• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Neiteio

ep3 boss spoiler discussion above and below
apparently she just says some plain line using "kusoyaro" which is like "piece of shit" when the rest of the game she hadn't been swearing at all (instead of swearing a lot she just says 'saiyaku' a lot which is like 'this is the worst/this really sucks)

interestingly the lines where Claire refuses to doubt Neil in English are radically different in Japanese- when Moira brings up the bracelet instead of going 'no. it can't be Neil.' she goes "that is suspicious". also the boyfriend teaser line is apparently totally different too though the guy I was watching didn't mention what the Japanese line was- just that it had absolutely nothing to do with boyfriend or relationship teasing.

the Japanese script is reeaallly played seriously and like every single joke and char quirk in the English script don't exist apparently. like pedro's obsession with using the word balls is nonexistent- he just says more plain dialogue
Man, the Japanese script sounds incredibly dull. Thank goodness for localization. :)

foxdvd

For those on the PS4 that had trouble upgrading to season pass after buying just the first episode....has that problem been fixed yet?

Grisby

So you only have to max level a skill before you can transfer it to another character right? Even though I've got a 70 something Claire I haven't really tried mixing skill. But I want her to have that
KATANA AW YEAH
so all I have to do is get it up to lvl 10 right?

Also, this whole game has been a great time. Each episode feels like its getting better and better. Definitely a better experience than the first revelations and 6, as far as SP campaigns go.
I wish Capcom allowed us to record the scene at the end of Claire Episode 3... I want to take screenshots of it.
That was really strange. I was wanting to take screenies too.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
So you only have to max level a skill before you can transfer it to another character right? Even though I've got a 70 something Claire I haven't really tried mixing skill. But I want her to have that
KATANA AW YEAH
so all I have to do is get it up to lvl 10 right?

Also, this whole game has been a great time. Each episode feels like its getting better and better. Definitely a better experience than the first revelations and 6, as far as SP campaigns go.

That was really strange. I was wanting to take screenies too.

You have to max it, and then there's an additional "inherit" cost to make it available to others. For Katana it's 55 SP (I think)? All told about 34 levels or so (less if you do other things like get achievement medals for SP).

& totally worth it for Moira IMO. It's a great skill

Grisby

You have to max it, and then there's an additional "inherit" cost to make it available to others. For Katana it's 55 SP (I think)? All told about 34 levels or so (less if you do other things like get achievement medals for SP).

& totally worth it for Moira IMO. It's a great skill
Oh man, you have to pay on top of maxing it out eh? Bummer, but yeah, getting to 34 shouldn't be too hard.

Neiteio

What aspects are better or in any case outstanding in your opinion, especially compared to RER1?
RER2 thoroughly explores a single location, whereas RER1 bounced between multiple locations with its different sets of characters. I thought that worked well enough to keep the experience varied and fresh in RER1, but the way RER2 handles its single location makes it feel more fleshed out in the end.

Barry and Natalia take alternate routes and come across all-new areas, but even when they pass through familiar territory, they have to navigate it differently (i.e. Natalia squeezing through small holes). And now the power might be out... It's a different time of the day or night... The weather has changed... And the monsters are all-new, since it's a certain period of time later, and things have changed on the island.

And the actions of Claire and Moira affect what happens to Barry and Natalia. For example, a door you prop open with Claire remains open when you play as Barry. If you didn't prop open that door, Barry will have to find an alternate route. Another example: If you clear a certain sequence with Claire without using a trap, Barry will be able to shortcut through that area. And if you beat a certain boss as Claire, rather than running away from it, Barry won't have to deal with that boss later. He'll also retrieve an item earlier that will give him access to an extra area. And so on.

The characterization is great. All of the main characters are genuinely likable. There is plenty of mystery and intrigue. -Tons- of lore connections to past REs. Lots of twists and turns, each episode ending with a tantalizing cliffhanger. The narrative strikes just the right blend of levity and horror. The game has a genuine sweet side.

The core mechanics are excellent, although it will may take a moment to find the right camera speed. Set "Fast Camera" to "Standard," for starters. I love the controls — fast and fluid, somewhere between the tightness of RE4 and RE5 and the looseness of RE6. You have less mobility options compared to RE6, but compared to RER1, the dedicated dodge button in RER2 is a huge improvement, allowing you to deftly sidestep in all four directions, anywhere at any time, ducking and weaving past enemies that lunge and jump and stab and swing. And the shooting is snappy and precise. Take note that you can switch to a laser pointer in the Options.

