• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

gconsole

It's already part of the main series, so already canon. Not that being part of the main series is a necessity.

I come from the impression of the first revelation when its story has absolutely nothing to do with the past game except for the main character. So yeah, I'm a bit surprise how much revelation2 is different from that. It's clearly canon, with the main character, villain and virus that extract directly from the main series.

Revelation 2 feel like totally different game using different team, compare to the first one.

AdaWong

Once they close the awful Wesker children subplot with this game. There will be nothing left except for the even more awful The Family from RE6.

Reboot incoming!

Really getting tired of waiting to play this and am heavily considering just geting it digitally right now :/
I mean, thanks to PSN, I have my dedicated Resident Evil folder on my PS3, so there's that.
That and I think I'd rather pay $6 - $25 up front right now as opposed to $40.
Want something to play while im waiting for Bloodborne and I dont want to really finish RE:R1 again. Middle portion of that game is unfun and tedious honestly...

What say u guys?

AdaWong

Really getting tired of waiting to play this and am heavily considering just geting it digitally right now :/
I mean, thanks to PSN, I have my dedicated Resident Evil folder on my PS3, so there's that.
Want something to play while im waiting for Bloodborne and I dont want to really finish RE:R1 again. Middle portion of that game is unfun and tedious honestly...

What say u guys?

So, you waited 3 weeks, and when there is literally 6 days left for the physical release, you give up? :p

Bruh

Neiteio

What say u guys?
I say go for it. Start now and join us next week for the grand finale. Then it's onto Bloodborne.

Plus, Raid makes this worth having digitally, so you can jump in for a quick match without needing to use a disk.

So, you waited 3 weeks, and when there is literally 6 days left for the physical release, you give up? :p

Bruh

I know right? lol
I mean, if I ever REALLY want a physical copy to stick on the shelf, I can always just pick one up down the road :)

Also, has Capcom made any mention if this whole gamble has payed off yet?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
To be fair, if I hadn't bought it digitally, I would also be super tempted with all of this positive reaction to the game coming from players.

But I would say, hold out, the physical release is so close, if that's how you'd prefer to experience it, might as well hold, unless you feel you absolutely cannot wait a week and would prefer to get it now and don't mind it not being physical.

Trying to figure out how to get to that hanging corpse in episode 3 that's
carrying a sniper rifle. I figure I can shoot it down from where it is, but I can't figure out how to get to it from where I am after the elevator stops moving

AdaWong

Alex looks good here! Hope Capcom adds her in Raid Mode <3
witch-the-witch-from-snow-white-31444288-432-346.jpg

Dusk Golem

Trying to figure out how to get to that hanging corpse in episode 3 that's
carrying a sniper rifle. I figure I can shoot it down from where it is, but I can't figure out how to get to it from where I am after the elevator stops moving

...There was
a sniper rifle in episode 3?

I feel I've missed so much. OTL

Grisby

(episode 3 spoilers) Claire
IT'S IN THE GODDAMNED NAME
Redfield.

Very fun closing to her episode. Barry's opening was nice, narrative wise. Looking forward to playing it tonight.

I also unlocked the 90 medal raid character and man, that Katana. I need that weapon for every character now. So badass.
My favorite villain in the series. I find it really scary.
The design is great, one of the best in the series. It's intro in episode 3 is also shot pretty well.

Finally finished episode 3...I'm almost not looking forward to episode 4, because I'll be sad when this is over. This has been the best Resident Evil since 5 to me. Not a revolution in game design, but it didn't have to be, it's a fun RE title, with a pretty interesting story so far.

AdaWong

She's already confirmed for raid mode, people dug through the files when episode 1 came out. Unfortunately not looking like that though :(

Haha yeah I know
she's in. I just wanted my post to seem as if I'm clueless about the matter because I didn't want to mark it as spoilers and make the post ugly with that hideous black bar! :p

King Boo

alex wesker
reminds me of a certain naruto character,
orochimaru

game is pretty good. sad that there is only 1 episode left

News Bot

Banned
Probably should've also mentioned this is from Barry's section. Still confused how I'm supposed to get to where it drops. Invisible walls everywhere.

Natalia can see blue footprints leading towards a ladder before you use the power source at the gate that requires both characters to open. You set the power source down at the ladder and climb up (like you do to get into the top building or get the ammo on top of the crate).

I come from the impression of the first revelation when its story has absolutely nothing to do with the past game except for the main character. So yeah, I'm a bit surprise how much revelation2 is different from that. It's clearly canon, with the main character, villain and virus that extract directly from the main series.

Revelation 2 feel like totally different game using different team, compare to the first one.

Both REV games are important to the overall series story, REV1's story was a little butchered thanks to dicky translation efforts but it was meant to explain how TRICELL came to dominance in the B.O.W. market and how the BSAA was reformed into how it appears in BIO5.

Once they close the awful Wesker children subplot with this game. There will be nothing left except for the even more awful The Family from RE6.

Reboot incoming!

