• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Ralemont

not me
I will say, though, I'm not familiar enough with Claire's character, prior to this game, to say whether I think it's inconsistent where the maternal angle is concerned. I'll take your word on that.

He does have a point with that. Claire probably should have gone after Natalia instead of Neil based on previous games. But it's not like they had any idea where Natalia was.

News Bot

Banned
I don't think that's necessarily inconsistent (the "head over heels" bit). A person she cares about is in trouble, so she drops the pretense and facade and you see her true colors regarding that person.

I will say, though, I'm not familiar enough with Claire's character, prior to this game, to say whether I think it's inconsistent where the maternal angle is concerned. I'll take your word on that.

Sure, but there's no hint of those "true colors" anywhere. Even Steve's infatuation was more natural and not just "BOOM feels."

Claire's previous appearances focused on her protecting young girls at the expense of everything else. She jumped into the middle of a crowd of Zombies just to hold one of them.

DVCY201

I think it comes down to how seriously you want to take the game's story. The Japanese script seems to play it straight, while the English one is a little more tongue-in-cheek.

It's not even that for me. The script for REV 1 and 2 and most likely subsequent games is written by Dai Sato, who is actually a good scriptwriter. I'm interested in what he can possibly bring to Resident Evil. But it seems like his writing is being completely marred and changed, to the point of changing entire characterizations.

I know we all like to poke fun at RE for it's legacy, but it could have a good story, a great one even. Too bad the localization will just force in jokes instead.

Cheesy one liner, early 90's action movie hero/herione star RE is canon RE.

I love it too. But I think the dialogue is bordering on cringe-worthy, rather than cheesy.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
After beating it last night, am I right to think that the best way to handle Claire's boss is to switch to whatever character the boss is focusing on so you can dodge appropriately?

Also, I kind of feel like Claire should have regenerating health like Moira does when you aren't controlling her, given how underwhelming the AI's dodging is.

I actually never switched characters and found that he ignored Moira(maybe I just got lucky).

As Claire I just kept luring him into attacking the canisters to light on fire, and circled around so that he would keep having it reapplied to him. Also had a few firebombs that came in handy.

Sure, but there's no hint of those "true colors" anywhere. Even Steve's infatuation was more natural and not just "BOOM feels."

Claire's previous appearances focused on her protecting young girls at the expense of everything else. She jumped into the middle of a crowd of Zombies just to hold one of them.

Yeah, due to this I also found the meeting with Natalia to be weird, where Claire didn't know how to approach it while Moira did.

Neiteio

Maybe what happened with him means she's more guarded now in showing how she feels?

News Bot said:
Ah, I see.

News Bot

Banned
It's not even that for me. The script for REV 1 and 2 and most likely subsequent games is written by Dai Sato, who is actually a good scriptwriter. I'm interested in what he can possibly bring to Resident Evil. But it seems like his writing is being completely marred and changed, to the point of changing entire characterizations.

I know we all like to poke fun at RE for it's legacy, but it could have a good story, a great one even. Too bad the localization will just force in jokes instead.

REV1's plot is butchered by the localization too. There's a reference to TRICELL masterminding the entire game's events but it's replaced by claiming that the BSAA's founders are evil.

Yeah, due to this I also found the meeting with Natalia to be weird, where Claire didn't know how to approach it while Moira did.

It's not really about Claire not knowing how to approach, she does so just fine. It's just that her maternal nature didn't jive with Natalia, while Moira's sisterly nature did. The English version just missed the whole point and opted to make Claire look like she couldn't deal with children.

Maybe what happened with him means she's more guarded now in showing how she feels?

Claire had no feelings for Steve, it was entirely one-sided. She got close to him but had no romantic feelings. In 1998, Claire was actually not inclined towards romance at all.

Hideki Kamiya said:
She has a lot of boyfriends, but doesn't seem to be tied down to any particular person.

joe2187

Banned

Nah, when people start taking the lore of RE games seriously thats when I check out.

It's been like that since the first game, even REmake couldn't leave out the cheese and it makes the games better and the characters feel like they have more definition.

I dont need a super serious resident evil and I dont think anyone would really enjoy it.

Shauni

Yeah, well, like I said, it all depends on how you want to take the story. For one side, it's "butchering", for another it's "injecting personality." All depends on how you chose to look at it. I think it's unfair really, to try and devalue one view over the other when both have been, to some degree, accepted by various groups.

Neiteio

Question about RE4 localization:

In the English version of RE4, when Leon observes the victims of experiments in the lab (i.e. the corpse on the operating table with a plaga grafting to it), he remarks (in written text), "Sucks to be him," or something like that.

Now that's douchey, lol. Was the Japanese version similarly apathetic toward the victims of Saddler's experiments?

