• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

dellingr

Its odd how off they are considering Rev1 characters were all pretty good. Even the ridiculous Conan O Brien.

Agreed. Rev 1 was much better even with the more low key characters. In Rev 2 it's like they were trying too hard to make them look realistic or something but just made them generic instead.

Ricker

Did I miss something important...hopefully I can go back there...about halfway through the sewers,there's a little alcove that when you get close to it with Claire,you get the little boost up cutscene so Moira can go up there...there is also a crate up there and on the other side,the same kind of little area but Claire doesnt go in the animation for a boost up...I thought throwing the crate back down and bringing it to the other side would solve that but you cant bring the crate over there,it stays on the floor,and you can only pick it up or if you go down in the water,you get the X to jump on it instead of the square to take it...

Before that part,there's a crank that I stopped turning because I wanted to see the rest of the area before...maybe that one would of permitted me to eventually get up there...?

joe2187

Banned
Did I miss something important...hopefully I can go back there...about halfway through the sewers,there's a little alcove that when you get close to it with Claire,you get the little boost up cutscene so Moira can go up there...there is also a crate up there and on the other side,the same kind of little area but Claire doesnt go in the animation for a boost up...I thought throwing the crate back down and bringing it to the other side would solve that but you cant bring the crate over there,it stays on the floor,and you can only pick it up or if you go down in the water,you get the X to jump on it instead of the square to take it...

Before that part,there's a crank that I stopped turning because I wanted to see the rest of the area before...maybe that one would of permitted me to eventually get up there...?

They
unlock areas for barry's section, just extra items and weapons.

News Bot

Banned
I'd take Revelations 2 dad joke master Barry over boring, one note Barry from REmake any day.

I'd take REmake Barry any day. Mainly because he's believable and doesn't suffer from schizophrenia. Mikami had the same opinion too, going by the fact that he told REmake's translator to eat a dick when he tried to keep the badly translated lines.

foxdvd

For those that are talking about a late puzzle in Claire's campaign on episode 3...there is a loot box with 4 locks near this...open it..

When you lift moira up to look at which door does not have a trap, you can get crate that has 4 locks on it...you may feel you don't have time to open it, but it has a level 4 damage upgrade in it...do what ever it takes to get that box...

Mrmartel

Banned
A friend of mine that is a RE fanatic has been praising this game for the last two weeks. He thinks is Right behind RE4, RE2 and remake (RE1) as the fourth best entry in the Franchise. Would anybody here agree with him?

Myself, well I'm waiting for the full retail release. But as a fan of the series I haven't been as excited for a RE game since the RE5 E3 trailer.

News Bot

Banned
A friend of mine that is a RE fanatic has been praising this game for the last two weeks. He thinks is Right behind RE4, RE2 and remake (RE1) as the fourth best entry in the Franchise. Would anybody here agree with him?

Myself, well I'm waiting for the full retail release. But as a fan of the series I haven't been as excited for a RE game since the RE5 E3 trailer.

It's certainly in the top five for me.

REmake
RE3
RE2
RE4
REV2

joe2187

Banned
I heard there are issues with the PS4 version of the game. Anything in particular I should be concerned about?

From what DF has reported it has some FPS hiccups in certain areas, otherwise nothing.

I havent experienced any significant problems, unless you count PSN not letting me download the Raid Mode Map pack.

You could have just discarded an item in your inventory to make room.

That didn't even occur to me until later lol.

For those that are talking about a late puzzle in Claire's campaign on episode 3...there is a loot box with 4 locks near this...open it..

When you lift moira up to look at which door does not have a trap, you can get crate that has 4 locks on it...you may feel you don't have time to open it, but it has a level 4 damage upgrade in it...do what ever it takes to get that box...

Oh I did, lol. My post on the previous page must've made that pretty clear.

Neiteio

I suspect most of us secretly adore this game, but keep downplaying it because we have this notion it's a "budget title." We're also so used to recent REs feeling like missed potential... It's like we're not allowing ourselves to fully enjoy it because we've conditioned ourselves to see the classics as untouchable and everything new as suspect.

