• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Does anyone know how to reach the crate in the claire + moira room with the spinning blades you grab the slaughterhouse key from?

SeanTSC

Still nothing. Unless I was supposed to do it while the blades were moving, they stopped now.

Yeah, you can't do it after the blades stop. It has to be right away when they start.

I *think* you can keep one out of the room, hit the switch to open the door after triggering it, then run back in and boost up, then run Claire back out to safety, but I only went up there once and got all the stuff and never tried it again.

I really hope Raid mode doesn't become the norm for the series. It's a complete bore for me. Mercenaries is hugely superior.

I don't see why they couldn't do both. The two seem like they'd complement each other well. The more open arena stages could be used as Mercenaries levels, and Mercenaries levels could easily be used as Raid mode stages.

Personally, I love Raid mode, but I never liked Mercenaries. The threat of infinitely respawning insta-kill chainsaw guys who could come from any direction always made me way too tense.

Papercuts

Yeah, you can't do it after the blades stop. It has to be right away when they start.

I *think* you can keep one out of the room, hit the switch to open the door after triggering it, then run back in and boost up, then run Claire back out to safety, but I only went up there once and got all the stuff and never tried it again.

Damn. I tried to reload and it reset the blades but I still had the key and couldn't do it again.

Is anything good even up there?

SeanTSC

I could never really get into Mercs. I haven't played Raid Mode much, but I like it so far. Little small chunks with set goals and ends to meet. Makes me feel like I'm working towards something. Wasn't part of Mercs like endless waves of stuff? I could be wrong, but that's what I remember from the one I tried and it's been quite a while. I hate stuff that can go on infinitely.

I could never really get into Mercs. I haven't played Raid Mode much, but I like it so far. Little small chunks with set goals and ends to meet. Makes me feel like I'm working towards something. Wasn't part of Mercs like endless waves of stuff? I could be wrong, but that's what I remember from the one I tried and it's been quite a while. I hate stuff that can go on infinitely.

Pretty much score attack to unlock more stages/characters...

Yeah, outside RE4, I've never cared for it. Glad it helped out RE6 as much as it did tho :)

Infinitely enjoy Raid mode more...

Papercuts

Mercs had a hard limit, though I don't remember if it was the same in every game. 150 was the enemy amount in 5 and 6 atleast, a big part of it was actually cashing out the extra time after you cleared everyone since the spawn waves were the same, and trying to hold a combo the entire time.

I love the mode and greatly prefer it to Raid, but I get the appeal of both.

After a cursory glance through the thread it seems like the game doesn't run well on PCs?

I've got a 290 + 4790k and an xbone; I'm wondering which would be the better platform to buy the game on? I know my PC is much better than the xbone, but I don't want to play it on PC if I'm going to be getting constant frame rate drops, etc.

Grisby

I like both raid and mercs, but if I had to choose one it would definitely be mercs. The score attack stuff is just too strong, as is the increased emphasis on physical kills.

Of course, in this perfect world we get both. Which I'm fine with.

After a cursory glance through the thread it seems like the game doesn't run well on PCs?

I've got a 290 + 4790k and an xbone; I'm wondering which would be the better platform to buy the game on? I know my PC is much better than the xbone, but I don't want to play it on PC if I'm going to be getting constant frame rate drops, etc.

I don't have many issues with the game myself on my PC, I think it's mostly AMD cards that have issues with it (I have an AMD HD 7850 and I had a lot of issues in episode one [just the rooms in the prison with lots of lighting going on] but haven't had many at all in the subsequent episodes.)

If you have the spare cash I'd suggest just trying out the first episode and see how it runs. Otherwise just get it on the Xbone.

I don't have many issues with the game myself on my PC, I think it's mostly AMD cards that have issues with it (I have an AMD HD 7850 and I had a lot of issues in episode one [just the rooms in the prison with lots of lighting going on] but haven't had many at all in the subsequent episodes.)

If you have the spare cash I'd suggest just trying out the first episode and see how it runs. Otherwise just get it on the Xbone.

