• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Nemesis_

I can confirm that the Extra Episode called "The Struggle" is definitely a canon part of the story. It's really fucking weird but it takes place and ends in a way that implies it's connected to the main campaign.

I'm wondering if Little Miss is too, since that one has an even more ridiculous premise.

dellingr

By the way, if anyone is still having freezing problems with the raid mode loading screens, it seems the solution is to play through Claire's side of episode 1 again then just quit at the results screen before Barry's part. Any mode will do since I did it in invisible mode. I'm not sure why but raid mode hasn't frozen at all since. Hopefully it's a permanent solution.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I can confirm that the Extra Episode called "The Struggle" is definitely a canon part of the story. It's really fucking weird but it takes place and ends in a way that implies it's connected to the main campaign.

I'm wondering if Little Miss is too, since that one has an even more ridiculous premise.

I know you can't talk too much, but there's details of both of the bonus episodes in the game's file (the 'Overview' describing both of them are textures in the game). I can say they both weren't what I was expecting, but they both sound like they have a story behind them and are probably canon from their Overviews at least. Without saying too much though, I will say I find it interesting how much they change the gameplay for these two bonus episodes, but both sound very... Odd. Not in a bad way from reading about them, just a bit odd.

I find the rations thing interesting for survival and I imagine it takes place in the six months period based on how it's described with Moira and an old man, but obviously since I've only played episode 1 I don't know how it plays out. For Natalia's, I'm wondering what the hell is up with her imaginary 'dark' self she works with and why everything looks purple and pink fog that is shown in the Overview screenshots, makes it look really trippy.

Ricker

Playing with Claire only in Raid more so far,up to level 7 only but I didn't beat any of the daily missions yet...I always run out of bullets on whatever weapons I use lol...

Might stay up past midnight tonight to start episode 2...

Pleased the game controls more like RE5 than 6, makes things more tense when you have to turn the camera away from what's pursuing you to move back. I dislike being able to run into the screen in these kinds of games.

judhudson

I don't know if there may be another thread for spoiler talk regarding the story, but about Natalia:

Did anyone else catch offhand how
Natalia's bracelet is solid red, and one of the papers in the game says that if the bracelet is red, they have begun mutation. I take it she isn't quite pure human, or she has some form of virus that adapted to her well.

Seyavesh

I don't know if there may be another thread for spoiler talk regarding the story, but about Natalia:

Did anyone else catch offhand how
Natalia's bracelet is solid red, and one of the papers in the game says that if the bracelet is red, they have begun mutation. I take it she isn't quite pure human, or she has some form of virus that adapted to her well.

yep, but i mean that's kinda a given seeing what her gameplay mechanic is haha

you can actually catch the bracelet changing colors in the campaign mode for claire/moira too- it fluctuates between orange and green pretty often depending on the scenario which is such a really strange minor touch

also in raid mode their bracelets never change and are always green haha

Nemesis_

I don't see how people can ever run out of those revive hearts in raid and have to pay for them. You can get 3 a day and never spend a dime.

Makes the whole OMG CAPCOM Y U CHARGE FOR CONTINUES thing that those shitty blogs and websites ran with look so stupid in hindsight :|

News Bot

Banned
Here's a potential spoiler, but my current theory. About Moira...
Likely others have thought this too, but I was trying to think on why Moira really hated guns so much, but playing REmaster HD, I remembered Barry had two daughters...

This is revealed in dialogue. Moira is also the eldest daughter, so they based her design on how she looks in Barry's BIO3 epilogue. Nice consistency.

The game is rife with references to previous games. I feel like the producers / developers were well aware of what they were doing. It's been like that ever since the first teaser where they packed it full of subtle stuff like that.

Half the references are added by the English writers and translators at the expense of consistency with the story, character personalities, etc. That Steve line in particular doesn't exist in the Japanese version, and rightly so, as it doesn't make sense given what we know of Claire's personality.

