• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

My bad, I thought that was Chris when watching the gif on my phone.

Chris doesnt have a ground pound.

Chris turns into colossus from Xmen

dcLRU8j.gif

Sweet Jesus.

This shit is out of control.

the big rock that claire and neil lift up with the big marked "drill X" stays around if you do that and barry has to drill through rather than the rock being mysteriously gone

it definitely doesn't

the more i think about this episode the more i wish this game got a full budget

aw

I'm hopeful Capcpom takes some hints from the design of this in RE7 (e3 teaser pls). In the sense of toning down the action parts, creative/creepy enemies like the glasp and those ouroburos dudes (I will never remember their name), no QTEs or over-the-top cuhrazy action setpieces, etc. A small-scale story would be nice too.

Neiteio

RE:
the drill from Pedro #2 not carrying over to repeat playthroughs
— why would it? It's a key for opening doors, not a weapon. You can only use it as a weapon in Raid. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Barry continues to use it to open doors in Episode III.

If this is a "budget" game, it doesn't really feel like one. Its texture work seems on par with RE6 (I realized this last night while playing Raid 3-6). Maybe it'll end up having less enemies/bosses overall than the average RE, but Rev 2 already feels more focused and better paced than the campaigns in RE6 and RE5, approaching places from many different directions and encouraging the player to really scour them for resources, key items and collectibles. A lot more tension buildup and all-around atmosphere.

I mean, I see the shortcuts they took — shared melee, recycled levels from RE6 in Raid, etc — but it seems this is a case where they're doing more with less, not less with more. Revisiting locations from Claire and Moira's half as Barry and Natalia feels varied and meaningful rather than a simple retread. Seeing these places at different times of the day, in different weather, six months later, with new monsters on the prowl, new traps in place, and new obstacles to bypass, taking lengthy detours through all-new areas — it's an effective, economical approach that makes the island of Rev 2 feel more fleshed out, with a stronger sense of place, than many locations in RE5 and RE6.

In other words, I'm all for this approach, especially the episodic structure that keeps discussion rolling and allows us to replay slices of the campaign (and new Raid missions!) before the next episode arrives.

Bladenic

Okay so I paused right as
some giant fat fire thing dropped through the ceiling on Claire and Moira.

I still haven't finished Claire's side and been playing for at least 2 hours. Episode 2 definitely has way more content. And I gotta say, I loved episode 2 so far. I Would be 100% fine with Capcom continuing these smaller budget installments in between the main entries, as long as they're as good as RER2 has been (and assuming the last 2 episodes are as good). What's more, I'm actually pretty intrigued by the story so far, which hasn't happened with RE4, 5, or 6. RER had some intrigue but didn't follow through very well on the reveals, which I hope RER2 doesn't do the same.

I feel like I missed a ton of stuff so far though. Top3:

1. Can you
beat Pedro in the village?

2. In that room with the Russian broadcast, there was a crate. Where could I have used it and to get what?

3. Right before exiting a building and being back in the streets, a room with the exploding enemy (I have yet to kill these btw, I try running away but the AI keeps getting blown up on, do you just shoot them a lot quickly?) has a hole. Didn't try jumping down, what did I miss?

But yeah, loving this game.

Neiteio

Okay so I paused right as
some giant fat fire thing dropped through the ceiling on Claire and Moira.

I still haven't finished Claire's side and been playing for at least 2 hours. Episode 2 definitely has way more content. And I gotta say, I loved episode 2 so far. I Would be 100% fine with Capcom continuing these smaller budget installments in between the main entries, as long as they're as good as RER2 has been (and assuming the last 2 episodes are as good). What's more, I'm actually pretty intrigued by the story so far, which hasn't happened with RE4, 5, or 6. RER had some intrigue but didn't follow through very well on the reveals, which I hope RER2 doesn't do the same.

I feel like I missed a ton of stuff so far though. Top3:

1. Can you
beat Pedro in the village?

2. In that room with the Russian broadcast, there was a crate. Where could I have used it and to get what?

3. Right before exiting a building and being back in the streets, a room with the exploding enemy (I have yet to kill these btw, I try running away but the AI keeps getting blown up on, do you just shoot them a lot quickly?) has a hole. Didn't try jumping down, what did I miss?

But yeah, loving this game.
You can beat Pedro in the village. But... Well, I don't want to spoil anything. Let's just say you're not missing anything if you didn't defeat him. I think there's an extra area you can reach if you defeat him back then, but there's also something extra that will happen if you -don't- defeat him in the village.

