• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Outbreak is one of the few RE games I have yet to play, I own both of them but have thought it best to wait to play online. I want to take advantage of the fan servers now up, but I need to find a way past this infinite loading screen glitch, I'm right on the verge of letting it work and have three friends patiently waiting to play it with me for the first time as well. OTL

Outside of that, I need to finish Gun Survivor 1 & 2 (wasn't too fond of what I played, I will admit, despite liking Dead Aim), and then the only Resident Evil games I need to get to sometimes is Mercenaries 3D and a couple of the mobile games (the Degeneration game is the only one that really interest me, though).

Seyavesh

You can stun them, the weak-point is the the little guy on its shoulder. If you land square shots on that, it'll push the monster back and temporarily keep him in place. I also find he has a hard time making sudden curves, so taking advantage of level layout has helped me a number of times.

This all said, while typing this, I just realized one reason they may be more challenging is that they no longer stop for a bit to spit out their traps, which was a good chance to unload on them and their traps I usually didn't fall for.

no I mean they don't have a stun animation like when you hit them with a stun nade or in their weak spot in rev1- they just pause for a second at most

the other buff they got was having an active hitbox on them the entire time which makes them way more likely to hit you

FaintDeftone

I just finished Episode 1 last night on PC finally. The game still has some framerate and stutter issues that need resolved, but overall it runs well. I plan on plopping down the $20 for the rest of the game soon. Overall I'm digging the game so far.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm probably going to go through Ep 2 in Japanese today. I'll post my impressions here when I'm done. I'm really interested to see Pedro's dialogue. I seriously doubt Japan has him saying balls in every sentence.

Speaking of Outbreak, did anyone else find David's voice fucking hilarious in that game? lol I just remember he sounded so gruff, like he had smoked 2 packs of cigs a day. God I wish they would port that game to current consoles...it was so fun. I was one of the few people online it at the time who had the HDD, lol

When you gonna play some Outbreak online with me man? I believe I told you about obsrv in the Keion thread!

You really should come back btw.

Outbreak is one of the few RE games I have yet to play, I own both of them but have thought it best to wait to play online. I want to take advantage of the fan servers now up, but I need to find a way past this infinite loading screen glitch, I'm right on the verge of letting it work and have three friends patiently waiting to play it with me for the first time as well. OTL

I've been using those fan servers for over a year. Shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can help you with that Problem. I'd love to play with you as well! Outbreak is one of my favorite RE games.

Dusk Golem

Thinking on it, for the two episode, four scenarios so far, if I had to rank them, I'd think I'd go:

Claire (ep. 2) > Barry (ep. 2) > Barry (ep. 1) > Claire (ep. 1)

Barry episode 1 & 2 are close for me, but I think I have to give it to episode 2 the beautiful opening forest lighting, the fun potential boss fight, and the creepy ending, though episode 1 I enjoyed the forest sequence quite a bit.

no I mean they don't have a stun animation like when you hit them with a stun nade or in their weak spot in rev1- they just pause for a second at most

the other buff they got was having an active hitbox on them the entire time which makes them way more likely to hit you

That's true, they also have seen a lot of buffs, like the active hitbox as mentioned, and the fact they don't stop to spit traps anymore. Also, as I'm not playing online, I can't take advantage of Revelations 1's latency of them just running in a corner or something.

Pilgrimzero

Beat eps 2. Much better than Eps 1.

I do have a couple of though

As Barry and Nat, I spend a lot of time as Nat in crouch/detect mode. Which I think takes away from the fun. Kind of like Batman Arkham Asylum here I spent most of the play time in detective mode.

And of course spend a lot of time as Moira due to the flashlight/secret items thing.

the Invis bugs sucks especially when they are on a floor above or below.

Missed the extra shotgun cause I destroyed the crate. Oops.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Can anybody here tell me how big the download for EP2 on Steam is? There is no way to check before buying, right? I still have EP1 installed.

Throwback dlc maps are still broken on ps4...
This is the latest ''update'':

original

What's the best handgun for Raid? I was using Samurai Edge but then I saw Triple Shot and it looked really effective.

I'm really liking the triple shot. I combine it with the auto-aim modification and it does wonders. But you have to have a lot of ammo for it (be sure to level up that handgun skill). Also you need to be careful not to waste two of the three bullets when an enemy is low on health. I usually switch to the machinegun to finish them off.

I'm really liking the triple shot. I combine it with the auto-aim modification and it does wonders. But you have to have a lot of ammo for it (be sure to level up that handgun skill). Also you need to be careful not to waste two of the three bullets when an enemy is low on health. I usually switch to the machinegun to finish them off.

