• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

News Bot

Banned
Simmons could've been a better villain had they build him up over the course of a few games instead of introducing and killing him in 6.

Technically they did. Simmons is the personification of the American government's collusive relationship with Umbrella and its more unpleasant affairs, such as holding Sherry hostage and threatening to kill Leon if he didn't work for them. He's the man who negotiated with Birkin to acquire the G-Virus too, because he didn't like having to buy from Umbrella.

He's also the lieutenant general in Sherry's BIO3 epilogue.

Still, they shouldn't have killed him or made him an Ada fetishist.

Interesting, but I will say, in English at least, the goal, purpose, and even really just what exactly Neo-Umbrella is hardly touched on, and when playing the game it's really easy to forget they even exist. The Family stook out a bit more due to Carla and Simmons taking the villain stage in that game. which they may be involved in, but their goals and purpose with Neo-Umbrella wasn't well handled in English, at least. Still, I felt Simmons got way less screen-time to be developed into someone proper interesting, a kind of wasted opportunity.

Yeah, I agree. They don't explain the relationship between the two organizations in the game outright, you're left to pick up on slight details, which is awful. The way it's portrayed in the game, you'd think Carla Radames founded the organization, when really she just took the name from Simmons' own organization as a "fuck you."

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Life Stealer modification is soooooooooooooooooooooooo OP. lol.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Did you purposefully forget the best villain the series has ever had?

tumblr_m5qx6b4LHI1qk0e3do1_500.gif

I liked Excella, and in extension, I also like Salazar and Irving. The sub-villains in RE4 and RE5 were both enjoyable to me, though unfortunately it was obvious they wouldn't see the light of day again after the game they appeared in.

Technically they did. Simmons is the personification of the American government's collusive relationship with Umbrella and its more unpleasant affairs, such as holding Sherry hostage and threatening to kill Leon if he didn't work for them. He's the man who negotiated with Birkin to acquire the G-Virus too, because he didn't like having to buy from Umbrella.

He's also the lieutenant general in Sherry's BIO3 epilogue.

Still, they shouldn't have killed him or made him an Ada fetishist.

That's a fair way to look at it, I didn't realize he was also exactly that guard, but as a villain-in-the-flesh, he certainly needed to be fleshed out more. I didn't even mind his Ada-perviness, just wish he'd been developed more.

On the flipside, I just did not care for Carla. I did like her boss battle though, actually, was much better than I expected and one of the highlights of RE6 for me.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Best sub-villain of course was Bird Jill.

And since she's also best protagonist... well. Jill best at everything, basically.

She's also, like, super-powered now, after RE5.

Bird-Jill should be an unlockable costume.

Manu

Yeah, I agree. They don't explain the relationship between the two organizations in the game outright, you're left to pick up on slight details, which is awful. The way it's portrayed in the game, you'd think Carla Radames founded the organization, when really she just took the name from Simmons' own organization as a "fuck you."

I actually thought that was the case.

But yeah, I don't see Carla funding something like HAOS by herself.

Astral Dog

I really disliked how they handled Wesker on 5, he goes...just like any other generic RE villain, "Uroboros"! even transforms, "CHRIIISSS"! boom, rocket launcher and then he dies.
They cheesed him up far too much imo, even Chris states this" you are nothing more than another Umbrella leftover"!, " Are you some kind of Comic Book villain"? and he is right Wesker was the most built up villain on the series, he kinda takes Spencer plans, maybe that was the point all along, he is nothing more than a lunatic, one of many, even Carla, of all people calls him out just to insult him " he was a colossal imbecile that tried to destroy the world"!

Maybe that was the point :/

SkylineRKR

Yeah it was too bad that they wrote off Wesker like that. The showdowns with him did deliver (the last one was pants though), you encountered him quite a bit and I liked how the fights played out. You could actually beat him in LiN as well. But his build up throughout the series showed he was very intelligent and capable, I didn't expect him to be as one sided and outright insane as he was in RE5. Also he met his end in what I consider to be a mediocre RE (in terms of single player campaign).

Excella was freaking hot, too bad that they mishandled her character. But she was my fave in Mercs Reunion.

I love how this refers to Wesker as Albert, like he's a little child being scolded.

Makes sense why they did it.

Dusk Golem

I really disliked how they handled Wesker on 5, he goes...just like any other generic RE villain, "Uroboros"! even transforms, "CHRIIISSS"! boom, rocket launcher and then he dies.
They cheesed him up far too much imo, even Chris states this" you are nothing more than another Umbrella leftover"!, " Are you some kind of Comic Book villain"? and he is right Wesker was the most built up villain on the series, he kinda takes Spencer plans, maybe that was the point all along, he is nothing more than a lunatic, one of many, even Carla, of all people calls him out just to insult him " he was a colossal imbecile that tried to destroy the world"!

