• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Jobbs

Banned
Are you on the web store? Open psn store in a web browser and find the game there. Then add it to your PS4 downloads. Sorry if that's what you've already tried.

thanks for the tip. this worked. I was in the same insanity loop others were.

I've avoided reviews. I don't need to be buzzkilled by people who probably just don't get it (I enjoyed RE6 and RER1) or who just don't think the old formula is "next gen gameplay" enough.. I just want to play some RE. can't wait!

Moira is distractingly awful. She's ruining what is otherwise a pretty good game so far. Also, I have the subtitles turned on, and when she says "oh my god" it reads "omigod." Right now I'm absolutely praying that she stops being this fucking annoying. Soon. If not, $25 was too much.

lum0s

Banned
Nice. So, pre-ordering the PS4 version did allow for me to download the PS3 version, which I am doing at this moment. I did want this pre-order incentive as I do plan on owning the PS4 in the future (along with the Raid maps).

Thanks to tav7623 & mikeebi3 for the assistance in reassuring me to do so. And no thanks to Capcom/Sony for the PS3 version's pre-order problems.

Manu

Moira is distractingly awful. She's ruining what is otherwise a pretty good game so far. Also, I have the subtitles turned on, and when she says "oh my god" it reads "omigod." Right now I'm absolutely praying that she stops being this fucking annoying. Soon. If not, $25 was too much.

I chuckled at
"well, fuck that place very much."

But yeah, she's pretty bad.

netguy503

Nice. So, pre-ordering the PS4 version did allow for me to download the PS3 version, which I am doing at this moment. I did want this pre-order incentive as I do plan on owning the PS4 in the future (along with the Raid maps).

Thanks to tav7623 & mikeebi3 for the assistance in reassuring me to do so. And no thanks to Capcom/Sony for the PS3 version's pre-order problems.

Is this game still up for preorder? I'd only get this game if I got it with PS3 version for free.

lum0s

Banned
Is this game still up for preorder? I'd only get this game if I got it with PS3 version for free.

The store now lists the game as an "Add to Cart" purchase rather than "Pre-Order", so it doesn't seem like it. I'm not sure how strict Capcom is going to be about the cross-buy, since the descriptions don't say anything about cross-buy to begin with, but they initially said that it was only for pre-orders. Maybe they'll extend the offer but I have no clue, and wouldn't assume so unless they state otherwise.

Quick one hour impressions

• Something feels off with the feel of the characters. The control layout is fine but there is something weird about how everything feels. I feel like there was a weight to the TPS RE games that seems to be off in this one. Not even Revelations 1 felt like this. It feels janky.
  • Graphically looks like I am playing an HD remastered version of a PS2 game. The models are so basic, lighting so bland. But it is super smooth, seems 60 FPS to me.
  • Combat feels most like RE4. Now before you get all excited imagine if they took RE4 and stuck it all in tiny hallways with no real thought put into the layout. But I find the usual tactics work, shoot in head, run in and kick. Or shoot the leg then knife them.
  • I have only used stealth once on one of the big dudes, seems nice to have. Moria's light stun is actually too powerful, you can stun an enemy and just go crazy with her crowbar and when they fall she gets an instant kill attack.
  • This game is kind of hard. I am playing on normal and I died a few times. There is a serious lack of ammo and enemies don't drop anything. So even though I was playing this like RE4 it does not have the ammo like RE4.
  • Damage is serious, if you get hurt odds are you will bleed and continuously take damage unless you use a tourniquet. Even then you still need an herb to clear away the status effect. So if you don't have one tough luck. I was burning through health quick.
  • So far there have been one or two interesting rooms but it has mostly been a bunch of enemies walking down a hallway. There have been a few traps and one area where you need to move and activate some traps to survive.
  • Seems like there is some crossover between each chapter, I got a message saying what I do in Claire's chapter will effect Barry's chapter, kind of an RE2 throwback.
  • There are tons of stats and goals being kept track off, seems like replayablity will be huge.
  • Dialogue is pretty bad but I got a great laugh out of the barry joke.
  • Tried one raid mode mission, the mode itself seems way more fleshed out but the first mission was terrible. I assume it will get so much better but that is one hell of a bad impression, which is what will be many peoples first raid experience.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The classic feel of RE movement and gunplay isn't really here. The speed is cranked way up to the point you are just strafe dancing and juking attacks instead of concerning over graceful shots and positioning. Some will like the change, I miss the classic feel(re4/5 at least). Even hit effects are scaled back so enemies feel a bit spongier. There is limb/leg damage, but it's less pronounced than the previous games. Again feels very budget comparatively.