Nemesis_

Half the references are added by the English writers and translators at the expense of consistency with the story, character personalities, etc. That Steve line in particular doesn't exist in the Japanese version, and rightly so, as it doesn't make sense given what we know of Claire's personality.

iCBLKQq7cYbLM.gif

Vamphuntr

I prefer the over the top English lines to be honest. It makes the game feel like a B Horror Movie and I think it fits very well considering Resident Evil stopped having a consistent and serious story at Code Veronica/0.

Makes the whole OMG CAPCOM Y U CHARGE FOR CONTINUES thing that those shitty blogs and websites ran with look so stupid in hindsight :|
I always laugh at people overreacting at things before it's even explained or shown. I wait till it's actually out to start the meltdowns.

News Bot

Banned
I prefer the over the top English lines to be honest. It makes the game feel like a B Horror Movie and I think it fits very well considering Resident Evil stopped having a consistent and serious story at Code Veronica/0.

The series storyline has been serious since day one and is one of the most consistent in the industry (unless you mean quality-wise). The over the top nonsense just detracts from it after a certain point, a lot of it is way overdone. People complain about how there's no horror in the series anymore, yet the over the top stuff is mainly what's killing it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ok, finished Barry's scenario in Japanese. It is largely the same script with very few minor differences. The character's personalities are conveyed the same way, as well. Much less of a change coming from Claire's scenario. The master of unlocking nod is obviously missing, replaced with a generic "now we can get through" type of line. Two noticeable instances that stuck out to me:

English:

Barry: What a pretty name.

Natalia: What's your name?

Barry: My name's Barry.

Natalia: Barry?

Barry: That's right, don't wear it out.

Japanese:

Barry: That's a nice name.

Natalia: What's your name?

Barry: My name's Barry.

Natalia: Barry?

Barry: Nice name, isn't it?

This came off as snarkier than his English dialogue.

Another one that only makes sense if you've heard Japanese Moira:

English:

Barry: Well, that was the really long way around...

Japanese:

Barry: That was a long way around. How terrible.

The "how terrible" he uses is the same "saiyaku" catchphrase Moira uses throughout her segment. The way it was translated conveys the sarcasm in his Japanese statement very well, but it was interesting to see that little nod to his daughter. I guess they didn't want sweet old Barry swearing up a storm.
Restating this because I remembered another difference: When Barry mentions Uroboros, Natalia doesn't screw up the name in the Japanese version. She sounds confused, but pronounces it correctly.

lol

I understand News Bot though, he's given up his ability to have fun with the series in exchange of becoming the One True Keeper of the Canon.
You obviously don't understand how we canon-fiends operate. Keeping things thematically consistent, scouring over every last detail, scrutinizing lines spoken and debating whether they are in character or not... that is all the epitome of fun, if you love the franchise. News Bot deserves tons of respect for knowing RE lore down to the last detail.

News Bot

Banned
lol

I understand News Bot though, he's given up his ability to have fun with the series in exchange of becoming the One True Keeper of the Canon.

Or I just have different tastes. I have fun with the series just fine without forced goofiness.

Manu

It was a joke, guys.

News Bot has singlehandedly made a better job than Capcom at keeping things consistent for fans in the West.

Kssio_Aug

Ive done a level 3 daily mission with Claire, and it was pretty challengening even with OP weapons (level 9 pistol and 14 shotgun) I had to beat like 10 or even more of those big zombies with a helmet and a axe, and a bunch of a new kind of zombies I didnt know with some glowing weak spots (they were very strong). I almost ran completely out of ammo.

Well, at least Claire leveled up from 3 to almost 7 only with that mission.

News Bot

Banned
It was a joke, guys.

News Bot has singlehandedly made a better job than Capcom at keeping things consistent for fans in the West.

Thanks haha.

Hoping to get the Japanese files soon to go through for any mistakes. REV1 had a pretty grave mistranslation that removed the only reference to the game's true villain, but the REV2 files seem pretty straightforward. If they manage to mess something up I really can't have any sympathy for them anymore.

