• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

AdaWong

I feel like split screen co op campaign would suck for the player that uses the secondary character :/

It's hideous.

One player can literally do nothing but shoot sons of bitches.
The other explores and searches for items.

So, when there ARE enemies, the person controlling the second character is bored because their character cant do shit. And when there AREN'T enemies, the player with the firearms literally just waits for the second character to finish their exploration so they can proceed to the next part where there are enemies.

And it gets WORSE in the Barry parts. The player controlling Natalia is a downgraded Moira, since her brick can't do shit and the fact that you need to find a new one everytime you use it. In addition, you have to look for enemies' weak points, tell your partner of them and then hide until your partner finishes. Rinse and repeat.

At least it's not too bad in this chapter since the puzzles for the most part must be accomplished using the two characters.

Question about Claire's boss fight:

When Neil it squishing Claire and she drops her gun it was telling me to switch characters so I was trying to get to the gun with Moira, but then he started choking her so I went back to Claire and mashed X and Claire ended up killing him. Would it have been possible to get to the gun as Moira?

edit: Just saw this was answered on the page back,
damn it! Wish I had done it that way, oh well not like I won't replay it before 4 is out.

Seyavesh

so hey

episode 3

this is a good game.
god damnit i wish it had a real budget now.

it's not a great game but most (if not all) of it's shortcomings are very clearly budget/timing or console limitations (vita).
this game has got me really wondering what on earth RE7 is gonna be now

Hugstable

Banned
Is it just me or did Claire's section in this episode seem alot longer than all the other sections in the game so far? Took me 2 hours an 10 minutes, and I didn't get stuck all that much. Just seemed like it lasted quite a bit, it was amazing in every way.

The end portions did get a bit of a hit framerate wise on the PS4 though, with one section in particular being really really bad.

ciD_Vain

It's hideous.

So, when there ARE enemies, the person controlling the second character is bored because their character cant do shit. And when there AREN'T enemies, the player with the firearms literally just waits for the second character to finish their exploration so they can proceed to the next part where there are enemies.

And it gets WORSE in the Barry parts. The player controlling Natalia is a downgraded Moira, since her brick can't do shit and the fact that you need to find a new one everytime you use it. In addition, you have to look for enemies' weak points, tell your partner of them and then hide until your partner finishes. Rinse and repeat.

At least it's not too bad in this chapter since the puzzles for the most part must be accomplished using the two characters.
That's sounds really disappointing... :/ I was really looking to an awesome co-op experience with my friend.

Chris_IWS

Bought episode 1 on PC to give the game a try, learned the hard way that the game won't update any graphics settings (except V-sync) until you leave the game and return.

Will sink some more time into it tomorrow now that things are running at a decent framerate.

This was a big oversight for the PC version. Afaik, you had to go in-game before you could change any graphics settings.

Reebot

Alright, beat episode 3 now. Had a brief stumble I mentioned earlier but overall this one knocked it out of the park.

Capcom, give this team a bundle of money - preferably in a large burlap sack - and let them make RE 7. They know how to do it.

kiryogi

Banned
That's sounds really disappointing... :/ I was really looking to an awesome co-op experience with my friend.

I didn't think it was that bad personally, and I got to play as Moira and Natalia, he's exaggerating the uselessness a bit. The second character can do things. As Moira, you can use your flashlight to stun enemies, you also have access to a crowbar. It's a pretty good means of conserving ammo. Stun with Moira, go in with a melee with Claire, and then do a ground finisher with Moira w/ the Crowbar. Useless? I think not, given it's a bit of rinse and repeat. Moira can also be used as bait too to give Claire an opening.

Meanwhile with Natalia, she's definitely not as useful, but doesn't mean she can't do anything. She can shove off enemies that have grappled onto Barry, and the bricks she pick up actually stun enemies too, again, giving the other player an opening to wail on the enemy.

I thought it was a decent coop experience so far and I appreciate Capcom taking this approach of more helplessness and horror versus going guns ablazin' like in 5/6.