Just early thoughts so far, the scenario has been alright with occasional clever use of the character swap for light puzzle or combat assists(shine flashlight to blind monsters and such). Performs at a solid 60 on ps4, but it looks dated.

• Something feels off with the feel of the characters. The control layout is fine but there is something weird about how everything feels. I feel like there was a weight to the TPS RE games that seems to be off in this one. Not even Revelations 1 felt like this. It feels janky.
  • Graphically looks like I am playing an HD remastered version of a PS2 game. The models are so basic, lighting so bland. But it is super smooth, seems 60 FPS to me.
  • Combat feels most like RE4. Now before you get all excited imagine if they took RE4 and stuck it all in tiny hallways with no real thought put into the layout. But I find the usual tactics work, shoot in head, run in and kick. Or shoot the leg then knife them.
  • I have only used stealth once on one of the big dudes, seems nice to have. Moria's light stun is actually too powerful, you can stun an enemy and just go crazy with her crowbar and when they fall she gets an instant kill attack.
  • This game is kind of hard. I am playing on normal and I died a few times. There is a serious lack of ammo and enemies don't drop anything. So even though I was playing this like RE4 it does not have the ammo like RE4.
  • Damage is serious, if you get hurt odds are you will bleed and continuously take damage unless you use a tourniquet. Even then you still need an herb to clear away the status effect. So if you don't have one tough luck. I was burning through health quick.
  • So far there have been one or two interesting rooms but it has mostly been a bunch of enemies walking down a hallway. There have been a few traps and one area where you need to move and activate some traps to survive.
  • Seems like there is some crossover between each chapter, I got a message saying what I do in Claire's chapter will effect Barry's chapter, kind of an RE2 throwback.
  • There are tons of stats and goals being kept track off, seems like replayablity will be huge.
  • Tried one raid mode mission, the mode itself seems way more fleshed out but the first mission was terrible. I assume it will get so much better but that is one hell of a bad impression, which is what will be many peoples first raid experience.

Thanks for the impressions, about to start myself.

Although, was hoping you'd be available as DLC right away :(

The classic feel of RE movement and gunplay isn't really here. The speed is cranked way up to the point you are just strafe dancing and juking attacks instead of concerning over graceful shots and positioning. Some will like the change, I miss the classic feel(re4/5 at least). Even hit effects are scaled back so enemies feel a bit spongier. There is limb/leg damage, but it's less pronounced than the previous games. Again feels very budget comparatively.

Just early thoughts so far, the scenario has been alright with occasional clever use of the character swap for light puzzle or combat assists(shine flashlight to blind monsters and such). Performs at a solid 60 on ps4, but it looks dated.

Thats it, its speed up, it feels like I am floating around the stage than running. Its weird and doesn't feel as good as the other RE games.

I think it plays really smoothly, no issues with the controls. The texture quality may look outdated but the resolution, frame rate (it's 60), and environments create an awesome atmosphere IMO. Moira is my only problem right now but I'm already getting used to it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
watched the two different streams on ps4. one playing barry and one claire...not sure if its the streamers but this game looks awful to me so far...

