• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

ironcreed

Banned
I could not find episode 2 on Xbox One in the store. I went to 'manage game' and there it was in the side bar ready to be installed. Just a heads up for anyone looking for it.

2lfopmh.gif

LSjDea7.gif

FtuSA1v.gif

So is this also how 'veteran' these guys are?
:p

Looks fun.

FatalT

Banned
I'm a bit frustrated with how this game is being dealt with right now. I currently don't have a lot of money and I'm trying to decide between Nazi Zombie Trilogy or Helldivers but I knew for sure I wanted Resident Evil.

So I purchased the first episode individually because last week I only had enough to pay for it. I loved it and was looking forward to this week where I was planning on buying episode 2 individually. Well I did some work over the weekend and the past 2 days which gave me some money.

I saw on the in-game store that the season pass is only $19.99 where on the PSN store it's $24.99. I was excited about that discount because I didn't want to feel like I wasted the money on episode one so obviously I got the cheaper one.

When I bought that, it unlocked and downloaded from the PSN store the Hunk character for Raid mode BUT THAT'S ALL! The season pass on the PSN store still says its $24.99 (not purchased) and it's wanting me to buy episode 2. On the in-game store the season pass is now checked as owned but it wants me to buy episode 2.

Fuck. I should've just sprung for the extra $5 if I knew this was going to be so screwed up.

EDIT: Oh well damn, you guys are pissed off about this too.

Lucent

I'm a bit frustrated with how this game is being dealt with right now. I currently don't have a lot of money and I'm trying to decide between Nazi Zombie Trilogy or Helldivers but I knew for sure I wanted Resident Evil.

So I purchased the first episode individually because last week I only had enough to pay for it. I loved it and was looking forward to this week where I was planning on buying episode 2 individually. Well I did some work over the weekend and the past 2 days which gave me some money.

I saw on the in-game store that the season pass is only $19.99 where on the PSN store it's $24.99. I was excited about that discount because I didn't want to feel like I wasted the money on episode one so obviously I got the cheaper one.

When I bought that, it unlocked and downloaded from the PSN store the Hunk character for Raid mode BUT THAT'S ALL! The season pass on the PSN store still says its $24.99 (not purchased) and it's wanting me to buy episode 2. On the in-game store the season pass is now checked as owned but it wants me to buy episode 2.

Fuck. I should've just sprung for the extra $5 if I knew this was going to be so screwed up.

EDIT: Oh well damn, you guys are pissed off about this too.

Yep. It's stupid. First ppl have trouble with the Throwback Pack and now this. I don't know how this got so screwed up.

SeanTSC

Yep. It's stupid. First ppl have trouble with the Throwback Pack and now this. I don't know how this got so screwed up.

It seems mostly to be a PS4 storefront issue. Between all of this and the PS4 version's performance problems in certain areas I think that whoever is handling the PS4 side of things is messing up pretty badly.

Lucent

It seems mostly to be a PS4 storefront issue. Between all of this and the PS4 version's performance problems in certain areas I think that whoever is handling the PS4 side of things is messing up pretty badly.

Sure seems this way. I hope whenever the episode 2 issue is resolved that the remaining episodes don't do this. I don't have much faith in that though.

Jawmuncher

They're character specific as far as I know, not really sure if it can be inherited. They're unlocked by default and can all be leveled up.

The hell. Let me check that.
I haven't seen any special moves yet.
EDIT: Went through my characters. Hunk has the invisibility. Everyone else just has Molotov based stuff. Pretty lame.

News Bot

Banned
(Not really a spoiler.)

There's a radio broadcast that's in Russian in episode two. The voices can clearly be heard saying "Svetlana Belikova" and "Ivan Judanovich", so it sounds like it's discussing the story of the Damnation movie. Would be great to get that translated, would help pin down when this game takes place exactly (which would in turn help make the dates in the files mean something).

Seyavesh

How do you unlock Leon? He doesn't appear to be paid DLC

unlocked from the start if you have EP2 i think- i didn't have to go through any process but i also have a ton of completion medals so he might've been covered by that since that's how jill got unlocked too

Jawmuncher

unlocked from the start if you have EP2 i think- i didn't have to go through any process but i also have a ton of completion medals so he might've been covered by that since that's how jill got unlocked too

You still need completion medals for him if you haven't already got them built up.
Source: Him and Jill aren't unlocked for me yet.

Manu

(Not really a spoiler.)

There's a radio broadcast that's in Russian in episode two. The voices can clearly be heard saying "Svetlana Belikova" and "Ivan Judanovich", so it sounds like it's discussing the story of the Damnation movie. Would be great to get that translated, would help pin down when this game takes place exactly (which would in turn help make the dates in the files mean something).