The game looks great. Wonderful attention to detail in the environments, giving them an authentic lived-in feel. And they're structured to serve the pacing, which is perhaps the game's best asset. Enemy frequency never becomes overbearing. Very mild puzzles are sprinkled through the first two episodes, but then the third episode has more puzzles than the entirety of RE4, RE5 and RE6 combined (and RER1, come to think of it). They're becoming truly clever, with one graveyard puzzle being a standout.

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say, this game is well-worth your time and money. I'd even recommend picking it up now so you can be caught up for the finale next week. :)

kamineko

Oh man, you have to pay on top of maxing it out eh? Bummer, but yeah, getting to 34 shouldn't be too hard.

Honestly, the worst part was getting him to level 8 so he could carry a gun.

My next project is giving Moira Leon's "Savor the Moment," which stacks with the sword. Maybe in the next day or so.

Haunted

the Japanese script is reeaallly played seriously and like every single joke and char quirk in the English script don't exist apparently. like pedro's obsession with using the word balls is nonexistent- he just says more plain dialogue
wait.

WAIT A SECOND.

Is Resident Evil actually one of those Japanese series where the audience thinks it's great, dramatic writing... while the rest of the world laughs and just assumes that the devs are hamming it up, because no one actually thinks that shit should be taken seriously?

kinda like metal gear solid

News Bot

Banned
wait.

WAIT A SECOND.

Is Resident Evil actually one of those Japanese series where the audience thinks it's great, dramatic writing... while the rest of the world laughs and just assumes that the devs are hamming it up, because no one actually thinks that shit should be taken seriously?

Exactly like that. Well, almost. This series suffers from sheer incompetence in translation more than anything. The amount of supposed plot holes and retcons is unparalleled, and not a single one of them exist in the original Japanese scenarios. The dialogue is pretty much always worse in the English translations because the translators are bad at both writing and translating.

Man, the Japanese script sounds incredibly dull. Thank goodness for localization. :)

Moira's dialogue is fucking abysmal and the skewered characterizations that make the characters douchebags inconsistent with previous depictions are not worth one or two jokes that rely on mistranslations to get in the first place.

Neiteio

wait.

WAIT A SECOND.

It would seem that's the case, lol.

Neiteio

Moira's dialogue is fucking abysmal and the skewered characterizations that make the characters douchebags inconsistent with previous depictions are not worth one or two jokes that rely on mistranslations to get in the first place.
I like Moira's dialogue. She's an angsty college-age kid with daddy issues and a rebellious streak. And I can't think of any moments where I thought the main characters were acting douchey. They seem genuinely concerned about the well-being of others.

News Bot

Banned
I like Moira's dialogue. She's an angsty college-age kid with daddy issues and a rebellious streak. And I can't think of any moments where I thought the main characters were acting douchey. They seem genuinely concerned about the well-being of others.

Nobody talks like that. It's cringe-worthy trash and I feel embarrassed for whoever wrote it. Claire is more concerned with getting dick in the English version than anything else in Episode 3.

Neiteio

Nobody talks like that. It's cringe-worthy trash and I feel embarrassed for whoever wrote it. Claire is more concerned with getting dick in the English version than anything else in Episode 3.
"More concerned with getting dick?" Uh, she just comes off as having some feelings for a certain someone. Like actual feelings. Not mere lust. I think feeling some attachment to the person you're trying to save is more interesting.

Yes, Moira is pretty extreme with her words. "Jump on a dildo," "moist barrel of fucks," etc. But I know teenagers who talk like that. Her characterization doesn't seem out of place, especially given the context of her upbringing (doing anything and everything to irk her dad after their falling out).

Just my two cents.

Ralemont

not me
Nobody talks like that. It's cringe-worthy trash and I feel embarrassed for whoever wrote it.

Disagree. I like Moira. And yes, people do talk like that in real life.

Claire is more concerned with getting dick in the English version than anything else in Episode 3.

Uh, I didn't get that at all. Sorry.
There are only slight romantic undertones to the whole thing, and once it became obvious Neil turned she took care of business like the badass she is. She don't need no man.

News Bot

Banned
"More concerned with getting dick?" Uh, she just comes off as having some feelings for a certain someone. Like actual feelings. Not mere lust. I think feeling some attachment to the person you're trying to save is more interesting.

And Moira is pretty extreme with her words. "Jump on a dildo," "moist barrel of fucks," etc. But I know teenagers who talk like that. Her characterization doesn't seem out of place.

Just my two cents.

She basically tells Moira to shut the fuck up at the very suggestion that he's a little suspect. That is desperation and completely out of character for her, especially when there's no hint of feelings anywhere else in the game. It comes completely out of left field.