What's raid mode, is it similar to mercenaries in RE4? 4 was my last RE and I remember havign tons of fun in Mercenaries, trying to perfect my play for the highest score. If it's anything similar I might just buy it only for that.

ChuckNyce

I'm gonna try to get a video up tommorrow but first impressions after playing Claire/Moira's part and the first Raid mission are pretty positive.

Graphics and gameplay - very cross gen but it performs well and looks decent enough. I started on Survival and ended up putting it back down to normal, the enemies on their own aren't too tough but there's some parts where they throw a ton at you. Combine hammer toting guys with fast bastards who leap across the damn screen and it can get a little intense. I'm liking the partner gameplay with Moira basically replacing the scanner from Revelations 1 by finding items in the environment, while also supporting Claire by stunning enemies with the flash light. Just wish coop wasn't limited to local split screen, I've got a friend who I'd love to play through this with (some SharePlay sessions may be in order).

Raid mode seems like they've added more unlocks and depth as well. I dug that mode in the first Revelations so looking forward to really sinking my teeth into it.

Characters & dialogue - Man did Claire get hit with the fugly stick. DAMN! Moira was annoying at first but she's actually starting to grow on me. The dialogue is Pretty much what you'd expect from RE, but I did chuckle at a few bits especially at the
Claire sandwich
line.

I only just started Barry's campaign but from the looks of it he starts with a pretty heavy arsenal so I'm guessing he'll be the more action heavy side. Looking forward to playing more tommorrow for sure.

What's raid mode, is it similar to mercenaries in RE4? 4 was my last RE and I remember havign tons of fun in Mercenaries, trying to perfect my play for the highest score. If it's anything similar I might just buy it only for that.

Its better. I full on loot game. You get a character, level them up, learn new skills. Battle through multiple levels taken from various games and battle all kinds of enemies. Enemies have levels as well and some have new abilities or are speed up, some are giant, some are mini, some have armor, some have new attacks. Each mission is timed and has special objectives to get a better rank, earn money to buy new gear or find loot which gives you better guns ect. There are rare guns too. Its super awesome.

B-lZEGWUYAA2vDK.png:large

lol.

Jobbs

Banned
initial impressions after about an hour..

• graphics are serviceable - nothing spectacular, but contrary to some others here I do think the character models look pretty good. 60 fps shouldn't be overlooked by developers, and this game demonstrates its worth. The overall visual fidelity of the game is nothing to write home about, but the fact that it runs at a stable 60 fps -- in my eyes -- makes up for it.
  • while the button layout isn't much different from other RE games, the feel of the controls is quite new for an RE game. it's very fast and twitchy. you feel very light. in games like this, especially RE games, you come to expect some weight to the movement. the game plays easily enough but the feel may be a bit odd. this may be something that needs to grow on me or it may be a simple YMMV. it's hard to say it's bad or good, it's just different.
  • story/acting/pacing are all a bit wonky, but that's probably to be expected from an RE game. often it seems like a campy, poor man's interpretation of TLOU. Moira isn't as bad as some people make her out to be.
  • the flashlight stuff is an interesting angle, though I could see "making sure to sweep everything in every room as moira" to be a really vicious OCD output. the blinding aspect of the flashlight also seems to be pretty strong.
  • gameplay on normal seems to be at least somewhat challenging, I actually managed to die already (
    I turned the power on, killed someone with my magic flashlight, but got ambushed from behind
    ). I also noted earlier that a heavy attack will really fuck you up if you don't have bandages.
looking forward to more.

PensOwl

Banned
This is going to be terrible and I'm going to buy it anyways because I am a consumer whore with no dignity when it comes to resident evil

Manu

k, some quick Ep. 1 impressions before I go to bed since it's 4:30 AM here. What can I say? I'm a fanboy.