There's also Ada and her organization. Plus any number of new plot threads. The series potential is virtually limitless. Also the Wesker Project is brilliant. Jury's still out on The Family but so far it's pretty good.

Honestly, I would rage if
they made Natalia a villain. I love her character and it'd be shame to see it play out like that.

Would she really be the villain if Alex is/was successful with the body transfer? She'd be more of a victim. Even if she's not I doubt we'd see her past this game anyway, unfortunately. Maybe in Revelations 6 as an adult with Alex's mysterious son.

Dusk Golem

This episode's invisible enemy mode seems like it'd be an absolute nightmare.

I was thinking that too. Between the two bosses, the parts where you have to shoot enemies coming after Natalia from below, and surprise sploders, this chapter is probably going to be a bitch in Invisible Enemy Mode.

AdaWong

There's also Ada and her organization. Plus any number of new plot threads. The series potential is virtually limitless. Also the Wesker Project is brilliant. Jury's still out on The Family but so far it's pretty good.

I.. kinda forgot about Ada and her organization. Which is ironic considering I know her character like the back of my hand.

As for The Family, they wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the fact that they suddenly introduced them out of nowhere and that they actually crucial to everything happening in the canon timeline, since they orchestrated a lot of the things behind the scenes. I would have liked them more if they were introduced earlier and built them up until the exposure in RE6.

Speaking of new plot threads, you have the Japanese script, right? Is there anything alluding to a possible set-up for the next RE?

AdaWong

Would she really be the villain if Alex is/was successful with the body transfer? She'd be more of a victim. Even if she's not I doubt we'd see her past this game anyway, unfortunately. Maybe in Revelations 6 as an adult with Alex's mysterious son.

Natalia would be the villain, physically, but mentally, it's Alex.

And can't wait for Revelations 6!

4 campaigns:

Parker & Moira
Quint & Keith
Adult Natalia & Alex's son
Jessica & Agent's brother

Dusk Golem

I think we talked about this in this very thread a few weeks ago, but Resident Evil needs to get a handling on their villain situation.

The villain of Revelations 2 is, in my opinion, the best villain we've gotten in the series in a long time, but it's painfully obvious she's not going to live past this game. They need to stop killing off their villains in the game they appear in, but also just make quality villains. RE6 and Revelations 1 suffered from the villains not being handled well and not really being up to the series standards. When a series boasts villains like Albert Wesker, Nemesis, William Birkin, and the Ashford Twins, yes it's a bit challenging to keep up to par, but my after-mentioned list of good main villains the series has is going to be joined by the villain in Revelations 2 most likely depending on how episode 4 goes. But after Umbrella and the death of Wesker, the series is missing a gripping overarching threat and villainous force that's built up and composes something greater and composing most of the lore of the franchise, and I believe its been felt more recently. Revelations 2 has connections to things in the series and has that sense again, but we need something going forward, or else the series may become just a case of, "MonsterVirus of the Week,"

I was thinking that too. Between the two bosses, the parts where you have to shoot enemies coming after Natalia from below, and surprise sploders, this chapter is probably going to be a bitch in Invisible Enemy Mode.

Wouldn't it make more sense just to tackle those modes when online co-op becomes available?

Seyavesh

having an overarching villain would still make it monster/virus of the week- RE6 tried to establish a new one with "the family" but it obviously didn't work to alleviate that. it's simply about establishing a villain properly and creating a situation where their influence is both strong and believable rather than being "the family" levels of absurd illuminati levels of insane cartoon control

the thing is that the family left no impression in re6, the game they introduced in since simmons was supposed to be the guy who represented them (and he left no real impression as well)- they had no real control over the situation nor did they seem even remotely believable with their thousand mile long ancient catacombs.

i mean, think about how absolutely fucking crazy it is that those catacombs are somehow less believable than wesker's infinite test pod corridor in RE5 or the ancient african laser kingdom or the weird racist caricature tribal village

one unique thing about the setting at the moment is that it allows for massive variance in terms of tackling this issue due to widespread and widely researched bioweapons are in it's world. like clearing out the 'monster/virus of the week' is literally chris/jill's job description!

These look exactly the same, except for subtle lighting differences.
apparently the 'younger' model uses the old facial mesh but with the RER2 texture (modified) uved to it to try and match it up so the bone structure is more similar to what folks recognize or something. idk, i just think it's neat

Shauni

The thing is, as I've mentioned before, the way Capcom has set up the story of RE, a villain can pop up at any point, anywhere, and still be perfectly viable. I get that some people prefer the "big bad" across multiple games or whatever, but there's no reason to reboot when they've set up the perfect way to introduce villains of any kind. It'd be a real shame to see a reboot that wiped all that away and just made it about a group of ragtag ex-cops against Umberella, a big damn shame.

How can you get
to the upstairs ledge in the spinning blade room
in Claire chapter 3
where the slaughter house key is?

You just got to back corner of the room and lift Moira up. There's nothing else special to do there

Just finished ep3, think I'm gonna start my survival run now. I would put this game up there with RE2 as one of my favorites. Can't wait for episode 4.