REV1's plot is butchered by the localization too. There's a reference to TRICELL masterminding the entire game's events but it's replaced by claiming that the BSAA's founders are evil.
Huh? didn't remember that.

I still want to know who the other founders are besides Chris & Jill.

News Bot

Banned
Nah, when people start taking the lore of RE games seriously thats when I check out.

It's been like that since the first game, even REmake couldn't leave out the cheese and it makes the games better and the characters feel like they have more definition.

I dont need a super serious resident evil and I dont think anyone would really enjoy it.

So what cheese did REmake have? The series has literally always been super serious, with the sole exception of the first game's English translation. The fourth game was also totally serious with the exception of Leon's exaggerated dialogue.

Yeah, well, like I said, it all depends on how you want to take the story. For one side, it's "butchering", for another it's "injecting personality." All depends on how you chose to look at it. I think it's unfair really, to try and devalue one view over the other when both have been, to some degree, accepted by various groups.

It is devalued as soon as it causes needless contradictions, whether it be with plot details or characterizations.

There is a mod that replaces the main outfit with it if you don't want to go through the trouble of that.

Thanks, found it.

Finally finished episode 3. This game man... This here is what modern RE should be, this is RE done right.
This game will easily make it into my goty list, it's simply superb.
What a treat for RE fans.

News Bot

Banned
Huh? didn't remember that.

I still want to know who the other founders are besides Chris & Jill.

Here.

Official Localization said:
As our genetic mapping of the new virus (The Abyss) neared completion, the Global Pharmaceutical Consortium offered the assistance of their research branch via their contacts in an unnamed country.

What it actually says. said:
When the gene analysis of the newly-discovered virus neared completion, an international pharmaceutical company's research institute offered cooperation through the route of a certain national organization. They suggested a development experiment on an improved virus strain, incorporating a viral weapon named the t-Virus into The Abyss.

The Global Pharmaceutical Consortium (a mistranslation in itself) is the founding organization of the BSAA. The only shared kanji is "pharmaceutical" so it's not an easy mistake to make if you're actually paying attention to what you're doing. TRICELL is a member of the GPC, but so are many other companies, and Chris and Jill don't bat an eye despite their employers being implicated. In the original Japanese, its identity is vague, so there's nothing they could do about it.

Question about RE4 localization:

In the English version of RE4, when Leon observes the victims of experiments in the lab (i.e. the corpse on the operating table with a plaga grafting to it), he remarks (in written text), "Sucks to be him," or something like that.

Now that's douchey, lol. Was the Japanese version similarly apathetic toward the victims of Saddler's experiments?

Leon is horrified in most of those examine texts.

The English version? I don't see how "one second later and you'd fit nicely into a sandwich" is any better than "you'd have been a Jill sandwich."

In BIO1 the line is just "you were almost a sandwich." Which is referenced by Claire in REV2's Japanese script as "I was almost a sandwich." I don't find it particularly humorous like this, it's appropriate. "Jill sandwich" is just weird.

Shauni

It is devalued as soon as it causes needless contradictions, whether it be with plot details or characterizations.

Well, that's your side of it, as I said. As I think is fair to see by this thread, not everyone agrees. Whether you, or anyone, likes it or not, there's been a dual evolution of Resident Evil's tone and characterization. It's fine to prefer one or the other, but really, I think it's not something to be particularly dogmatic about. There's no reason both can't co-exist for those who enjoy them.

Ralemont

not me
In BIO1 the line is just "you were almost a sandwich." Which is referenced by Claire in REV2's Japanese script as "I was almost a sandwich." I don't find it particularly humorous like this, it's appropriate. "Jill sandwich" is just weird.

Not in the English script it wasn't, which I am reading as the context for the user's post that you quoted.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I enjoy the cheese while taking the lore seriously. I guess I'm alone in that.

No, you're like me. I like the 'cheesy' characters more than their properly translated counterparts, but I like the properly translated lore compared to the localization lore. But I'm a person who likes a lot of different things, and can appreciate both some hammy qualities in my horror, as well as a more serious approach. But for RE, maybe because I grew up with it but also I think it's more entertaining and I feel the characters have more personal touches in localization, I prefer their cheesy selfs. I feel in the properly translated selves don't come off as quirky or enjoyable, which is a quality I like about them, and like the reoccuring gags and character traits that happen through the series in localization. But I like some of the plot threads and lore elements that the localization doesn't bring up as well. I think the proper translation is more focused on lore, the localization is more focused on the characters, some may disagree with that assessment, but I prefer it somewhere in the middle with the quirkier characters and the more serious lore.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

Nah, I'm the same way. I appreciate the faithfully translated source material, but also have fun with the problematic NA localization. They are both great for different reasons IMO

