• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Currently occupied with Rev1 and other games right now. Should I just wait for the full retail package for this?

Also, I know it's been asked before and I sincerely apologize, but why is the retail $40 but the Season Pass is $25?

thanks again guys

Grisby

Currently occupied with Rev1 and other games right now. Should I just wait for the full retail package for this?

Also, I know it's been asked before and I sincerely apologize, but why is the retail $40 but the Season Pass is $25?

thanks again guys
If you're not in any hurry I'd wait. You're not missing the online scene much because there is no online right now.

The 40 deal comes with the costumes, extra episodes, some extra raid levels, and I think some weapons. Pretty much everything. 25 bucks gets you all the episodes and the extra episodes.

If you're not in any hurry I'd wait. You're nor missing the online scene much because there is no online right now.

The 40 deal comes with the costumes, extra episodes, some extra raid levels, and I think some weapons. Pretty much everything. 25 bucks gets you all the episodes and the extra episodes.

Also I heard someone mention a $19.99 upgrade from the single episode version. Is this a PC only option? Because I saw it nowhere on PS4 unless it's within the game menu.

No, this also exists for the PS4 version. It is only visible in the in-game shop though (at least in EU).

I can't really say a lot about this but I think that Revelations 2 will in the end appeal much more greatly to long term fans of the series than Revelations 1 did.

Especially Episode 3 and 4.

But I might've already said too much. >_>

You have access to the full game?

Is Jessica in the game? I need answers.

Finally completed Barry's part of Episode One and honestly I preferred his side of the story. I still have to get better with using the partner characters to help me out but I really enjoyed this episode. I have the PC version and I noticed very little frame drops or performance issues in Barry's part. I know there was a patch a couple days after launch so if that fixed anything in Claire's half I don't know yet. One issue I did have constantly was if I Alt+Tab out to check something and go back in the game is very laggy for a few seconds then goes back to being ok. Hopefully that is addressed in the future. All in all I'm more than pleased with the $21 I spent for the Complete Bundle and I'm looking forward to Episode Two this week.

namDa65

How come this game does not have any coop splitscreen trophies / separate profile for the second player in raid mode? It's super disappointing for my brother.

Anyone know if the devs are patching this in when they add online coop?

Neiteio

I haven't tried splitscreen co-op yet. How is this handled in Raid? Does the second player just use one of the existing characters? Perhaps I should start leveling up a second character with this in mind... Or I could always de-level my own character, I suppose.

Decided to just jump in and buy the first episode for PS4 to see if I like it enough to get the full season for vita whenever that version releases. I needed some more Resident Evil in my life, dammit. Hopefully this is good.

Neiteio

Decided to just jump in and buy the first episode for PS4 to see if I like it enough to get the full season for vita whenever that version releases. I needed some more Resident Evil in my life, dammit. Hopefully this is good.
Looking forward to reading your impressions, O fanciest of clowns. I personally love RER2 so far, but I'll be interested to hear your take. No pressure to like it or anything!

slade

Finished Barry's story tonight. That was a nice twist at the end. Wonder what they are going to do with
Claire now. Maybe kill her? Six months on that island is a long time.

Neiteio

I see this Revelations 2 art floating around online. Claire's TerraSave outfit. Do we know if this will be in Raid at some point?

2701504-terraclaire.jpg

mikeebi3

I see this Revelations 2 art floating around online. Claire's TerraSave outfit. Do we know if this will be in Raid at some point?
This is a collab costume with Alpha Industries clothing line (notice the tag) in Japan, only for that region at this point

Neiteio

This is a collab costume with Alpha Industries clothing line (notice the tag) in Japan, only for that region at this point
I want to play as it. :-(

Although Rodeo Claire is still the GOAT

I think I heard about uncovered files showing Claire with short hair. What's that about?

I want to see it!

Ok, grinding in Raid mode might not be as bad as I though earlier since daily missions give you a lot of exp. So there's that at least.