Maybe we'll find out how she got the burn marks on her back.

There's gotta be some significance to them.

FLAguy954

Here I am just scrolling through a level on Raid when
that flying fuck from RE 6 (primarily from Jake's campaign) come out of nowhere and kills me :mad:

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I was thinking the radio signal was probably saying something or another interesting, but I wasn't expecting it to be a reference to Damnation.

I was wondering if there'd be any reference to Damnation, though, The game must take place near Russia, with all those Russian-written notes, and as Damnation takes place in Russia in 2011, it should be happening almost around the same time, if not at the same time, and somewhat nearby, the events of Revelations 2.

Jawmuncher

Ok this should be my last raid question.
When it comes to completion medals. I'm guessing here that every character technically counts as their own set? So If I did the first 5 missions with hunk then the same 5 missions with Barry that would be 10 for jill? Or are they one and done meaning once one character gets a complete they no longer count?

I have episode two and he is not unlocked.

I don't have a ton of medals from raid, maybe about 20 and he's nowhere to be found.

Locust

I thought they fixed the raid mode issues since it isn't crashing on deployment / stuck on uploading anymore but now I had a random crash after finishing a level. Even worse tbh :/

e: oh now it's crashing on deploy again, sweet

Dusk Golem

Also, Episode 1 didn't have any boss battles really, but was enjoyable, but holy hell, the boss battles in episode 2 were really well done, in my opinion they may be some of the tensest and best handled boss battles in the series, they were all challenging, panic-inducing, and yet a lot of fun, with a mixture of quick response and strategy, yet variety between them, in episode 2 on Survival.

Pedro against Claire actually takes the cake as being my favorite 'chainsaw' enemy in the series without strictly being a chainsaw enemy; I enjoy the chainsaw enemies the series has, but due to how their programmed they haven't really been a challenge to me since RE4 as the same strategy that works on Salvador, works on the Chainsaw Majini, works on that one chainsaw boss from Resident Evil 6; Revelations was different and interesting, but I honestly wasn't as fond of it as the typical chainsaw enemy in the other games. However, Pedro with his faster speed, charge forward attack, non-stop waving around, the fact his regular hit doesn't -quite- kill you but puts you just on the verge of death, and how much he can stick on your ass, was legitimately sometimes terrifying, and made him a lot more tense to fight and run-away from.

The Big Fire Jug Afflicted I can't say was expected... It's a bit silly in concept for certain, but was a unique enemy for RE and the fight in the store also was tense, with its fireballs that spread fire around, the charging attack, the immense size and how much health it had... The enemies pouring in added a challenge, was nice the enemy gave no fucks and could hurt all of them too with its charging and fireballs. Ended up being a fun fight.

And the second Pedro fight gets a lot of love from me. Same qualities as before still apply, but much more tense now, and the multiple specific weakpoints you need to take out make it a very precise and close fight, plus the much more closed-off and narrow arena makes it very challenging, had so many close calls and the way he quickly comes around corners and you can see his sparks and hear him coming added a lot. Literally beat him with my second-to-last bullet on survival difficulty. And the build-up was good, with making you think for a second it might be Gabe intend, the destructible-looking wall you pass that makes you suspicious that might be where he's coming from, but it turns out to be completely elsewhere...

I know they may not be the most unique of unique, but I thought they were very well handled, and may stand as some of the tensest fights for me in the series.

When it comes to completion medals. I'm guessing here that every character technically counts as their own set? So If I did the first 5 missions with hunk then the same 5 missions with Barry that would be 10 for jill? Or are they one and done meaning once one character gets a complete they no longer count?

From my experience, while it affects 'overall medals', only one completion medal counts. At least seemed like this when I tested trying to get Jill with completing a stage as Moira I had already gotten the medal with Wesker (my main) with a completion medal, but still needed to complete 10 Raid missions with completion medals with individually with Wesker,so it looks like the repeat medal I got with Moira didn't count.

FLAguy954

I'm starting to become more and more impressed on how Raid mode is set up. They are becoming really clever with the enemy placement on the 'new' levels.

For instance
those bugs from episode one are strategically spawned so that they buff the other enemies while staying relatively hidden.

I have episode two and he is not unlocked.

I don't have a ton of medals from raid, maybe about 20 and he's nowhere to be found.