I've never met anyone who talks like that and I was a teenager not very long ago. Let's say some people do talk like that... it's cringy in real life and it's cringy in fiction. Still shitty dialogue no matter how you try and rationalize it. Completely unnecessary and if Moira ever appears again, rest assured that she'll have a completely different personality because the translators in this series don't understand consistency.

Uh, I didn't get that at all. Sorry.

"Neil needs me."
"No, that's not possible. Stop talking about it." (to the suggestion that Neil is a bit off)

Really? They're not even slightly vague about it. All they're missing is admission.

Neiteio

Yeah, I'm still puzzled how News Bot is getting "slutty" vibes from Claire. Her possibly having feelings for someone doesn't make her a douchebag.

Also, regarding Moira's swearing, the English script does it in self-aware fashion. There are bits where Moira complains about her dad "granny swearing," suggesting her own swearing is another way she gets under his skin. She seems aware she's foul-mouthed, apologizing and cleaning up her language when around Natalia. And in a humorous twist, even Barry nearly swears in front of Natalia, given the situation.

Details such as those show the swearing was self-aware and not a thoughtless addition. It's characterization that works to add some levity and humanity to the characters, making them more relatable than their apparently ultra-reserved Japanese counterparts.

Ralemont

not me
She basically tells Moira to shut the fuck up at the very suggestion that he's a little suspect. That is desperation and completely out of character for her, especially when there's no hint of feelings anywhere else in the game. It comes completely out of left field.

That's not purely out of any sort of feelings for Neil. Neil is the leader of Terra Save, the company whose ideals embody what Claire wants. The thought that this would be betrayed makes her very angry and confused. As she says in the fight, "Terra Save was meant to save people! It's in the God damn name!"

I've never met anyone who talks like that and I was a teenager not very long ago. Let's say some people do talk like that... it's cringy in real life and it's cringy in fiction. Still shitty dialogue no matter how you try and rationalize it. Completely unnecessary and if Moira ever appears again, rest assured that she'll have a completely different personality because the translators in this series don't understand consistency.

I'm sure those people would read your posts and not think too highly of the way you talk, either. So it goes.

Neiteio

"Neil needs me."
"No, that's not possible. Stop talking about it." (to the suggestion that Neil is a bit off)

Really? They're not even slightly vague about it. All they're missing is admission.
Claire looks up to him. She admires him as a professional. She admires him as someone who shares her cause. And on a personal level, she's interested in him. They have some chemistry. She has unflinching faith in him. That this blinds her judgment, again, does not make her a douchebag. It doesn't make her "lustful." It makes her human, prone to attachment, and hopeful for a connection (not unreasonable in her line of work). I think it's an excellent detail that adds a bit of drama to the proceedings. And Claire later acknowledges that
she should've listened to Moira

News Bot

Banned
Yeah, I'm still puzzled how News Bot is getting "slutty" vibes from Claire. Her possibly having feelings for someone doesn't make her a douchebag.

Also, regarding Moira's swearing, the English script does it in self-aware fashion. There are bits where Moira complains about her dad "granny swearing," suggesting her own swearing is another way she gets under his skin. She seems aware she's foul-mouthed, apologizing and cleaning up her language when around Natalia. And in a humorous twist, even Barry nearly swears in front of Natalia, given the situation.

Details such as those show the swearing was self-aware and not a thoughtless addition. It's characterization that works to add some levity and humanity to the characters, making them more relatable than their apparently ultra-reserved Japanese counterparts.

It does when she ignores a lost girl in favor of chasing the guy she has obvious feelings for. Seriously. It's not a matter of hints.

You can be self aware without relying on shitty dialogue. There's nothing relatable about a guy quoting mistranslations from a 20 year old game, if anything it detracts from the story because it's very obviously written seriously, then all of a sudden "hey remember that translator who couldn't understand English? What a guy!"

That's not purely out of any sort of feelings for Neil. Neil is the leader of Terra Save, the company whose ideals embody what Claire wants. The thought that this would be betrayed makes her very angry and confused. As she says in the fight, "Terra Save was meant to save people! It's in the God damn name!"

This is not what the English version conveys, at all. It's very explicit about Claire having feelings for him.

Ralemont

not me
This is not what the English version conveys, at all. It's very explicit about Claire having feelings for him.

The word explicit does not mean what you think it means, then.

You can read whatever you want into the English version, but if you're suggesting that Claire cares more about Neil than Terra Save, then you misunderstand both her translated and untranslated characterization.