BTW you guys were right, smokescreen bottles
really broke the end encounter on Barry's part for ep3.

Dusk Golem

I want to clarify, I don't want a reboot. I think a big part of the appeal of the franchise is its continuity, lore, and how it just rolls with it all. I've said this before, I think Resident Evil is the longest on-going video game narrative, I believe it has more canon entries in its mythology between its different games, cg films, mangas, etc., that contribute to the series canon, but I think this aspect of the series is appealing, and the 'problems' with the series wouldn't be fixed with a reboot. Actually, a reboot is the last thing I want. I'd rather they just go to new characters and situations in the new universe rather than start it from scratch.

And yes, we have The Family now, but they have at this point in time, no charismatic qualities to them, they could be fleshed out into something interesting, but we'll have to see.

I don't mind there being more than one source of evil, I know in the series as it is now can support it, but it'd be nice to have villains that, like the main heroes in the games, are reoccurring and built upon between different entries.

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but I got an ad in the mail from an electronics store saying the retail version is released this Friday 13/3. This is in Sweden, bit every other store says 20/3. :S Anyone know what's up?

MrPanic

So I finally got the game as well and been liking it so far. Only cleared episode 1 of the story so far but it's pretty ok so far, that plottwist at the end definitely made me eager to play ep2. Been playing raid mode a bit more and really been liking it. The only thing I dislike so far is how leveling is tied to characters now, I really liked how I could just switch characters whenever in Rev1. I also don't get the weapon system, primarily the levels on weapons, is it just a cap on till what they are useful or does it somehow indicate how good a weapon is?

Got the game on steam btw. Kinda disappointed how crappy this game runs on my laptop. RE6 ran fine even on 1080p so I assumed I would be fine getting this game on steam, but I had to put this game on an even lower setting than 720p before it could keep a decent framerate. Does anyone know a magic fix to make this game run well or is this a common problem?

Alec

I mean...Albert Wesker died in the first game. Go back in time and you would be 100% certain he died. I'm still not entirely convinced he died in RE5.

So here's hoping this villain is more than a one-hit-wonder.

Okay so in the
sewers
in Claire chap 3, I dropped the crate from that upper level, can you get to the other side of the upper level with it? It doesn't seem to let me drop it into the water. Otherwise, how do you get up there?

Reebot

Okay so in the
sewers
in Claire chap 3, I dropped the crate from that upper level, can you get to the other side of the upper level with it? It doesn't seem to let me drop it into the water. Otherwise, how do you get up there?

Its just you being a buddy for Barry.

jediyoshi

These look exactly the same, except for subtle lighting differences.

Claire is beautiful in RER2. I can't understand some of these fans.

Yeah, it's a night and day difference. The lips work better and the profile on the nose makes me wonder what they were even going for in RER2 since the rest is relatively untouched.

Makes you wonder why they didn't just reuse the facial model entirely.

dolphin2010-07-0715-03xs5v.jpg

For Raid Mode. Campaign co-op will be available through Split-screen only. Forever.

....this seems so...strange. Why?

Is there some kind of gameplay issue that would prevent online co-op?

This would actually seem like the -perfect- thing to include co-op since it would require actual co-op play. You know, COOPERATIVE, talking to each other. Planning things out. Relegating tasks. Instead of most co-op games where it's just twice the guns and twice the bullets and you shoot shit up.

Online co-op via voice chat on invisible mode would be fantastic for hardcore fans. If they are worried about the reliance on mics, fine. Have microphone function be a requirement. Besides, only purists are going to want to bother with invisible mode to begin with.

I'm so fucking let-down by this. Fuck.

Shauni

Okay so in the
sewers

Yeah, that goes into Barry's campaign, as do turning the water valves with Claire/Moira.

Shauni

....this seems so...strange. Why?

Is there some kind of gameplay issue that would prevent online co-op?

This would actually seem like the -perfect- thing to include co-op since it would require actual co-op play. You know, COOPERATIVE, talking to each other. Planning things out. Relegating tasks. Instead of most co-op games where it's just twice the guns and twice the bullets and you shoot shit up.

Online co-op via voice chat on invisible mode would be fantastic for hardcore fans. If they are worried about the reliance on mics, fine. Have microphone function be a requirement. Besides, only purists are going to want to bother with invisible mode to begin with.

I'm so fucking let-down by this. Fuck.

Nothing has been said about it, but I think maybe the idea might be that fewer people want to play a purely defensive character (or limited might be a better word), and it would probably result in a lot of people dropping out whenever they come into a game as Natalia or Moira. That isn't an issue since you can just swap controllers locally whenever/ifever someone gets bored. I mean, I don't know, it might be just a budget thing, too, so who knows really.

Neiteio

Yeah, it's a night and day difference. The lips work better and the profile on the nose makes me wonder what they were even going for in RER2 since the rest is relatively untouched.

Makes you wonder why they didn't just reuse the facial model entirely.
I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying.

I'm saying Claire is beautiful in RER2.

She doesn't need to be "fixed."

Top Bottom