Ralemont

not me
No, you're like me. I like the 'cheesy' characters more than their properly translated counterparts, but I like the properly translated lore compared to the localization lore. But I'm a person who likes a lot of different things, and can appreciate both some hammy qualities in my horror, as well as a more serious approach. But for RE, maybe because I grew up with it but also I think it's more entertaining and I feel the characters have more personal touches in localization, I prefer their cheesy selfs. I feel in the properly translated selves don't come off as quirky or enjoyable, which is a quality I like about them, and like the reoccuring gags and character traits that happen through the series in localization. But I like some of the plot threads and lore elements that the localization doesn't bring up as well. I think the proper translation is more focused on lore, the localization is more focused on the characters, some may disagree with that assessment, but I prefer it somewhere in the middle with the quirkier characters and the more serious lore.

I agree. If there's some lore or plot point I'm confused about, I appreciate the Japanese script. But until there's a problem I prefer the localization. From what I've read of the Japanese lines in this game, it's highly unlikely I'd like Moira as much if they had done a literal translation.

Manu

Couldn't have said it better myself.

News Bot

Banned
The localization is not "focused" on anything. They are rush jobs at the best of times. Characters are inconsistent with every appearance and their motivations, goals, personalities etc are missing if not changed through incompetence. The translators are mostly there for a paycheck, they're not particularly attentive or even care.

Take BIO2 for instance. How many people know that Birkin's goal was to use the G-Virus to promote human evolution?

I'm a bit torn. Most cases I don't like the cheesiness, but in the past few games it has somewhat removed me from the game when they cross the line that has somehow formed in my head.

Just depends on whether the execution pays off me or not in regards to the specific character subject to it. Jill is one of those that cheese territory is something of a no-go from her or her handling, which is why the whole mind-control thing of RE5 didn't work for me.

As far as localizations...I've never seen the script differences outside of some snippets from News Bot and some old sites back in the day.

Seyavesh

in regards to what sparked the whole discussion:
i think moira's english dialogue is tacky, which hurts arguments for a cornball RE script to some degree when trying to hold her up as an example of it's success.
it's lacking that honest charm to it that most of the other cornball lines have (see every single line leon says in re4, "do you get all your ideas from comic book villains?", barry's dadjokes). the excessive cursing and absurd phrasing feel really forced, especially when it's inserted into scenarios that have some form of dramatic tension to them (
see episode 3's "jump on a dildo, boss!" right after having to confront her PTSD from almost killing her own sister while unloading a pistol into someone's head
)

it hurts the game as the insertion of these types of lines in the inappropriate places have the effect of making moira potentially grating to the player's enjoyment of the atmosphere/story. it feels like vulgarity for the sake of vulgarity rather than character building at that point, ultimately detracting from the story itself due to the juvenile image it paints on the writer(s) and their story

i'll also add that i love cornball stuff a lot. pretty much all of claire and barry's stupid jokes are amusing to me. it's just stuff like
having a character focus on having a catchphrase of "balls" for no apparent reason besides adding a catchphrase
that bugs me since it falls into that category of detracting from the writer's competence rather than adding to the characters in any positive manner (in terms of player impression)

Ricker

For those on the PS4 that had trouble upgrading to season pass after buying just the first episode....has that problem been fixed yet?

Yes...

Damn,I thought turning one of the cranks or spluiser or whatever Natalia calls them(she says she's the Master lol)in Claire's part would leave the gate open for Barry but no,its even worst,its broken in Barry's part and I can't get the shotgun behind it...lame. ;)

Neiteio

in regards to what sparked the whole discussion:
i think moira's english dialogue is tacky, which hurts arguments for a cornball RE script to some degree when trying to hold her up as an example of it's success.
it's lacking that honest charm to it that most of the other cornball lines have (see every single line leon says in re4, "do you get all your ideas from comic book villains?", barry's dadjokes). the excessive cursing and absurd phrasing feel really forced, especially when it's inserted into scenarios that have some form of dramatic tension to them (
see episode 3's "jump on a dildo, boss!" right after having to confront her PTSD from almost killing her own sister while unloading a pistol into someone's head
)

it hurts the game as the insertion of these types of lines in the inappropriate places have the effect of making moira potentially grating to the player's enjoyment of the atmosphere/story. it feels like vulgarity for the sake of vulgarity rather than character building at that point, ultimately detracting from the story itself due to the juvenile image it paints on the writer(s) and their story

i'll also add that i love cornball stuff a lot. pretty much all of claire and barry's stupid jokes are amusing to me. it's just stuff like
having a character focus on having a catchphrase of "balls" for no apparent reason besides adding a catchphrase
that bugs me since it falls into that category of detracting from the writer's competence rather than adding to the characters in any positive manner (in terms of player impression)
I thought the swearing was tacky in Episode 1, but subsequent episodes showed Moira is self-aware of her swearing (even trying to clean it up around Natalia) and clearly suggests much of her current juvenile attitude was her way of sticking it to her dad. It's good character development, even the line she says at the end of the Episode 3 boss fight, which carries the same spirit of rebellion (and thus characterization) as her standing up to her dad. She's defying the fears that once shackled her, with a figurative "fuck you" (and a literal "jump on a dildo").