-The game doesn't look as bad as the previews suggest. Character models look kinda bad, especially on Barry's side. Also, Claire's level has tons of film grain while Barry's doesn't for some reason. Maybe different teams took care of each character?
-As MiamiWesker mentioned earlier, movement feels floaty, like in the first Revelations. Characters have no weight to their running animation. Movement in general feels faster and snappy than Rev 1, although not as fast as RE6.
-I like the combat. Again, it feels like a more frantic version of Rev 1. Level design though is pretty meh and enemy encounters don't use the layouts for anything interesting.
-Atmosphere is really good, and there was an "oh shit!" moment during Barry's campaign that caught me completely off guard.
-Dialogue is what you'd expect from RE, some nice callbacks to the older games too. Moira sucks so far, but some of her dialogue made me laugh. Barry sounds like Barry, and after Alyson Court not returning this is a really good thing.
-Claire's sections feel like standard modern RE, while Barry's feel like TLOU-lite. Sometimes a bit too much. I still liked it.
-The bleeding mechanic is cool.
-Red herbs are back!
-Ending cliffhanger was great.

I enjoyed the episode, it was pretty much what I expected of it. No more, no less.

Squire

Banned
Impressions after playing the first section.

-It's definitely more horror than RE:R1. It's darker, there's blood everywhere, and the music is really creepy.
-It's kind of hard. There's very little ammo and the enemies don't drop anything at all, it seems.
-The voice acting is fine. Nothing remarkable, nothing offensive. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn seems to be the illusion, so that's awesome. New Claire is fine as well. I think it might be Kelly Sheridan, but I'm not sure.
-Controls are definitely off. Doesn't feel as smooth as REV1 managed to. All the action stuff takes some getting used to. I does a lot, so I'll probably play this first section again.
-#TeamMoira I actually kind of like her. Her quips are timed pretty well and I think she's funny, especially her comments on Barry. Kind of expected the bitching over her to be blown out of proportion from day one, but whatever. She's a millennial teenager and she talks like one. Big whoop.

Game's cool so far. 👌

I like a lot of what I'm reading here.

Beth Cyra

This largely sums up my experience now that I've finished Episode 1. However I do have one big one, and that I think the enemies are awful.

I know that REV 1 got some flack, but I found the Human/Underwater Monster Hybrids really nice and unique for the most part, where are REV are down right boring and awful.

Also I have a real problem in how they choose to balance the Enemies in the two chapters. When playing the second you get far more of a load out, however the bulk of the enemies you fight are far, far easier and much slower moving so it doesn't make any sense that they are placed here.

Lastly if I ever have to deal with Moira again in a future RE I may second guess the purchase, this character is beyond awful. Still Claire is nice to have back but goddess above do I hate Moira.

However I forsee Claire/Moira getting shipped just as its become normal for Chris/Piers.

rotar2

Neo Member
So I'm going through the game and I reach a point where

Barry and Natalia reach the control room, but I can't seem to find a key anywhere I look. Where in the world am I overlooking?

The game is fantastic so far and raid mode seems better than ever (albeit I only played about 45 minutes of it.)

DVCY201

What a twist! I'm liking the story way more than Rev 1 so far

Didn't recognize a lot of the voice actors, couldn't pick out which one was Claire either

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh, looks like embargo is up.

I'm working on it now. I've played through Episode 1 several times on three different platforms and now have it down to a science.

I didn't much like it at first but it's grown on me and there's definitely some fun in here. It's just...man, it's really ugly. It looks nowhere NEAR as nice as RE5 or 6. Not even close. I know it's low budget but, man. The level design too is very very bland. Just a bunch of featureless hallways, basically.

The combat is also nowhere near as interesting as RE6 (which I loved - so shoot me). It's just fast and twitchy with minimal tactical elements.

Still, it does play a lot better than the original Revelations which was just so slow and uninteresting.

Average time from 90 minutes to 2 hours.
That's about right. It's surprisingly fun for replays. I can do Claire's part in about 15 minutes now and get all S ranks.

Top Bottom