• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Neiteio

actually DECEASED at the fact the entirety of RE6 appears to be in Raid Mode. Jesus Capcom. Where is Public Assembly?
Have you played all of the Raid content tied to episodes 3 and 4? I know you've played the whole game, but I wonder if that extends to Raid.

If so, can you confirm whether Omega Gauntlet is in fact a Ghost Ship-style run through the entire island?

Also, bummer if true that Public Assembly isn't in. That's one of the areas from RE5 that is straight-up classic, imo.

Neiteio

I purchased the toolbox the other night, but I'm not sure where it is or what it does.

Also, loving the Shield skill. Leveled it to lv. 5 and it's very helpful.

Only downside is the shield icon obscures Claire's booty.

Nemesis_

Have you played all of the Raid content tied to episodes 3 and 4? I know you've played the whole game, but I wonder if that extends to Raid.

If so, can you confirm whether Omega Gauntlet is in fact a Ghost Ship-style run through the entire island?

Also, bummer if true that Public Assembly isn't in. That's one of the areas from RE5 that is straight-up classic, imo.

I'm on the Gauntlets for Episode 3 on Normal but that's it for now. I am not sure if I'm meant to confirm anything but at the same time at this rate it might take me too long anyway. I'll see how I go :p

I'd love to be surprised with some RE5 or even Mercs 3D content here but I doubt it's going to happen. I wonder why they used RE6 so much.

I purchased the toolbox the other night, but I'm not sure where it is or what it does.

Also, loving the Shield skill. Leveled it to lv. 5 and it's very helpful.

Only downside is the shield icon obscures Claire's booty.

The toolbox is to the left of the weapon bench. You can use it to make your parts more powerful. Merging two Damage Lvl 1s creates a Damage Lvl 2. Two Damage Lvl 2 creates a Level 3 and so forth.

I purchased the upgrade that lets me craft Lvl 4 parts I think

Reedirect

Finally finished episode 2 and damn, it's actually getting pretty good. Shame that so far both Claire and Moira chapters were always a little more interesting than Barry and Natalia. In terms of pacing, it always peaks too soon. But with the last cliffhanger maybe we'll get a little more from Barry next week.

I also try to play as Moira most of the time in the first half, since it's a bigger challenge than mowing down enemies with Claire. Still haven't figured out how to beat the chapter boss with her though, AI Claire is so goddamn useless.

I'm on the Gauntlets for Episode 3 on Normal but that's it for now. I am not sure if I'm meant to confirm anything but at the same time at this rate it might take me too long anyway. I'll see how I go :p

I'd love to be surprised with some RE5 or even Mercs 3D content here but I doubt it's going to happen. I wonder why they used RE6 so much.

Well, we got Axe swinging Executioner and Wesker, so you never know ;o

FatalT

Banned
I am not the only one with this problem, there is a thread on sony's support forums about this. Another person in this thread is having the same problem as me. No matter what I have done it will not let me download episode 2.

I'm guessing it's still not fixed today? I just woke up but last night I ended up getting Zombie Army Trilogy because it's not like I'll be killing zombies in Revelations 2's Episode 2 anytime soon. I might contact PSN support today and just get the $19.99 pass refunded, then buy the $24.99. I'm tired of waiting for this bullshit.

Pilgrimzero

I'll say this, I'm really enjoying Revelations 2, a lot more than I expected, but its not perfect, and there's a few things I think the game could do to better its pacing if they were to make another RE title like this in the future.