The crate in the bar with the Russian broadcast can be picked up and put down by the wall with the mounted shotgun, allowing you to retrieve it. This gives Claire two shotguns. The new one is weaker but can fire five shots before reloading.

The exploding enemies can be killed by shooting them repeatedly. Shooting them causes them to inflate like a balloon until they explode. You want to give yourself some distance and detonate them from far away. As for the hole in the floor, if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's just another way into the dark basement with the two operating tables. You visited it earlier, I believe, since there's a staircase and you pass through that area. The shortcut is there to give you another way in during Barry's half...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Am I wrong in thinking that if you headshot the Afflicted with the goo on their face as Claire the exploding blobs will carry on to Barry's scenario? Another neat touch if it's like that.

I think you're right. I notice where I killed the enemies with goo on their face in Claire's scenario, there then happens to be explosive blisters on the ground in Barry's scenario. Guess they needed some time to mature.

SeanTSC

You can beat Pedro in the village. But... Well, I don't want to spoil anything. Let's just say you're not missing anything if you didn't defeat him. I think there's an extra area you can reach if you defeat him back then, but there's also something extra that will happen if you -don't- defeat him in the village.

There's an extra little area it opens for Barry if you have the Drill early and for getting fast run times it lets you skip a pretty substantial section with Barry if you kill him with Claire.

Neiteio

There's an extra little area it opens for Barry if you have the Drill early and for getting fast run times it lets you skip a pretty substantial section with Barry if you kill him with Claire.
erm, you might want to fix the spoiler tag in your quote of what I said

Bladenic

Omg so I missed a gun? FUCK

Finished Claire. Now, what are those other completion things beside the medals? Have no idea what they are.

1337Sauce

Okay, really interested in picking this game up. Was originally going to wait for the disc, but I don't think I can do it anymore. However, I have not played Revelations 1 yet. This is the only Resident Evil game that I have not played, and while I'm going to play it, I would like to experience Revelations 2 as the episodes are coming out.

Is Revelations 1 necessary? Or is this game merely a link between RE 5 and 6? I know this has probably been answered already but I searched for a bit and couldn't find anything on the last couple pages.

Dusk Golem

Omg so I missed a gun? FUCK

Finished Claire. Now, what are those other completion things beside the medals? Have no idea what they are.

Good news is if you pick up the gun, it'll carry over, as inventory stays consistent between runs (except on Invisible and Countdown mode).

Dusk Golem

Okay, really interested in picking this game up. Was originally going to wait for the disc, but I don't think I can do it anymore. However, I have not played Revelations 1 yet. This is the only Resident Evil game that I have not played, and while I'm going to play it, I would like to experience Revelations 2 as the episodes are coming out.

Is Revelations 1 necessary? Or is this game merely a link between RE 5 and 6? I know this has probably been answered already but I searched for a bit and couldn't find anything on the last couple pages.

Revelations 1 is not necessary, but there is a small linking to it, but it's not that important. However, I will say this, the game is very linked to other entries in the series, but is told in such a way you don't need to know it to enjoy the game, just adds a little something extra if you do.

So who else thought it was sick as fuck when
after the Wesker reveal, the huge monster thing just descends down out of nowhere
that was actually pretty scary to me.

Neiteio

after the Wesker reveal, the huge monster thing just descends down out of nowhere
That was great. That whole area was twisted as fuck.
The decapitated and disemboweled baby dolls crucified upside-down, WTF!

Reebot

You can beat Pedro in the village? Awesome!

Really loving the interplay between the campaigns and how its handled. They don't shove it in your face, not a lot of attention called, but there are those fun links like above that do change things up.

RE 7 should follow this model but with RE 6 combat.

Corpsepyre

Banned
FINALLY! Managed to run this on my PC. Was a stuttering mess, but I copied the DLL file into the main game folder, and it's running much better.

Barry's such a fucking cool dude! Loved his lines throughout. Also, Moira's cheesy as shit 80's terribad lines were epic as well. Can't wait to play episode 2.

NIN90

FINALLY! Managed to run this on my PC. Was a stuttering mess, but I copied the DLL file into the main game folder, and it's running much better.

Barry's such a fucking cool dude! Loved his lines throughout. Also, Moira's cheesy as shit 80's terribad lines were epic as well. Can't wait to play episode 2.

What dll file is this?

SkylineRKR

Yeah but too bad
that we know she turned into what is yet another disposable freak.

Hmm, Leon doesn't seem to be showing up in Raid mode for me. I own the full season, but I haven't finished episode 1 in the campaign. Will he unlock once I finish it?

