• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

Eurocult said:
JbZPl.jpg

Feels good
how do you do that?
how to make a folder called RESIDENT EVIL on PS3??

Cruzader

Banned
Napalm_Frank said:
1st=chapter 3-1
2nd=chapter 4-1
3rd=chapter 4-2
4th=chapter 5-1
Wait so are we supposed to beat each one on those minigames levels? I never understood the point btw. So for each of the levels that have the minigame, we have to get 4000+ to win all the caps for that particular level?(ex: castle)

I though that on 5-1, you can replay all the other "sub-levels" for example 3-1 through 4-2 minigames there. I made a second save file on 5-1 so Im guessing that was pointless as I have to go through each level and beat the minigames there and then.

BTW I beat the game today. My first time ever @27 Hours. The last boss was actually fun and not that hard. I'm a person that always hates the feeling around where you know you are about to face the boss and if its the first time, you dont know what you're gonna have to do to beat it. I guess a little trial by error did the job. Had no issues.

I have memories of my bro playing RE1-3 and bosses like Nemesis make me uneasy in that you face them mulitple times and they cant die till the end. Like thats scary in a sense that they are always waiting to attack and no matter how hard you try to kill them, they wont die. But in RE4, once you face a boss and kill it, they are done.

One minor thing I missed was
Killing the little spanish guy's body guard during the fight. I read the trophy and says to get rid of the guy's right hand man. So next time Ill get him but Im not sure how I missed him since when he takes monster form, midget and body guard merge? or something? Oh well

So for a new game, you guys recommend me playing Pro? And will I get my inventory from my Normal playthrough or would I have to beat Pro and then once that is done, play again but with all my past items from that specific play through?

PS: CVX goes off sale this tuesday, right? I may buy it just to have all of them plus RE5GE. Not a big RE fan but thats alot of content for cheap atm on PSN.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ladyboy101 said:
how do you do that?
Hit Triangle on a game, go to Info, and type a category name into the album slot. It'll make a folder and you can sort things as you wish.

Rolf NB

Separate ways has some really shitty amateur hour parts. Dat boat. Or that boss fight, you know which one.

Why do I even play carefully all the time just to have a cutscene place me way outside of cover, just when
a bunch of machine guns and cannons and a couple archer ganados
are ready to hit me dead before I can even turn around? Yeah I know what I have to do to live through this moment, but that doesn't make it any better.

Also way too much spawning enemies right behind me in an area I just cleared, far away from any door or other plausible entry points.

RE4 base is like the most carefully designed whole experience ever. SW is ... servicable. When you compare the two directly, it's really obvious that the spirit had already left the building.
Ladyboy101 said:
how do you do that?
Hit triangle on a game, hit "Information" and enter an album name. Games that you want in the same folder should have the same album name. When you're done, you toggle folder/flat view with the square button.

Davey Cakes

Rolf NB said:
RE4 base is like the most carefully designed whole experience ever. SW is ... servicable. When you compare the two directly, it's really obvious that the spirit had already left the building.
Agreed. And I'm pretty sure that has to do with the fact that it was basically the RE5 team that made Separate Ways. The aspects of SW that make it feel detached from the brilliance of the main game are basically what leaked into RE5, which is why so many people find RE5 merely acceptable.

It really is a lackluster, tacked-on experience. More compelling than Assignment Ada, but it was still completely unnecessary, even though it showed some new locations. RE4 was already a big enough game and it was already action-packed enough, but then SW just went too far especially with Chapter 4 and the boat/turret section. The new parts weren't special and the recycled parts were exactly that, recycled.

This is why there are people who say that the GC version of RE4 is superior to the PS2 version, even though it lacks the extras. Mere graphical effects actually added something to the base game, thus only increasing its brilliance. Adding to the main game to make it better > tacking on extra modes. Almost sounds ridiculous but when you consider how completely "meh" Separate Ways is, it's not so far fetched to think along these lines.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Napalm_Frank said:
Believe it or not, Riot Gun is actually more expensive to fully upgrade than Striker.
The riot gun is such a troll weapon. There is literally no reason to ever use it. The striker has the most firepower, capacity, cheapest to upgrade and takes up the least space. The riot gun has more range but in that case you might as well use the normal shotgun exclusive which destroys it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just wanna say the Castle is one of the best stages created ever. No idea why but I really like it. Plus the fact it has this awesome music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkUPc8XnNEQ

Cruzader said:
PS: CVX goes off sale this tuesday, right? I may buy it just to have all of them plus RE5GE. Not a big RE fan but thats alot of content for cheap atm on PSN.