Nemesis_

Ive done a level 3 daily mission with Claire, and it was pretty challengening even with OP weapons (level 9 pistol and 14 shotgun) I had to beat like 10 or even more of those big zombies with a helmet and a axe, and a bunch of a new kind of zombies I didnt know with some glowing weak spots (they were very strong). I almost ran completely out of ammo.

Yeah I enjoy using those missions, especially the character specific ones, to catch up with those characters I neglect to use. I'm glad they've all got their own abilities too so they're not just another skin.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Your weapon level only really matters when it's under-leveled. If your weapon is higher level, they actually nerf it down to your player's level. Or whatever level you're playing as.

But they do not raise the stats if your character is higher level than the weapon.

Still trying to figure out some of the mechanics... but that's what the in-game explanation describes.

Astral Dog

The RE stories have always been over the top, much more on recent games, so it makes sense they aren't 100% serious, but on some cases, the dialogue changes can affect the tone of the story a bit much.

CVX, for example had very cheesy lines and was outdated,on the way the story was presented, but we can see on Darkside Chronicles, its a more serious and dark retelling of that game, there are parts of this on the english version but the game is filled with silly jokes so it may get too uneven.

SeanTSC

I'm surprised at seeing places get Natalia's usefulness and powerlevel totally wrong. Just read one review where it says the Brick only stuns, which is wrong, and the GT Just Played made her seem really weak when she's not at all.

Brick is OP as hell and can one-shot anything in Chapter 1 if you have good aim. It's really easy to kill the regular zombies with it with headshots and if you hit the weak point of one of the mutated enemies they'll instantly die too. If you don't hit them right on the weak point it still instantly exposes it, regardless of where it is, and stuns them which is incredibly useful. Brick is Life.

Does anybody know when and how I can upgrade the toolbox (where you can combine weapon upgrades) in raid mode? I finished five of the nine sections with max. medals and still wasn't able to upgrade it once.

Shauni

I'm surprised at seeing places get Natalia's usefulness and powerlevel totally wrong. Just read one review where it says the Brick only stuns, which is wrong, and the GT Just Played made her seem really weak when she's not at all.

Brick is OP as hell and can one-shot anything in Chapter 1 if you have good aim. It's really easy to kill the regular zombies with it with headshots and if you hit the weak point of one of the mutated enemies they'll instantly die too. If you don't hit them right on the weak point it still instantly exposes it, regardless of where it is, and stuns them which is incredibly useful. Brick is Life.

I don't think I ever killed anything with one shot with her Brick, even on casual. I don't have it maxed out, though.

SeanTSC

I don't think I ever killed anything with one shot with her Brick, even on casual. I don't have it maxed out, though.

Not sure how much upgrading it makes a difference (could make a huge difference since I think I upgraded it right away), but Max Brick definitely is OneShotVille if you nail them in the Head for the regular zombies or right on the Weak Point for the mutated things. It's really cheap to upgrade too.

Nemesis_

Just died at the end of a very difficult and intense Raid Mode level. 60 enemies. And I have no life crystals left because I'm an idiot.

THE TEMPTATION to just buy the Red ones >____________>

Evolved1

Just died at the end of a very difficult and intense Raid Mode level. 60 enemies. And I have no life crystals left because I'm an idiot.

THE TEMPTATION to just buy the Red ones >____________>

lol... too late to save that run though.

Astral Dog

Yup, they definitely have done their homeworrk, and this game is probably the most tied with the series narrative in a long time, which is nice. The recent games have their tied obviously, but a lot of them seem to be trying to do their own thing, which is fine... But I appreciate they seem to have takes the time to link this game with a lot of past RE while also not being so in-your-face about it most of the time that it's obnoxious or feels they're only re-living past glories, but also some subtleness to certain things. The line I mentioned above is something most who even played Code Veronica may not pick up on, and even before they pointed out the Revenants were based on
Uroboros
, I found it strange how those enemies melted and I thought, "It melted
just like the enemies in RE5, with the orange bubbles and black tentacles and everything,
how weird, must be a budget thing," as the other enemies didn't, but now I realize it was actually a subtle touch added for consistency, which is really nice.
This is very nice, you know what? they got rid of Umbrella too soon. And in a very clumsy way.

