• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Episode 1 and 2 gave me almost all handgun and machine pistol ammo at random item places, episode 3 almost stopped giving me ammo entirely and I just found countless BP gems. I got a ridiculous amount of BP from the gems between both parts of the episode for a single playthrough.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I actually hit a hell of an inventory struggle in ep. 3, I was constantly swapping stuff back and forth until I found another inventory expansion.

My biggest fuck up with claire
was holding 2 shotguns and dropping the machine pistol. I had so much ammo for it which would have helped for the boss

Manu

Finished episode 3. Just Claire's section was the best Resident Evil I've played in forever.

I love how many references they're cramming from the other games. Uroboros, the Neil FBC revival plot, so great.

You've found the balance you've been looking for for the last ten years, Capcom. Don't see it go to waste. We need RE7 to expand on that.

Barry's section was worse but not bad, just not as good. The new boss was cool too.

About the story:

I'm really curious about how Alex turns into Quasimodo. The cliffhanger this week didn't really work since we saw both Barry and Natalia on the preview of episode 4. Oh well.

Can't wait for the last episode.

Cubed

Finished episode 3. Just Claire's section was the best Resident Evil I've played in forever.

I love how many references they're cramming from the other games. Uroboros, the Neil FBC revival plot, so great.

You've found the balance you've been looking for for the last ten years, Capcom. Don't see it go to waste. We need RE7 to expand on that.

Barry's section was worse but not bad, just not as good. The new boss was cool too.

About the story:

I'm really curious about how Alex turns into Quasimodo. The cliffhanger this week didn't really work since we saw both Barry and Natalia on the preview of episode 4. Oh well.

Can't wait for the last episode.

Pretty much this.

This is the best RE since 4. I'm even one of those that liked 5, 6, and Rev 1... but this is a whole new level of nostalgia on top of decent gameplay and an intriguing story. It literally has everything: Characters that are beloved in the canon but aren't overplayed like Leon, Chris, and Jill; a story that not only seems decent by itself, but becomes pretty good when you get the references to other games; solid gunplay and AI; great creature/enemy designs; a partner system that works well in single player AND co-op; creepy atmosphere; and lastly, a healthy dose of puzzles!

That's all without even mentioning RAID mode, which is exactly why I don't think modern REs need to be shoot 'em ups! Just have RAID mode for that and leave the campaign with a healthy mix of exploration, puzzle-solving, and gunplay.

If there's one thing to nitpick, I don't even think the overall graphics are that bad, but the environments are pretty bland. Even then, certain areas (like the forest/saw mill at night) and certain rooms (like the main entrance to "The Tower") really stick with you.

Unless Episode 4 reeeeally drops the ball, this will be in my Top 3 RE's of all time.

Pretty much this.

This is the best RE since 4. I'm even one of those that liked 5, 6, and Rev 1... but this is a whole new level of nostalgia on top of decent gameplay and an intriguing story. It literally has everything: Characters that are beloved in the canon but aren't overplayed like Leon, Chris, and Jill; a story that not only seems decent by itself, but becomes pretty good when you get the references to other games; solid gunplay and AI; great creature/enemy designs; a partner system that works well in single player AND co-op; creepy atmosphere; and lastly, a healthy dose of puzzles!

That's all without even mentioning RAID mode, which is exactly why I don't think modern REs need to be shoot 'em ups! Just have RAID mode for that and leave the campaign with a healthy mix of exploration, puzzle-solving, and gunplay.

If there's one thing to nitpick, I don't even think the overall graphics are that bad, but the environments are pretty bland. Even then, certain areas (like the forest/saw mill at night) and certain rooms (like the main entrance to "The Tower") really stick with you.

Unless Episode 4 reeeeally drops the ball, this will be in my Top 3 RE's of all time.

Yep, this is my consensus too. I just hope Capcom takes it to heart going forward with the series. They struck gold with this game, and I hope it pays off. I just hope this wasn't a fluke, and they knew what they were doing.

Lernaean

Banned
Ok, finished ep3 last night, and i'll say it. Rev2 is one of the best entries in the series, and if ep4 is just as good, the game solidifies its spot for me. Top 5? More like top 3.
Someone give Ampo and the rest of the team a raise, and hand RE7 to them.

Looks like this game is far better than I thought it was going to be based on the previews. Will probably pick it up on Steam sometime after all episodes are released.

One question - I really liked raid mode in RER1, but I hated the constant grinding that was needed to get to a suitable level in order to be able to beat the next stage. Can you do a playthrough of all the raid mode stages without repeating too many stages to gain EXP in this one?