Still if I'll want to switch character in the future (I'm playing as Claire currently) it will be a pain to level them up.

I cordially invite you to raid coop once it goes live. I promise there will be no surprises this time.

:D

Sure, it would be my pleasure.

Shauni

Finished Barry's story tonight. That was a nice twist at the end. Wonder what they are going to do with
Claire now. Maybe kill her? Six months on that island is a long time.

I highly doubt it. My thoughts is that the twist is misleading. I'm thinking that
Natalia is giving misleading information. Probably not intentionally, but maybe something like her memories have been altered or her sense of time and reality are messed up

Started my 2nd run through the episode to finish up the collectibles and to see if I can get a few more medals. I'm not a completionist so I'm not trying to get everything done.

One question, there are 20 "Tutorials" for Episode One and I've unlocked 13 of them. Are the others in Raid Mode or are they all supposed to be in the Campaign?

AdaWong

Claire showing that she has better games than Jill.

Ada also had an awesome streak for being in universally-agreed-upon-to-be-GOAT (RE2, RE4, [somewhat UC], and Damnation) but then RE6 happened :(

I love RE6 myself but how I feel towards it is NOT the consensus lol.

Hopefully Claire doesn't end up with the same fate.

Looking forward to reading your impressions, O fanciest of clowns. I personally love RER2 so far, but I'll be interested to hear your take. No pressure to like it or anything!

Well, I just beat Claire's chapter and played the first raid mission so I'll hit you up with some quick impressions of my time with it thus far, the good, the bad, and the iffy style. I'll start by just saying that so far it is a promising start and it's certainly piqued my interest.

The Good:

-Cheese: Over the years I've come to embrace the silliness of the resident evil franchise, and this provided some enjoyable lines, my favorite being the "terr doesn't have to end with rist" one.

-Level design: It's certainly nothing special, but after the initial linear tutorial section was over I was pleased with how it opened up, even if it was just a short while. It didn't really bring back the 'open ended environment with puzzles' style of the old RE games, since it was fairly guided and you aren't there long enough for the map to really become a character the way the mansion and police station did, but at least it's something and added a feeling of mystery and even a touch of foreboding that a linear hallway can't provide. Also, as a sucker for death traps in games, I absolutely loved the
spinning blades and flamethrower
. They added a little bit of tension and creativity to the fights, which I really appreciated. It gave me Evil Within vibes in that regard, which is doubly weird because apparently the level designer on this episode is a man named Shinji Mikami. Well, he's certainly doing his best to live up to his name.

-The combat: The mechanics felt like a nice little hybrid of RE4 and RE6. I like that the good ol' stun/melee is back and I really like the little evade move (which means I'm gonna LOVE Bloodborne), it's super satisfying to just barely sidestep a giant swinging weapon. I could have actually used a few extra moves ala RE6 though, as that game's combat system has grown on me recently.

-The enemies: RE games always have good enemy variety and this seems like it will be no exception. There is decent variety among the standard enemies so far and I like the
exploding head guys, and I really dig the big guys because their aggressive nature and long reach force you to really use the excellent dodge mechanic.
The enemies are nice and mobile too. Combined with the combat system I could see some pretty good encounters that could potentially come down the line.

-The pacing; It took me like 45 minutes to beat Claire's chapter and there was a good mixture of exploration, story, and combat.

-The fanservice: There wasn't too much (as far as I noticed) and what was there wasn't distracting or obnoxious unlike Lost in Nightmares, where the whole first half was an extended wink at the fans of the old games with out actually providing anything of what made those games actually good. I admit I chuckled at the Jill sandwich callback, too.

-Weapon leveling: I like how you equip individual skills to the weapons instead of leveling up stats.

-Kafka: I just love that a cheesball Resident Evil spin-off game of all things is littered with Kafka references.

-The Content: Damn son, this game is good value. Even for one episode, for $6 you are getting two chapters with a bunch of collectibles, additional challenge modes, ranks, a ton of raid mode stuff, and co-op.

