• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

AdaWong

Oh, looks like embargo is up.

I'm working on it now. I've played through Episode 1 several times on three different platforms and now have it down to a science.

I didn't much like it at first but it's grown on me and there's definitely some fun in here. It's just...man, it's really ugly. It looks nowhere NEAR as nice as RE5 or 6. Not even close. I know it's low budget but, man. The level design too is very very bland. Just a bunch of featureless hallways, basically.

The combat is also nowhere near as interesting as RE6 (which I loved - so shoot me). It's just fast and twitchy with minimal tactical elements.

Still, it does play a lot better than the original Revelations which was just so slow and uninteresting.

That's about right. It's surprisingly fun for replays. I can do Claire's part in about 15 minutes now and get all S ranks.

The fighting in this game is just so boring.

Literally all female characters have ONE melee attacks. I assume the same for male characters.
What kinda tragedy?

MechaX

I got the game to work by using the PSN store on my PC, but has anybody else had issues with getting Raid Mode to work? It has just been stuck on the "Installing, Please Wait" prompt for the past 20 minutes.

JayEH

Cool that this has Japanese audio. may try it out later. I need to hear all this Moira cursing in another language.

Neff

Cool that this has Japanese audio. may try it out later. I need to hear all this Moira cursing in another language.

From what I've read, Moira's pottymouth is due to the unwisely creative discretion of Capcom's Western translation team. Her method of speech in Japanese is modern, but nowhere near as explicit.

I got the game to work by using the PSN store on my PC

How did you do this? I can see the purchase on the web store from my PC, but no method of sending it to my PS4.

edit: ah, nm, I got it to work.

cvxfreak

Finished Episode 1 earlier with Claire and Barry. Having mixed feelings about this one myself. It's not a horrible game per se, but the low production values stick out like a sore thumb. The visual lack of polish and the subtle, but noticeable reuse of assets from other RE games. The progression style also seems lifted straight out of the original Revelations.

Did anyone find an uncanny resemblance between the dead body with the key at the beginning and Piers Nivans' mutated character model from RE6?

Just started raid mode. Holy crap there's so much stuff. The campaign was pretty enjoyable, except the
part where you're trying to knock down the wall with the logs.
That encounter didn't feel very well balanced unlike the "enemies overwhelm you" part in Claire's campaign.

^they can, but there's only 2 parts where that is possible.

NIN90

Can the episodes be purchased off Steam individually or are they only available bundled like some other episodic games (Telltale games)?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The fighting in this game is just so boring.

Literally all female characters have ONE melee attacks. I assume the same for male characters.
What kinda tragedy?
It's the same.

Both Claire and Barry also have stealth kills available though Barry's part focuses more on that (but you can stealth through a number of rooms as Claire as well to save ammo).

Game sounds pretty good to me, looking forward to playing it myself.
Lack of melee moves doesn't bother me, in the old RE's we only had the knife attack. What I want is a good atmosphere and a focus on survival, so I'm pleased to hear that ammo is scarce and the game is challenging. Didn't know about the bleeding mechanic, that's interesting.

Even though I bought this on PSN, I remembered that I still hadn't ever actually finished Revelations 1 on my PC, lol. Went through the rest of what I had to play tonight. I dunno why I never finished it before, just lazy I guess. Was so much shorter than I thought it would be.

Ready to start Revelations 2 though now.

Teknoman

Three questions: Is the music as good or anywhere close to what you'd expect from previous games?

Have they finally made the gun shots sound more powerful?

Graphics wise, any other entry in the series comparable?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Three questions: Is the music as good or anywhere close to what you'd expect from previous games?

Have they finally made the gun shots sound more powerful?

Graphics wise, any other entry in the series comparable?

For one, you can hear a small soundtrack sampler (from previews of the soundtrack that were posted to a music site) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsxtn8kxBzE

And the game's main menu theme here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkB1SQmsXqg

Other two, I cannot answer.

Doesn't the EU PSN store feature pre load? I have it preordered for a month but don't see anything downloaded yet. If not, will the downoad at least start at midnight when the console is in rest mode?

