• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

klee123

Yeah, for me I'd rank the areas like this:

Castle > Village > Island

Tbh though, in terms of difficulty, I always though the enemies in the castle were harder than the ones in the island. For one their plagas form is probably the most deadly since they can kill you in one attack.

If I was Mikami, I would made the locations start from Village to Island and then to Castle.

Save the best for last!

Rocksteady33

I've played this game through I feel like a dozen times on the GameCube and Wii. I know the game almost forward and back, but for whatever reason I never attempted to collect the bottle caps. But now that getting them all is an achievement I want to do it... but damn, analog controls and the shooting galleries is difficult. Anyone got tips?

Skullkid

Rocksteady33 said:
I've played this game through I feel like a dozen times on the GameCube and Wii. I know the game almost forward and back, but for whatever reason I never attempted to collect the bottle caps. But now that getting them all is an achievement I want to do it... but damn, analog controls and the shooting galleries is difficult. Anyone got tips?

I always did it with the handgun only. Go for head shots when possible, especially on the female targets since you get more points. When head shots are difficult, just shoot them as normal since consecutive hits make Salazar appear in the back for 500 points.

Don't stand right in the center - stand and shoot a little off to the side (right usually for me). At the higher difficulties you have to move around a little to shoot around Ashley. If you shoot Ashley or otherwise mess up just turn around and head for the door to reset the round. When a group of zombies pop up with one holding dynamite just shoot the dynamite.

Overall it's not too difficult with practice and a good way to get some bonus money.

FML. Trying to get the A ranking trophy and Alexia 1 shotted me after trapping me between flames.

I guess I'll make a save right before that part and practice so I won't get killed again >_<.

Just picked up RECVX, anything I should know before I dive in?

Store your empthy fire extinguisher to a proper item box when its possible.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Tomat said:

DON'T LEAVE YOUR METALLIC ITEMS IN THE SECURITY BOX !!!!

also, there's going to be a point later in the game where you'll .. want to put some weapons in the item box .. you know .. just in case .. not that the freaking game gives a first time player any kind of hint when that time is about to come ..

Dreamer RD

Is there ranking system in CVX? I was just following simple rules. No saves, no sprays and fast movement. But fucked up in fight with Nosferatu, then gave up on that shit. Thought maybe one extra save before him stiil allow A rank? Need dat rocket launchair

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Dreamer RD said:
Is there ranking system in CVX? I was just following simple rules. No saves, no sprays and fast movement. But fucked up in fight with Nosferatu, then gave up on that shit. Thought maybe one extra save before him stiil allow A rank? Need dat rocket launchair

Yeah there's a ranking system, iirc you need to beat the game without saving to get the A rank .. but still I'm pretty sure the one save at the mid point that the game prompts you to do
when you reach antarctica
doesn't count.

Nemesis_

Tomat said:

You switch characters about six times in the game. When you switch for the fifth time, take a lot of healing items with you - the part of the game is unwinnable without them

CHARACTER NAMES / SWITCHES ---->

Claire
Steve
Claire
Chris
Claire
Chris

Dreamer RD

chandoog said:
Yeah there's a ranking system, iirc you need to beat the game without saving to get the A rank .. but still I'm pretty sure the one save at the mid point that the game prompts you to do
when you reach antarctica
doesn't count.

Right, I used that middle save. Still a long way until Nosferatu fight. His poison is so annoying. Saw a video where guy kills him with 3 heart shots very fast, but it's not that easy as it seems.

RatskyWatsky said:
Thinking about picking up the 360 version of CVX, as I've never played it. How is the 360 version?

I love it. But then, I'm a huge Code Veronica fan. The whole thing is there, and the new lighting is pretty nifty, though it does make some places seem a bit darker than they used to be.

It is classic Resident Evil. If you're not up on that style, you won't like it. You can see all the people in here hating on it.

Lightning

Banned
Having a blast playing through CVX again. The controls are hard to get use to again after so much time but I am getting use to them again and really enjoying it. I soon remembered you cannot get too trigger happy in CVX.... at least not in Claires game. Also finding it difficult to remember what to do, been a long time since I played it last.

Sblargh

Banned
Rocksteady33 said:

Handgun. Don't mind headshots, just be sure to hit every target without missing, so you are trading headshots for body shots without a miss. When the little head comes in the background, destroy all targets quickly, then switch to the sniper rifle and get that head.
Not as hard as it seems. Pretty easy this way, actually.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I did all of the bottle caps with the TMP. It was so easy that way to me. Better than the handgun, IMO.

Finished RE4 today and its as awesome as I remember it to be.

I like at the end how Ashley wants to fuck Leon by inviting him back to her house for some "overtime" lol

TheVampire said:
Finished RE4 today and its as awesome as I remember it to be.

I like at the end how Ashley wants to fuck Leon by inviting him back to her house for some "overtime" lol

Yeah, he explains that he is in too much love with Ada to even think about some nubile young girl throwing herself at him, and then after the credits roll we have Leon hitting on Hunnigan.

Great job there, guys.

Curufinwe

Rewrite said:
I did all of the bottle caps with the TMP. It was so easy that way to me. Better than the handgun, IMO.

Yeah, TMP is the way to go. I also used the D-Pad sometimes even though I always use the left analog stick for aiming in the actual game.

TUROK

A bit of an oddity I noticed. In RE4 HD, when examine some of the treasures in the Attache Case, the bump mapping is still there, but it's absent on all gameplay models. I thought that the effect was omitted due to some incompatibility issues or something, but the actual shader is still intact in the game. I wonder why that is.