I'll straight-up say that Rev 2 is already one of my favorite games in the series (with the disclosure I'm primarily a fan of the "action" REs).

Rev 2 has the best pacing and variety in an RE title since RE4. It has more puzzles in one episode than the entirety of RE4, RE5 and RE6 combined. It has more meaningful lore connections than RE4, more mystery and intrigue, and more heartfelt character development than RE4, RE5 and RE6.

People say this is a "budget" title, but it doesn't look or sound like one, and it's certainly not lacking in content. The occasional bad texture is the exception, not the rule (and RE6 had as many, if not more, I can confirm from playing it the other night). The environments in Rev 2 look "lived-in." They have a real sense of place. They have an undeniable atmosphere, and attention to detail. Then you have the Easter eggs, and the alternate ways things can play out between Claire's scenario and Barry's scenario, which goes a long way toward rekindling that sense of wonder.

And it just feels good to control this game. The snappy aiming and shooting... Dodging with deft directional inputs... The fluid character and camera movement. Switching between characters to stun --> melee --> finish. Scouring the environment with the flashlight, making hidden items *pop* into existence. Pumping shotgun shells into the gut of an Ironhead, or luring him into a Vulcanblubber's line of fire. Rushing past Sploders and hearing them clear out a throng of enemies as they explode. So many satisfying moments, strung together with just the right frequency.

And these boss battles, while only a handful in number, are just fantastic. Especially the one at the end of Claire's Episode 3, where Moira is just as important as Claire, requiring fancy footwork and focused handling of the flashlight to burn away the enemy's armor. Great feedback there, clearly conveying the simmering heat. The creature introduced in Barry's Episode 3 was also memorable. It already feels like a classic.

The wait for Episode 4 will be unbearable. And I read in a review that if you like the storytelling and atmosphere in this game, the two extra episodes (one focused on Moira, the other on Natalia) will apparently deliver in spades. That sounds great. :)

Manu

I've already said this could be my favorite RE since 4, so that puts it in my top 5 for sure.

I guess my top 5 would be 2 > REmake > 4 > Rev2 > 6.

Mrmartel

Banned
I suspect most of us secretly adore this game, but keep downplaying it because we have this notion it's a "budget title." We're also so used to recent REs feeling like missed potential... It's like we're not allowing ourselves to fully enjoy it because we've conditioned ourselves to see the classics as untouchable and everything new as suspect.

Ya I got that feeling from reading this thread over the last couple of weeks. It's like everyone has been conditioned post RE4 to be disappointed or have scaled back any praise for the series, just in case it isn't overwhelmingly loved by everyone on Gaf like RE4 was when it was first released.

If it deserves praise, than stand up on the highest mountain and preach it man. I know i'll have my impressions in a couple of weeks; and if it's truly in the upper echelons of the RE series than I'll actually consider it a miracle compared to the recent titles in the franchise.

I don't know who's doing that but it sure isn't me. Like I've said many times in this thread the game is fantastic and the best RE since 4 by far.

Volcynika

Haven't kept up with this lately, but my brother gave me the PC version of this, and I was wondering about online raid mode being patched in later. Has that happened or even been given a date estimate?

News Bot

Banned
Haven't kept up with this lately, but my brother gave me the PC version of this, and I was wondering about online raid mode being patched in later. Has that happened or even been given a date estimate?

Next Wednesday for the PC version, when Episode 4 is released.

Kuraudo

Banned
Fun fact: the final episode is releasing in Europe on the tenth anniversary of RE4's European release. Hopefully they won't keep us waiting another ten years for a RE of this quality ;)

Nemesis_

I'm glad people enjoy the puzzles in Episode 3, I was weary of over hyping them.

So now I'll just say that Episode 4 will definitely scratch the classic Resident Evil itch.

