks near them will deal massive damage and often kills the bigger enemies outright.

- Moira can put an enemy into a stun state with repeated crowbar hits to the back.

- Headshot = Stun + melee + follow up should be your go to state of combat.

- The bigger enemies have specific weak points that can be exploited, ETC: Shooting the exposed skin on the hammer bros, glowing pustules and whatnot.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Speaking of dodging

G47kfO.gif

jyoung188

Speaking of dodging

G47kfO.gif

Yeah I need to dodge more, I keep forgetting that I even have that ability in this game.

And please people don't even hint anything about the ending please. I've been mainly focusing on raid mode and haven't even finished the first chapter yet o_O

Great, now I'm worried for all of the characters. :-

On a side note, it's amazing how many puzzles they squeezed into Claire's Episode 3:

- Falling spike ceiling room where you retrieve the processing plant key
- The walk through the darkness to retrieve the glass eye
- Returning to the falling spike ceiling room to retrieve the artificial eye
- Splitting up Claire and Moira to survive the blade-trap room
- Moving and dropping meat to fill up the blood machine
- Splitting up Claire and Moira to turn off the fire traps
- Splitting up Claire and Moira to solve the four faces
- The four rows in the cemetery under the tower

There might be others, but what a great collection of brain teasers. :)

Yup, the best since the old days. I loved that episode so much.

I did do Barry's finally, not as good as Claire's but decent. I loved the large area at the end. They honestly should have done more with it but I guess this isn't as intense an action game as the last few REs.

Neiteio

Yup, the best since the old days. I loved that episode so much.

I did do Barry's finally, not as good as Claire's but decent. I loved the large area at the end. They honestly should have done more with it but I guess this isn't as intense an action game as the last few REs.
Yeah, they could've waged all-out war in Barry's last area of Episode 3 — it has more explorable geometry than any single area I can think of from recent REs — but I actually dig the suspenseful "when is shit gonna happen" sort of vibe that comes with it seeming so desolate and abandoned. Plus, the creature introduced there is AWESOME. I love rewatching my encounter with it (click).

Neiteio

That was one hell of an entrance.
Haha, I know, right? And the way they tease it beforehand with the
tentacle snatching the corpse
and
all of the bloody bodies strung up on the ceiling
... You knew something terrible was going to happen, haha.

News Bot

Banned
The Revanants in this game are just so much better than anything that appeared in BIO5 or BIO6, it's staggering. I'd put them on the same level as the Regenerador.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
hahaha, holy crap. I guess maybe i should consider putting points into dodging more.

Jill has two skills that make a huge difference. One skill gives her a huge buff to her dodge distance, and then other skill gives her invincibility frames.

Vanilla dodge doesn't have any invincibility frames that I can detect. You literally have to dodge the attack. But with those two upgrades, dodge becomes more powerful.

Evolved1

You have some invisibility frames skill or something? Because when they're that close to me and still attempt to grab they succeed. I have Jill's dodge fully upgraded.

You only have one of her dodge skills upgraded?

Do the other... it gives you the frames.

Shauni

why in the PC version , the name of the game is Bio hazard ?

even the intro warring when i run the game in japanese

This is when you run the game in Japanese, you say? Well, Biohazard is the actual name in Japan of the franchise. It's Resident Evil everywhere else, but not in the homeland. Maybe it changes it to that when you run the game in Japanese?

L.O.R.D

This is when you run the game in Japanese, you say? Well, Biohazard is the actual name in Japan of the franchise. It's Resident Evil everywhere else, but not in the homeland. Maybe it changes it to that when you run the game in Japanese?

no , i run the game in English , but the 4 screen background and there some japanese text

i know the default name of the game is Biohazard
but , even RE4 in steam called Biohazard 4

Yeah, they could've waged all-out war in Barry's last area of Episode 3 — it has more explorable geometry than any single area I can think of from recent REs — but I actually dig the suspenseful "when is shit gonna happen" sort of vibe that comes with it seeming so desolate and abandoned. Plus, the creature introduced there is AWESOME. I love rewatching my encounter with it (click).

Yeah great boss battles so far.

The lack of that action intensity is what is keeping this game from all time classic for me. I don't need a game to be a certain way but I do expect it to do whatever it does to the bed it can. I personally still am not thrilled with the combat in this game, it has good moments but to me nothing like RE4/5 level greatness. But then you get gameplay segments like Claire where it is such a different kind of game and the action takes a back seat and it is amazing. The whole game could have been more of that, or a better balance of that and the action.

I think maybe it needed a better identity, I think it should be more puzzle focused, more limited ammo. But still the overall product has really surprised me, there are many excellent ideas in there. Some great enemies, great gameplay scenarios and boss battles.

Evolved1

No!

I have Scavenger, Dodge move, Charge melee, faster knife and full health upgrade. My 6th will be Leon's stronger knife and I can't have any others. Fuck them frames.

I ditched scavenger when I got the fourth weapon. At that point it's a little redundant.

Also if you say the game is too easy... well then I guess your max health is a bit redundant too?

Lork

no , i run the game in English , but the 4 screen background and there some japanese text

i know the default name of the game is Biohazard
but , even RE4 in steam called Biohazard 4
Did you by any chance get the game in that GreenManGaming sale? I did, and got the exact same thing (Biohazard and Japanese intro screens). Meanwhile, my friend who used the same sale got "Resident Evil". I think they just got a random assortment of keys from different regions and lumped them all together for the sale, since the actual game can be played in English regardless of which version it is.