That's good advice. Was watching someone with Wesker really beasting with that, and yeah I think they were using homing as well.

Dusk Golem

Beat eps 2. Much better than Eps 1.

I do have a couple of though

As Barry and Nat, I spend a lot of time as Nat in crouch/detect mode. Which I think takes away from the fun. Kind of like Batman Arkham Asylum here I spent most of the play time in detective mode.

And of course spend a lot of time as Moira due to the flashlight/secret items thing.

the Invis bugs sucks especially when they are on a floor above or below.

Missed the extra shotgun cause I destroyed the crate. Oops.

I'll say this, I'm really enjoying Revelations 2, a lot more than I expected, but its not perfect, and there's a few things I think the game could do to better its pacing if they were to make another RE title like this in the future.

I agree, with Barry and Natalia, there's some definite slow moments as you go crouching around, trying to stealth. I don't mind the stealth in the game, and it does give a you an option and it's not forced so far in the game as something you have to do, but I'm not sure I like how stealth contrasts with the other elements of the game. I like the down-time in the game, but I'm not sure how well I like the stealth elements in the RE formula. The low ammo does make stealth liable, but I will admit I have a bit less fun in sections where I'm crouched, watching enemy patterns through the wall as Natalia, than the other stuff in the game. I think the problem is the stealth is too by-the-books, its new for RE, but the stealth itself is really simple, and kind of just slows the pace of the game. The enemies so far aren't particularly interesting to stealth either, due to them working in simple patterns and little toss-up. A horror game that does stealth well is Siren, but the game is built around it and there's a lot of interesting and varied enemies to sneak past, who are creepy despite them not having spot you, who have interesting behaviors and are tense to sneak past, with less simple patterns and more variety and interesting situations. In Revelations 2, there's less of that, and the stealth feels like the big monsters could be replaced by just typical human soldiers and it'd be about the same, so the stealth in turn feels less interesting as it doesn't bring out the unique traits of the monsters, and sneaking on all the monsters feels about the same.

The other thing is that stealth just breaks some elements of the game, if you know how to abuse it. Smoke screen bottles are too OP if you figure out how to use them well, making you able to stealth kill 1-hit even tough enemies. If playing single player, you can also utilize a cheap strategy to make it so you tell one character to wait behind, and then send one character in (Natalia, usually, as she can see enemies), but if about to be spotted, you can then quickly just switch characters to the one you have stored somewhere safe, and tell her to wait there, as the enemy won't spot the AI character, and just wait for them to pass, and then switch off back to them to continue stealthing.

It's not so at fault or a bore that it drags the whole game down, but while I appreciate the option and do use it, I think the stealth could be better handled and more interesting, and not sure I'd want stealth to creep its way into future Resident Evil games.

But they pull off a lot of things well, I am much more enjoying this and it makes the whole thing a lot more enjoyable for me. I'm enjoying the enemies, level design, pacing, low-down atmosphere moments, the characters, story, sound design, tense encounters and action sequences, and just moment to moment gameplay and small touches (like how the scenarios effect each other, small little side things to do like getting the shotgun or the not using the flamethrower in episode 1) are making me like this a lot, plus the amount of replayability, and of course, Raid Mode addictiveness.

Nemesis_

I was thinking about why I love Revelations 2 so much and I think I've worked it out.

I absolutely adored Separate Ways. Not only because it was all about one of my favourite characters, but because I was treading familiar ground (yet during another time period). I enjoyed seeing how things had changed or piecing things together to get a better understanding of how things came to be that way.'

Yes, there were times where Ada would be in a similar area, but explore it differently (the shipyard is a good example). But it was still a calculated retread.

Revelations 2, and the nature of the two campaigns, scratches a remarkably similar itch for me.

njean777

What's not working for you? I've gotten both episodes just fine, but I still dont think the throwback raid maps are....either I don't know how to access them, or they're simply not there.

The season pass. If you bought the first episode and then purchased the season pass separately it doesn't work on ps4. PSN tries to charge you for the second episode and the in-game store in Revelations 2 does the same thing.