It's incredibly weighted towards Barry though. Claires section is about 25% of the episode

I agree that the extra episodes deliver on story stuff but I completely disagree that they have atmosphere at all. One is incredibly goofy to the point where I assumed it was not canon (it is though) and the other is just weird :/

AdaWong

I'm glad people enjoy the puzzles in Episode 3, I was weary of over hyping them.

So now I'll just say that Episode 4 will definitely scratch the classic Resident Evil itch.

It's incredibly weighted towards Barry though. Claires section is about 25% of the episode

I agree that the extra episodes deliver on story stuff but I completely disagree that they have atmosphere at all. One is incredibly goofy to the point where I assumed it was not canon (it is though) and the other is just weird :/

Let me guess... XD
Moira's the corny one? Since she hunts for food lol, with THAT old dude too. What a mess,
The weird one? must be referring to Natalia's since she has a twin sister apparently.

Nemesis_

I can't talk about it without ruining the story but yeah, the second episode has an obvious meaning to it but it's just so fucking weird / out of left field that I honestly don't know how to feel about it. It centres around Natalia.

Neiteio

I can't talk about it without ruining the story but yeah, the second episode has an obvious meaning to it but it's just so fucking weird / out of left field that I honestly don't know how to feel about it. It centres around Natalia.
Yeah, I heard about it.
White Natalia / Black Natalia in some sort of surreal dream world
is what I heard.

Mrmartel

Banned

So the story is a not as good as in the Main episodes. But what is the gameplay like in these extra segments? Up to the main eps caliber?

Nemesis_

So the story is a not as good as in the Main episodes. But what is the gameplay like in these extra segments? Up to the main eps caliber?

Moiras is standard gameplay really. With a hunting gimmick attached to the beginning

Natalias is stealth based but it's pretty forgiving so it's not shitty stealth.

I think this episode is the best of the bunch so far. I loved that I didn't have to play Claire's map a second time with Barry.

Unfortunately I felt Barry's section was fucking awful, even the boss felt mediocre.

Or maybe Claire's section was just that good. Because it was really that good.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
From what DF has reported it has some FPS hiccups in certain areas, otherwise nothing.

I havent experienced any significant problems, unless you count PSN not letting me download the Raid Mode Map pack.

Okay. That doesn't sound too bad. I'd prefer parity, but it's fine.

Neiteio

I think this episode is the best of the bunch so far. I loved that I didn't have to play Claire's map a second time with Barry.

Unfortunately I felt Barry's section was fucking awful, even the boss felt mediocre.

Or maybe Claire's section was just that good. Because it was really that good.
I loved Barry's section.

The sluice section was some of the best asymmetric co-op of any game in recent memory, especially when the
Glasp
show up at the end. And then the quarry, as a level, has more explorable geometry than just about any single area I can remember from the last few REs. The conveyor belt puzzles, and using the auxiliary generator as a stepping stone in between, gave it a nice sense of progression.

And the new creature that appears there? Freaking awesome. Ducking and weaving past its tentacle attacks in close quarters was great. I just rewatched the video I saved and might share it on YouTube. The
shed
where you first encounter it is so creepy... Reminds me of the
Mendez fight
in RE4.

DVCY201

Wow, nice to see this entering some people's top five! I tried the demo a bit last night and had fun with it, it feels solid although I could probably tweak the default sensitivity a bit. Looking forward to the retail version though, hopefully I can get a friend to play split-screen too.

LeonSPBR

I didn't even see that toolbox... well I'll replay that to get the emblem and kafka drawing so I'll get that part later

Reedirect

Claire's section this week was the best Resident Evil's been since the opening of RE5. Barry was mediocre at best, probably the first time where I truly felt that I would enjoy a certain part of the game more if I played it in co-op.

Really hope this ends on a high note next week, it's been pretty great so far.

Neiteio

Yeah, I got that one. I ran out of time the first few attempts opening the box, but when I finally got it, I had a minute left to do the face puzzle, which was more than enough time.

Apparently I missed the puzzle in the cemetery room, though. Oh well — something extra to do during my shameless sexy run (i.e. bonus costumes).