Neiteio

On mobile, just finished Episode 3. FANTASTIC. Had to use my brain more in Episode 3 (both Barry and Claire) than the entirety of RE4, 5 and 6 combined. Which isn't much, but just goes to show what a nice return to form the puzzles are here. And while Claire's side deserves all the hype, I think Barry's side was also excellent. Great asymmetrical gameplay in the sewers, followed by the conveyor belt/block platform puzzles of the quarry -- the latter a hauntingly beautiful setting, with a great new enemy. I have so many thoughts, but basically, this game is amazing.

For each episode, do all medals need to be obtained in a single playthrough?

No, they save whichever medals you have found and shot, on subsequent playthroughs those medals would be white signifying that you already got it.

Same for any other collectibles, you can go back to get whichever you've missed whenever you want. But you have to playthrough the whole chapter I think?

Capcom, give this team a bundle of money - preferably in a large burlap sack - and let them make RE 7. They know how to do it.

Yeah, who is this team that blown away everyone's expectations @_@ ? I didn't know they still had anyone to rely on for RE.

I just finished Claire's section in ep.3 and I have the same sentiments as everyone else. Sure this game has its flaws but I never expected it to be this good.

Chap 3 Claire section spoilers
I honestly didn't think Claire's segment would be that long, I thought it was going to end after the escape segment in the slaughterhouse where everything is exploding.

Chap 3 Claire side puzzle question
In the sewers there's a ledge you can boost Moira up to, on the ledge there's a movable hollow crate. The thing is after you lower the crate on the lower ledge there's nothing I can do with it because of the water. On the other side of that area there's a elevated section with some crates and a custom parts box. Is there any way to move the box across the water to reach that section?

It's hideous.

We haven't tried splitscreen yet but wouldn't Invisible mode be better in coop, requiring coordination and all?

I don't like playing as Natalia but in single player, I have actually been playing as Moira, she's not completely useless.
On paper at least, I like the idea of playing with complementary characters rather than having two clones who shoot stuff.

Mr_Zombie

It's hideous.

I disagree. I was playing Episode 1 and 2 with a friend (both she and I were playing the game for the first time) and we both had fun. Moira's crowbar can be pretty powerful against enemies, and her flashlight is really helpful, especially in tight situations. It was a little bit worse with Natalia (we had a great laugh with her "pointing" mechanics) but when I was running out of ammo, we used Natalia as a bait to lure enemies away from Barry. And no, her bricks aren't really that weak (at least on Normal difficulty) - she can even kill enemies with them.

Exploration/puzzle parts weren't bad either. There were only few instances in Barry's scenario where Barry had literally nothing to do for few minutes while Natalia was on her quest. I don't remember such situations in Claire's scenario (or at least they didn't last that long to be annoying).

Neiteio

Claire's boss fight in Episode 3 will be awesome in co-op.

Chap 3 Claire side puzzle question
In the sewers there's a ledge you can boost Moira up to, on the ledge there's a movable hollow crate. The thing is after you lower the crate on the lower ledge there's nothing I can do with it because of the water. On the other side of that area there's a elevated section with some crates and a custom parts box. Is there any way to move the box across the water to reach that section?
Barry

On paper at least, I like the idea of playing with complementary characters rather than having two clones who shoot stuff.

After playing 2 episodes I can say that the asymmetry skill set is definitely the way to go, you'll have a harder time designing around it but it's definitely better than just an extra gun.

Lernaean

Banned
I have so many thoughts, but basically, this game is amazing.

Haven't played ep3 yet, as I'm still at work, but i agree. The game is increasingly more interesting and the return to form is welcome. It seems that so far, and with one episode left, this game is a triumph. It isn't excellent, but it's possibly the best RE experience in years.
I hope Capcom offers the same quality of RE, running on Panta Rhei, with a much bigger budget for RE7.
I also hope the Rev2 team gets the credit they deserve and that Capcom understands that they managed to fix many problems with the series and learn from that.

Downloading now. What's this I hear about good puzzles? This game just keeps getting better and better.

Haven't played ep3 yet, as I'm still at work, but i agree. The game is increasingly more interesting and the return to form is welcome. It seems that so far, and with one episode left, this game is a triumph. It isn't excellent, but it's possibly the best RE experience in years.
I hope Capcom offers the same quality of RE, running on Panta Rhei, with a much bigger budget for RE7.
I also hope the Rev2 team gets the credit they deserve and that Capcom understands that they managed to fix many problems with the series and learn from that.