SeanTSC

Anyone get all 9 notes for Episode 2? I seem to be missing one.

I've got:

Traveler's Diary
Mock Experiment Results
Town Resident's Note
Gabe's Note
Female Villager's Letter
Town Resident's Memo
Clinical Experiment Notes
Parting Words to My Dear Father

No clue where the 9th one is.

Also in Records I have a slot totally grayed out. It's between "Got the Bomb on Me" and "Sharpshooter". No clue what it is, but it's just gray and ???.

Hmm, Leon doesn't seem to be showing up in Raid mode for me. I own the full season, but I haven't finished episode 1 in the campaign. Will he unlock once I finish it?

I believe he is locked until you get 20 Completion Medallions (not just 20 Medallions) in Raid Mode

Anyone get all 9 notes for Episode 2? I seem to be missing one.

I've got:

Traveler's Diary
Mock Experiment Results
Town Resident's Note
Gabe's Note
Female Villager's Letter
Town Resident's Memo
Clinical Experiment Notes
Parting Words to My Dear Father

No clue where the 9th one is.

Also in Records I have a slot totally grayed out. It's between "Got the Bomb on Me" and "Sharpshooter". No clue what it is, but it's just gray and ???.

Other note...

Pedro's Notes on the Bracelet Inside the Wossek bar on the bar table (as Barry).

Just finished episode 2.

I must say I'm really impressed with the game thus far.

They aren't afraid to have moments of inactivity to create tension and utilize that kind of pacing to really drive home the action moments.

Also, the visuals aren't as bad as people say. The game has a nice image quality to it and it's really only the textures that could use some work. The lighting model works well in certain areas that call for it.

Vamphuntr

I cleared episode 2. Once again Barry's chapter is much easier than Claire's. Claire's chapter reminded me of RE4.

A couple questions:

EP2 Spoilers

-I killed Pedro with Claire. Does it change something?
-I take it that Claire and Moira's boss is a bad guy in this? His bracelet stays green the whole time and he seems the only one that could take Natalia. She also mentions a Terra Save guy that saved her from Terragrigia (nooooooooo not a reference to that place)and gave her the bear.

Dusk Golem

Someone else found something in the files of Raid Mode, I checked and it all seems to check out, think we've found what the unlockable of Raid Mode is. Heads-up, no story spoilers at all, but Raid Mode spoilers:

So, this first thing may be expected, but the last Gauntlet with only a Very Hard option only has one stage. This is probably our 'ghost ship' level, has the whole island from Revelations 2 as one big stage. I also thought they may do this as Ghost Ship was well-received, and I've been noticing the whole island is connected at this points so far in the game... All areas can interlock into each other well. There are hints like in Revelations HD there is a hidden boss exclusive to this stage at the end of the stage as well.

Now, when you get all completion medals, it looks like you also unlock something new, known as, 'Code Red'. Basically, it's the Red Queen system trying to kill you. It adds a new versions of each stage, basically a new difficulty, but it adds a lot more elite enemies, bosses, and has a much higher enemy count. It looks like the Raid lobby will change in appearance some when you unlock Code Red, as well.

And the final kicker: There's a Code Red version of the open-world stage.

SkylineRKR

I cleared episode 2. Once again Barry's chapter is much easier than Claire's. Claire's chapter reminded me of RE4.

A couple questions:

EP2 Spoilers

-I killed Pedro with Claire. Does it change something?
-I take it that Claire and Moira's boss is a bad guy in this? His bracelet stays green the whole time and he seems the only one that could take Natalia. She also mentions a Terra Save guy that saved from Terragrigia (nooooooooo not a reference to that place)and gave her the bear.

-Yes. You missed out on a very fun boss fight with Barry. But on the flip side you got the drill earlier.

-I think so. 2 episodes to go.

I have to say they absolutely nailed Barry, as someone who never really cared about him besides his classic lines they worked all that into a decent lead character.
I think i'd actually be interested in seeing this Barry off the job as well.

Jawmuncher

Someone else found something in the files of Raid Mode, I checked and it all seems to check out, think we've found what the unlockable of Raid Mode is. Heads-up, no story spoilers at all, but Raid Mode spoilers:

So, this first thing may be expected, but the last Gauntlet with only a Very Hard option only has one stage. This is probably our 'ghost ship' level, has the whole island from Revelations 2 as one big stage. I also thought they may do this as Ghost Ship was well-received, and I've been noticing the whole island is connected at this points so far in the game... All areas can interlock into each other well. There are hints like in Revelations HD there is a hidden boss exclusive to this stage at the end of the stage as well.