Yup, better buy it before the $10 off expires this Tuesday.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
luka said:
The riot gun is such a troll weapon. There is literally no reason to ever use it. The striker has the most firepower, capacity, cheapest to upgrade and takes up the least space. The riot gun has more range but in that case you might as well use the normal shotgun exclusive which destroys it.

I guess the only drawback the Striker has that it starts off at the hip, where as the other shoties are head level from the get go, but the free 100 shotgun shells way more than make up for it.

cvxfreak

Rash said:
Agreed. And I'm pretty sure that has to do with the fact that it was basically the RE5 team that made Separate Ways. The aspects of SW that make it feel detached from the brilliance of the main game are basically what leaked into RE5, which is why so many people find RE5 merely acceptable.

It really is a lackluster, tacked-on experience. More compelling than Assignment Ada, but it was still completely unnecessary, even though it showed some new locations. RE4 was already a big enough game and it was already action-packed enough, but then SW just went too far especially with Chapter 4 and the boat/turret section. The new parts weren't special and the recycled parts were exactly that, recycled.

This is why there are people who say that the GC version of RE4 is superior to the PS2 version, even though it lacks the extras. Mere graphical effects actually added something to the base game, thus only increasing its brilliance. Adding to the main game to make it better > tacking on extra modes. Almost sounds ridiculous but when you consider how completely "meh" Separate Ways is, it's not so far fetched to think along these lines.

I really cannot agree with this assessment at all. I found Separate Ways to be quite addictive to play through because Ada controls quite differently from Leon. In fact, I really enjoy
the boss battle with "normal" Saddler more than most bosses in Leon's game
. Outside of the cutscenes, they really integrated it into the main game quite well. Its relationship with the main game felt like a throwback to RE2.

Sub-scenarios like RE2's 4th Survivor, RE4's Separate Ways and RE5's Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape are what I love about the RE series: they provide alternative scenarios that somewhat change gameplay dynamics while adding to the overall package. I hope Capcom continues this with RE6.

HeySeuss

So I played though the normal mode a second time in the hopes that I could unlock the handcannon as one of the websites listed this as a secondary way of unlocking it instead of 5 starring every character in mercenaries. But apparently thus is not the case. And since I'm not that good at mercenaries, I doubt that I will ever unlock it.

Needless to say, I was pretty bummed. Oh well, now to beat it on pro to unlock the plaga laser gun.

Is it worth it to get the handcannon? I saved my money on the second playthrough so I could fully upgrade it for unlimited ammo.

Curufinwe

Rash said:
It really is a lackluster, tacked-on experience. More compelling than Assignment Ada, but it was still completely unnecessary

I was only able to sleep soundly at night again once the fate of Leon's jacket was revealed in Separate Ways.

Shick Brithouse said:
So I played though the normal mode a second time in the hopes that I could unlock the handcannon as one of the websites listed this as a secondary way of unlocking it instead of 5 starring every character in mercenaries. But apparently thus is not the case. And since I'm not that good at mercenaries, I doubt that I will ever unlock it.

Needless to say, I was pretty bummed. Oh well, now to beat it on pro to unlock the plaga laser gun.

Is it worth it to get the handcannon? I saved my money on the second playthrough so I could fully upgrade it for unlimited ammo.

The handcannon is one of the coolest weapons in videogames, so yeah, it is worth it. Mercs can seem impossible at first, but if you watch some videos of expert runs on youtube you'll get a bunch of ideas that will make getting 60,000 with each character very doable.

Cruzader said:
One minor thing I missed was
Killing the little spanish guy's body guard during the fight. I read the trophy and says to get rid of the guy's right hand man. So next time Ill get him but Im not sure how I missed him since when he takes monster form, midget and body guard merge? or something? Oh well

So for a new game, you guys recommend me playing Pro? And will I get my inventory from my Normal playthrough or would I have to beat Pro and then once that is done, play again but with all my past items from that specific play through?

The right hand fight occurs much earlier, in the sewers.

You start again with just the handgun and some bullets on Pro.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Separate Ways was utter trash. Enemy placements were beyond lazy and often nonsensical (hey why not throw an enemy in here now!).

It was the thing before RE5 that made RE4 all the more special: it proved that RE4 wasn't just a series of pretty environments and randomly placed enemies, everything was there for a reason. It all mattered.