Dusk Golem

I still can't get over the whole deal that the RE game that got the most negative reception pre-launch with so many people vocally trashing it and thinking it was going to be terrible, has ended up being one of the most well-liked games in the franchise in years by fans and being almost universally liked here on GAF.

Dusk Golem

Though, I will say whoever said this game had no connections with Revelations 1 pre-release was just flat-out lying. XD Not that I mind, did make it interesting.

Edit: oops, meant to be a second mobile edit but made it a new post... Ah well.

Neiteio

I'm replaying Episode 3, doing my super-sexy ninja/cowgirl run, and I took this cool shot while cornered by Vulcanblubber:

residentevilrevelatio88s6a.jpg

Also, some obligatory cheesecake:

residentevilrevelatioo4sxp.jpg

residentevilrevelatiopbs26.jpg

residentevilrevelatiobhsoc.jpg

I know these costumes are just fanservice, but I gotta admit that the attention to detail put into the character models is just really impressive. I've played as Moira a lot in raid mode, so I've switched between the regular and DLC costume pretty regularly, and the level of detail in her model is just really well done. From her abs, and the shoulder blades sticking out of her back, and small birth marks. It's all real well done, and looks very realistic. The artists for this game really studied human anatomy, and were able to just replicate the smallest details real well.

Neiteio

Ah, i just checked them out. They work in campaign too, right?
Yes, those shots I took are all from the campaign. Go to Campaign --> Special Settings, and you can toggle the costumes on/off on a character-by-character basis.

You can also use them in Raid. A cool combination in Raid is to level up Cipher's katana skill so Moira can inherit it while wearing her Urban Ninja outfit. :)

Dusk Golem

Ah, i just checked them out. They work in campaign too, right?

Yup, work for both the Main Campaign and Raid Mode.

Something about the unlockable costumes compared to the DLC costumes,
you have to actually unlock them separately for both the campaign and Raid Mode. Their unlock requirements are different and unlocks them for purchase from the extras menu, you need to unlock them separately then purchase them individually.

Lernaean

Banned
Yes, those shots I took are all from the campaign. Go to Campaign --> Special Settings, and you can toggle the costumes on/off on a character-by-character basis.

You can also use them in Raid. A cool combination in Raid is to level up Cipher's katana skill so Moira can inherit it while wearing her Urban Ninja outfit. :)

Cool, thank you :)

Can I inherit it without wearing that outfit? >.>

I like default Moira better.

Neiteio

Yup, work for both the Main Campaign and Raid Mode.

Something about the unlockable costumes compared to the DLC costumes,
you have to actually unlock them separately for both the campaign and Raid Mode. Their unlock requirements are different and unlocks them for purchase from the extras menu, you need to unlock them separately then purchase them individually.
Do you know what unlockable costumes are available for the campaign, and what the unlock requirements are?

Costumes are the best. Each one justifies a new playthrough!

Can I inherit it without wearing that outfit? >.>

I like default Moira better.
Yes, any character with any costume can inherit the katana.

SeanTSC

Woo, just S Ranked Episode 3's Countdown and Invisible modes on my first go at them. Done everything for Ep 3 now except for finding all of the Documents (and 4 more kills of a certain thing)

Have 13/15:

Hawk Room Graffiti
Factory Chief's Journal 1
Light Room Graffiti
Factory Chief's Journal 2
A Eulogy for my Brethren
Release Our Sworn Comrades
Instructions for Stuart
Stuart's Valediction
A Letter to My Compatriots
Neil's Candidate List
The Old Man's Journal
Irina's Last Words
Note on Corpse Disposal

Anyone know what the last two are?

Neiteio

Woo, just S Ranked Episode 3's Countdown and Invisible modes on my first go at them. Done everything for Ep 3 now except for finding all of the Documents (and 4 more kills of a certain thing)

Have 13/15:

Hawk Room Graffiti
Factory Chief's Journal 1
Light Room Graffiti
Factory Chief's Journal 2
A Eulogy for my Brethren
Release Our Sworn Comrades
Instructions for Stuart
Stuart's Valediction
A Letter to My Compatriots
Neil's Candidate List
The Old Man's Journal
Irina's Last Words
Note on Corpse Disposal

Anyone know what the last two are?
I'm missing two documents, as well, which surprises me, since I'm incredibly thorough combing each level. Usually only a few medals, Kafka drawings, and insect larvae elude me.

NIN90

Kinda having the opposite reaction than you guys. Episode 1 was refreshing and I had high hopes for the following episodes but it's been a drag for me ever since episode 2. It's just not very fun to play. I'm kinda dreading the thought of playing through Barry's chapter today after work.

Combat feels "janky", there's only a few interesting enemies (the Regenerator-ish monsters, Ironheads) and the environments aren't particularly fun to go through.
Throwing in RE6 for a quick Mercs session last weekend certainly didn't help this impression.