I think it's 20 Completion Medallions and not just 20 Medallions

Completion is getting the Genocide (Kill All Enemies), No Herbs, Mission Clear (Finish The Mission), and Challenge (Finish The Mission At or Below The Recommended Level) Medallions at the same time

Also, Episode 1 didn't have any boss battles really, but was enjoyable, but holy hell, the boss battles in episode 2 were really well done, in my opinion they may be some of the tensest and best handled boss battles in the series, they were all challenging, panic-inducing, and yet a lot of fun, with a mixture of quick response and strategy, yet variety between them, in episode 2 on Survival.

Pedro against Claire actually takes the cake as being my favorite 'chainsaw' enemy in the series without strictly being a chainsaw enemy; I enjoy the chainsaw enemies the series has, but due to how their programmed they haven't really been a challenge to me since R4 as the same strategy that works on Salvador, works on the Chainsaw Majini, works on that one chainsaw boss from Resident Evil 6; Revelations was different and interesting, but I honestly wasn't as fond of it as the typical chainsaw enemy. However, Pedro with his faster speed, charge forward attack, non-stop waving around, the fact his regular hit doesn't -quite- kill you but puts you just on the verge of death, and how much he can stick on your ass, was legitimately sometimes terrifying, and made him a lot more tense to fight and run-away from.

The Big Fire Jug Afflicted I can't say was expected... It's a bit silly in concept for certain, but was a unique enemy for RE and the fight in the store also was tense, with its fireballs that spread fire around, the charging attack, the immense size and how much health it had... The enemies pouring in added a challenge, was nice the enemy gave no fucks and could hurt all of them too with its charging and fireballs. Ended up being a fun fight.

And the second Pedro fight gets a lot of love from me. Same qualities as before still apply, but much more tense now, and the multiple specific weakpoints you need to take out make it a very precise and close fight, plus the much more closed-off and narrow arena makes it very challenging, had so many close calls and the way he quickly comes around corners and you can see his sparks and hear him coming added a lot. Literally beat him with my second-to-last bullet on survival difficulty. And the build-up was good, with making you think for a second it might be Gabe intend, the destructible-looking wall you pass that makes you suspicious that might be where he's coming from, but it turns out to be completely elsewhere...

I know they may not be the most unique of unique, but I thought they were very well handled, and may stand as some of the tensest fights for me in the series.

Pretty much my thoughts on the boss moments. Very tense even if they haven't been grand like in other RE games. Still two more episodes to see how that changes.

Kssio_Aug

Nope. If you get 5 completion medals with one character, it wont count 10 if you get them again with another one. I believe the only reason each character has his own medals is for track record.

Dusk Golem

Pretty much my thoughts on the boss moments. Very tense even if they haven't been grand like in other RE games. Still two more episodes to see how that changes.

I'll have to see, the ambiguous comment could imply they get better/worse, but I'll say, for episode 1 having no bosses really, the bosses in episode 2 were surprisingly great, in my opinion.

I also will say so far the enemy variety is more than I was expecting. While a few enemies I was used to by the time I fought them in the campaign as I had fought them in Raid Mode, there were more surprises, and introduced enemies, than I was expecting in this episode.

I think to say all the enemies that were introduced in Episode 2:
-The Bigger 'Buffer' Revenant variant
-The Splasher acid variant of the Revenant
-The Exploding enemies that grow when you shoot them
-The dog/pig things based off the RE6 dogs
-The shooting enemies that mess up your screen made from Uroboros
-Pedro, of course, technically two forms but the only difference is one has weakpoints
-Big Fire Jug Afflicted Boss
-Glasps invisible bug things

The first five were all in Raid Mode in episode 1, but were introduced to the campaign aptly. And a few new faces.

That was more enemies than I was expecting, I think there may be less introductions in the next two episodes, but regardless.

Jawmuncher

From my experience, while it affects 'overall medals', only one completion medal counts. At least seemed like this when I tested trying to get Jill with completing a stage as Moira I had already gotten the medal with Wesker (my main) with a completion medal, but still needed to complete 10 Raid missions with completion medals with individually with Wesker,so it looks like the repeat medal I got with Moira didn't count.

Nope. If you get 5 completion medals with one character, it wont count 10 if you get them again with another one. I believe the only reason each character has his own medals is for track record.

Ok cool thanks for the heads up. Wasn't wanting to try it out myself until later on.
Decided to just use the offline method for Raid on PC to work and i'm having a lot of fun with it. Much more than with Raid 1 which for me got pretty stagnant pretty quick. The Variety and Speed here along with the streamlining has helped this mode immensely. Not to mention the mix of other RE stuff in it as well which is cool. Was using wesker but kinda disappointed he doesn't have a special outside the Molotov. Using Hunk now which almost seems broken with his 4 weapon slots. But not enough for me to care.