The Bad:

-Weapon feedback: The combat mechanics are good, the feedback is not. The pistol feels incredibly unsatisfying to fire, and enemies aren't all that fun to shoot. You pop out some rounds like a pea shooter and enemies go limp. Where's the gore, the impact, and the visceral satisfaction to make combat encounters that much more lively and intense? The game took a lot of inspiration from The Last of Us, but it sadly did not take the amazing weapon sounds and enemy hit reactions. In a horror game this is especially crucial and pretty disappointing. Evil Within definitely spoiled me in this regard though.

-The loading: This is minor, but it's a little immersion breaking to have tiny little loading whenever you go through a door, and the raid mode hub and options menu have annoying loading times after doing anything in them as well.

-The HUD/ UI: This is especially egregious in raid mode. What intern designed this hideous, cluttered mess? I really, really, really do not need to see giant purple health bars on enemies. Maybe this wouldn't have been needed if they had thrown some good enemy damage reactions in the game...

The Iffy:

-The setting: It just feels lacking in character thus far. There's nothing bad about it, but so far it's been fairly monochromatic, and I don't know, not super interesting? The art direction is competent, but feels a little stock in it's interpretation of the macabre. I did like the brief bit of outdoors though, as it reminds me a tiny bit of the amazing lonely wooded village of RE4.

-The stealth: It's not outright bad I guess, but it doesn't add much. Enemies are lined up perfectly for easy stealth kills so far, and the level design and enemy behavior doesn't facilitate any sort of TLoU cat and mouse combat/stealth hybrid. It's just sort of there thus far.

-The co-op dynamic: I can see this being pretty fun in co-op actually, but I'm not sold on it's implementation in single player. I don't really like having to switch between the characters to highlight items or whatever, it just breaks the flow. With a real human the power dynamic and teamwork could be really fun, especially on higher difficulties.

-The length: I know it's super cheap, I've only played half the episode, and the amount of content absolutely mitigates this, but I still worry that 4 episodes of 45 minute chapters might not be enough time to really build up the encounters and level design to be appropriately intense. Like most of the things I'm iffy on, only time will tell how this will shake out.

-Raid mode: I can definitely see how this could get really fun and addictive, and I love how it has maps from RE6 (hopefully other RE games as well), but the awful hud, combined with the annoying loading times in the menu, and a very by the numbers first mission of laying waste to slow bullet sponges, doesn't give a great first impression. Nor does the absolutely overwhelming clutter of information, I really don't need or want the barrage of points, stats, skills, medals, emblems, etc. Just give a streamlined experience with good core mechanics, well designed challenges, and some solid unlockables for that carrot on the stick feel. But again, I can see raid mode being more fun if I spend more time with it, and it is a very generous inclusion for how much content it adds.

Well, my quick impressions turned quite bloated as it turns out (sort of like some aspects of this game),so my apologies.

TL;DR: It's a promising start, I've enjoyed my brief time with it and am looking forward to jumping back in soon. But the up-coming episodes will make or break it honestly. If the game builds on this foundation by ramping up the encounters, enemies, and scenarios it could be quite a good little game. But if the other episodes are stagnant then the game will ultimately be pretty forgettable.

JJD

Guys any guides with good loudouts for different characters?

I'm interested in trying a melee character but I have no idea how to to do it! Lol!

Also, what is the best way to deal with those hulking enemies with a hard carapace? I always waste a lot of ammo on those guys.

played a bit of it tonight and so far its a mixed bag for me. i don't mind the "lesser" graphics, it still looks good overall but one thing that is nearly is a deal breaker is the response animations to gunshots. i haven't gotten far and maybe its different when you get some of the better guns but early on the gunshots/animation response feels like something cheesy out of an MMO. there's minimal response to the shots.

compare that with resident evil 4, a game that is over 10 years old, which had fantastic response animations and gave weight to your shots. we'll see

Sora_N

Will the retail version be limited?

I have a preorder and only got $4 off, just don't want to miss out if it is.