Are the two versions pretty much identical? That DF thread said that PC with highest settings pretty much matched consoles which is disappointing.

But since your issues were isolated to one area, I might just grab it on steam.

Vamphuntr

Are the two versions pretty much identical? That DF thread said that PC with highest settings pretty much matched consoles which is disappointing.

But since your issues were isolated to one area, I might just grab it on steam.

When DF analyzed it there was an issue though. The game was patched later on and the notes included information about how shadows were set to low no matter which settings you chose beforehand.

I have the same CPU as you and my GPU is GTX970 and sometimes there is stutter and you feel the game isn't very 60 FPS when there are flames around. When it stutters it seems because it taxes out the CPU a lot and it shouldn't.

Wow, so I'm playing the first episode...I just arrived at the
prison
with Claire. I don't know how far I am but I already have a strong feeling that this game could be the true successor to RE 4. Controls are great, the atmosphere is.....well this RE actually has atmosphere. The sound effects are good, too. Also: You have to find keys and (probably) solve puzzles? It's not the return of survival horror but this could be a revival for the series (if this game is as good as the first 45 minutes of episode 1).
And the graphics are surprisingly good so far.
NICE.

Pimpbaa

What's up with the fucked up brightness on the ps4 version? It's as if I have the black levels at the wrong settings, but but my ps4 and TV are set to full. Most of the time I have to turn up the brightness in games, but in this game I have the lower the brightness all the way. Should have got the xb1 version, the black crush problem on that system might have helped this game.

I played Mercs RE4 and 3D, but it never really clicked with me, and the whole gameplay and tone totally didn't fit with the main Resident Evil style.

Playing Raid Mode it in Revelations 1 though, it immediately struck me that this has boiled the Resident Evil formula down to a perfect science. It incorporates adventure, exploration, puzzle solving in some levels and even can be genuinely a little bit scary at some moments - all of which Mercs lacked. I get that some people find Mercs funner but Raid Mode has nailed what a perfect Resident Evil bonus mode should be like, at least to me.

This is incorrect. You get the 2 bonus episodes for getting the $25 complete season digitally. The only exclusive Raid mode character to the retail version is Wesker. Everyone else is included in the complete season digital download.

Loool wow ok. I was considering going for retail, thanks for the heads up.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The retail version is the same as the $40 Complete Pack on digital services. $25 Complete Season includes the four episodes, the two bonus episodes, and HUNK in Raid Mode. The $40 version (and retail) includes all of that too, plus Albert Wesker in Raid Mode, four costumes for the campaign & Raid (one for Claire, Barry, Moira, and Natalia), and the Raid Mode Throwback Pack (four stages for Raid Mode).

These can be bough separately as DLC for slightly more expensive. Physical version is also, of course, physical.

General consensus with episodes 1, 2, and 3 is that each episode is better than the last. Online looks like it's being added to Raid Mode on March 17th, no word on online for the main campaign at this time and likely anytime soon (but does have splitscreen co-op).

Neiteio

It really is...

I bought the Season pass on PS4, but already regret it. Bought Ep.1 on XboxOne and it's MUCH better, not to mention I don't have to listen to my PS4 scream at me because the game is seemingly poorly optimized ala Evil Within.
Seriously, Driveclub will make my PS4 just sort of audibly hum at worst whereas when I got into the forest area last night in RER2 on PS4, the fans went full throttle (turning on Barry's flashlight just exacerbated it). All of this while the framerate never hit anything about 45 or so, unless looking at a wall.
My PS4 doesn't make any sound whatsoever when playing this game.

My PS4 doesn't make any sound whatsoever when playing this game.

Yup, the legendary "silent" PS4s

Really wish I had one (I've been through 3 now) :(

I'm not crazy though. There's several threads on GAF about the PS4's fan noise as well as all kinds of YouTube videos

When DF analyzed it there was an issue though. The game was patched later on and the notes included information about how shadows were set to low no matter which settings you chose beforehand.

