• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

I actually like RE5(2nd favorite after the RE1s)RE6 and REV1 but holy shit this game kinda makes them look kinda bland by comparison.
Definitely making the early portions of RE5 look bad.

Am I the only one that actually like Moira alot?
Her dialog is a little more suited to a teen-ager but im really liking her besides that.

The translators/English writers don't do very well with consistency, whether it be characterization or story. For Barry in particular they've tried to introduce as much cheese as possible to harken back to BIO1's bad translation. There are a few instances where it's great and genuinely humorous but they went too far with it, so Barry just feels forced. Not that most people will care.

Eh, im really enjoying Barry a lot.
Never been a big fan besides his classic cheese lines but this works him into an enjoyable main character that isn't just a caricature like the original.

So did anyone else get a chuckle when the first thing you heard after the "previously on revelations 2" for ep3 was

Mother of balls!! My life is awesome
:p

Gren

I thought I'd hate Moira, but I like her a lot too. She & her dad are like Parker & Jessica in Rev 1; they all lighten the mood a bit when compared to the stoic, straight-arrow characters like Jill, Chris, Claire, etc.

Manu

Wait, what
love story
? I haven't played it yet.

Isn't writing
"love story"
a spoiler by itself?

joe2187

Banned
story talk:
Bit bummed about Neil's betrayal. Him and Claire would've been a cute couple.

Nah.
It was extremely obvious that Neil was a heel from the very beginning. The names in his folder being the biggest clue. He was a douche.

Seyavesh

Wait, what
love story
? I haven't played it yet.

Isn't writing
"love story"
a spoiler by itself?

some people are really bad about spoilers in this thread. some guy posted a bunch of unmarked spoilers at the bottom of a page and i ended up reading all of em just scrolling through
like ffs don't fucking do WINK WINK NOD NOD shit or whatever just put a goddamn spoiler tag on the thing

on the actual topic:
it was so obvious that neil was a villain that it even got lampshaded by moira right before the fight. like 'cmon his dang bracelet was green he's obviously evil'.

As someone not well-versed in the RE canon, I think the writing in this game is pretty good (and the VA, Barry's delivery is amazing). The cheese makes the characters likable enough so that when bad things happen to them you actually feel like, emotions and stuff. Plus Claire/Moira and Barry/Natalia work really well together.

I can't stop thinking of how great this game feels, and I think it owes that in part to it's episodic release. I think I would had never played it if it was released just as standalone game. It has to be the anticipation, it just feels great. Bummer is over next week.

Neiteio

I can't stop thinking of how great this game feels, and I think it owes that in part to it's episodic release. I think I would had never played it if it was released just as standalone game. It has to be the anticipation, it just feels great. Bummer is over next week.
The episodic structure also helps you to better appreciate each part of the game. I play each episode three times before the next episode comes out.

Kuraudo

Banned
Claire's episode 3 was so good that, as soon as I finished it, I went and played it again instead of starting Barry's.

This game is phenomenal.

tomasdk

The game is awesome, one of my favorite in the series. The only disappointing thing so far is that 99% of Raid stages are RE6 maps, atleast in the first 5 Gauntlets. Did not have yet the chance to play VI and VII but I'm losing hope. I was under the impression that they were supposed to be a mix from various games and I especially expected Rev2 maps but I only saw like 2 or 3 so far?
With that said, I can't wait for next week for the big finale.

Just got the Drake Shotgun.
WTF they ruined it, it needs that one handed shooting animation.

The episodes are actually developed well and structured,
I don't think you could break REV1 down by its episodes and have satisfactory episodes like we are getting here.

Kuraudo

Banned
Also, while the allusions to Kafka have been quite shallow so far, the reference to
Prometheus in this episode was surprisingly clever in how it foreshadows the revelation that Neil is trying to acquire Uroboros and is ultimately punished for it.
It's not the best writing in the world, but it's a layer of depth that I really wouldn't have expected from this series.