Also is this game supposed to be more scary like the older games? I'm more a fan of the action stuff lol.

AdaWong

Will the retail version be limited?

I have a preorder and only got $4 off, just don't want to miss out if it is.

Also is this game supposed to be more scary like the older games? I'm more a fan of the action stuff lol.
You'll like this still. It's as action as RE could get. It's just the atmosphere that is more reminiscent of the older games. You will still be shooting your way through and meleeing sons of bitches everywhere.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My stance is Revelations 2 isn't quite like the older games, isn't quite like the newer games. It has elements of both of them, but is kind of its own thing while also maybe capturing the 'spirit' of RE better than recent entries. It's low-budget, and the upcoming episodes will determine how it is as a whole, but what is there now kind of takes familiar things, makes new twists and decisions, and comes out feeling like RE, but not quite like any other RE, if that makes sense. It's still action-packed, but it also has more atmosphere than RE5, RE6, and Revelations combined, it also is notably super cheesy, but I say that as a good thing, and there is some seriousness in there.

Jebral

It would be good to point out that enemies no longer drop supplies. I think that is the key difference between this and the other action based ones. Can't remember if Rev 1 enemies dropped ammo, been a while. The tensions comes from making sure you hit those bastards in their stagger spots, then meleeing sons of bitches everywhere.

That being said, love the dodge button, but have to agree about the weak animations. RE5 has the most fun animations for melee IMO.

Dusk Golem

It would be good to point out that enemies no longer drop supplies. I think that is the key difference between this and the other action based ones. Can't remember if Rev 1 enemies dropped ammo, been a while. The tensions comes from making sure you hit those bastards in their stagger spots, then meleeing sons of bitches everywhere.

That being said, love the dodge button, but have to agree about the weak animations. RE5 has the most fun animations for melee IMO.

That's definitely part of it, there's a finite amount of ammo so you can't quite go guns blazing as that will make you run out quickly. Also, the knifing/melee system work a bit differently, I'd actually say there's more encouragement to use your knife/melee's in this RE than any other RE game, and the added movement helps make the knife more efficient than it's ever been, while still being risky.

Some other changes that shake it up come from the fact Moira/Natalia take on the RE universe in a different way than previous entries. Moira is surprisingly useful with her flashlight and crowbar, but definitely has to play more strategically against enemies. Natalia can use a brick to stun enemies, but is near defenseless in many ways, and seeing the RE world from how little she is has an interesting scenario where the enemies look much larger than they usually do and more intimidating, but her ability to see them brings some interesting things to the table.

While no real big brain scratches, there are more light puzzles here than recent entries, and the most back-tracking anytime recently in the first episode. The woods were really different for a RE location and worked being atmospheric. The new enemies are interesting, stealth is a bit there but is an enjoyable alternative at times, the narrative has a more tongue-in-cheek tone while also focusing more on characterization than I think either RE6 or Revelations 1 did... I could go on, but I feel there's more to pull it from the newer games, but while also retaining a lot of what make the newer games enjoyable.

Dusk Golem

It's actually.

Don't casually say leaked major spoilers without warning. I know what it is, but should of mentioned it's something that's not supposed to be known yet. Some people want to guess and think about it, not just be told from in-game files and leaked in-game concept art.

Nemesis_

All your talk of future episodes is intriguing me...

Are you satisfied with what you know of the settings, enemies, bosses, etc., in the remaining episodes?

Yes. I can't say much more than what I've already said but it's a very good Resident Evil game. I feel like the spirit is there - both in how you play and how connected it is to the other titles. I won't talk more about it but I will post up my impressions each week once embargo is over.

I do think possibly there are less enemies in Revelations 2 overall than in Revelations. But that is the game's budget shining through, really. But as everybody knows, the Revenants are great!

You have access to the full game?

Is Jessica in the game? I need answers.

I also want to know if Jessica Sherawat returns.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA nope she doesn't

I'm not sure if you guys are aware or not but Jessica's story has been largely resolved in Japanese bonus materials. She did her job and handed off her shit to the people she was working for. I'd be surprised if she ever showed up again.