RE7 will probably be more of RE6, I hope not but it's what I'm expecting. At least we can hope for a Revelations 3.
I wish they'd take RE6's fantastic gameplay into a new franchise and let the Rev2 team do RE7 in the same style.

BBboy20

Was not aware the retail version was coming out next week and since I feel rather unsafe browsing this thread now, what has been the general feedback with the recent episodes?

ArjanN

Some episode 3 thoughts:

- I'm not sure if Capcom thinks Vulcanblubber are supposed to be difficult enemies, because they're not.

I haven't played episode 3 yet, but the one in episode 2 was definitely hard on the highest difficulty.
Of course that might be because there's also 4 hammer guys, and several normal enemies, and Vulcanblubber already required all the ammo I had on me at the time.

Lernaean

Banned
RE7 will probably be more of RE6, I hope not but it's what I'm expecting. At least we can hope for a Revelations 3.
I wish they'd take RE6's fantastic gameplay into a new franchise and let the Rev2 team do RE7 in the same style.

RE6's admittedly fantastic gameplay could be great in future RE if reworked. If there was a problem with 6, was the lack of atmosphere and the total neglect of puzzles, something that Rev2 offers in spades. I think a mix of the two would work great on a main entry.

Dr Dogg

So that first puzzle in Claire's chapter
the spiked roof trap room
, acting like a cocky so and so I thought 'it's alright this statue will save me and Moria from certain death' then it shattered into pieces 'Help!'. It's good to have puzzles other than 'collect the keys' back.

Seyavesh

haha, chris's skill spread is absolutely fucking bizarre

he has two skill slots until level 55 or something and like half of his skills are related to him being able to survive as long as possible.
between taking less damage, a shield, magic pixel, all 3 herb abilities and health increase

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Episode 3 continues the game's tradition to impress. If the next episode can meet or succeed the previous three episodes, this will be a very solid RE game, and will beat Dead Aim as my current favorite spin-off RE title. Though of course, still got the two bonus episodes to look forward too, as well as the stuff upcoming in Raid Mode.

The instructions for finding the
third grave in the grave puzzle
really stunk.

I don't disagree, I got it eventually and see what they were TRYING to say, but the wording for it was really bad and I think they said it backwards of what they meant (saying a row back when it really should of been a row forward because thanks to the second one you establish what's the forward and the back.

Though I did like the little puzzle and the reward it gives you.

jediyoshi

The character models are actually pretty great.

Maybe if you're only paying attention to the main cast. In general, they're actually pretty awful. Definitely the worst stuff stuck into an RE game since RE5 and anything older gets a pass in fidelity because of age at this point. All the incidental characters are completely, visually forgettable and look like they came out of one of those royalty free character generators.

EnZJxEX.png

Mr_Zombie

Maybe if you're only paying attention to the main cast. In general, they're actually pretty awful. Definitely the worst stuff stuck into an RE game since RE5 and anything older gets a pass in fidelity because of age at this point. All the incidental characters are completely, visually forgettable and look like they came out of one of those royalty free character generators.

I agree. When I saw NPCs in Claire's episode 2 I was really surprised at how bad they were. And I'm not only talking about character models and/or textures, but the design in general. This is such a huge step down from Revelations, where while some character designs were questionable (Reachel, Raymond) they actually look like someone put work into them, designed them to make them look memorable. Non-main characters in Rev2 look just bland, like pedestrians you would see in a GTA game.

It broke my heart when I saw that they occupy character spots in the Raid mode. :(

On mobile, just finished Episode 3. FANTASTIC. Had to use my brain more in Episode 3 (both Barry and Claire) than the entirety of RE4, 5 and 6 combined. Which isn't much, but just goes to show what a nice return to form the puzzles are here. And while Claire's side deserves all the hype, I think Barry's side was also excellent. Great asymmetrical gameplay in the sewers, followed by the conveyor belt/block platform puzzles of the quarry -- the latter a hauntingly beautiful setting, with a great new enemy. I have so many thoughts, but basically, this game is amazing.

Great to hear, a bit more puzzles was about the only thing I was missing in the first two episodes.