RE4 could had worked with Umbrella around, just make Krauser their agent or something, the newer games never did anything with the Umbrella revival hinted on 4 anyways.

Its a problem because there isn't anything meaningful to replace Umbrella and Wesker, they are mostly over, earlier games felt like they were building up to something big, even if its a small connection like on RE4 , or a self contained story, one of them had presence on it.

And now, without a personal villain or common threat, what is the series about? what is the main threat? it appears to be Bioterrorism itself, but that its far too big for the characters to handle, the world is fucked up now.

I don't care about the villains on REV or RE6 not only because i didn't like them,also in part because they are only relevant on their games, the main characters on those games didn't had much to do either as their story was wrapped up nicely on earlier games. And then there are some shallow or weird references to past events (Raccoon City, Mansion, Neo Umbrella).

Wich is why is a pleasant surprise seeing as Revelations 2 has
a properly built up villain on past games
. its interesting at least.

What was the deal with NEO UMBRELLA anyways? i never got their significance on the story, at first i thought it was a reference to Wesker wanting to revive Umbrella on RE4, but its something else.

Evolved1

I honestly do not understand how the rest bonus works.

Dusk Golem

This is very nice, you know what? they got rid of Umbrella too soon. And in a very clumsy way.

RE4 could had worked with Umbrella around, just make Krauser their agent or something, the newer games never did anything with the Umbrella revival hinted on 4 anyways.

Its a problem because there isn't anything meaningful to replace Umbrella and Wesker, they are mostly over, earlier games felt like they were building up to something big, even if its a small connection like on RE4 , or a self contained story, one of them had presence on it.

And now, without a personal villain or common threat, what is the series about? what is the main threat? it appears to be Bioterrorism itself, but that its far too big for the characters to handle, the world is fucked up now.

I don't care about the villains on REV or RE6 not only because i didn't like them,also in part because they are only relevant on their games, the main characters on those games didn't had much to do either as their story was wrapped up nicely on earlier games. And then there are some shallow or weird references to past events (Raccoon City, Mansion, Neo Umbrella).

Wich is why is a pleasant surprise seeing as Revelations 2 has
a properly built up villain on past games
. its interesting at least.

What was the deal with NEO UMBRELLA anyways? i never got their significance on the story, at first i thought it was a reference to Wesker wanting to revive Umbrella on RE4, but its something else.

Honestly, RE6's plot-line, outside of a few nice character touches (I liked Jake and Sherry more than I ever expected I would, I actually liked the Chris and Piers dynamic and developments, Chris and Helena were unfortunately a bit lame), were just completely... Kind of just there. I don't understand fully why they needed Neo-Umbrella either, it also felt like it had almost no presence in the story rather than just to be there, the family lineage thing felt like it came out of nowhere for the series narrative, among other things.

Which I guess does add to it feeling nice Revelations seems tied, and properly tied, to other entries in the franchise, instead of just making up whatever serves the purpose of what it wants to be (or at the very least, featuring something that's not really interesting).

Shauni

With the kind of cast that the RE games have built up over the years, I disagree with this. I disagree with this whole statement really. The idea of Bioterrorism is much more fuller than having a central "main" threat. You can have any form of threat in any part of the world at any point in time. That's just oozing with potential really in taking the series a variety of different places, much more so than having this one company that you are fighting all the time.

I can see the point that they dealt with Umbrella in an unsatisfying way (though I was fine with it myself), but I think the way they've set the RE world up now is far more interesting and varied than just having one evil company doing an evil thing and our heroes having to come in and save the day from said evil company again.

Dusk Golem

With the kind of cast that the RE games have built up over the years, I disagree with this. I disagree with this whole statement really. The idea of Bioterrorism is much more fuller than having a central "main" threat. You can have any form of threat in any part of the world at any point in time. That's just oozing with potential really in taking the series a variety of different places, much more so than having this one company that you are fighting all the time.

I can see the point that they dealt with Umbrella in an unsatisfying way (though I was fine with it myself), but I think the way they've set the RE world up now is far more interesting and varied than just having one evil company doing an evil thing and our heroes having to come in and save the day from said evil company again.