Jill Raid Mode gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5FlWStuoyU

Her stabbing knife attack is gone
Reversed roundhouse from Revelations is back
Double knee drop is back <3
No idea what her "stealth" from the back attack is.
Can't tell if that's her english voice or whatever.

Still annoyed that her ponytail goes through her damn backpack.

Doesn't the EU PSN store feature pre load? I have it preordered for a month but don't see anything downloaded yet. If not, will the downoad at least start at midnight when the console is in rest mode?

No pre-load I think, at least nothing is downloading from me and when I click it gives me an error.

I can't download the game. When I select Start in the library it appears the message "Cannot find the application. Do you want to look in Playstation Store?"

Anyone having the same problem?

Jobbs

Banned
just finished it episode 1. overall, I'm quite satisfied. the graphics aren't exactly cutting edge, (the character models look great, but you can often tell where they cut corners on animations) but the campaign was fun and engaging. I like the gameplay hook of having moira/other kid run point and switching back and forth.

I'm not sure exactly how long it took me, but it seemed like it was well over 2 hours. (my time was probably inflated by
how many attempts I made at the double crowbar door, trying to clear all the monsters, before finally realizing there was a flamethrower thingy.
) For $5 or whatever per episode, that feels like a good deal.

overall -- really nice. enjoyed it more than I enjoyed RE6.

Still playing the episode right now, but I admit I laughed when Claire said
"I was almost a Claire sandwich"
lol Then Moira's comment afterward was equally amusing.

Fangel

Neo Member
I can't download the game. When I select Start in the library it appears the message "Cannot find the application. Do you want to look in Playstation Store?"

Anyone having the same problem?

Had the same problem. I had to add the game to my ps4 download queue using the web store.

SeanTSC

Just beat Episode 1. I enjoyed it, besides making myself feel really stupid at the flamethrower thing puzzle!

I don't get the graphics complaints. It's not the best looking game ever, but it's very crisp and clear and runs well (on the PS4). Looks more than good enough for me and the whole "lol PS2 graphics" comments are complete bullshit. 1080p with some decent AA and AF and it seems to be at 60 FPS, which is all nice. I don't give a shit if it doesn't have the best lighting and shadows ever, especially in a 25 dollar game. The textures are serviceable too.

My main completes would be Enemy Design and the Partner Bullshit. I just don't like the designs, didn't like the Rev1 designs either, they're just not my cup of tea. It's not a huge deal though. The Partner Bullshit is Extreme Bullshit however. Making you run around as the second character to find shiny hidden items fucking sucks serious ass. God damn do I hate that. I'd have enjoyed it WAY more if not for that shit. I'll probably get over it though during subsequent runs while looking for the collectible shit and getting medals, but it seriously dampers the first go through and kills pacing unless you totally ignore it, which is hard for me to do.

So, other than that, I had fun. The one-liners are funny and it's a decent game. I'm definitely looking forward to more and finding out what happens.

Jobbs

Banned
It's going to be hard waiting out the physical release.

Seems like mostly everyone seems to have made a 180 on Moira, heh.

After having finished the episode, the complaints about Moira, in my view, are completely overblown. I didn't find her annoying at all. She cusses a lot, but that's never bothered me. The game sort of finds this "half-camp" tone that it does pretty well, and the characters, for the most part, work well within it.

Manu

After having finished the episode, the complaints about Moira, in my view, are completely overblown. I didn't find her annoying at all. She cusses a lot, but that's never bothered me. The game sort of finds this "half-camp" tone that it does pretty well, and the characters, for the most part, work well within it.

The dialogue works surprisingly well most of the time.

It's like they embraced the residentevil-ness of it and used it in their favor.

Autofokus

I don't get the graphics complaints. It's not the best looking game ever, but it's very crisp and clear and runs well (on the PS4). Looks more than good enough for me and the whole "lol PS2 graphics" comments are complete bullshit. 1080p with some decent AA and AF and it seems to be at 60 FPS, which is all nice. I don't give a shit if it doesn't have the best lighting and shadows ever, especially in a 25 dollar game. The textures are serviceable too.