I have the same CPU as you and my GPU is GTX970 and sometimes there is stutter and you feel the game isn't very 60 FPS when there are flames around. When it stutters it seems because it taxes out the CPU a lot and it shouldn't.

Yeah that stutter is what I'm worried about, sigh, maybe I should just grab it on the xbone now and on steam next time there's a sale.

Neiteio

What's up with the fucked up brightness on the ps4 version? It's as if I have the black levels at the wrong settings, but but my ps4 and TV are set to full. Most of the time I have to turn up the brightness in games, but in this game I have the lower the brightness all the way. Should have got the xb1 version, the black crush problem on that system might have helped this game.
The default is the middle of the scale. For my TV (an LCD that doesn't have the deepest black levels), I lower it to six notches from the left. This looks great on my TV, and when I view my videos and screenshots on screens with deeper black levels, like my PC and smartphone, the shadows are deeper but the image is still clear. So if you play around with the in-game brightness a bit, you'll find a good balance for your set. I did something similar for Alien: Isolation.

Oh wow, I shooting the fire extinguisher reveals the invisible enemy 0_o Wait, does that mean I can do the same with the smokescreen bomb?!?!
Yeah, I just discovered this while replaying Barry's Episode 3 last night. This is a godsend in the sluice section where the invisible enemies can easily flank you. It's harder to get a reference point since Natalia is separated from Barry, so it's very useful using the extinguishers/smoke bottles to detect the invisible enemies.

This is all detailed pretty well in the OP. The retail version comes with all the episodes (4 main + 2 bonus) that you get with the season pass, as well as a quirky costume pack, Wesker for Raid Mode, and four maps for Raid Mode. I think the retail version may be a little cheaper than all of that together, but it doesn't make much of a difference. It just depends on how much what I detailed to you is worth $15 extra.
To be clear, the "quirky costume pack" in the retail pack is the same Rodeo Claire, Urban Ninja Moira, Commandant Barry, and Lottie Natalia you can buy as DLC, correct?

Does anyone know how to reach the crate in the claire + moira room with the spinning blades you grab the slaughterhouse key from?

Apparently both of them have to be in the room and Claire can boost Moira up to get it.

I'm trying that but not getting a prompt. Weird.

Got to get the key first, with both if them in the room.

Still nothing. Unless I was supposed to do it while the blades were moving, they stopped now.

Damn. I tried to reload and it reset the blades but I still had the key and couldn't do it again.

Is anything good even up there?

Yes, I believe there's a Gold Part in the Moira lockbox.
I could've swore I did exactly what you guys describe: Grab the key, then have Claire in the switch room join Moira in the blade room as the traps approach, and then I pushed all along the wall (on the trap room side) trying to find a prompt to get boosted up. But no luck. Where exactly does the prompt appear?

Also, I found all the Kafka signs and insect larvae in Episode 3, but I'm missing just ONE of the 11 tower medallions. Any good guides on where they're all located?

And mental note to self: As Barry, in the sewers, I found a crowbar box I didn't open. Near the fence you can look through to see the area where
Vulcanblubber
appears.

I love Mikami and I wanted to like TEW but...honestly (and ironically)... the first episode of RE: R 2 is more survival horror than every hour of TEW. Of course it's not the "old" survival horror (RE, Silent Hill, etc) but it's a nice mix so far.

Pimpbaa

The default is the middle of the scale. For my TV (an LCD that doesn't have the deepest black levels), I lower it to six notches from the left. This looks great on my TV, and when I view my videos and screenshots on screens with deeper black levels, like my PC and smartphone, the shadows are deeper but the image is still clear. So if you play around with the in-game brightness a bit, you'll find a good balance for your set. I did something similar for Alien: Isolation.

I got the game to look ok by turning the brightness all the way down. The problem is that with every other game, the default is ok or sometimes too dark with my setup. But this game looks washed out by default (as if my ps4's black level were set to limited and my tv was set to full).

Edit: I dunno why I am questioning this considering how many other things are fucked up in this game.

ksdixon

Can anyone explain why... I find this to be the best Modern/3D Resident Evil ever made?