I agree, with Barry and Natalia, there's some definite slow moments as you go crouching around, trying to stealth. I don't mind the stealth in the game, and it does give a you an option and it's not forced so far in the game as something you have to do, but I'm not sure I like how stealth contrasts with the other elements of the game. I like the down-time in the game, but I'm not sure how well I like the stealth elements in the RE formula. The low ammo does make stealth liable, but I will admit I have a bit less fun in sections where I'm crouched, watching enemy patterns through the wall as Natalia, than the other stuff in the game. I think the problem is the stealth is too by-the-books, its new for RE, but the stealth itself is really simple, and kind of just slows the pace of the game. The enemies so far aren't particularly interesting to stealth either, due to them working in simple patterns and little toss-up. A horror game that does stealth well is Siren, but the game is built around it and there's a lot of interesting and varied enemies to sneak past, who are creepy despite them not having spot you, who have interesting behaviors and are tense to sneak past, with less simple patterns and more variety and interesting situations. In Revelations 2, there's less of that, and the stealth feels like the big monsters could be replaced by just typical human soldiers and it'd be about the same, so the stealth in turn feels less interesting as it doesn't bring out the unique traits of the monsters, and sneaking on all the monsters feels about the same.

The other thing is that stealth just breaks some elements of the game, if you know how to abuse it. Smoke screen bottles are too OP if you figure out how to use them well, making you able to stealth kill 1-hit even tough enemies. If playing single player, you can also utilize a cheap strategy to make it so you tell one character to wait behind, and then send one character in (Natalia, usually, as she can see enemies), but if about to be spotted, you can then quickly just switch characters to the one you have stored somewhere safe, and tell her to wait there, as the enemy won't spot the AI character, and just wait for them to pass, and then switch off back to them to continue stealthing.

It's not so at fault or a bore that it drags the whole game down, but while I appreciate the option and do use it, I think the stealth could be better handled and more interesting, and not sure I'd want stealth to creep its way into future Resident Evil games.

But they pull off a lot of things well, I am much more enjoying this and it makes the whole thing a lot more enjoyable for me. I'm enjoying the enemies, level design, pacing, low-down atmosphere moments, the characters, story, sound design, tense encounters and action sequences, and just moment to moment gameplay and small touches (like how the scenarios effect each other, small little side things to do like getting the shotgun or the not using the flamethrower in episode 1) are making me like this a lot, plus the amount of replayability, and of course, Raid Mode addictiveness.

Not saying I hate the stealth stuff, I just don't like having to "be" the person whos only job is pointing out items or monsters. I'd rather be Claire/Barry all the time. And in a perfect world my AI kid partners would do what I need them to do without my input.

News Bot

Banned
Ok, I started playing Ep 2: Claire in Japanese on hard, but I'm gonna start over on normal because I can't pay attention to what they're saying very well when I'm struggling to survive. Hard is... well, really hard.

One thing I noticed is that Pedro is (surprise) portrayed differently. I noticed he dropped a line about feeling like the main character in a Kafka novel when his English dialogue was him complaining. He doesn't say "balls" (obviously, as that's not really a thing in Japanese) or swear, but rather has lines like "Oh man" or "This is bad". One line I remember is this:

English:

Pedro: "Gabe abandoned us! What are we gonna do?"

Japanese:

Pedro: "Gabe still isn't here? Do you think he ran away!?"

He seemed more hesitant to jump to the conclusion that Gabe abandoned them in Japanese.

Another example of how Moira is portrayed differently:

English:

Moira: "Chill the fuck out!"

Japanese:

Moira: "Calm down! Don't give up yet!"

In English, she sounded frustrated and condescending, while in Japanese, she sounded frustrated, but then tried to calm Pedro down in a positive way.

Overall, Gabe is the same, Claire is the same, Moira is very different, Pedro is kinda different. I wish I remembered the English line equivalent for his Kafka character comment; that was definitely the most stand-out line difference.

Have you looked at Claire's absurd dialogue upon meeting Natalia? It's completely out of character. Maternal character with lots of experience with children suddenly forgets how to interact with children.

Reedirect

I'm also really enjoying this episodic format of one episode per week. It keeps me consistently hyped for more, but it's never that far away, so I don't lose interest or get annoyed that I'm waiting for too long. Most Telltale games and (especially) Life Is Strange would benefit from this greatly.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's really noticeable in the forest areas, but Barry seems ok indoors and the non-forest outdoor places.
Yeah, forested scenes are far and away the worse. They are pretty choppy.