Damn, Claire's boss fight was intense, holy fucking shit!
I literally couldn't take another hit by the time I was done and only had a handful of bullets in the handgun (I did find a decoy bottle that I totally missed in the middle of all the wreckage which was hilarious).
Between dodging the
flaming cannon balls and the hammers coming from all directions, while also avoiding the flames all over the place
that fight gave me a serious run for my money.
Even though I was optimistic I'm still blown away by how well this game turned out, what a treat for RE fans.
The more open environments were a nice change of pace, the atmosphere is creepy and tense throughout and even the story is actually interesting.
Moira has grown on me and Claire is just all sorts of awesome which is a relief since I was afraid they would ruin the character.

Manu

Does Barry still say
"We got a 'hole' more options now" if you kill Pedro as Claire?

Because that line was perfection. I love Barry.

The season pass. If you bought the first episode and then purchased the season pass separately it doesn't work on ps4. PSN tries to charge you for the second episode and the in-game store in Revelations 2 does the same thing.

This is strange. I did exactly that (buying Episode 1 standalone and then the 20€ season pass) and I had no problems downloading Episode 2 for free.

Neiteio

I was thinking about why I love Revelations 2 so much and I think I've worked it out.

I absolutely adored Separate Ways. Not only because it was all about one of my favourite characters, but because I was treading familiar ground (yet during another time period). I enjoyed seeing how things had changed or piecing things together to get a better understanding of how things came to be that way.'

Yes, there were times where Ada would be in a similar area, but explore it differently (the shipyard is a good example). But it was still a calculated retread.

Revelations 2, and the nature of the two campaigns, scratches a remarkably similar itch for me.
I know you've played the entire game. What can you tell us (in roundabout, non-NDA-breaking ways) about Episode III?

Vamphuntr

Does Barry still say
"We got a 'hole' more options now" if you kill Pedro as Claire?

Because that line was perfection. I love Barry.

No
I killed him as Claire because I had no idea you could run away from it. Claire only says I'm sorry Pedro and you get an achievement. You get the drill in the Wossek instead.

SeanTSC

Lots of dips under 60 fps. Both of Barry's chapters are pretty bad in that regard dropping into the 30s regularly. If you're not seeing it, congrats, you're not sensitive to frame-rate issues. It really needs patching though.

It's really noticeable in the forest areas, but Barry seems ok indoors and the non-forest outdoor places.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ok, I started playing Ep 2: Claire in Japanese on hard, but I'm gonna start over on normal because I can't pay attention to what they're saying very well when I'm struggling to survive. Hard is... well, really hard.

One thing I noticed is that Pedro is (surprise) portrayed differently. I noticed he dropped a line about feeling like the main character in a Kafka novel when his English dialogue was him complaining. He doesn't say "balls" (obviously, as that's not really a thing in Japanese) or swear, but rather has lines like "Oh man" or "This is bad". One line I remember is this:

English:

Pedro: "Gabe abandoned us! What are we gonna do?"

Japanese:

Pedro: "Gabe still isn't here? Do you think he ran away!?"

He seemed more hesitant to jump to the conclusion that Gabe abandoned them in Japanese.

Another example of how Moira is portrayed differently:

English:

Moira: "Chill the fuck out!"

Japanese:

Moira: "Calm down! Don't give up yet!"

In English, she sounded frustrated and condescending, while in Japanese, she sounded frustrated, but then tried to calm Pedro down in a positive way.

Overall, Gabe is the same, Claire is the same, Moira is very different, Pedro is kinda different. I wish I remembered the English line equivalent for his Kafka character comment; that was definitely the most stand-out line difference.

This is true for me, too. Absolutely love retreading the familiar-yet-different territory. It's one of the best tropes in games, IMO. (See: Zelda: Link to the Past Light/Dark worlds, Separate Ways RE4, RE6 overlap segments, Rena/Claude scenarios in Star Ocean 2, etc.) It's done really well here - the best part is probably how the differing gameplay mechanics allow you to experience the same area in a new way (See:
Barry and the drill, the invisible enemies that you only encounter as Barry
, Natalia and her ability to go through small holes, Moira and her crowbar). I missed a door as Moira in Ep 2 and I didn't realize until I found it as Barry, which gives me incentive to replay the episode to see what's behind the door. Good stuff.

njean777

This is strange. I did exactly that (buying Episode 1 standalone and then the 20€ season pass) and I had no problems downloading Episode 2 for free.

I am not the only one with this problem, there is a thread on sony's support forums about this. Another person in this thread is having the same problem as me. No matter what I have done it will not let me download episode 2.

SeanTSC

I think this is the first Resident Evil game that co-op has actually adversely affected my gameplay experience. It's because that Moira/Natalia play so much differently than Claire/Barry.