OK, I don't usually lose my temper because of games but that box with the 4 locks in the room with the fire made me lose it.
First I died several times because when I got to the gates I didn't realize I could continue to the right and kept trying to open the gates. Then when I figured it out I actually manged to open the box with time to spare on my first try but then I realized Moira's inventory was full...
Then I tried a few more times (always giving an item to Claire to make inventory space) and ran out of time, then when I managed to open it again I realized I forgot to give Claire and item... I had never forgotten on the previous attempts...
Then I made it through but damn, I actually punched my desk and got a blue screen on my PC. Fist time I ever did that.

Anyway, I stopped after that part but Claire's part still isn't over, I'm surprised by how long it is. Loving this episode and the more I play the more amazed I am by how great this game is.
To think I got it for 14 euros at nuuvem...

WITHE1982

I can't believe I died about 4827 times and somehow managed to do that section with minimal ammo + melee!

There's not enough :| in the world to sum up these feels.

Same here. Me and my wife were playing co-op and didn't notice
the huge flamethrower slap bang in the middle of the room
so cleared everyone out using pretty much all my shotgun ammo.

We did get a trophy for it though so it wasn't all bad. This game is so much fun in co-op it's insane.

Did anyone else get a glitch (episode 3 Claire section)
where the meat from the conveyor belt didn't fall into the meat grinder and was just stuck mid-air?
Had to reload the checkpoint.

Jawmuncher

EnZJxEX.png

Those 3 will never be seen again and nor will anyone care.

Mr_Zombie

Same here. Me and my wife were playing co-op and didn't notice
the huge flamethrower slap bang in the middle of the room
so cleared everyone out using pretty much all my shotgun ammo.

We did get a trophy for it though so it wasn't all bad. This game is so much fun in co-op it's insane.

At that point in the game I had like 3 shotgun shells and 5 pistol ammo. Before my friend and I finally cleared the room using the flamethrower we died like dozen of times (usually because of me - Claire - stepping into the flame or into that death trap :p).

EnZJxEX.png

Amen, sister.

dellingr

EnZJxEX.png

The concept art for the guys seemed a lot better. I don't know why they made them look so different in the final game.

News Bot

Banned
Barry is just... It's like they're trying to make him funny and cheesy but it's not working for me. He is extremely serious one second then completely fucking retarded the next. At least Moira is consistent with her shitty dialouge even in dramatic and serious situations (Jump on a dildo..)[/spoiler]

The translators/English writers don't do very well with consistency, whether it be characterization or story. For Barry in particular they've tried to introduce as much cheese as possible to harken back to BIO1's bad translation. There are a few instances where it's great and genuinely humorous but they went too far with it, so Barry just feels forced. Not that most people will care.

Dr Dogg

Well just finished Barry's chapter. Not that tantalising of a clifhanger this time, preview looked like next weeks instalment is going to take in a lot. Took slightly longer this week too at just under an hour a piece. Hoping there's a good pay off to the final chapter but nonetheless despite having my expectations in check for Revelations 2 I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying it so far. Plus that feeling of having both something to look forward to the next week and the expectation of how each episode will pan out has added to the experience for me.

OK, I don't usually lose my temper because of games but that box with the 4 locks in the room with the fire made me lose it.
First I died several times because when I got to the gates I didn't realize I could continue to the right and kept trying to open the gates. Then when I figured it out I actually manged to open the box with time to spare on my first try but then I realized Moira's inventory was full...
Then I tried a few more times (always giving an item to Claire to make inventory space) and ran out of time, then when I managed to open it again I realized I forgot to give Claire and item... I had never forgotten on the previous attempts...
Then I made it through but damn, I actually punched my desk and got a blue screen on my PC. Fist time I ever did that.

Anyway, I stopped after that part but Claire's part still isn't over, I'm surprised by how long it is. Loving this episode and the more I play the more amazed I am by how great this game is.
To think I got it for 14 euros at nuuvem...
You could have just discarded an item in your inventory to make room.

LeonSPBR

Just finished Claire part in chap 3 and it was awesome. Loving this game more with each chapter that they release.

And if you pick
Moira in the end of chap 3 it will shows with flashbacks why she hates guns. And you'll get a nice silver trophy

Top Bottom