As for Pedro saying "balls," I consider that a genius touch. Straight-up. Characters need idiosyncratic touches, otherwise they're homogenized and same-y, and the touches don't have to be "agreeable" to be the right choice. When Pedro turns, and continues to say "balls, balls, balls" while in monster form, it's both bitter and sweet. You're seeing the last vestiges of humanity in a good person turned bad, while at the same time getting some levity with your horror, which most horror fans will agree is always a good combination.

News Bot

Banned
I will say one thing, this series is great if you want to learn Japanese. Not only is most of it written rather simply, but comparing it to the official localizations allows you to easily see what mistakes can be made and how not to go wrong. It's certainly helped me get a grip on the language due in part to the fact that I love the story and going through the Japanese is the only way to get a consistent version.

joe2187

Banned
I will say one thing, this series is great if you want to learn Japanese. Not only is most of it written rather simply, but comparing it to the official localizations allows you to easily see what mistakes can be made and how not to go wrong. It's certainly helped me get a grip on the language due in part to the fact that I love the story and going through the Japanese is the only way to get a consistent version.

How do I say "Moist barrel of fucks" in japanese?

This is vital information.

11043438_10155280968955632_1038095666292620712_o.jpg

Will start with RE first, very excited after all the praise I've heard in the past 3 weeks.

Akibared

Claire treats Neil like an average joe in the game's opening. Episode 2 she's pretty much indifferent towards him, no different from anyone else she interacts with. Episode 3 and suddenly she's head over heels. It's inconsistent at best.

I'm a little late with this but Claire got really excited when Gabe mentioned Neil so it's not really surprising that you find out how she feels.

What does it say under the title of RE? Run set or something?

Did EU get these early or did they ship super early, because I think I've heard of a lot of EUer getting Type-0 early.

Looks like Box Set. Which is a little unnecessary IMO if there are no other retail versions of the game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
You can bet I'll be posting impressions of Japanese ep 3 as soon as I get the chance. Been busy lately.

Neiteio

Just wanted to say: Revenants are awesome. Probably one of the best RE enemies in quite some time.

I realized this while playing Barry's Episode 3. I feel tense whenever one appears. I mean, I know how to dispatch them easily enough, including one-hit kills with stealth and firebombs. But I still feel tense.

I think it's their erratic movement I find so unnerving — the way they rearrange their limbs so their weakpoint is harder to hit, and how they can switch between walking on two legs and four, rushing the player during the latter. There's also something unnerving about the cicada-like droning that signals their presence, and the fact their head is actually two noggins spliced together — so when they're biting you, there are two sets of teeth chomping at your jugular!

Stitching together multiple body parts (including two arms conjoined into one) is creepy in itself, but then you add in the metal implements — a spear for one hand, some rebar for another. One wonders if
Alex Wesker
stitched them together from various bits and pieces in the time following
her descent into madness
. After all, look at all the
sewn-together dolls and mannequins
in the tower hall. There seems to be a fascination with crude construction.

The fact that Revenants have several variants adds to their appeal. You have the spear-handed variant, the heavily armored one, and the acid-splashing variant. Uncovering their weakpoints, hitting their weakpoints as they move about, dealing with their bipedal and quadrupedal stances, exploiting their patrol routines or susceptibility to fire... They're just interesting enemies all-around.

And they can be downright terrifying in Raid, especially when invisible exploding ones start appearing. o_O

So here's to you, Revenant:

OniBaka

Couldn't resist and ended up getting ep1 only. I was planning to get retail copy only but I'm hearing such good things that I couldn't wait so hopefully ep1 is enough until retail have them.

Not at all. I enjoy the details of the RE canon, but still enjoy (and prefer) how they're portrayed in English, regardless of whether or not said cheese is intentional or misguided.

Couldn't resist and ended up getting ep1 only. I was planning to get retail copy only but I'm hearing such good things that I couldn't wait so hopefully ep1 is enough until retail have them.

This is pretty much what I did. Between the extra modes to play the first episode in and Raid Mode, you get more than your money's worth in Episode 1. Makes waiting for the physical release a lot more bearable.

Top Bottom