I really HATED the Genesis device in Revelations 1. The idea of slowly scanning every stretch of the environment for some items really killed the pace of that game for me. I'm disappointed that they decided to transfer that over to Revelations 2 with the flashlight/pointing.

It just feels like a chore to switch between the characters so often. Though, for some reason, I enjoy playing as Natalia a lot more than Moira, probably because her sense ability is pretty useful, and they actually have enemies that require it in Episode 2. It's still kind of silly that I pretty much play as Natalia/Moira on point, despite them not having weapons, just so I can find items faster.

I just upgraded Moira's crowbar all the way after finishing Episode 2, so maybe I'll be able to get by combat sections without having to switch the Claire.

Also, final thought: why did they change Claire's voice? Alyson Court would've made this game so much cooler for me.

I too absolutely hated the shiny bullshit my first time picking up the game, but I quickly got over it. I suggest changing how you play. The shiny stuff is mostly inconsequential, usually BP items. You can ignore them if you want and finish any chapter. Hell, I'm pretty sure in Invisible Enemy and Countdown modes they're BP stuff 100% of the time (at least they were in Ep 2 on both my runs, don't remember Ep 1).

Personally, my first time through an episode I search for every single collectible and item and spot. I generally remember every single shiny spot on my second time through unless I somehow missed one. Then on my other runs I just grab what's convenient for the sake of time.

Nemesis_

I know you've played the entire game. What can you tell us (in roundabout, non-NDA-breaking ways) about Episode III?

I haven't actually signed anything but there are obvious things that are commonsense not to share.

I will be vague I guess. There's no spoilers but for people who want to go in completely blind I will spoiler tag.

• You'll explore a small area consisting of multiple buildings. A few enemies, but generally slower paced and like a mini-mansion (in terms of level design not aesthetic design)
  • There's a puzzle or two, but nothing too taxing mentally
  • One of the item puzzles references famous Greek mythology
  • If you've seen SAW III you might know what to expect from another
  • There's still another twist despite you knowing who the Overseer is now (but some posters here have already guessed it)
  • There's a fancy mutation and a big (at least, big in terms of Revelations) boss
  • Moira's backstory is very lightly touched upon (including *that* incident)
  • Co-op puzzles that I'm sure you've seen before
  • Lots of backstory for the region (in the files)
  • Smaller but still fun boss battle for Barry
  • Once again another great cliffhanger that'll leave you wanting to jump straight into Episode 4

Neiteio

Throwback dlc maps are still broken on ps4...
This is the latest ''update'':

original
Good to see they're aware the Throwback Pack isn't working.

Also, seeing that Capcom mod's avatar, my first instinct was "Minish Cap? That's a Nintendo game," but then I remembered Capcom made it.

It's like this gif, but if the hand said "Capcom made Minish Cap"

dont-touch-the-girls.gif

Neiteio

I haven't actually signed anything but there are obvious things that are commonsense not to share.

I will be vague I guess. There's no spoilers but for people who want to go in completely blind I will spoiler tag.

• You'll explore a small area consisting of multiple buildings. A few enemies, but generally slower paced and like a mini-mansion (in terms of level design not aesthetic design)
  • There's still another twist despite you knowing who the Overseer is now (but some posters here have already guessed it)
  • There's a fancy mutation and a big (at least, big in terms of Revelations) boss
  • Once again another great cliffhanger that'll leave you wanting to jump straight into Episode 4
Very nice. So you'd say Episode III delivers, huh?

I'm going to guess, based on concept art, that the bosses are
Monster Neil, in Claire's half — the "big" boss you mentioned — and the tentacle/armor mutation in Barry's half.

Neiteio

You can use revive crystals without losing the five medallions. It heals you and replenishes all your ammo, but it doesn't count as an herb. :-O

However, while you still get all five medals, they don't sparkle like when you do it legit. I used revive crystals to beat 3-6, and I have all five medals, but now I'm trying to beat it again "the proper way" so that they sparkle. :)

Cisab

sounds really cool.. Now I can't wait until next week..

Neiteio

the only time i use crystals is if im fighting a scagdead because theyre cunts and i hate them
I encountered a Shield Scagdead the other day. But I main Claire so I just chuck one of my numerous ice bottles, walk behind it, and blast its frozen ass with my shotgun.

And since I'm Claire dressed as a cowgirl I look amazing while doing so.

God damn, keep running out of ammo on the Daily Challenge =/ Even using Magnum and shooting through enemies so it hits multiple.

40/44 killed and no ammo, and no chance of knifing 4 guys to death. lol. Do not want to use a revive crystal at all.

