• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Costume spoilers:
RE2 Claire and S.T.A.R.S. Barry are unlockable costumes for the campaign and Raid. Unlocked for campaign by completing the game, and then purchasable from the shop, you unlock them for Raid through another method.

Seyavesh

Can't upgrade, that kinda sucks.

if it's like REV1 then it stacks with the damage and crit parts too, making it really good

hopefully the BSAA or FBC mods are in too 'cuz whichever one was the one that added a huge amount of short range damage could be stacked with the short range+ mod for insane results

Manu

You haven't seen anything yet

What about invisible
mutated pedros

or small tight hallways filled with glasps ._.

jonah.jpg

benzy

Costume spoilers:
RE2 Claire and S.T.A.R.S. Barry are unlockable costumes for the campaign and Raid. Unlocked for campaign by completing the game, and then purchasable from the shop, you unlock them for Raid through another method.

Any pics of Claire's?

foxdvd

What's everyones mains and level so far? I've got Claire up to 43.

Barry is 47..and hunk is 40. I have everyone else at 10 or higher outside the two new characters. I sort of like some of the passive skills on other characters so I want to work on them so I can level them up for the team.

Grisby

"Jake reloaded his Beretta, wiping dusty sweat from his brow as they moved forward. Their eyes darted back and forth, searching for enemies in the wan moonlight.

But Jake thought that maybe, just maybe, he caught Sherry glancing his way as well."

Just need a publisher, guys. If EL James can do it, I can too.
zHBUn.gif

Wow but those Retro skins

Amazing.
Now that is an unlockable costume idea. Awesome.
umm so i just encountered invisible
scagdeads
too

iE68AdHLxbHja.gif
1dsaEj3.gif

What's everyones mains and level so far? I've got Claire up to 43.
45 I think for Claire too. I'm also leveling Gina on the side. I wish they had more unique melees though. Hunk, Jill, etc get their own, :/

I'd use Jill but I played with her avatar so much in original RER raid.

What would cause intermittent microstuttering in the PC version? I'm running Win7 x64, 24 gigs of DDR3 and an Radeon R9 280X. Is this just bad design or is it already time for an upgrade?

Also, is there any way to combine that extra mode's gun upgrades? IE; LVL 1 + LVL 1 = LVL 2? I thought I saw this mentioned as an on-screen tip, but perhaps I just misread it..I can't figure out how to do it.

KarmaCow

Is the extra storage DLC in the $40 pack worthwhile? Seems like it adds a lot of storage space, too much even. Every time I see this thread, I'm tempted to pick up the first episode to try out.

I realize now that I am completely satisfied with my purchase for:

1. Barry's sections for Barry (kind of wish I could just play his alone)
2. Raid Mode

Online co-op in Raid should be fun. What is the best way to level another character?...seems like a slog. Also why do some Campaigns have rankings but others do not? Ranked against what? It says I am in 1st but there is no way that can be correct.

Here is where I am at with this game, it's interesting and good but falls short in so many areas that clearly could have been helped with a larger budget. This is the worst handling RE in years, I don't mean the controls themselves I mean how the action feels. Even REv1 with its terrible enemies at least felt like RE4/5, this feels like a cheap shooter. The action is clearly mowhere near as good as any of the action RE games but the changing in gameplay situations really helps this game stay interesting.

I loved Barry's episode 2 simply cause of how inventive the enemies and situations were. Plus the boss battle with the chainsaw guy was classic RE4 level battle with a clearly defined strategy you can use, very well done. If the game can come up with scenarios like that consistently it could be really great. But to me segments in Claire's episode like the bar assault just reminds me how much better this was done in all the other newer RE games.

The bland environments are not helping much either, everything is brown, I can't tell one location from another usually. The graphics are terrible, the village area looked like something out of a generic dreamcast horror game. Also I don't like how the back to back episodes have you kind of replaying the same areas in reverse. The first revelations at least had a unique location that had personality, that was a fully explorable map, with locked doors and keys. To me that game handled the game world so much better, also it was incredible for a 3DS game graphically. It felt like it fit into the main RE games, this feels like a side game.

I see massive praise for the story,
believe me when Alex Wesker was shown I went nuts, but that just tells me one thing, Wesker is by far and away the best thing about RE and getting rid of him was idiotic. The story in Rev2 till that reveal was terrible, what the hell was with Claire's cast of rejects, horrible characters I wanted all dead. Nothing at all has happens in the story until the last minute of this episode. But one mention of wesker and "'holy shit best RE story since ever!!!!!!!"

Revelations 2 is a collection of interesting ideas that is kind of disjointed. The release of the game is disjointed, I feel like finishing the episode is just the start so then you can access all the other modes. Timed mode, invisible mode all brilliant. There is so much to do in this game, I feel that stuff is far better than the campaign proper.