Even outside of them, though, there is a general instability that I found irritating. I played through episode 2 on PS4 as well and, yeah, it's really no better than episode 1. Still no patch, though, so I'm hoping there is SOMETHING coming. There's no logical reason why it should be smoother on Xbox One - it just doesn't make any sense. There is an inefficiency somewhere that they should really try to correct.

gconsole

I'm also really enjoying this episodic format of one episode per week. It keeps me consistently hyped for more, but it's never that far away, so I don't lose interest or get annoyed that I'm waiting for too long. Most Telltale games and (especially) Life Is Strange would benefit from this greatly.

That means finish the whole game and sell it separately...

AdaWong

I think this is the first Resident Evil game that co-op has actually adversely affected my gameplay experience. It's because that Moira/Natalia play so much differently than Claire/Barry.

I really HATED the Genesis device in Revelations 1. The idea of slowly scanning every stretch of the environment for some items really killed the pace of that game for me. I'm disappointed that they decided to transfer that over to Revelations 2 with the flashlight/pointing.

It just feels like a chore to switch between the characters so often. Though, for some reason, I enjoy playing as Natalia a lot more than Moira, probably because her sense ability is pretty useful, and they actually have enemies that require it in Episode 2. It's still kind of silly that I pretty much play as Natalia/Moira on point, despite them not having weapons, just so I can find items faster.

I just upgraded Moira's crowbar all the way after finishing Episode 2, so maybe I'll be able to get by combat sections without having to switch the Claire.

Also, final thought: why did they change Claire's voice? Alyson Court would've made this game so much cooler for me.

Thats one thing i really dislike about this game, I wouldn't mind switching characters every now and then. But this game REQUIRES you to use Moira for exploration and Claire for combat. No, I waited one billion years for Claire to star in a RE game again, can i just play as her all the time and not like 1/4 of the episode?

Screw Public Assembly, where is
grXJmpv.jpg

as a Raid map?

SeanTSC

Yeah, forested scenes are far and away the worse. They are pretty choppy.

Even outside of them, though, there is a general instability that I found irritating. I played through episode 2 on PS4 as well and, yeah, it's really no better than episode 1. Still no patch, though, so I'm hoping there is SOMETHING coming. There's no logical reason why it should be smoother on Xbox One - it just doesn't make any sense. There is an inefficiency somewhere that they should really try to correct.

Definitely needs patched pretty badly. It's not unplayable by any means and Claire is pretty smooth in general, but Barry's side chugs way too much. At least Barry's sides are much shorter and and easy to S Rank even on Countdown and Invisible Enemy so you don't have to deal with it that often.

The way that Barry's side in particular is so much worse than Claire's makes me think that there's some buggy visual effect on his side on the PS4 code that grinds FPS down hard.

Nemesis_

Hey Nemesis_, are there are more ties / references to REv 1 other than
Natalia being from Terragrigia
?

Not in the game proper. There may be some informaiton in those secret files (which are tied to collection of Kafka Drawings and Insect Larvae) but I have yet to unlock all of those. News Bot has them somehow already though, so he might know.

SeanTSC

Nemesis_: Since you have access to more of the game, is it possible for you to answer my question about the missing Record entry I have in episode 2?

It's between "Got the Bomb on Me" and "Sharpshooter" on the Records page. For whatever reason it's totally grayed out with ??? for the Clear Conditions and I have absolutely no clue what it's for and it's bugging the hell out of me. Absolute last thing I have left for Episode 2. 64/65 completed.

Not sure if it'd be in a different position with more of the game unlocked and no clue why it's locked for me and no one else in the thread has said anything about it, so no clue if it's just a me issue or what.