Great, now I'm worried for all of the characters. :-\

On a side note, it's amazing how many puzzles they squeezed into Claire's Episode 3:

- Falling spike ceiling room where you retrieve the processing plant key
- The walk through the darkness to retrieve the glass eye
- Returning to the falling spike ceiling room to retrieve the artificial eye
- Splitting up Claire and Moira to survive the blade-trap room
- Moving and dropping meat to fill up the blood machine
- Splitting up Claire and Moira to turn off the fire traps
- Splitting up Claire and Moira to solve the four faces
- The four rows in the cemetery under the tower

There might be others, but what a great collection of brain teasers. :)

While they're not complete brain busters, you still feel good figuring them out and going "Doh!" if you had to die once to learn lol.

And I absolutely LOVE Silent Hill style riddle puzzles- the cemetery puzzle was my favorite.

Neiteio

While they're not complete brain busters, you still feel good figuring them out and going "Doh!" if you had to die once to learn lol.

And I absolutely LOVE Silent Hill style riddle puzzles- the cemetery puzzle was my favorite.
Yeah, they also enhance the pacing and encourage you to examine your surroundings more closely, which is always a good way to immerse oneself in a virtual world. :)

Alfredo

So apparently they still use the Disney approach for cutscenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nJPmEfaEpI

Just found that interesting.

I once went to a Resident Evil panel hosted my Reuben Langdon (the mocap guy for Chris in RE5 and Dante in DMC3/4), and he showed off a bunch of "pre-visual" stuff they did for RE6. He said it's all up to Capcom to release the footage, and I would freakin' love that. I find the stuff fascinating (also, seeing Troy Baker cosplaying as he acts out Jake's scenes is too good not to share).

As a side note, in Rev 2, Episode 3, what's the REAL way to solve
the last puzzle in the burning building
? I ended up just using the process of elimination to find the solution, which took me 3 tries...

L.O.R.D

Did you by any chance get the game in that GreenManGaming sale? I did, and got the exact same thing (Biohazard and Japanese intro screens). Meanwhile, my friend who used the same sale got "Resident Evil". I think they just got a random assortment of keys from different regions and lumped them all together for the sale, since the actual game can be played in English regardless of which version it is.
no , got it from nuuvem

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I once went to a Resident Evil panel hosted my Reuben Langdon (the mocap guy for Chris in RE5 and Dante in DMC3/4), and he showed off a bunch of "pre-visual" stuff they did for RE6. He said it's all up to Capcom to release the footage, and I would freakin' love that. I find the stuff fascinating (also, seeing Troy Baker cosplaying as he acts out Jake's scenes is too good not to share).

? I ended up just using the process of elimination to find the solution, which took me 3 tries...

Moira can climb up the pipe that falls and run around to the back of the doors. From there, she can see which one is not trapped.

I loved that scene, so intense

Moira can climb up the pipe that falls and run around to the back of the doors. From there, she can see which one is not trapped.

I loved that scene, so intense

I knew there was something more to those.

I picked the right door on chance the first time and was all, "well that wasn't anything special". XD

ArjanN

I knew there was something more to those.

I picked the right door on chance the first time and was all, "well that wasn't anything special". XD

The trap is randomized, so there is no process of elimination. :p

Either you figure out the puzzle for real, or you take a 25% chance.

I didn't understand that 3rd one. Neighbour, 3 by 4th and behind or whatever. I have no idea what it meant, I had to ask a friend.

The trap is randomized, so there is no process of elimination. :p

Either you figure it out the puzzle for real, or you take a 25% chance.

That's what I'm saying, I got lucky and got the right one the very first time through without actually figuring it out and was like "huh, that's it?".

I didn't understand that 3rd one. Neighbour, 3 by 4th and behind... wtf?

If you want to know:

It means the next one is across by however many numbers it says (I think it was 3) and one row back (away from the gate you're trying to unlock).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
EVERYONE READING THE TOPIC: DO NOT LOOK AT USER 'soulluos' SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU DO NOT WANT EPISODE 4 ENDING SPOILERS.

Though I should give warning because he gave no warning to what the spoilers were pertaining too.

---

I love Riddle Puzzles, but honestly I don't think they're the absolute best. My favorite puzzles in any horror game come from Dino Crisis 1, and none of them have riddle puzzles. I think I really liked the puzzles in that game due to both how they were implemented in the environment, affected gameplay more than just the puzzle, and were fun to do. One puzzle changed the layout of the next room you'd be going through full of tough dinosaurs, another puzzle involved mixing gases together to get a clear color which was a bit more fun than it sounds, there were the laser gates that you could turn on, though turning them on made your path more complicated through the area but you could block off velociraptors from getting to you or seal them off between laser gates so you had to weigh how helpful/hurtful it'd be, or some fun simple logic puzzles, like this one stacking batteries puzzle or another one about turning pipes.

I like riddle puzzles, but I also like puzzles that affect and are intertwined with regular gameplay, and puzzles that are fun little 'games' in themselves.

Neiteio

The riddle puzzles are the best, always.

ALWAYS.
The poop will be scooped once the third turd from the left is stepped on

But another turd must be shat four turds down from the third

And not before another turd is shat four turds above that

Impossible puzzle, you stand in what you shit

Top Bottom