Maybe that was the point :/

I'll say this, I did sort of miss Wesker seeming cunning or a cool-headed villain in RE5. This said, I also admit a guilty pleasure that I really, like really, liked over-the-top comic villain Wesker in RE5. D.C. Douglas delivered a pleasing performance, and some of Wesker's dialogue is forever instilled in my brain.

Seyavesh

i thought neo umbrella was just the bioterror branch that simmons created as a front for the US attacks with carla/ada leading the branch.

when she splits off she just continues using that name to also attack other countries since it pisses simmons off to see his well-laid out plans go to hell- it makes his colleagues in the illuminati/"family" light his and carla's asses up when she unloads it into china also rather than just america

edit:
and ya'll are fucking crazy if you think wesker was ever not a comic book villain. did you freakin' see the same cutscenes i did in CVX?
not even just the alexia one but also the chris vs wesker cutscene at the end of that game, where he's stopped by falling pipes and just screws around with chris the exact same way he does in re5?

Nemesis_

I'll say this, I did sort of miss Wesker seeming cunning or a cool-headed villain in RE5. This said, I also admit a guilty pleasure that I really, like really, liked over-the-top comic villain Wesker in RE5. D.C. Douglas delivered a pleasing performance, and some of Wesker's dialogue is forever instilled in my brain.

imo Wesker was done as soon as they gave him super powers and glowing eyes. He was on the way to where he ended up in RE5 from that point on.

I have no qualms about it though.

Dusk Golem

i thought neo umbrella was just the bioterror branch that simmons created as a front for the US attacks with carla/ada leading the branch.

when she splits off she just continues using that name to also attack other countries since it pisses simmons off to see his well-laid out plans go to hell

I'll be honest, playing the game, that was my impression as well, but I trust News Bot.

Also, that would be the plot of Revelations almost, minus the Carla part.

SkylineRKR

Poor performance, indeed...

His lines were beyond epic.

edit:
and ya'll are fucking crazy if you think wesker was ever not a comic book villain. did you freakin' see the same cutscenes i did in CVX?
not even just the alexia one but also the chris vs wesker cutscene at the end of that game, where he's stopped by falling pipes and just screws around with chris the exact same way he does in re5?

Mostly in the redux cutscenes, yes. But he was still pretty much a schemer. And in RE4 he was being chill and schemin' again.

Dusk Golem

edit:

No, he was in Code Veronica, I would say RE5 was a good extension of that, but they toned it down a lot in RE4/Umbrella Chronicles, then toned it upagain. Probably was more jarring because of the 9 year gap between Code Veronica and RE5, and RE4 and Umbrella Chronicles having been much more recent.

imo Wesker was done as soon as they gave him super powers and glowing eyes. He was on the way to where he ended up in RE5 from that point on.

I have no qualms about it though.

I have a certain love for cheese, so why these things probably never bothered me. I agree, but I think one jarring thing about Wesker is that through his appearances, he has like, two forms. Either he seems super calculating, calm, but devious coyness, or he's mad power-thirsty outlandish imbecile. RE1, RE4, Umbrella Chronicles kind of push towards the first, while Code Veronica and RE5 definitely push him towards the second.

Poor performance, indeed...

His lines were beyond epic.

Mostly in the redux cutscenes, yes. But he was still pretty much a schemer. And in RE4 he was being chill and schemin' again.

One of my favorites that's not as quotable but always gets me;

"Your future hinges upon this fight!"
-literally kicks Chris through a door, which sends the door flying off its hinges-

freshair

I managed to beat Episode 1 this weekend (Claire on Sat and Barry on Sun) and this is my first episodic-type game and I can say that I'm quite into it.

As I become more and more of a casual gamer, I think the length of each episode (and proportionally, its price point) is right on point. Gives me a sense of accomplishment that I "beat" something, even though in the end it's probably the same length as a regular game. I don't know. I just really enjoyed my weekend because of it.

I never played Rev 1, so this is my first experience with raid mode and I think it adds a nice level of replayability after the fact. And the alt costumes are hilarious 👌

Shauni

I managed to beat Episode 1 this weekend (Claire on Sat and Barry on Sun) and this is my first episodic-type game and I can say that I'm quite into it.

As I become more and more of a casual gamer, I think the length of each episode (and proportionally, its price point) is right on point. Gives me a sense of accomplishment that I "beat" something, even though in the end it's probably the same length as a regular game. I don't know. I just really enjoyed my weekend because of it.

I never played Rev 1, so this is my first experience with raid mode and I think it adds a nice level of replayability after the fact. And the alt costumes are hilarious 👌

No, not at all. I mean by the time all four episodes are done, probably.