Neiteio

Also, while the allusions to Kafka have been quite shallow so far, the reference to
Prometheus in this episode was surprisingly clever in how it foreshadows the revelation that Neil is trying to acquire Uroboros and is ultimately punished for it.
It's not the best writing in the world, but it's a layer of depth that I really wouldn't have expected from this series.
In the grand scheme of videogames, the use of literary allusions here are a cut above most. Especially in this genre (action horror). Which isn't saying much, but it's certainly a touch I appreciate.

In addition to Kafka for thematic motifs, I notice the game seems to be channeling Chernobyl as a point of inspiration for the setting, and even drawing upon Russian folklore for the villain (as depicted in Barry's timeline).
Alex Wesker
looks and acts like the Baba Yaga.

Whats with my personal score only being shown on a few gauntlets?
I was in 2nd(of friends) on all with Jill but now the pic of Jill and my total medals only show on a few.

SeanTSC

It's hideous.

One player can literally do nothing but shoot sons of bitches.
The other explores and searches for items.

So, when there ARE enemies, the person controlling the second character is bored because their character cant do shit. And when there AREN'T enemies, the player with the firearms literally just waits for the second character to finish their exploration so they can proceed to the next part where there are enemies.

And it gets WORSE in the Barry parts. The player controlling Natalia is a downgraded Moira, since her brick can't do shit and the fact that you need to find a new one everytime you use it. In addition, you have to look for enemies' weak points, tell your partner of them and then hide until your partner finishes. Rinse and repeat.

At least it's not too bad in this chapter since the puzzles for the most part must be accomplished using the two characters.

Upgrade the Bricks and Crowbar in the skills trees. Moire and Natalia can wreck shit then. I've one-shot enemies on Survival with both of them and good aim.

Just an FYI, check closely before selling parts.
almost didn't evaluate a regular looking part(basically a circle) but decided to anyway, ended up being BSAA parts.

Ep 3 Barry question

In the sewers there's an assault rifle behind a grate, I've got the box to drag over to the platform but where the hell is the valve to open it?

Ep 3 Barry question

In the sewers there's an assault rifle behind a grate, I've got the box to drag over to the platform but where the hell is the valve to open it?

In Claire's part when you get past the old man, you should see a waterfall. Behind that waterfall there is some stuff you can climb up which leads to a valve that opens the gate.

Neiteio

Just an FYI, check closely before selling parts.
almost didn't evaluate a regular looking part(basically a circle) but decided to anyway, ended up being BSAA parts.
I just evaluate every part I get. You always have plenty of gold, and all low-level parts can be combined with the toolbox into valuable high-level parts.

tesqui

Just beat ep 3 and I liked claire's part for it's puzzles, but I overall enjoyed barry's bit more.

I'm so happy Capcom has finally found it's way with resident evil. That is until/ if they fuck it up again with re7.

Just beat Claire's episode.
Could not beat it until I made use of EVERY crate fire and shot with complete accuracy or else I would just plain run out of ammo and have nothing else to fight with. Also did not expect the two-part aftermath at all and there's so much classic dialogue there to add to RE history haha.

And I love the short talk between Barry and Natalia and the beginning of his episode.
Pretty honest and real discussion between messed up parent/kid relationships.

ryan13ts

I'm missing one emblem in Claire's scenario, driving me nuts that I can't find it. Anyone found all of the emblems for this episode yet?

SkylineRKR

Claire Episode 3 was soo fucking great. I enjoyed every second of it. There was searching, puzzles, excellent encounters and I especially liked that
incinerator place with the trap doors. I had 3 seconds left when I opened the shutter because I went for the upgrade chest too.

Barry was okay, it was a nice change of pace and still enjoyed some encounters, smart use of the propane tanks. I typically get more stealth kills with Barry too.

But about the Overseer,
I think she didn't turn out as planned, she went from a calculating woman to a mad witch... my guess is that she lost the battle and ended up like this... probably lying about Claire.