Dreamer RD

Is it worth it to get the handcannon?

Poor aiming and huge recoil. Completely useless garbage for speedruns. Good for fun only.
Best boss killers and overall best weapons are PRL and RPG-7 obviously

So I've been holding off on getting this because I'm waiting for the possibility of a disc release. I know the capcom guy Sven did say there wouldn't be one but as I recall didn't Ubisoft say the same thing about the Prince of persia trilogy?
Also the GTA DLC titles eventually found a disc release. Anyone heard any updates on the possibility of a disc release for RE4 or am I just wasting my time?

scitek

lucablight said:
So I've been holding off on getting this because I'm waiting for the possibility of a disc release. I know the capcom guy Sven did say there wouldn't be one but as I recall didn't Ubisoft say the same thing about the Prince of persia trilogy?
Also the GTA DLC titles eventually found a disc release. Anyone heard any updates on the possibility of a disc release for RE4 or am I just waiting my time?

Probably wasting your time. Even the Japanese version, which is a disc release, just installs the games to your hard drive just as if you downloaded them.

dustin

Neo Member
298079_2237676747821_1425060450_32191930_333012600_n.jpg

s'all you need.

Also, does anyone have a link (or is able to produce) an incredibly high res version of the re4 PAL boxart? I'd love you forever.

Rolf NB

Oh that Right Hand! On normal, I beat him the hard way first try without taking any damage. It felt so easy. I just dodged all of his attacks, did the thing, pumped him full of bullets and so on. Perfect execution. And now I've already been beaten twice on pro. Seriously contemplating the rocket launcher solution.

And I was so proud of myself after just offing the dual prisoners without taking damage in this round. I thought I had the game all figured out by now.

cvxfreak

Rez said:
Separate Ways was utter trash. Enemy placements were beyond lazy and often nonsensical (hey why not throw an enemy in here now!).

It was the thing before RE5 that made RE4 all the more special: it proved that RE4 wasn't just a series of pretty environments and randomly placed enemies, everything was there for a reason. It all mattered.
Interested in hearing more about why you feel this way because I completely disagree.

I think you guys are being too critical of SW and OA. When compared to the main game in RE4, they don't hold up very well. But what 3rd person action game released in that console generation did? Hell, there aren't very many that do even now. There aren't all that many games of any kind that are better than RE4 even today, in my opinion. And SW and OA are bonus content, so which games from that gen had bonus content that was better?

kuYuri

Playing with the mobster costume for Leon and armor for Ashley for first time since I only had GC version, lol at the armor. Also adorable when you point the gun at her and the helmet closes off.

BTW, weren't the unlockable costumes also supposed to show up in cutscenes? Could have sworn that was the case in GC version.

Curufinwe

Strider2K99 said:
Playing with the mobster costume for Leon and armor for Ashley for first time since I only had GC version, lol at the armor. Also adorable when you point the gun at her and the helmet closes off.

BTW, weren't the unlockable costumes also supposed to show up in cutscenes? Could have sworn that was the case in GC version.

The RPD/Pop star outfits show up in the GC, Wii and PS360 versions. Gansgster Leon and Armor Ashley never appear in any cutscenes.

The game definitely controlled a lot better in my memory :-(

No full camera control is a bit annoying. No sensitivity adjustment even more. Will probably hook up the Wii to see if it's my memory or if that game indeed controls much better.

Graphics look nice and sharp though.

I've been playing a lot of the PS3 version of RE4 lately. I'm liking it a lot, just as good as I remember it.

I'm playing through Separate Ways right now and I'm kind of appalled that they used the same prerendered cutscenes from the PS2 version upscaled to look even more horrifying. Would've been nice if they went back and rendered them in realtime.

Currently have Resident Evil 4 downloading on the 360...I hope the graphics somewhat impress me.

I’ve only had the Gamecube version (beaten it about 10) so all of the extra goodies should be good.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Seperate Ways was awesome, with the exception of the ship part. Aside from that, it was great. I don't understand the complaints even after I read them. Enemies are more agressive and it was a nice way to show the "other" side of the main story.

Magnus

Playing as Krauser is so much fun.

Every game needs to take a lesson from RE4 on new game+ modes and unlockable content. G'damn!