Neiteio

Haven't ready everyone's impressions yet, but I completed Episode II last night. This game is already one of my favorite Resident Evils.

So many elements I liked in Episode II. I'll be vague to avoid spoilers, and tag where necessary.

The team dynamics are evolving nicely, especially with Barry and Natalia. You have several new enemies introduced in their half, including one type that requires Barry and Natalia to work together. I -love- this new enemy. Spoiler:
The Glasp.
It requires you to shift quickly back and forth between the two characters, and it telegraphs its presence with unsettling effects (
screen distortion, static-y sound
). You also have a fresh new take on a familiar trope (
the chainsaw man, but here he uses a drill and gets stuck in walls
). And the foggy environments in Barry's half, especially the coastline, remind me of Dear Esther. I also like the woods at dawn, with the sun streaming through the trees. This game always looks good (and contrary to what I had heard, runs at a consistent 60 fps on PS4), but some areas are especially beautiful.

I'm really digging how the areas explored in Claire and Moira's half are then partially revisited in Barry and Natalia's half, and how Barry and Natalia open up all-new places in those areas, Metroidvania-style. I also like how there are "puzzles," simple as they are. Most of them involve crates:
Picking up and putting down crates to reach high places; pushing one crate so another crate can be pushed away from the bus door; pushing a crate to block a door on a timer; and so on.

I continue to appreciate how the enemies don't drop ammo, and how important items such as keys take up slots in your inventory. Inventory management, in general, is really great, constantly loading your weapons and mixing ingredients to free up space while shuffling items back and forth between your two characters. It feels super-satisfying when you open a crowbar box or a "small hand" box and get a capacity upgrade that allows you to carry more items. And the game balance is such that you have adequate ammo... until a boss or miniboss exhausts nearly all of it. Which is great, since it makes those moments exquisitely tense.

The environments are getting more complex. A fishing village is pretzel-like in its layout, sandwiching many structures across a series of hills. A derelict town features high-rise apartments with many interconnecting stairs, rooms and corridors. It's still largely linear, but the variety is there — dropping through holes in the floor to reach a basement or alternatively taking the stairs, crawling through small openings to open doors from the other side, etc. Seeing these environments at night in one scenario, with power working, and then during the day in another scenario, with the power cut, makes them feel similar yet different. And like I said, Barry and Natalia always double the scope of each location by uncovering areas that Claire and Moira could not access.

Speaking of Claire and Moira, they also saw several new enemy types introduced in their half, which kicks off with an atmospheric slow-burn exploration of a fishing village, alongside new characters. Then you have two set-pieces that play out like spiritual successors to memorable moments from RE4:
The tavern defense (cabin defense) and drill-bit man (chainsaw man)
. And at the end of their half, you encounter an epic new enemy:
The cannon heavy, which demolishes the bookcases with its fireballs, destroying your cover.
The circumstances under which you fight that enemy are quite challenging, too. A fantastic encounter, and I'm eager to see this enemy inevitably show up in Raid.

Everything here is so good. The enemy encounters are increasing in variety and complexity. So are the stealth sequences. The two-character dynamic makes every moment interesting, since when you're not fending off enemies with Claire and Barry, you're scouring for resources and collectibles with Moira and Natalia. And the game's at its best when the two must work together in tandem, whether it's a flashlight --> roundhouse kick --> crowbar combo with Claire and Moira, or Natalia spotting weakpoints and patrol routines, or telling Barry where to
shoot an unseen enemy

And the next episode looks ridiculous, in the best possible way. One hell of a cliffhanger this episode ended on, and we still haven't resolved the cliffhanger from the first episode. As cheesy as these games can be, they know how to spin a good yarn. Eager to see where this game goes next. In the meantime, I'll be playing Raid!

Neiteio

Pedro against Claire actually takes the cake as being my favorite 'chainsaw' enemy in the series without strictly being a chainsaw enemy; I enjoy the chainsaw enemies the series has, but due to how their programmed they haven't really been a challenge to me since RE4 as the same strategy that works on Salvador, works on the Chainsaw Majini, works on that one chainsaw boss from Resident Evil 6; Revelations was different and interesting, but I honestly wasn't as fond of it as the typical chainsaw enemy in the other games. However, Pedro with his faster speed, charge forward attack, non-stop waving around, the fact his regular hit doesn't -quite- kill you but puts you just on the verge of death, and how much he can stick on your ass, was legitimately sometimes terrifying, and made him a lot more tense to fight and run-away from.

Just read this. Co-signed! I agree on the bosses — all of them were fantastic.