Nemesis_

Are the Daily Challenges the same for everyone?

I encountered a Shield Scagdead the other day. But I main Claire so I just chuck one of my numerous ice bottles, walk behind it, and blast its frozen ass with my shotgun.

And since I'm Claire dressed as a cowgirl I look amazing while doing so.

Wesker is actually so amazing right now. You can use his evade cancel to pretty much negate the shit firing rate of any ridiculously powerful weapon so you're just swooshing around the arena clocking enemies left right and centre. So good.

Jharp

Is there a post in this thread that explains Raid Mode in depth?

Mainly the currency stuff. I just jumped into the game and it seems suspiciously set up for free to play nonsense. What happens if I run out of gold and want to run missions? Can I run the daily missions more than once? What's with this recharding resources shit?

Also, do the characters change progression at all? Moira can only use one weapon where I'm at, so I'm drawn to Hunk or Wesker, since they can use all four, but does playing as them hinder my progression at all?

Having a few control issues as well. Moira's charge ability didn't seem to be working for me, and I can't turn my flashlight off when it's defaulted to on (is that a campaign-only thing?), and I can't seem to get my aiming right on either my mouse or a controller. What settings are you guys using? There's both camera/aim speed, and camera/aim acceleration.

Dusk Golem

God damn, keep running out of ammo on the Daily Challenge =/ Even using Magnum and shooting through enemies so it hits multiple.

40/44 killed and no ammo, and no chance of knifing 4 guys to death. lol. Do not want to use a revive crystal at all.

Try going with a gun mastery and using that type of gun with that character. Gun Mastery's biggest buff is greatly increasing the capacity of ammo for that type of gun when using that character.

Dusk Golem

Mainly the currency stuff. I just jumped into the game and it seems suspiciously set up for free to play nonsense. What happens if I run out of gold and want to run missions? Can I run the daily missions more than once? What's with this recharding resources shit?

Also, do the characters change progression at all? Moira can only use one weapon where I'm at, so I'm drawn to Hunk or Wesker, since they can use all four, but does playing as them hinder my progression at all?

Having a few control issues as well. Moira's charge ability didn't seem to be working for me, and I can't turn my flashlight off when it's defaulted to on (is that a campaign-only thing?), and I can't seem to get my aiming right on either my mouse or a controller. What settings are you guys using? There's both camera/aim speed, and camera/aim acceleration.

I've never run out of gold, but if you did, you can play the main campaign and convert your BP into Gold. There's no F2P element.

Daily Missions can only be done once to my knowledge, if you die there's always the next day. Recharging resources means stocking up ammo, herbs, and bottles. It's thankfully a lot less expensive than the first Revelations Raid Mode.

Characters do not change progression, all the content is available to all the characters.

The last one I'll let someone else answer as I don't use Moira in Raid Mode and have no problem with the controls, but I think you may want to turn off 'fast aim' in the options.

Neiteio

It's NOT a f2p trap. Trust me. It's well-done. There are missions that don't cost any gold, so you can use them to earn gold, at no cost to yourself. The daily missions are the same (special missions that, well, change daily). You can also sell off unneeded weapons and parts. I have way more gold than I could ever spend at the moment, and I start and quit many missions since I'm always going for the five medal completion (completing the stage, at or below recommended level, with no herbs, and all enemies defeated).

The characters are very well-balanced. Moira starts out only able to use one weapon. I think she unlocks her second weapon slot at like lv. 5. So it's not long before you can equip more. But she really only needs one weapon slot, since she gets a skill that replenishes ammo with every enemy she kills. She also has the ability to knife quickly, to charge up her melee attacks, and to set smokescreen traps. She is (true to her alt costume) an "urban ninja."

As for camera controls, it took me a while to find the right combination, but this is perfect for me (on PS4, using controller): Inverted, Inverted, 3, 3, Standard, Standard. Going off memory, but I believe that's what I use.

Nemesis_

Some of these parts you can get for your weapons are ridiculous. The one that recovers your health with each kill is crazy ;_;

Dr Dogg

I've only got shitty parts like reduces spread or 5% extra damage :(

Saying that by the time Online Raid Mode Coop is out I'd imagine everyone is going to be pretty well leveled and stocked up. Hope there's some ridiculously challenging maps and levels later on.

Nemesis_

actually DECEASED at the fact the entirety of RE6 appears to be in Raid Mode. Jesus Capcom. Where is Public Assembly?

Edit: Just unlocked "Ability to expand toolbox" at 315 Medallions

Top Bottom