Then there is raid mode which too me is kind of a disappointment. What made raid mode in Rev 1 so special was that you played through the entire game but the game was now remixed into this wild loot game gauntlet. Levels still had you explore the boat, they were not arenas, it felt like a campaign. Raid 2 is more like that bad mercenaries 3DS game. Instead of playing through the game or having levels with some exploration you get arenas. arenas where you have to kill a certain amount of enemies. It is more a mercs kind of setup but without any of the good gameplay. Most of the maps have me running at enemies to kill them. And yes many hours in you get all sorts of crazy enemies and that makes it worth playing but it takes way too long to get to the good stuff. And I really miss the way it was structured in Raid 1.

So far it's good, that's it, not special. The amount of content for the price is ridiculous, well worth it for all RE fans. If this game's mechanics felt like RE5 or even RE6 it could have been great, instead it feels like a average generic shooter. Plus it has NONE of the elements of old RE, at least Rev1 attempted to do keys and puzzles, this game is back to all action, but the action is not that great.

Astral Dog

Here is where I am at with this game, it's interesting and good but falls short in so many areas that clearly could have been helped with a larger budget. This is the worst handling RE in years, I don't mean the controls themselves I mean how the action feels. Even REv1 with its terrible enemies at least felt like RE4/5, this feels like a cheap shooter. The action is clearly mowhere near as good as any of the action RE games but the changing in gameplay situations really helps this game stay interesting.

I loved Barry's episode 2 simply cause of how inventive the enemies and situations were. Plus the boss battle with the chainsaw guy was classic RE4 level battle with a clearly defined strategy you can use, very well done. If the game can come up with scenarios like that consistently it could be really great. But to me segments in Claire's episode like the bar assault just reminds me how much better this was done in all the other newer RE games.

The bland environments are not helping much either, everything is brown, I can't tell one location from another usually. The graphics are terrible, the village area looked like something out of a generic dreamcast horror game. Also I don't like how the back to back episodes have you kind of replaying the same areas in reverse. The first revelations at least had a unique location that had personality, that was a fully explorable map, with locked doors and keys. To me that game handled the game world so much better, also it was incredible for a 3DS game graphically. It felt like it fit into the main RE games, this feels like a side game.

believe me when Alex Wesker was shown I went nuts, but that just tells me one thing, Wesker is by far and away the best thing about RE and getting rid of him was idiotic. The story in Rev2 till that reveal was terrible, what the hell was with Claire's cast of rejects, horrible characters I wanted all dead. Nothing at all has happens in the story until the last minute of this episode. But one mention of wesker and "'holy shit best RE story since ever!!!!!!!"

Revelations 2 is a collection of interesting ideas that is kind of disjointed. The release of the game is disjointed, I feel like finishing the episode is just the start so then you can access all the other modes. Timed mode, invisible mode all brilliant. There is so much to do in this game, I feel that stuff is far better than the campaign proper.

Then there is raid mode which too me is kind of a disappointment. What made raid mode in Rev 1 so special was that you played through the entire game but the game was now remixed into this wild loot game gauntlet. Levels still had you explore the boat, they were not arenas, it felt like a campaign. Raid 2 is more like that bad mercenaries 3DS game. Instead of playing through the game or having levels with some exploration you get arenas. arenas where you have to kill a certain amount of enemies. It is more a mercs kind of setup but without any of the good gameplay. Most of the maps have me running at enemies to kill them. And yes many hours in you get all sorts of crazy enemies and that makes it worth playing but it takes way too long to get to the good stuff. And I really miss the way it was structured in Raid 1.

So far it's good, that's it, not special. The amount of content for the price is ridiculous, well worth it for all RE fans. If this game's mechanics felt like RE5 or even RE6 it could have been great, instead it feels like a average generic shooter. Plus it has NONE of the elements of old RE, at least Rev1 attempted to do keys and puzzles, this game is back to all action, but the action is not that great.
Well i haven't played it yet until retail, i can see where are you coming from, a larget budget would benefit this game alot, but at the same time they would make it less horror to be less of a risk. so people enjoying this game atmosphere wouldn't feel the same if it was a bigger game, unfortunately.
Im surprised you are saying that about the controls and action, most impressions are that they are better than Revelations, even if not as good as RE4,5 or 6.

Environments are an issue because they do feel less diverse than in other RE games, but for a low budget game they are ok,
Spooky, drab, dark, that is something that the news games lacked for awhile, i know they can be better but this seems to be the theme of the "Revelation" series.

What you are saying about the old elements of REV1 was how i felt they were handled in that game,in a very shallow way, its a shame REV 2 doesn't do anything more with them so far but its possible there will be more puzzles on the next episode.

While it was probably a mistake to get rid of Wesker, he was getting old, i just wish he was done in a better way than RE5,but don't want the RE series to be defined by him anymore, he had his time to shine, Alex is (probably) different enough from Wesker so far, hopefully she can stand on her own as it would be a shame if they didn't do anything interesting with her. she is more of a remnant of the Spencer legacy than Wesker though.

Nemesis_

I don't know how someone can enjoy REV1 but not enjoy REV2 but I will say that these "puzzles" you ask of (as in, the ones that REV1 played around with) will be there in Episodes 3 and 4.