I think part of the fun with RE series has been strong villains though, I don't think many who have played the games are going to forget Wesker, Birkin, Nemesis, or the Ashford Twins anytime soon. I liked Saddler well enough, but I feel the series has had trouble finding a good villain since RE5. I don't think either RE6 or Revelations had particularly memorable or good villains, especially by series standards.

Manu

Simmons could've been a better villain had they build him up over the course of a few games instead of introducing and killing him in 6.

Dusk Golem

Simmons could've been a better villain had they build him up over the course of a few games instead of introducing and killing him in 6.

Or if Leon had his RE4-style witty conversations with Simmons, SUCH A MISSED OPPORTUNITY.

News Bot

Banned

I don't understand fully why they needed Neo-Umbrella either, it also felt like it had almost no presence in the story rather than just to be there, the family lineage thing felt like it came out of nowhere for the series narrative, among other things.

The "Umbrella revival" was never a literal revival of the Umbrella Corporation. It's metaphorical word play. It's not as clear in the English version because the translator messed up.

In Japanese, the katakana "アンブレラ" is used for the company while the kanji "傘" is used to mean a literal "umbrella." Wesker's plan was to build an organization that inherited Umbrella's legacy but was larger and stronger in order to fulfil its same purpose, which was to act as an "umbrella" to shield the true goals of those in power (Wesker in this case, Spencer etc for Umbrella).

Neo Umbrella was a puppet organization of The Family used to cause bioterrorism incidents around the world, which The Family could control. Think of it like the "war economy" in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. A way for The Family to exert control in global affairs by controlling the very weapons and countermeasures used in terrorism and proxy wars.

Dusk Golem

SIMMONS, YOU ARE SMALL-TIME

But yes, I don't think Simmons was bad per say, he had potential, being kind of just a closet Ada freak and an amusing voice and facial expressions. Some of his dialogue even made me chuckle a bit, ("What, are they just running through the streets, screaming it to anyone who'll listen!?") he could of been an enjoyable 'flashy sophisticated' villain in disbelief of some of the heroes antics and enjoyably perverse and twisted in his -cough- fascinations, but just how they handled him left little to no impact, because shortly after you start to know him, he's suddenly turning into dinosaurs out of the blue.

Dusk Golem

The "Umbrella revival" was never a literal revival of the Umbrella Corporation. It's metaphorical word play. It's not as clear in the English version because the translator messed up.

In Japanese, the katakana "アンブレラ" is used for the company while the kanji "傘" is used to mean a literal "umbrella." Wesker's plan was to build an organization that inherited Umbrella's legacy but was larger and stronger in order to fulfil its same purpose, which was to act as an "umbrella" to shield the true goals of those in power (Wesker in this case, Spencer etc for Umbrella).

Neo Umbrella was a puppet organization of The Family used to cause bioterrorism incidents around the world, which The Family could control. Think of it like the "war economy" in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. A way for The Family to exert control in global affairs by controlling the very weapons and countermeasures used in terrorism and proxy wars.

Interesting, but I will say, in English at least, the goal, purpose, and even really just what exactly Neo-Umbrella is hardly touched on, and when playing the game it's really easy to forget they even exist. The Family stook out a bit more due to Carla and Simmons taking the villain stage in that game. which they may be involved in, but their goals and purpose with Neo-Umbrella wasn't well handled in English, at least. Still, I felt Simmons got way less screen-time to be developed into someone proper interesting, a kind of wasted opportunity.

Nemesis_

I think part of the fun with RE series has been strong villains though, I don't think many who have played the games are going to forget Wesker, Birkin, Nemesis, or the Ashford Twins anytime soon. I liked Saddler well enough, but I feel the series has had trouble finding a good villain since RE5. I don't think either RE6 or Revelations had particularly memorable or good villains, especially by series standards.

Did you purposefully forget the best villain the series has ever had?

tumblr_m5qx6b4LHI1qk0e3do1_500.gif

Top Bottom