Anyways, that's just me nerding out a bit.

I'm three hours in to 4 and I'm remembering why I loved this game so much and have played it so many times.

I do think they could have done more to justify the price (some HILARIOUSLY BAD textures in there and the achievements are pretty lame) but overall I'm loving playing it again. The Wiimote is a superior control method, but hey, it's HD bub!

Still in my top 10 of all-time, probably. Makes it so obvious how shit 5 was.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm three hours in to 4 and I'm remembering why I loved this game so much and have played it so many times.

I do think they could have done more to justify the price (some HILARIOUSLY BAD textures in there and the achievements are pretty lame) but overall I'm loving playing it again. The Wiimote is a superior control method, but hey, it's HD bub!

Still in my top 10 of all-time, probably. Makes it so obvious how shit 5 was.
Agreed (well, not that 5 is shit). If HD ports could make it to GotY-lists, I'd give this my GotY along with SotC HD. This game is perfection.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Finally got my Chicago Typewriter. Man..............now I know why I stop playing RE4 after buying it. -_-
?

Davey Cakes

I will say it's fun to try speed-runs with the Chicago Typewriter but other than that it's a broken weapon that destroys a lot of what makes the game fun.

Dreamer RD

Enjoying this video. Since when has YouTube allowed such lengthy videos? What did you use to capture this video? Looks good.

You're welcome. 15+min limit was lifted in 2010 I guess, but only for those who followed terms and conditions (= no warnings for copyrighted material uploads)
I use Sony RDR-AT100 recorder. That quality is bad actually, cause had to reduce bitrate for less than 2gb file.

I finished 4 tonight. 10 hours in two days. And this is like my sixth playthrough now.

VERY glad to see the Ada side stuff is in the extras menu. I was worried they might not have included that. I've only done that once on the Wii version, so I look forward to cracking on with them shortly.

I still think the helicopter sequence is one of my favourite video game moments. So. Fucking. Good.

Dreamer RD

I finished 4 tonight. 10 hours in two days. And this is like my sixth playthrough now.

VERY glad to see the Ada side stuff is in the extras menu. I was worried they might not have included that. I've only done that once on the Wii version, so I look forward to cracking on with them shortly.

I still think the helicopter sequence is one of my favourite video game moments. So. Fucking. Good.

Congrats. Yeah helicopter events are epic.
I have like 20 new untouched games on hard drive, but still playing RE4. Insane. Cleared it like 15 times on PS2 and now over 30 times on PS3. One of the best games of all time.

Yoshichan

And the music during those events... THE MUSIC.

The helicopter moment is great because it's such an awesome release. After so many hours of slogging it alone, conserving ammo, being really careful etc, for a few minutes you just run around as the chopper destroys everyone around you.

I remember the first time I played the game my jaw was on the floor.

Galdelico

Sorry for the epic bump guys, but I'd like to ask you if PSN/XBLA versions of Resident Evil 4 (and CV) are identical or if one is better than the other... Feel like I want to play the games again, but I'd love to pick up the best version.

Thanks! :)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Sorry for the epic bump guys, but I'd like to ask you if PSN/XBLA versions of Resident Evil 4 (and CV) are identical or if one is better than the other... Feel like I want to play the games again, but I'd love to pick up the best version.

Thanks! :)

If you have a choice, the XBLA version of 4 is probably your best bet. Seems to have fewer frame drops and better sound quality. CV is about the same on both, but its somewhat darker on PSN.

Finally bought RE4HD after having a massive urge to play it out of NOWHERE. Yeah aiming on the left stick feels weird, and the sensitivity feels slow as hell, and the tank controls are still pretty awful, but once you get used to all that again, this is still a damn great game. The guns feels amazing, I love fixing the case, art is phenomenal, pacing is almost perfect, so much meat to the game, etc. etc. I can only hope RE6 comes closer to this than RE5 did.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Revelations gave me a lot of hope for RE6. A lot of really simple, good ideas that could be extrapolated upon in the future.

RedSwirl

DON'T LEAVE YOUR METALLIC ITEMS IN THE SECURITY BOX !!!!

also, there's going to be a point later in the game where you'll .. want to put some weapons in the item box .. you know .. just in case .. not that the freaking game gives a first time player any kind of hint when that time is about to come ..

Is there some kind of glitch with that in this version or something?

pikablu

Just picked up Code Veronica X HD last night when I became frustrated that I couldnt play the RE6 demo because I don't have Gold atm. Even went as far as using a 48 hour code to still find out I wasn't able to. Anyhowww, I'm no where near half way yet. Just got to where you can finally open that Security Room door and get the Flame and Smoke rounds or whatever. I've only beaten this game once wayy back on the ps2. I remember my biggest problem with the game was beating that one dude on the plane about halfway through the game. I musta tried like 20 times and never had enough ammo to knock him off. I ended up using a gameshark cheat to get infinite ammo at that one point. Haha I'm trying to save up on grenade ammo and shit so that doesn't happen again.

televator

Necrobump!

I just imported the Asian Revival Selection. Going through RE4 was a chore getting back into the swing of things with the added fun of figuring out Japanese menus. At first I was like:

ive-made-a-huge-mistake-gob-arrested-development.gif

Luckily I used to be a pro at this game so muscle memory with my hands helped me power through it. Now the only thing is that I'm wracking myself over completing the game with no deaths. Does the game reward you for having a clean death count?

Top Bottom