Can't wait for next week. This is certainly better than Better Call Saul.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also about the villain in this game,
Alex Wesker changes so much between how she is six months ago in Claire's scenario and six months later in Barry's scenario. I have to wonder what happened, as she goes from cold but enthusiast calculator to something like a really creepy witch. I can't be the only one who finds the scenes with her an absolute joy, in both her forms, Her creepy witch self actually gives me the creeps sometimes, her voice actor and modification they did to her voice is perfect, I love how it hyper-focuses on her eye and how she just moves and crawls along things and suddenly appears. I'm really hoping her witch form gets some Lisa Trever-like action in the fourth episode, but I'm guessing not. Probably going to be a lot on her in the next episode, but I think she's my favorite RE villain in a while. Shame she probably won't live past Revelations 2.

Alex Wesker changes so much between how she is six months ago in Claire's scenario and six months later in Barry's scenario. I have to wonder what happened, as she goes from cold but enthusiast calculator to something like a really creepy witch. I can't be the only one who finds the scenes with her an absolute joy, in both her forms, Her creepy witch self actually gives me the creeps sometimes, her voice actor and modification they did to her voice is perfect, I love how it hyper-focuses on her eye and how she just moves and crawls along things and suddenly appears. I'm really hoping her witch form gets some Lisa Trever-like action in the fourth episode, but I'm guessing not. Probably going to be a lot on her in the next episode, but I think she's my favorite RE villain in a while. Shame she probably won't live past Revelations 2.

My favorite villain in the series. I find it really scary.

Shauni

As someone not well-versed in the RE canon, I think the writing in this game is pretty good (and the VA, Barry's delivery is amazing). The cheese makes the characters likable enough so that when bad things happen to them you actually feel like, emotions and stuff. Plus Claire/Moira and Barry/Natalia work really well together.

Honestly, I think this is the best co-op team up we've had since it became a series standard. I think every since 5 the trend has been for them to have a series regular get most of the time, while a rather forgettable second wheel was added. Moira and Natalia just have such good characterization and personalities.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished episode three and will honestly say that this is probably the best paced game in the series for me since Resident Evil 4/REmake. It's in the top three for sure now and I can't believe how much of a great effort Kawata and co did with this, considering it's a "side" series. I think this is far, far better than six for when it comes to that perfect sense of tensity and horror.

And man I really, really love the location for this. The whole Russian aesthetic ambiance and background just oozes so much atmosphere and character it's great. The whole place really felt close to reality and felt like it was alive in. This is how you craft an awesome location that deserves to be in the top listings of places explored in the series.

Can't wait for Episode 4.

Jharp

So here's a really really stupid question... how do I access the raid mode in-game store? I'm level 25 with my main (Moira) and just saw a tooltip saying parts can be combined. I couldn't figure out how to combine them, so I looked it up and people were saying you have to buy the toolbox from the in-game store. But I can't fucking find it.

I know I'm being stupid here, so please forgive me and just tell me how to access the store :p

Seyavesh

she's wearing a cloak so there's definitely going to be some crazy shit with the mutated/machine form. you can see stuff wiggling around under it when it shows the back so it's either tubing or extra limbs (money on the latter). i think it's pretty safe to assume that claire/moira wreck alex's shit but whatever is going on with natalia is the real question 'cuz the episode ends with a cliffhanger that kinda looks like natalia might actually end up being the final boss after all or something. cliches + the way the story has been framed has made it look like whoever was the survivor of the experiment was supposed to be like a brain transfer victim for alex (due to aging or whatever) so i think the twist is gonna be that the brain transfer actually ended up starting but not finishing due to claire/moira stopping alex mid-transfer

Dusk Golem

So here's a really really stupid question... how do I access the raid mode in-game store? I'm level 25 with my main (Moira) and just saw a tooltip saying parts can be combined. I couldn't figure out how to combine them, so I looked it up and people were saying you have to buy the toolbox from the in-game store. But I can't fucking find it.

I know I'm being stupid here, so please forgive me and just tell me how to access the store :p

The store is on the desk behind the chair. Also has tutorials for Raid there.

Jharp

The store is on the desk behind the chair. Also has tutorials for Raid there.

Ah, the goddamn phone. Every time I approached that desk I must have been doing it at the center and hitting the gramaphone, which is voice logs. So I just assmed that desk was just for voice logs.