Hmmm :(
rev2uosr5.png

I'm probably so used to high production values by that franchise..even harder for me to stomach. :/ But I'm waiting for more user impressions, I'm still in if the gameplay is fine.

The dialogue works surprisingly well most of the time.

It's like they embraced the residentevil-ness of it and used it in their favor.

RE and camp go hand in hand imo, so this is great to hear.

Kuraudo

Banned
Trying to wait until after episode 2 is out before buying this (it's my birthday on the 7th and I always like to pick up a game that day), but loving the impressions so far. Sounds like it'll be a fun game for £20.

SeanTSC

Hmmm :(

I'm probably so used to high production values by that franchise..even harder for me to stomach. :/ But I'm waiting for more user impressions, I'm still in if the gameplay is fine.

I never noticed anything that looked that bad while playing the campaign. I'm sure you can cherry pick an awful screenshot here or there. That looks like a Raid Mode shot, maybe there's some lower quality stuff in there. Overall nothing stood out that bugged me while playing through the main game, shrug. Either way it's a cheap game and it could look much worse and I'd still enjoy it. People's standards and expectations for graphics have gotten a little ridiculous I think. 1080p, 60 FPS, and decent AA/AF go a long way for me over everything else. I absolutely appreciated how amazing The Order: 1886 looks and loved the visual experience of that, but I certainly don't need games to look like that. Especially not $25 ones.

Some of you need to remember that this is coming to the Vita when you talk about this game's graphics and animation looking low budget. This looks on par to how the first Revelations looked only with slight next gen improvement.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Some of you need to remember that this is coming to the Vita when you talk about this game's graphics and animation looking low budget. This looks on par to how the first Revelations looked only with slight next gen improvement.
I don't think Vita was part of the original plan and, if I recall, that version is being worked on by Sony themselves. I doubt they limited the scope of the game for Vita.

Autofokus

I never noticed anything that looked that bad while playing the campaign. I'm sure you can cherry pick an awful screenshot here or there. That looks like a Raid Mode shot, maybe there's some lower quality stuff in there. Overall nothing stood out that bugged me while playing through the main game, shrug. Either way it's a cheap game and it could look much worse and I'd still enjoy it. People's standards and expectations for graphics have gotten a little ridiculous I think. 1080p, 60 FPS, and decent AA/AF go a long way for me over everything else. I absolutely appreciated how amazing The Order: 1886 looks and loved the visual experience of that, but I certainly don't need games to look like that. Especially not $25 ones.

Good to hear that you're enjoying it.
Just to be clear, I wasn't trying shitting on the game or its new (for the franchise) low price-tier approach. I'm just unsure if this could work for me or not.

I agree, people focus too much on visuals. I also like good looking games but that isn't my priority. Great graphics sure didn't save The Order.

I don't think Vita was part of the original plan and, if I recall, that version is being worked on by Sony themselves. I doubt they limited the scope of the game for Vita.

Yeah, that theory really needs to die.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Alright, reviews sold me. I wanted to wait for the box version but eh, I'll just go with the Complete Season. Can't wait to dig in, when I'm back home tonight.

Ricker

Ok so its still not working from the PS4,for god knows why,but I got the download to start by messing around from the web store,like some suggested...going to just start it for a bit because I have to head out soon,glad to see a lot of people liking the game for what it is...

So I just purchased the complete season on PS4 and I can't download it. What? =/

When I browse to library, it asks me to start the game instead of downloading it. What to do? Can't find it in the download list as well.

Slightly OT but anyone knows if the $100 offer for $15 back is still live or not?

BDrummer1606

Neo Member
Really enjoying this so far, just wish the main character with the gun controlled the flashlight. Anyways, it looks and plays very similar to revelations 1 to me right now.

Also is anyone else having deadzone problems on ps4? It seems like I have to move the stick a whole lot to get feedback from it, and this is especially bad during aiming

Top Bottom