Magnus

Krauser was such a puss when I fought him on this 2011 playthrough. I think I'd always been doing the fight wrong when I played the game back in the day on the GC and the Wii. It just occurred me to use the knife this time, and the entire fight changed. Krauser would always just stroll up slowly if my knife was drawn, keep his defenses down and become such an easy target for a slash or two.

It was like the Knife strength was equivalent to a Magnum shot or something. Maybe that was the point and I only just got it six years later...hahaha.

The Mana Legend said:
Oh my God, I played Resident Evil 4 Mobile Edition and Resident Evil 4 iPad Edition yesterday.

I have never laughed so hard while playing a game. Ever. They were. So bad. For anyone who hasn't seen the iPhone version, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQeNT6bpJcM

I laughed so hard while playing and then watching this. So fucking bad.

Wow, and the review is positive! The game is "a bit empty" but it's "a necessary buy". My God.

Cruzader

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
So once you beat it normal once and unlock Pro, you keep on playing Pro to keep unlocking skins and guns with infinite ammo? I suppose it gets easier but thats the way to do it right?

Rolf NB

Cruzader said:
So once you beat it normal once and unlock Pro, you keep on playing Pro to keep unlocking skins and guns with infinite ammo? I suppose it gets easier but thats the way to do it right?
Yes. On your second round on pro you will probably attain exclusive upgrades on your entire loadout in chapter 1. You're walking all over them. Two hits with a maxed Red9, anywhere on the body, to kill a basic dude. Headshot does it in one. There shouldn't be any trouble until you're fighting those prisoner guys in chapter 3.

I suppose it's all about farming money until you can buy your favourite super weapon. And then do a third round as a speedrun.

Curufinwe said:
Got the handcannon and easily got 100,000+ scores on all the maps with Wesker. He is such a boss in Mercs.

Definitely. I remember getting almost if not 300,000 points on the castle level with him when I played the Gamecube version years ago. That falcon punch of his is beautiful.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
chalkitdown1 said:
No Resi 5. I am disappoint.

The one on the second is RE5:GE I believe.

I'm curious why he bought RE4 two times. :p

Just finished Code: Veronica and loved it, been years nice I last finished it. I think it may be my favourite of the traditonal RE''s along with the RE1 remake. I think it's got some of the best music in the series, from the
tyrant
battle theme to the creepy exorcist-like music in the Ashford residence. The Darkside Chronicles has some really nice versions of the soundtrack too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhMW9hGnc6U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m3JT_X172U&feature=related

Curufinwe

I spent hours and hours on it but the best Village score I could manage with Wesker was only 173,700 with 105 kills. Way less than my best GC effort of 194,500 with 124 kills. I just can't kill the Bella sisters fast enough.

Magnus

Just recently finished my 360 replay, and therefore, my first since the Wii version replay whenever that came out (200..9?)

Loved it as always, but this time, I found myself mostly disappointed in everything after
Salazar. The Island
just...didn't jive with me, and the game almost felt like it carried on longer than it should have. Felt uncannily like Bioshock-(late game spoiler)
post-Ryan
syndrome. Nevermind the horribly anticlimactic
removal of the Plagas virus from Leon/Ashley - no suspense at all; wouldn't that whole sequence have been better if faced with a time limit, or advancing waves of enemies while trying to perform the operation?

The biggest disappointment of all is probably the final boss encounter. I don't remember not liking it on previous playthroughs. But this time...man, was it ever easy. I mean, the enemy's visual design is phenomenal, I love it. But the encounter's boring and tropey as shit. Many boss encounters in RE4 itself trump it.

Ah well.

RE4's post-game is among the very best, so g'damn if I'm not still having a ton of fun. Phenomenal game.

$20 (-ish, I think it was less than that in 360 points) TOTALLY well spent. It may not be the best update to visuals possible for Digital Foundry-esque freaks and may lack an effect or two that most people never even noticed, but it's a totally competent port, and the visual update is night and day from the Wii. Love having a version of this that feels playable again to me.

My Mercs skills are awful; I can't even crack 100k with anyone after a few tries, lol. Used to be really great at this on the Cube back in the day.

Curufinwe

Curufinwe said:
I spent hours and hours on it but the best Village score I could manage with Wesker was only 173,700 with 105 kills. Way less than my best GC effort of 194,500 with 124 kills. I just can't kill the Bella sisters fast enough.

Managed to bump that up to 178,000 with 112 kills. The Mercenaries is going to be my go-to game when I want to play something while listening to surplus podcasts for a while, so I won't give hope of beating my old GameCube record.

Top Bottom