Hated RE4, Hated RE5's controls, tolerated RE6 but didn't like it at all. Hated REV1's scanning mechanic in single player (was it a co-op game also?) Fucking LOVE REV2.

Couple of things I like:
- Passing items back and forth in an intuitive menu system.
- Co-op scanning for items/marking enemies (seems like it would be very tedious switching back and forth in single player).

Shauni

To be clear, the "quirky costume pack" in the retail pack is the same Rodeo Claire, Urban Ninja Moira, Commandant Barry, and Lottie Natalia you can buy as DLC, correct?

Correct. I'm pretty sure everything that you can buy right now from the in game store will be what is in the retail release. The only thing I'm not sure on is the $1 weapons (The Samurai Edge, Chicago Typewriter, etc.).

Started episode 2 and have hardly any bullets, any tips for finding them in the fishing village or for how to take down the big axe swingers quickly?

Grisby

Started episode 2 and have hardly any bullets, any tips for finding them in the fishing village or for how to take down the big axe swingers quickly?
Try and blind them with the flashlight and then knock them to the ground. Stab and repeat. They're also weak in the very center of the chest.

Neiteio

Earlier I asked for help with two things, and I'd like to add a third. Here's what I need:

- A list of the 11 tower medallions in Episode 3. I have all of them except for one.

- More detail on how to reach the gold parts box up on the ledge in the blade trap room. So I grab the slaughterhouse key as Moira, flip the switch as Claire, move Claire into the blade trap room with Moira, and then you say I should be able to boost up to the ledge from inside the blade trap room... But where along the wall will this alleged prompt appear?

- I'm missing two files for Episode 3, the last two files when I go to Documents on the start screen. Is there a list of all the files and their locations? I've played all of Episode 3 twice now, and I haven't found them.

I love Mikami and I wanted to like TEW but...honestly (and ironically)... the first episode of RE: R 2 is more survival horror than every hour of TEW. Of course it's not the "old" survival horror (RE, Silent Hill, etc) but it's a nice mix so far.
Hmm, I'm conflicted. TEW was my GOTY 2014, and I wasn't even looking forward to it (despite the pedigree of the people involved). The game took me by surprise. What I most loved about TEW was the game balance, variety and pacing. But in ways I find myself enjoying RER2 even more. I think a big reason for this is the clearly defined setting of RER2. In TEW, the world is constantly shifting... and there's a reason for this, which is really cool, but since it's always shifting, you never get a strong sense of place, whereas RER2 clearly has a fixed location, and the game continually builds on that fixed location, which in the end is better for atmosphere and immersion.

Plus, the characters are much more likable in RER2. If there was one thing missing from TEW, it was a sense of levity. There's hardly any humor in TEW. I understand it's trying to be its own thing, and not simply relive the glories of RE. But a bit of humor and heart would've gone a long way for TEW. It can be relentlessly dark at times, so much so that I don't notice the occasional one-liners by Seb.

But like I said, TEW is a fantastic game. Definitely recommend playing it.

I got the game to look ok by turning the brightness all the way down. The problem is that with every other game, the default is ok or sometimes too dark with my setup. But this game looks washed out by default (as if my ps4's black level were set to limited and my tv was set to full).
For me, on my TV, turning the brightness all the way down was a bit much. Still looked good, but six notches from the left was perfect. It's a tad dark when viewed on other displays (such as a Macbook Pro, or a Samsung Galaxy S5), but still looks sharp and clear with plenty of detail -- just more shadows. Both "looks" are suitably atmospheric. Like I said, I think each person will have to try sliding up and down to find the combination that suits their display.

Neiteio

Grisby

Thanks for this, funny cat avatar man
More known to some, less known to others.

About the blades.
Have both ladies in the room, no switch pulling. Grab the key with one character while telling the other to wait near the ledge. Run over and the prompt should appear. Have character go up and get the box and quickly go to the switch room because the boosting character will still be in danger.