Neiteio

Something I loved in Mercs 3D is how they incorporated that bat/silkworm hybrid from RE5. It was legit shocking to see him running around a Mercs map. I think he'd be a fantastic addition to Raid here.

resident-evil-the-mercenaries-3d-3ds_053.jpg_760.jpg

Nemesis_ said:
The toolbox is to the left of the weapon bench. You can use it to make your parts more powerful. Merging two Damage Lvl 1s creates a Damage Lvl 2. Two Damage Lvl 2 creates a Level 3 and so forth.

I purchased the upgrade that lets me craft Lvl 4 parts I think
Holy shiiiiiiiiit. You, sir, just made my character much more powerful. I have so many lv. 1 duplicates. High capacity and damage output, here I come!

Have you looked at Claire's absurd dialogue upon meeting Natalia? It's completely out of character. Maternal character with lots of experience with children suddenly forgets how to interact with children.

Yeah, that's only thing about Claire that bothered me, but the scene worked well for Moira since it reminded us that she
has a younger sister
and also showed us a completely new side of the character.
It also avoided some serious RE2 deja-vu since the situation is completely identical and the scene would've played out almost exactly like when Claire
meets Sherry
in RE2.

Nemesis_

Nemesis_: Since you have access to more of the game, is it possible for you to answer my question about the missing Record entry I have in episode 2?

It's between "Got the Bomb on Me" and "Sharpshooter" on the Records page. For whatever reason it's totally grayed out with ??? for the Clear Conditions and I have absolutely no clue what it's for and it's bugging the hell out of me. Absolute last thing I have left for Episode 2. 64/65 completed.

Not sure if it'd be in a different position with more of the game unlocked and no clue why it's locked for me and no one else in the thread has said anything about it, so no clue if it's just a me issue or what.

Mine's not showing either, I must've missed it too ._.

Pilgrimzero

Has anyone else had an issue where once you die and restart the game runs like shit?

Runs fine and then DEATH and it's slow and choppy.

AdaWong

I was thinking about why I love Revelations 2 so much and I think I've worked it out.

I absolutely adored Separate Ways. Not only because it was all about one of my favourite characters, but because I was treading familiar ground (yet during another time period). I enjoyed seeing how things had changed or piecing things together to get a better understanding of how things came to be that way.'

Yes, there were times where Ada would be in a similar area, but explore it differently (the shipyard is a good example). But it was still a calculated retread.

Revelations 2, and the nature of the two campaigns, scratches a remarkably similar itch for me.

PREACH. T_T
You have nailed my feelings.

Neiteio

I must be the only person not experiencing performance issues (knock on wood). Playing on PS4. Framerate looks a solid 60 in interior locations. I think it dips below that in the woods, but the forest is pitch-black and it's hard to tell. Also, the image quality is really clean. Love taking screenshots in this game.

Risible

Man, was this money well spent. It's a fantastic game and a ton of content for $25. Really a great deal. Between the various ways to run the episodes and the Raid mode I've sunk a ton of hours in and feel like I got my money's worth already. People love to hate on Capcom but for me they rarely let me down.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
How's raid mode in Episode 2? I've got to wait until tomorrow in order to play this chapter :(

Neiteio

Man, was this money well spent. It's a fantastic game and a ton of content for $25. Really a great deal. Between the various ways to run the episodes and the Raid mode I've sunk a ton of hours in and feel like I got my money's worth already. People love to hate on Capcom but for me they rarely let me down.
Agreed, this is a fantastic value. Up there with Nintendo DLC in terms of "doing it right."

Ralemont

not me
Any way to make pistols stun with one shot? Even with Daze lv3 it takes 2. Moira feels like a bit of a wasted character since it's always better to just shotgun things than stun --> melee.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I just finished Claire's scenario, and that segment was the same in Japanese. So her out of character behavior is the fault of the script writers, not the translation. She didn't sound as forceful in Japanese, and showed more concern than demand. That part in particular reminded me more of somebody's mom asking them tons of questions before they leave the house. "Do you have a coat? Do you have gloves? Where are you going? When will you be back? When-" etc. Nagging mom stuff. But, that also applies to how her Japanese voice actress portrays her as a whole.