News Bot

Banned
I'm not sure if you guys are aware or not but Jessica's story has been largely resolved in Japanese bonus materials. She did her job and handed off her shit to the people she was working for. I'd be surprised if she ever showed up again.

She and Raymond Vester were spies for TRICELL, and we learn from the intro that TRICELL is gone after the events of BIO5. So they're basically in the same boat as Nikolai Zinoviev and HUNK. Unemployed.

Though I always had faith in the game, one aspect where I wasn't expecting much was the characterization so that was a pleasant surprise for me.
I love Claire and here she's actually exactly how I expected her to be, still as determined as ever but showing the maturity she gained with the time that has passed.
Same for Barry. You play the game and with every line he delivers you can't help but think "Yup, that's Barry alright". Kudos to the VA for nailing the character.
Then there's Moira, I was ready for a complete disaster but what do you know, she's actually alright. Again, kudos to the VA for making it work, the jokes are well delivered and when the script requires drama she shows us the more fragile side of the character in a convincing manner.

So yeah, I'm pretty happy with the fact that this is doing the characters I love justice, in that particular RE kind of way.

Dusk Golem

I also haven't seen anyone in this topic mention this.

When Claire gets her gun,
Moira asks, "Are you going to use that?", and Claire replies, "It's more reliable than any person." That's actually a direct quote from Steve in Code Veronica. "See you can depend on me....You see, this thing is more reliable that any person." I wonder if there's more behind that.

I meant to bring this up earlier, but had forgotten about it until just now.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Moira asks, "Are you going to use that?", and Claire replies, "It's more reliable than any person." That's actually a direct quote from Steve in Code Veronica. "See you can depend on me....You see, this thing is more reliable that any person." I wonder if there's more behind that.

Yep, noticed that and pointed it out in a different form.

Claire generally seems to be very serious in tone, except for that one Claire Sandwich joke. She probably hasn't had a cheerful time since 1998.

Is full online co-op for the campaign coming to this at some point?

Only done Claire's segment but really enjoying this so far. Love the cheesy tone of it too.

Nemesis_

The game is rife with references to previous games. I feel like the producers / developers were well aware of what they were doing. It's been like that ever since the first teaser where they packed it full of subtle stuff like that.

Dusk Golem

Yep, noticed that and pointed it out in a different form.

Claire generally seems to be very serious in tone, except for that one Claire Sandwich joke. She probably hasn't had a cheerful time since 1998.

Doesn't seem that way, I also find it a bit amusing/sad how she seems more concerned she got Moira caught up in this situation rather than the fact she herself is in this situation. Episode 1 certainly did sprinkle all these hints at the past of all four of the characters, which is interesting and has me interested to see where it's all going.

Here's a potential spoiler, but my current theory. About Moira...
Likely others have thought this too, but I was trying to think on why Moira really hated guns so much, but playing REmaster HD, I remembered Barry had two daughters...

The game is rife with references to previous games. I feel like the producers / developers were well aware of what they were doing. It's been like that ever since the first teaser where they packed it full of subtle stuff like that.

Yup, they definitely have done their homeworrk, and this game is probably the most tied with the series narrative in a long time, which is nice. The recent games have their tied obviously, but a lot of them seem to be trying to do their own thing, which is fine... But I appreciate they seem to have takes the time to link this game with a lot of past RE while also not being so in-your-face about it most of the time that it's obnoxious or feels they're only re-living past glories, but also some subtleness to certain things. The line I mentioned above is something most who even played Code Veronica may not pick up on, and even before they pointed out the Revenants were based on
Uroboros
, I found it strange how those enemies melted and I thought, "It melted
just like the enemies in RE5, with the orange bubbles and black tentacles and everything,
how weird, must be a budget thing," as the other enemies didn't, but now I realize it was actually a subtle touch added for consistency, which is really nice.

Top Bottom