Speaking of which, I'm disappointed that Capcom blocks video recording of the ending of Episode 3. That whole sequence where
Neil comes back and Moira uses a gun
is amazing, and would be even more amazing with Rodeo Claire and Urban Ninja Moira. I'd love to record it, but I guess Capcom felt the need to save us from spoilers.

I'll straight-up say that Rev 2 is already one of my favorite games in the series (with the disclosure I'm primarily a fan of the "action" REs).

Rev 2 has the best pacing and variety in an RE title since RE4. It has more puzzles in one episode than the entirety of RE4, RE5 and RE6 combined. It has more meaningful lore connections than RE4, more mystery and intrigue, and more heartfelt character development than RE4, RE5 and RE6.

People say this is a "budget" title, but it doesn't look or sound like one, and it's certainly not lacking in content. The occasional bad texture is the exception, not the rule (and RE6 had as many, if not more, I can confirm from playing it the other night). The environments in Rev 2 look "lived-in." They have a real sense of place. They have an undeniable atmosphere, and attention to detail. Then you have the Easter eggs, and the alternate ways things can play out between Claire's scenario and Barry's scenario, which goes a long way toward rekindling that sense of wonder.

And it just feels good to control this game. The snappy aiming and shooting... Dodging with deft directional inputs... The fluid character and camera movement. Switching between characters to stun --> melee --> finish. Scouring the environment with the flashlight, making hidden items *pop* into existence. Pumping shotgun shells into the gut of an Ironhead, or luring him into a Vulcanblubber's line of fire. Rushing past Sploders and hearing them clear out a throng of enemies as they explode. So many satisfying moments, strung together with just the right frequency.

And these boss battles, while only a handful in number, are just fantastic. Especially the one at the end of Claire's Episode 3, where Moira is just as important as Claire, requiring fancy footwork and focused handling of the flashlight to burn away the enemy's armor. Great feedback there, clearly conveying the simmering heat. The creature introduced in Barry's Episode 3 was also memorable. It already feels like a classic.

The wait for Episode 4 will be unbearable. And I read in a review that if you like the storytelling and atmosphere in this game, the two extra episodes (one focused on Moira, the other on Natalia) will apparently deliver in spades. That sounds great. :)

This guy is TITS! (^____^)

Cant wait grab the retail copy next week

Since I missed it the first time, is there something you need to do in (Episode 3) Claire's section to
open the gate with the new Assault Rifle?
Or did I miss something in Barry's section?

Cisab

Since I missed it the first time, is there something you need to do in (Episode 3) Claire's section to
open the gate with the new Assault Rifle?
Or did I miss something in Barry's section?

You need to open the gates on Claire's part. Can't remember how I exactly did it.

Reebot

Absolutely. This game nails Resident Evil, both the gameplay and the story. Its super fun, managing limited resources and requiring precise aiming and melee attacks. Encounters move quickly without being overwhelming and the arenas are surprisingly diverse.

And the story - perfect B movie tone! It has just enough seriousness to balance the borderline farcical humor. That opening infomercial is ripped straight out of Robocop and sets the mood right away. Its the correct way to handle this material.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also, I something that's a spoiler to Revelations 2 episode 4, not a huge story spoiler or anything but something I'm aware of, and thinking maybe it's related to a certain event in episode 3.

Revelations 2 has two different endings, I have no idea what determines what ending you get, but I wonder if its related to that moment against Neil when you can either get Claire to shoot Neil, or Moira? Hmn...

Claire's taste in
men
. Impeccable.

Lady will go through menopause before she can find
a guy she likes who doesn't turn into a monster.

Gren

Claire's ep 3 is surprisingly long. Sat down to play a quick session before bed & thought I could finish the first part based on what I saw with the first two eps. Nope, up past midnight (and still not done) before I finally put it down.

A lot of that time had to do with me neurotically redoing sections to achieve near perfect/minimal ammo-use runs. And now that they've added a wee bit of health regen to recover from limping, I'm even more frugal with herbs too. When I switch to Claire the screen is always smeared with red lipstick.

Top Bottom