Oh, and my earlier example about Pedro's Kafka line: I was wrong, that was Gabe.

English:

Gabe: *Defiantly* "We're not a bunch of lab rats!"

Japanese:

Gabe: *Exasperated* "I feel like the main character in a Kafka story."

Kind of a random change to make...

Neiteio

I recall someone here saying the script was written in English first. If that's true, this would suggest the Japanese translation is the one taking liberties.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I recall someone here saying the script was written in English first. If that's true, this would suggest the Japanese translation is the one taking liberties.
I think the English dub is done first, but the Japanese script is the original. That's how it was in the earlier games (minus a dub for Japan - they just had the English VA). But, I could be wrong.

Edit: And I am wrong, as seen below.

News Bot

Banned
I just finished Claire's scenario, and that segment was the same in Japanese. So her out of character behavior is the fault of the script writers, not the translation. She didn't sound as forceful in Japanese, and showed more concern than demand. That part in particular reminded me more of somebody's mom asking them tons of questions before they leave the house. "Do you have a coat? Do you have gloves? Where are you going? When will you be back? When-" etc. Nagging mom stuff. But, that also applies to how her Japanese voice actress portrays her as a whole.

Oh, and my earlier example about Pedro's Kafka line: I was wrong, that was Gabe.

English:

Gabe: *Defiantly* "We're not a bunch of lab rats!"

Japanese:

Gabe: *Exasperated* "I feel like the main character in a Kafka story."

Kind of a random change to make...

Gabe's English line is probably a reference to Steve in Darkside Chronicles, he says the exact same thing to Alfred. Not like the English writers give a fuck about whether it makes sense or not. Glad to know Claire's line is at least somewhat different in the Japanese script in terms of how it's said, makes a lot more sense.

This isn't really how it works. The English script was written first and then translated into Japanese and rewritten to actually make any sense at all. The English writers not only have a limited perception of the series storyline (20 years of mistranslations and poor localizations will do that to you), but they aren't as "in-tune" with the story or characters. No matter what approach is taken to the script, an English writer/translator is always at a disadvantage. The reason they removed the references in the Japanese script and tweaked the dialogue to make more sense is because they wouldn't make sense at all as they were. The sandwich, unlocking etc references never existed in the Japanese versions, and thus never existed in the "canon." Japanese players would be stumped.

What it comes down to is that the English writers/translators either don't care about the story at all, or care but are fighting a losing battle with keeping it consistent for English players despite 20 years of piss poor localization.

Kuraudo

Banned

Isn't that section just a repeat of her first encounter with Sherry, where Sherry runs away from her? I thought the writers were just showing that Moira is better and quicker at gaining a child's trust in that situation, as opposed to Claire who had to grab and physically restrain Sherry.

Isn't that section just a repeat of her first encounter with Sherry, where Sherry runs away from her? I thought the writers were just showing that Moira is better and quicker at gaining a child's trust in that situation, as opposed to Claire who had to grab and physically restrain Sherry.

Yeah, that's what I said above, Moira's interference avoided what would've been an exact repitition of that RE2 scene.

Nemesis_

So an enemy I previously thought was exclusive to the DLC maps has appeared in Raid Mode for me naturally.

You can expect to find
Rasklapanje
in VI-03 Normal

Lum1n3s

Is there any benefit to getting the disc version of this game over the downloadable one besides actually owning a physical copy of the game?

FatalT

Banned
ATTENTION: If you have purchased Episode One on PS4 and want to purchase the Season Pass, DO NOT buy the in-game Season Pass that's $19.99. It is currently broken and Capcom/Sony are giving purchasers the runaround on when it will be fixed. Purchase the $24.99 Season Pass from the PSN store and just eat the $5.99.

I have made a video of what happens to me and other owners of the in-game season pass. I would LOVE to play Episode 2 but nope. For anyone who has responded to us in this thread wondering what's going on, please view this:

http://youtu.be/A99XH-COF1E

Top Bottom