Quick question guys,whats the difference between the disc version and the episodic versions? Will the disc version ave all the trimmings aka loose dlc I'm seeing on Live or is it just a rip-off? I say this because the episodic version is just $25 and the disc version is $40. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Buying complete season from PSN/XBL gets you

4 main episodes
2 bonus episodes
Hunk for Raid mode.

Disc gets you

4 main episodes
2 bonus episodes
Hunk for Raid mode.
Wesker for Raid mode
Costume pack for Claire, Barry, Moira, Natalia (campaign and Raid mode)
Throwback map pack for Raid mode

You can buy the disc extras seperately to the complete season on PSN/XBL.

Everything else you see is pay DLC no matter what.

Neiteio

More known to some, less known to others.

About the blades.
Have both ladies in the room, no switch pulling. Grab the key with one character while telling the other to wait near the ledge. Run over and the prompt should appear. Have character go up and get the box and quickly go to the switch room because the boosting character will still be in danger.
I was -just- coming in here to ask this. How does the boosted character (Moira) rescue the stranded character (Claire) after getting the box item? There's a railing on the other side, so it doesn't look like Moira can drop back down to flip the switch...?

Neiteio

On another note, THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS. I see where they hid the last medallion I need, and I hate them for it, lol. It's the one in the
self-destruct sequence

tav7623

So I followed this guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH67f6RaN_g

...which allegedly shows all the notes, but I found all those notes, and I still have two empty slots in my documents listing for Episode 3, both at the end of the list.

Any ideas what they are and where they might be?

they are
the graffiti you see on the wall in the building where you have to get the first liver piece, one is in the room with the spike ceiling and the other is in the laser room, you need to go over to them and press X (or the action button) to "add" them to the list of documents/notes.

Neiteio

they are
the graffiti you see on the wall in the building where you have to get the first liver piece, one is in the room with the spike ceiling and the other is in the laser room, you need to go over to them and press X (or the action button) to "add" them to the list of documents/notes.
Oh, wow! Hahaha, amazing. I saw those but didn't interact with them. That's all kinds of silly. :)

Well, now the only point of clarification I need is the gold parts box in the blade trap room. So I grab the key, I -don't- hit the switch, and I boost Moira up top to the crowbar box. But... how does Moira get back down to flip the switch and save Claire? Can she hop the railing and drop down into the switch room?

Cubed

Oh, wow! Hahaha, amazing. I saw those but didn't interact with them. That's all kinds of silly. :)

Well, now the only point of clarification I need is the gold parts box in the blade trap room. So I grab the key, I -don't- hit the switch, and I boost Moira up top to the crowbar box. But... how does Moira get back down to flip the switch and save Claire? Can she hop the railing and drop down into the switch room?
Yes to your last question.

Doc Az

Neo Member
Just unlocked Cipher there, and yeah, the Katana is fun, but holy shit is it impossible to kill enemies with elemental perks on. You just can't get close without getting hit. Makes it hard to complete missions, as I keep fucking up and dying.

Doubt I'm going to use him much though, as he seems to rely on inherited perks. I'm just going to max out his Katana skill and inherit it, so I can stick it on a character I actually use, like Moira.

Fun little addition, regardless.

Neiteio

I NEVER play as Moira until necessary, and this is the first time I've seen a Kafka drawing.

What the hell have I been missing?
Hahaha. XD

There are Kafka drawings hidden in every level. Moira finds them with her flashlight. Finding them all unlocks a secret file for that chapter. There are six in Episode 3, for example.

Likewise with Natalia, she can spot insect larvae, which appear as red clouds. She then hits them with a brick to kill them. Kill all the larvae, get another secret file.

And then all characters can spot the tower medallions. Shoot all of them for yet another file.

There are also always a number of military boxes you open as Moira, and gimmick ("small hand") boxes you open as Natalia.

Lots of stuff to look for in each level. It's why each episode takes me a few hours. I'm thoroughly combing each wall with the flashlight, looking over each corner with Natalia, etc.

Also, you find a lot of ammo, weapons parts and treasure (worth BP) by playing as Moira and Natalia.

Top Bottom