Now, when you get all completion medals, it looks like you also unlock something new, known as, 'Code Red'. Basically, it's the Red Queen system trying to kill you. It adds a new versions of each stage, basically a new difficulty, but it adds a lot more elite enemies, bosses, and has a much higher enemy count. It looks like the Raid lobby will change in appearance some when you unlock Code Red, as well.

reading this it would be cool if the Raid Mode Hub had different styles you could choose from based off locations in the game or other REs. Mainly since it's so uninteresting.

Neiteio

So you're 100% sure Gauntlet Omega is
a Ghost Ship-style run through the ENTIRE island
... Right? Not just inference at this point, but certainty?

If so:

KAIb1.gif

Dusk Golem

So you're 100% sure Gauntlet Omega is
a Ghost Ship-style run through the ENTIRE island
... Right? Not just inference at this point, but certainty?

If so:

KAIb1.gif

I won't say 100% since the stage files aren't there yet (they get added when the episodes get added), but fairly certain. And here's the reasoning:
01.) There's only one stage in the last Gauntlet, which is only available on Very Hard difficulty. This should be familiar to anyone who played Revelations 1.
02.) Notice in the main campaign, everything is connected and can be accessed, and how the main game loads areas when you go through certain doors seamlessly. I don't think they'd make everything so connected and do the loading thing as they do if they didn't need all the locations to be connected for a reason.
03.) There's hookings for there to be an exclusive enemy in that stage, as well as evidence basically every enemy in the game will be in that stage.
04.) Ghost Ship was well received in Revelations 1, I don't think they'd get rid of it.

Neiteio

I won't say 100% since the stage files aren't there yet (they get added when the episodes get added), but fairly certain. And here's the reasoning:
01.) There's only one stage in the last Gauntlet, which is only available on Very Hard difficulty. This should be familiar to anyone who played Revelations 1.
02.) Notice in the main campaign, everything is connected and can be accessed, and how the main game loads areas when you go through certain doors seamlessly. I don't think they'd make everything so connected and do the loading thing as they do if they didn't need all the locations to be connected for a reason.
03.) There's hookings for there to be an exclusive enemy in that stage, as well as evidence basically every enemy in the game will be in that stage.
04.) Ghost Ship was well received in Revelations 1, I don't think they'd get rid of it.
I hope you're right. I could see them taking the easy way out and making it
an arena fight with waves featuring every enemy + the new enemy
, or possibly even
Ghost Ship itself, but with Rev 2 enemies
, but hopefully it will be the
entire interconnected island

Dusk Golem

, or possibly even

We'll have to see, but what I can say 100% is that Code Red is going to be a bitch. All the enemies move faster defaultly, the enemies are moved in trickier, harder locations, and there's a lot more of them. And most of the enemies are elites. The person who discovered this went to the first level and tried it in Code Red, he reported the first level of Raid Mode Gauntlet 1 is packed full of Hunters and Sacgdeads in Code Red mode. Was also double-confirmed from someone on the Steam forums, apparently a video of this will be made soon.

, or possibly even

Man i'd buy
the full Ghost Ship, as DLC
at a high price.

Just played through Claire's part in episode 2, will play the rest tomorrow, this game is simply awesome.
Things sure got intense.
Claire is such a badass, as a huge Claire fanboy I couldn't be happier.
Had a small issue with the AI companions on one occasion but other than that I loved every second.
Even with how packed this year is this will definitely be on my goty list.
They just need to throw in some good old puzzles to turn this exactly into what modern RE should be.

Jawmuncher

I didn't enjoy the Raid mode in Rev 1 to go farther than the second difficulty.
Was way too grindy for my tastes. Shame I missed out on Ghost Ship but I wasn't going to put that amount of time to get to it.

tesqui

was that a stylistic choice for the first raid map of ep 2? Or did they run out of time to implement textures? Either way not really feeling it.

Raid modes still fantastic though.

Jawmuncher

Its bad but I was hoping my friend would ditch his plans of playing Diablo 3 today so I could play Episode 2. Oh well i'll just wait until tomorrow.

I didn't enjoy the Raid mode in Rev 1 to go farther than the second difficulty.
Was way too grindy for my tastes. Shame I missed out on Ghost Ship but I wasn't going to put that amount of time to get to it.
3DS or HD version?

Thought the 3DS version was perfectly balanced with weapons, skills, attachments, etc.
They really screwed it in the HD version as anything decent was held way back and every mission turned to a grind.
Heck even ammo was more trouble in the HD version for some reason.

Top Bottom