Raid mode, while having a somewhat addictive structure to it, feels hacked together to me. I can't put my finger on it but something about going through the RE6 environments with this combat engine just feels wrong to me.

Been playing on survival but I might have to drop to normal for Claire's boss. After using all the ammo I have on me and running out of
explosive crates
the son of a bitch still wont go down.
I'm really surprised by how long Claire's segment is, I'm assuming Barry's is much shorter.

Modded best Claire in to replace that dumb cowgirl outfit for Raid Mode. :D

That one can only be used in Raid Mode right?

I have to say that this game is the best experience I have had with a Resident Evil game since 4. That Claire chapter in episode 3 is exactly what Resident Evil should be going forward, great mix of classic and new.

Tip for those few of you that said you are new to Resident Evil(or at least the recent games)

Put all your good parts on the sub&machine gun type weapons and use them as your primary(headshot->melee),
secondly get your handgun upgraded decently but only use it sparingly.

This has always worked pretty well and kinda broke RE4 imo. it works because you are using it for the basic purpose of the handgun but the machine gun ammo is more common and x30 instead of the lower handgun count.

Neiteio

You mean
Claire or Moira shooting the monster? I wanted to have Moira do it but it didn't seem to do anything when I switched to her
We're talking about the video sharing. It's blocked during that scene. Seems odd that scene was blocked, but not any of the other story scenes (like Barry's cliffhanger, etc).

As for what you do when you switch... Push forward to crawl. It's a huge moment for Moira. So much so I'd suggest replaying if you missed it.

Pilgrimzero

We're talking about the video sharing. It's blocked during that scene. Seems odd that scene was blocked, but not any of the other story scenes (like Barry's cliffhanger, etc).

As for what you do when you switch... Push forward to crawl. It's a huge moment for Moira. So much so I'd suggest replaying if you missed it.

So what happens when
Moira reaches the gun? I get she shoots it but does she cry? Flash back to her sister? Say "Damn I forgot how much I love guns!"
?

Shauni

You mean
Claire or Moira shooting the monster? I wanted to have Moira do it but it didn't seem to do anything when I switched to her

It doesn't prompt you to do so like it does with Claire, but you still have to mash X (on Xbox) repeatedly for her to actually move

Neiteio

So what happens when
Moira reaches the gun? I get she shoots it but does she cry? Flash back to her sister? Say "Damn I forgot how much I love guns!"
?
Lol, there are flashbacks while she crawls

Some suspect it leads to a different ending, based on hooks for multiple endings in the game data

I've been avoiding this thread since I'm waiting for the physical release. quick question though, what is it that's addictive about raid mode? Is it the desire to level up your character/weapons? or is the combat super fun? They said that they'll be patching in online co-op for raid mode, is that even something you'd want to play co-op? with strangers I mean, I don't have any friends on PS4 who would play this with me. My friend who I played RE6 with is on XB1

joe2187

Banned

Some suspect it leads to a different ending, based on hooks for multiple endings in the game data

I loved that scene,
because you have this cheesy albeit tragic flashback to the incident that caused moira to hate guns and then you have moira saying the most absurd "GO SIT ON A DILDO" line that I never thought I'd hear in an RE game. I wonder what it says in japanese.

Pilgrimzero

More questions on the subject:

If Polly lived, where did Moira shoot her?

Also, why doesn't Moira now use a gun for chapter 4 if she is over her fear of guns? Does she just hand it back and say "I'm still not ready." or something?

Ugh I wish I could go back and change what happened. They needed a better prompt or something.

Seyavesh

I loved that scene,
because you have this cheesy albeit tragic flashback to the incident that caused moira to hate guns and then you have moira saying the most absurd "GO SIT ON A DILDO" line that I never thought I'd hear in an RE game. I wonder what it says in japanese.

ep3 boss spoiler discussion above and below
apparently she just says some plain line using "kusoyaro" which is like "piece of shit" when the rest of the game she hadn't been swearing at all (instead of swearing a lot she just says 'saiyaku' a lot which is like 'this is the worst/this really sucks)

interestingly the lines where Claire refuses to doubt Neil in English are radically different in Japanese- when Moira brings up the bracelet instead of going 'no. it can't be Neil.' she goes "that is suspicious". also the boyfriend teaser line is apparently totally different too though the guy I was watching didn't mention what the Japanese line was- just that it had absolutely nothing to do with boyfriend or relationship teasing.

the Japanese script is reeaallly played seriously and like every single joke and char quirk in the English script don't exist apparently. like pedro's obsession with using the word balls is nonexistent- he just says more plain dialogue

Top Bottom