How do you upgrade gun parts? They say they have a max level and all the ones I've gotten so far have been level 1, so I assume it must be possible, right?

Dusk Golem

How do you upgrade gun parts? They say they have a max level and all the ones I've gotten so far have been level 1, so I assume it must be possible, right?

You need to unlock the Toolbox. How you actually unlock it, I'm not 100% sure, but I got it around level 10-12 with a character and it became purchasable from the shop. In the Toolbox, you can take two of the same part, and combine them (plus a little money) to make a more powerful part.

Example, if you have x2 Damage 1's, you can combine them to make a Damage 2. And when you get x2 Damage 2's, you can combine them to make a Damage 3. And so forth, and so on.

But you need to get Toolbox level 2 to upgrade them past level 4 I believe, which I have not unlocked yet.

please

alexia and alfred wish they could be the hottest couple in the RE universe

truly the brad and angelina of Resident Evil

Pfft.

Alfred and Alexia were destined to be together since birth.

The truest most purest form of love...

iXyHQpA.gif

Wesker and Excella was nothing but down and dirty sex and even there, Wesker had all eyes on Bird Jill.

Dusk Golem

I think you all are forgetting the absolute authority of beauty that graced us with its transsexualness.

Morpheus D. Duvall

latest
residentevil_deadaim_conceptart_vWgPz.jpg

"Establishing a kingdom where beauty has absolute authority is the dream which I must make a reality!"

I think you all are forgetting the absolute authority of beauty that graced us with its transsexualness.

Morpheus D. Duvall

latest
residentevil_deadaim_conceptart_vWgPz.jpg

"Establishing a kingdom where beauty has absolute authority is the dream which I must make a reality!"

I've never heard of this cat before. Which game/movie are they from?

Seyavesh

ps2 lightgun shooter, resident evil: dead aim

that game is fucking insane and bad and the "T-G virus" (no joke) is pretty much the absolute bottom of the depths that it goes to
not shown in that picture: stiletto high-heels built into his feet, huge breasts. seriously what the fuck was that game

also randomly the space laser from RE5 is actually from that game

Dusk Golem

Resident Evil: Dead Aim, so sensible you wouldn't of, though I think Dead Aim may be one of the most underrated entries in the series. The beginning is ehh, but it's an interesting action/horror blend that shows some systems that would later be implemented in RE4 while they were still budding.

The main villain was Morpheus, who is notable for being a man (albeit, a very feminine man who wanted to bring beauty to the world) who turns into a female Tyrant with lightning powers. Also as a Tyrant, still retains some of its consciousness.

Fun fact, RE6 spoiler,
Piers lightning powers at the end of RE6 can be explained by Morpheus, the arm Piers grows looks similar to Morpheus's, the lightning powers, and C-Virus direct injection is supposed to be a virus cocktail basically, which is what Morpheus is testing around in Dead Aim that gives him lightning powers.

that game is fucking insane and bad and the "T-G virus" (no joke) is pretty much the absolute bottom of the depths that it goes to
not shown in that picture: stiletto high-heels built into his feet, huge breasts. seriously what the fuck was that game

It's ridiculous, but I actually found myself enjoying it between the later parts of the ship, and through the whole sewer section, and the lab up until the finale sequences.

Nemesis_

Interestingly enough Dead Aim was co-developed by Cavia who would then go on to work on the Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles games for Capcom later on.

I actually didn't mind Dead Aim. The villain was absolutely ridiculous. Like almost as bad as Singing jRPG James Marcus, but the gunplay was super satisfying.

The main villain was Morpheus, who is notable for being a man (albeit, a very feminine man who wanted to bring beauty to the world) who turns into a female Tyrant with lightning powers. Also as a Tyrant, still retains some of its consciousness.

Was this ever addressed by the game's files or something? I just find it so random and out of left field.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Y'all are crazy thinking Wesker wants to stick his dick in anything. He's a man of science. He engineers babies, not fucks.

Dusk Golem

Interestingly enough Dead Aim was co-developed by Cavia who would then go on to work on the Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles games for Capcom later on.

I actually didn't mind Dead Aim. The villain was absolutely ridiculous. Like almost as bad as Singing jRPG James Marcus, but the gunplay was super satisfying.

Was this ever addressed by the game's files or something? I just find it so random and out of left field.

From memory, it touches on some of it... The lightning powers are supposed to be from T + G Virus... Somehow, I think they try to explain it, but whatever, For turning into a man to a woman, I think it's brought up but not fully explained, but I may be wrong. My personal belief until further evidence was maybe because he produced a lot of estrogen, some men produce a lots of estrogen, some women produce a lot of testosterone. For why he retains his consciousness for a while? No idea.