News Bot

Banned
Claire looks up to him. She admires him as a professional. She admires him as someone who shares her cause. And on a personal level, she's interested in him. They have some chemistry. She has unflinching faith in him. That this blinds her judgment, again, does not make her a douchebag. It doesn't make her "lustful." It makes her human, prone to attachment, and hopeful for a connection (not unreasonable in her line of work). I think it's an excellent detail that adds a bit of drama to the proceedings. And Claire later acknowledges that
she should've listened to Moira

The Japanese version conveys this just fine and even better. "That doesn't sound like Neil" is far more understandable than the frustrated "STOP ACCUSING HIM MOIRA JESUS." Claire has no reason to be "unflinching" with him considering she has experienced betrayal first hand and has perfect reason to suspect him. Instead she just tells Moira to stop talking.

Ralemont

not me
The Japanese version conveys this just fine and even better. "That doesn't sound like Neil" is far more understandable than the frustrated "STOP ACCUSING HIM MOIRA JESUS."

That was a badly translated line, though, all other things considered. The conversation doesn't flow naturally. A better translation would have been something like, "So what? What are you trying to say?"

kamineko

Just read jim sterling review of Episode 3

who the fuck pissed in his cornflakes, he's so offended by it it's absurd.

Yeah I just posted it in the review thread earlier. I had the same take you did. You'd think the episode was just three hours of moving boxes around

Neiteio

News Bot, before I got any further, I just want to make clear I'm not diminishing you in any way for your stance. I respect you and admire your passion for the source material.

It does when she ignores a lost girl in favor of chasing the guy she has obvious feelings for. Seriously. It's not a matter of hints.
I didn't see it that way. Natalia was still on Claire's mind. "She probably took cover. We'll look for her along the way." But again, it appears she had been nursing some feelings for Neil. Anyone can become a bit tunnel-visioned when it comes to love. You have to imagine that after what she's gone through there would be some longing on that front.

News Bot said:
Yeah, she has feelings for Neil. But she clearly believes in the TerraSave cause. She didn't join because she thinks Neil is hot. She believes in the cause, and she believes in him as someone who champions that cause. That unflinching faith is one of the fixed points that keeps her going. When the newbie starts to cast doubt on him, the one person she thought she could trust, she naturally resists it. Especially since she likes Neil as a person, too.

Seyavesh

what i want to know is if the tone difference exists in RE4 since the game only has english voiced dialogue

i really wonder if stuff like leon's corny "your right hand comes off?" or other similar lines ("no thanks, bro") were translated to be serious/meant to be serious when proceeding jokes play off that dialogue (see leon knifing salazar's right hand)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Played through the 3 episodes available so far (whilst suffering with vertigo, that's an experience I tells ya :p ) and this is easily the best Resi Evil since 4 and I say this as a fan of 5 and 6. Really well done so far and I'm really liking all the main characters. The only thing I'm missing that there seems to be no exploding heads/headshots for some reason :( Miss those crunchy cranial explosions.

DVCY201

We're defending the English localization for this game? What. Judging from what I've read, I think the Japanese script is way better.

It's the same as RE4, where Leon gets a different personality. Changing a few things, or adding some quips here and there is fine. But whole entire lines and characters? Ehhh, not for me.

Neiteio

I just noticed that the new monster in Barry's Chapter 3 has a "head" made of many, many other heads melded together. o_O

Man, such a great creature. That first encounter is so good. I'll nickname it "Dodging: The Boss."

Manu

I just noticed that the new monster in Barry's Chapter 3 has a "head" made of many, many other heads melded together. o_O

Man, such a great creature. That first encounter is so good. I'll nickname it "Dodging: The Boss."

Its OHK attack got me twice. I actually died a lot more times in this episode than the previous two combined, 9 (!) times with Claire and 5 with Barry (got killed by Glasps a couple times before Natalia joins you back at the gate. I'd switch to Barry and BOOM, instakill.)

Shauni

We're defending the English localization for this game? What. Judging from what I've read, I think the Japanese script is way better.

I think it comes down to how seriously you want to take the game's story. The Japanese script seems to play it straight, while the English one is a little more tongue-in-cheek.

Neiteio

Its OHK attack got me twice. I actually died a lot more times in this episode than the previous two combined, 9 (!) times with Claire and 5 with Barry (got killed by Glasps a couple times before Natalia joins you back at the gate.)
Ironically, its OHKO attack got me in the second encounter. when you have plenty of room to avoid it, haha.

Ralemont

not me
After beating it last night, am I right to think that the best way to handle Claire's boss is to switch to whatever character the boss is focusing on so you can dodge appropriately?

Also, I kind of feel like Claire should have regenerating health like Moira does when you aren't controlling her, given how underwhelming the AI's dodging is.