Jharp

Still having some control issues that might not actually be issues:

Moira's passive melee charge ability doesn't work for me. The tooltip says to hold right trigger, but doing so just causes her to do her melee attack over and over again, never actually charging it up. Am I doing something wrong here?

Also can't turn my flash light on or off at will, where the control menu says it's done by clicking the right stick. So far I've only played raid mode, so perhaps it's a campaign only thing and raid mode has a default setting?

jediyoshi

Moira's passive melee charge ability doesn't work for me. The tooltip says to hold right trigger, but doing so just causes her to do her melee attack over and over again, never actually charging it up. Am I doing something wrong here?

It's only a charge up for the stunned melee attack (when you get the prompt).

Seyavesh

to think we got such weird lame costumes instead of at least another neat reference like a callback to the redfield trademark "made in heaven" thing

though now that i actually can see a clear version of that logo it's pretty bizarre too

6gpGaQr.png

Neiteio

Nemesis_

Oh no. What did you find out??

There probably isn't a follow up.

In other depressing news I just spent 1000000 gold on a part upgrade. I didn't realise it cost that much and just clicked through all of them to merge / combine them and yeah, it hits me back with a SORRY NOT ENOUGH GOLD

actually depressed

http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/3699/re2-classic-claire-rodeo-costume

Just installed this and looks great. Only downside is you HAVE to have the Rodeo DLC.

Finally Claire looking correct.

OMG! This is exactly what I wanted. Awesome!

I don't know how someone can enjoy REV1 but not enjoy REV2 but I will say that these "puzzles" you ask of (as in, the ones that REV1 played around with) will be there in Episodes 3 and 4.

Should be a nice change of pace. Good to hear.

I love this. Have the hackers been able to figure out how this costume will be unlocked?

Claire has quite a few outfits so far, between her default, rodeo outfit, RE2 outfit, TerraSave outfit, and red-and-black attire with short hair.

I wonder if there will be even more beyond those five.

We'll probably need to spend ages in Raid Mode, it's a good thing we can unlock them through mods.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

I pretty much disagree with all of this, at least regarding the campaign. The TerraSave cast is great and full of personality, and the environments are the best since RE4. The fishing village, the woods, and the dilapidated town (especially while raining in Barry's scenario) are interesting places to go and are designed to look just the right amount of creepy without going over the top. Everything might be "brown"ish, but the dark and drab atmosphere is a stylistic choice meant to make the island feel more oppressive. Now, there is a lot of down time walking around, but that's what makes it scary. And enemies have certain triggers, so you can walk by one area, deem it safe, and walk by it again and BAM! There's a guy.
One that really got me was in the fishing village. You walk by a fence and nothing happens, then you walk by it again after getting the battery or the can of fuel and an Iron Head shows up behind the fence. Spooked the hell out of me.
The enemy music is unnerving, too. Yes, the action might be toned down a bit, but not knowing when it's going to occur and the sometimes large spaces of time between it add to the horror element by creating a sense of the unknown.

I do agree with you about raid mode - it was more fun in the first game. Better, more diverse cast from a gameplay perspective, more tightly designed, more fun from the start.

Yeah, despite improvements, Raid Mode is overall a disappointment for me. Seeing how many silly decisions they made in Mercs 3D, guess it's TOSE working their magic again :/

Back to looking for alternate ways for EP3 and EP4 to play. Nemesis or someone else with access to all eps, can you confirm nothing here is influenced by collectibles?
Because that one very depressing scenario just doesn't change no matter what I do

News Bot

Banned
The Russian radio broadcast in Episode Two has been mostly translated. It's essentially a retelling of Damnation's prologue, and thus places Claire's chapters in REV2 before Damnation, while Leon is on vacation.

Currently in [gunfire] there is a civil war going on. According to eyewitnesses there is suspicion that there are possible biological agents or B.O.W. being used in the conflict. We repeat the last news for this time.

The independence movement has been gathering support in the Eastern Slav Republic. The reason was the social strategization of the community and economic growth. The president of the ESR, Svetlana Belikova, successfully finished the negotiations with the opposition, but the ceasefire proved to be short.

[10:41 is the shotgun grab, making the sentence impossible to understand.]

....broke the rules of the ceasefire and announced that the indepence movement was a 'terrorist group'. The leader of this movement, Ivan Judanovich, announced that the government of the ESR broke the ceasefire because they found mineral resources in the 'autonomous region'. 'We are ready for armed conflict', he added, 'until the end.'

Basically mirrors Damnation's prologue:

After intense fighting lasting several years, the first female President, Svetlana, offered a cease-fire to the rebels. This too did not last long. In November 2010, the government discovered useful resources in the rebel's land and government forces reopened their attacks, declaring a "War on Terror." As they continued to dwindle in the face of savage attacks, the rebel's tactics became increasingly radical, and another bizarre rumor quickly spread among the people. "Monsters in battle." In February 2011, the rumor reached the old city of Holigrad, a few kilometers from the presidential palace, an important government base."

Top Bottom