The villain is ridiculous, I'm mainly teasing with him/her because of just how what Morpheus is. XD; I did, however, find the game to be a pretty enjoyable spin-off, a more underrated entry in the franchise.

LeonSPBR

You need to unlock the Toolbox. How you actually unlock it, I'm not 100% sure, but I got it around level 10-12 with a character and it became purchasable from the shop. In the Toolbox, you can take two of the same part, and combine them (plus a little money) to make a more powerful part.

Example, if you have x2 Damage 1's, you can combine them to make a Damage 2. And when you get x2 Damage 2's, you can combine them to make a Damage 3. And so forth, and so on.

But you need to get Toolbox level 2 to upgrade them past level 4 I believe, which I have not unlocked yet.

You get the toolbox once you finish the second gauntlet on normal. I don't think you can upgrade the toolbox in this episode. I finished 8 of the 9 gauntlet of the first episode and no upgrade shown yet.

Dusk Golem

Y'all are crazy thinking Wesker wants to stick his dick in anything. He's a man of science. He engineers babies, not fucks.

Did anybody even say that tho

Even though I ended up liking Troy BakerJake well enough as a character, I still find his existence as Wesker's son unbelievable. They may very well touch-base on this fact later, but Jake's very existence is a bit... Huh.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just can't see Wesker feeling the need to reproduce beyond mild curiosity.

AdaWong

I always thought RE6's plot was a bit too messy. But all this talk about it, it's actually... Intriguing and quite deep.

Resident Evil: Dead Aim, so sensible you wouldn't of, though I think Dead Aim may be one of the most underrated entries in the series. The beginning is ehh, but it's an interesting action/horror blend that shows some systems that would later be implemented in RE4 while they were still budding.

Fun fact, RE6 spoiler,
Piers lightning powers at the end of RE6 can be explained by Morpheus, the arm Piers grows looks similar to Morpheus's, the lightning powers, and C-Virus direct injection is supposed to be a virus cocktail basically, which is what Morpheus is testing around in Dead Aim that gives him lightning powers.

It's ridiculous, but I actually found myself enjoying it between the later parts of the ship, and through the whole sewer section, and the lab up until the finale sequences.

Ah, thanks.

Yeah, I didn't bother with the Dead Aim games.

Dusk Golem

Ah, thanks.

Yeah, I didn't bother with the Dead Aim games.

First one is interesting narratively, but not all too hot game-wise in my opinion. I really don't like the second Gun Survivor game, but others may disagree, I don't know. Dead Aim was a lot better in my opinion, it kind of feels like a pre-RE4 action RE game, with some satisfying gunplay, some fun enemies, some actual atmosphere in places, though its story is hilariously off-the-rails sometimes.

First one is interesting narratively, but not all too hot game-wise in my opinion. I really don't like the second Gun Survivor game, but others may disagree, I don't know. Dead Aim was a lot better in my opinion, it kind of feels like a pre-RE4 action RE game, with some satisfying gunplay, some fun enemies, some actual atmosphere in places, though its story is hilariously off-the-rails sometimes.

Would you recommend checking them out or just watching the story bits on YT?

I still have my PS2 and I might be able to find the games via ebay or CEX.

I wish the game updated today...I'm real bored now, and I feel like I've had my fill of episode 1after all the times I've played through it, and need something besides Raid mode.

Dusk Golem

I think he boned Jill...

The weirder thing about Jake is that for him to exist, he would of needed to have banged someone way before the events of RE1 in the timeline, and before S.T.A.R.S. and all that was formed.

Would you recommend checking them out or just watching the story bits on YT?

I still have my PS2 and I might be able to find the games via ebay or CEX.

Unless you really want to experience ever RE game in the franchise, I suggest just watching the first two games. It's not... Terrible, but there's a lot of niggles that add up. The first two are basically FPS RE games, though there's some cool fan service and moments. The second game doesn't even really have a story to it even though it's canon,
it's the dream Claire has after the events of Code Veronica.

I would actually say the third one is worth playing. The whole game is no longer in FPS (third-person behind-the-shoulder until you pull your gun out, in which it goes first-person), and the story isn't anything special really (outside of some weird loose connections that RE5 and RE6 have to the game for some reason, and the villain is someone referred to in a previous game file who has some connection with Raccoon City and Umbrella), the enjoyable part of it is actually the playable part. It's not all that great at first, but it starts picking up in the later parts of the ship location and keeps going pretty solid up until the end (as in, I'm not big on the final boss fights). It's not very long (like, 5-6 hours, though some replayability), and can be found pretty cheap online if you look a bit. The shooting is a bit disorienting at first, but it's actually pretty fun, and the game has some unique and interesting enemies in it to fight against. It actually has some pretty fun twists on staple RE monsters, and features some back-tracking and atmosphere in its course.

Top Bottom