Neiteio

After beating it last night, am I right to think that the best way to handle Claire's boss is to switch to whatever character the boss is focusing on so you can dodge appropriately?

Also, I kind of feel like Claire should have regenerating health like Moira does when you aren't controlling her.
I just replayed that boss yesterday.

- Play as Moira and keep shining your light on him, in between dodging his attacks
- When he burns up, switch to Claire and fire away at his weak point
- If you get cornered with one character, switch to the other

Works like a charm.

News Bot

Banned
News Bot, before I got any further, I just want to make clear I'm not diminishing you in any way for your stance. I respect you and admire your passion for the source material.

I didn't see it that way. Natalia was still on Claire's mind. "She probably took cover. We'll look for her along the way." But again, it appears she had been nursing some feelings for Neil. Anyone can become a bit tunnel-visioned when it comes to love. You have to imagine that after what she's gone through there would be some longing on that front.

Yeah, she has feelings for Neil. But she clearly believes in the TerraSave cause. She didn't join because she thinks Neil is hot. She believes in the cause, and she believes in him as someone who champions that cause. That unflinching faith is one of the fixed points that keeps her going. When the newbie starts to cast doubt on him, the one person she thought she could trust, she naturally resists it. Especially since she likes Neil as a person, too.

Claire's character has been established as extremely maternal, to the point where it rubbed off on another character. If given the choice she would always choose the lost little girl and not the armed guy. I'd be interested to know what she really said at the start of the episode. The scene where she actually meets Natalia was completely butchered in the English version. It makes it look as though Claire doesn't know how to interact with kids, by basically interrogating Natalia. In the Japanese, she is much softer and motherly, but that's what Natalia doesn't like. Natalia responded better to being treated like a sister rather than being smothered. The English version just makes it look like Claire is shit with kids.

Claire treats Neil like an average joe in the game's opening. Episode 2 she's pretty much indifferent towards him, no different from anyone else she interacts with. Episode 3 and suddenly she's head over heels. It's inconsistent at best.

what i want to know is if the tone difference exists in RE4 since the game only has english voiced dialogue

i really wonder if stuff like leon's corny "your right hand comes off?" or other similar lines ("no thanks, bro") were translated to be serious/meant to be serious when proceeding jokes play off that dialogue (see leon knifing salazar's right hand)

The right hand comment in particular is the same in Japanese. Mikami added humor to Leon to make his six year government agent experience more obvious, but the translator added much more thinking Mikami was being self-aware... he wasn't. The game's anti-American sentiment was also added by the translator.

What aspects are better or in any case outstanding in your opinion, especially compared to RER1?

RE5 & REV1 are actually 2 of my favorites after the RE1s,
This game is honestly making aspects of them seem like complete shit.

This game actually feels bigger and more integrated than RE4,5(everything pre-Wesker.),6,Rev1.

And then on the Raid side instead of limited maps and characters they gave people what they wanted by adding irrelevant Chris, Jill, Leon and Wesker.
as well as throwing in maps from RE6 that really weren't needed but nice additions, just need a Ghost Ship now.

joe2187

Banned

It's the same as RE4, where Leon gets a different personality. Changing a few things, or adding some quips here and there is fine. But whole entire lines and characters? Ehhh, not for me.

Cheesy one liner, early 90's action movie hero/herione star RE is canon RE.

Ralemont

not me
I just replayed that boss yesterday.

- Play as Moira and keep shining your light on him, in between dodging his attacks
- When he burns up, switch to Claire and fire away at his weak point
- If you get cornered with one character, switch to the other

Works like a charm.

Yeah, the issue I have there is that if Claire gets hit her health doesn't regen. And she tended to get hit more than a few times. :/

What I ended up doing was:

If the boss is going after Claire, use Claire to make him blow up the generators to set himself on fire (since that also opens his weak point)

If he's focusing on Moira use the light while dodging.

It may take longer but it felt safer than using Moira all the time.

Neiteio

Claire's character has been established as extremely maternal, to the point where it rubbed off on another character. If given the choice she would always choose the lost little girl and not the armed guy. I'd be interested to know what she really said at the start of the episode.

Claire treats Neil like an average joe in the game's opening. Episode 2 she's pretty much ambivalent towards him, no different from anyone else she interacts with. Episode 3 and suddenly she's head over heels. It's inconsistent at best.
I don't think that's necessarily inconsistent (the "head over heels" bit). A person she cares about is in trouble, so she drops the pretense and facade and you see her true colors regarding that person.

I will say, though, I'm not familiar enough with Claire's character, prior to this game, to say whether I think it's inconsistent where the maternal angle is concerned. I'll take your word on that.

Top Bottom