Thanks, bro :D

so i think the twist is gonna be that the brain transfer actually ended up starting but not finishing due to claire/moira stopping alex mid-transfer

That's what I was thinking when "Alex" screamed at the end, that that was actually Natalia for a moment.

Dusk Golem

she's wearing a cloak so there's definitely going to be some crazy shit with the mutated/machine form. you can see stuff wiggling around under it when it shows the back so it's either tubing or extra limbs (money on the latter). i think it's pretty safe to assume that claire/moira wreck alex's shit but whatever is going on with natalia is the real question 'cuz the episode ends with a cliffhanger that kinda looks like natalia might actually end up being the final boss after all or something. cliches + the way the story has been framed has made it look like whoever was the survivor of the experiment was supposed to be like a brain transfer victim for alex (due to aging or whatever) so i think the twist is gonna be that the brain transfer actually ended up starting but not finishing due to claire/moira stopping alex mid-transfer

We're talking about theories based on what the game has shown us.

I actually have a theory that the brain transfer was a success, but not how Alex expected... This might sound crazy, and I might be far off the ball, but the 'Alex Wesker' that we see from Barry's personality seems way too different, like she's just absolutely lost her mind. My theory is that Alex did actually successfully transplant herself into Natalia. Think about it, Natalia can't remember anything but it's starting to come back to her, the ending in episode 3 where Natalia does something with a sly smile on her face and Alex just looks terrified. I think Alex and Natalia are both inside Natalia, but only part of Alex's consciousness, and Natalia's mind ended up being far too fearless for Alex to take it over. In fact, my theory is that Natalia's mind and world is so twisted, that it back-fired and made Alex experience fear, which is what's happening now.

Natalia when very young experienced a traumatic experience, being in the Terragrigia Incident and losing her parents, an incident that literally involved monsters destroying the whole town and its population with very few survivors. She's chosen as a host, because she doesn't demonstrate fear. But what sort of person doesn't have fear? Someone very twisted in the head. Natalia I don't think is nearly as innocent-minded as she seems, she's able to stay way too calm in all the situations she finds herself in. There's a good person in her. But with her bracelet being red and her being fine, the way that Alex we see seems terrified yet obsessed with her for ruining everything, how Alex says, "When my hair became white and my skin rotted, I didn't experience fear, but..." She implies she experienced fear from something else entirely, my theory is that it was Natalia's mind, and what's left of Alex's mind has been twisted by Natalia's. Alex acting like a witch from a stroybook might be because that was Natalia's perception on what Alex was, a witch, and her twisted perception of the world is what ruined everything. My theory, at least. But probably in a similar manner to how I think Alex's consciousness and personality was affected by Natalia, I think Natalia's was affected by Alex. She is starting to remember things, but I bet she will be a bit more... Calculating and villainous, when Natalia remembers everything and her brain memory and brain stabilizes. That would also explain why Alex is so desperate to find her, not only is she the last one alive, but she seems to imply that Natalia took something from her.

Seyavesh

We're talking about theories based on what the game has shown us.

holy moly i think you're right. like, i'm pretty sure it's right when considering:
the lines from episode 2 when she's watching over barry/natalia. she goes "you are false"/"i'll never forgive you"(in the japanese script).

i am 100% expecting this to be the case now

gconsole

Just finish episode 3 and wow that cliff hanger. I have a feeling that this game story might end up being something canon in the main series or so. Love how they keep mentioning and use the stuff from the past game.

Love how they make use of Uroboros for the boss in Claire story. It's clearly the cross over between RE5 Virus and RE3 Nemesis. This is a true RE boss. Not some shit we have to fight in RE5 or 6.

Regarding to Alex, I have a feeling that she must have problem and need to do something to keep herself alive. The true rebirth keyword in the episode 4 teaser must be something relate to this. From the look of it I don't really think she will make it to another game. But maybe part of her legacy might live on though some other form...

News Bot

Banned
Just finish episode 3 and wow that cliff hanger. I have a feeling that this game story might end up being something canon in the main series or so. Love how they keep mentioning and use the stuff from the past game.

It's already part of the main series, so already canon. Not that being part of the main series is a necessity.

Top Bottom