Seyavesh

yepppp, this is exactly how i feel too. i'm glad you noticed the
fake out destructible wall
too because that was such a clever touch. there's a lot of really good small things that are just randomly there like
the basement room with the hanging bodies casting a human-shaped shadow but only when leaving
that are just there to mess with attentive players

the claire->barry scenario changer this time is reaaaal interesting too
you can actually skip the entire 2nd pedro fight by taking him out/damaging him enough when he first turns- barry gets the drill at the freakin' wossek and is able to open up an extra door even

Dusk Golem

The claire->barry scenario changer this time is reaaaal interesting too
you can actually skip the entire 2nd pedro fight by taking him out/damaging him enough when he first turns- barry gets the drill at the freakin' wossek and is able to open up an extra door even

0_0

I love stuff like that, but I can honestly say I was not expecting that at all. I'll have to try it now.
I just assumed he was invincible the first fight. XD;

I laughed OUT LOUD @
boss Pedro yelling BALLS... BALLS...

It's pedestrian humor at its finest.

That got me too, I was thinking when
Pedro first says Holy Balls in the episode, just... Huh? But then they kept running with it, he even writes balls in the note you can pick up with him, and I will admit I somewhat lost it during the second fight with him, when he's damaged more his 'I'm more damaged' boss cry is fucking, "Balls... Balls..." Quite the characteristic to have Pedro have an obsession with saying Balls.

Neiteio

I laughed OUT LOUD @
boss Pedro yelling BALLS... BALLS...

It's pedestrian humor at its finest.
It's a nice bit of levity that makes the situation both funny (because what the hell, lol) and also bittersweet, since you're seeing vestiges of that character's humanity. When you're first approaching that character in Barry's campaign, and you
hear him saying, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" through the door
, you realize there's still a sliver of sanity left. :-\

Also, Episode II showed Moira's sweet side, and some self-awareness regarding the swearing, so I'm warming up that particular idiosyncratic quirk. ;-)

Neiteio

What?
Pedro shows up as a boss in Barry's section?
He doesn't if you
manage to kill him in Claire's section
, apparently. Is that what you did?

Although if that's the case, I wonder how you're able to proceed in Barry's section. They would have to force you to
collect the drill
in the fishing village.

Dusk Golem

What?
Pedro shows up as a boss in Barry's section?

Apparently if you beat him in Claire's scenario, you don't in Barry's, but if you don't beat him in Claire's, he shows up towards the end of Barry's scenario, except he's more mutated and the only way to defeat him is to shoot all these eyes that popped-up all over his body. Fight him in a very narrow, enclosed building as well, which can be very tense.

yepppp, this is exactly how i feel too. i'm glad you noticed the
fake out destructible wall
too because that was such a clever touch. there's a lot of really good small things that are just randomly there like
the basement room with the hanging bodies casting a human-shaped shadow but only when leaving
that are just there to mess with attentive players

the claire->barry scenario changer this time is reaaaal interesting too

Does
the drill from Pedro fight #2 carry over when you play it a second time?

Seyavesh

He doesn't if you
manage to kill him in Claire's section
, apparently. Is that what you did?

Although if that's the case, I wonder how you're able to proceed in Barry's section. They would have to force you to
collect the drill
in the fishing village.

the big rock that claire and neil lift up with the big marked "drill X" stays around if you do that and barry has to drill through rather than the rock being mysteriously gone

Does
the drill from Pedro fight #2 carry over when you play it a second time?

it definitely doesn't

the more i think about this episode the more i wish this game got a full budget

Neiteio

the big rock that claire and neil lift up with the big marked "drill X" stays around if you do that and barry has to drill through rather than the rock being mysteriously gone
Goddamn that's clever. It works on multiple levels:
If Pedro is defeated, then clearly the barricade remains at the tunnel, and Barry is forced to collect the drill, which guarantees he'll also make it out of the apartments later. Yet if Pedro is not defeated, the absence of that barrier in Barry's half is still explained by the fact Pedro, himself, drilled through it as he continued to stalk Claire and Moira all the way to the apartments... where Barry can then defeat him, and collect the drill.

Personally, I think the second fight is too good to pass up. But I am interested to try the "one fight only" approach.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How do I download episode 2 onto my PS4? I bought the season pass, and I don't see it in the web store...

Neiteio

How do I download episode 2 onto my PS4? I bought the season pass, and I don't see it in the web store...
Go to PSN, scroll across recent games until you get to RER2 Episode 2. It will be advertised as $5, but when you access its store page, it'll simply say "Download." Download it and you'll be ready to play.

Top Bottom