• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revival Selection |OT| RE4 and REC:VX now in HD!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Speaking of inventories. I'm ready for my speed runs !

2802wrc.jpg

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Papercuts said:
jEdWSAoEY5xNy.jpg

Here was my inventory at the end of the game. Probably has to be one of my playthroughs in the mid 20s by now, and I still feel like those are all the best weapons you can have.
TMP is amazing and manual rifle >>> semi come at me bros.
larry-david-faint1qqx.gif

One thing I really hate about RE4 is the sound mix. It's complete garbage on 360 in DD5.1. You can't tell where the enemies are coming from.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
chandoog said:

2802wrc.jpg

Speaking of speed runs, does the Stryker super fast run glitch work in these versions?

Also damn, this game is long. The freaking castle is like half the game.

AndyMoogle said:
One thing I really hate about RE4 is the sound mix. It's complete garbage on 360 in DD5.1. You can't tell where the enemies are coming from.

Have to agree with you there. I was zooming in from far away in a castle section at an enemy and it sounded like he was right up on me lol

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Stryker glitch still works on the 360.

How do you get the Stryker to have a capacity of 100? I have never heard of this upgrade.
Please share.

I'm stuck on the game now. I'm at the last mini game spot (target shooting) and I'm struggling with getting the last two figures on level D. I had been using the handgun until just recently. I watched a video online and it showed that using the TMP and just tapping the button was a better choice. Much easier. Soon though I'm sure I will get this and be able to move on. Soon.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Truelize said:
Stryker glitch still works on the 360.

How do you get the Stryker to have a capacity of 100? I have never heard of this upgrade.
Please share.
it's the exclusive upgrade

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the last upgrade for the Striker upgrades its capacity to 100, no?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I hadn't bothered purchasing all the upgrades for weapons. I did not know that they unlocked an exclusive upgrade. Sweet action.

is there some sort of side mission that you complete where the Merchant gives you a rocket launcher for free or am I mis-remembering? I don't want to waste 30K if I don't have to.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ninja Scooter said:
is there some sort of side mission that you complete where the Merchant gives you a rocket launcher for free or am I mis-remembering? I don't want to waste 30K if I don't have to.
you can find a freebie in the castle in 3-3.

Magnus

chandoog said:

2802wrc.jpg

Where did all the herbs/grenades come from? I'm brainfarting right now; do inventories carry over from play through to play through?

adamsapple

Magnus said:
Where did all the herbs/grenades come from? I'm brainfarting right now; do inventories carry over from play through to play through?

Yep. Everything from your clear save carries over to the next play through.

I think the Striker is better then the Riot Gun in pretty much every way once you start upgrading, but I just have to use the Riot Gun away. It feels and looks more like a shotgun, and the Striker makes it almost TOO easy at times.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
I think the Striker is better then the Riot Gun in pretty much every way once you start upgrading, but I just have to use the Riot Gun away. It feels and looks more like a shotgun, and the Striker makes it almost TOO easy at times.
Why not just use the regular Shotgun then? At least it's free.

Would be cool if you could extend the stock on the Striker.

zerotol

Banned
chandoog said:

2802wrc.jpg

Well, you're basically a Terminator at this point, lol! Have fun on your speed run. I certainly did, though I only had the Chicago Typewriter. Infinite RL would have been icing on the cake.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Jumping on the inventory bandwagon. This is me at the end of my first playthrough. Pretty standard, although I never bother with the TMP or Magnum. Ever. Also, all dat health.

6230120034_c19f77d791_z.jpg

Now it's time for the real game to begin.

6230120180_9e938b77bd_z.jpg

cvxfreak

This thread reminds me of how LAME it was for Leon and Ada to be excluded from The Mercenaries 3D.

I mean, what the fuck. Seriously.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Papercuts said:
Psh, you people are too organized. Leon wouldn't have time to upkeep like that; too busy killin.
Organizing your case is one of the coolest things ever in the game to me. I love seeing how everyone has theirs organized.

adamsapple

Papercuts said:
Psh, you people are too organized. Leon wouldn't have time to upkeep like that; too busy killin.

The man who can make time for awesometastic one liners in life of death moments can make time for anything.

I always thought it would have been cool to fight that giant double chainsaw Dr Salvador in the main story portian of the game. He would have made an excellent mid boss/boss and give you plenty of "Ooooooh shiiiiit" moments. That guy is a beast.

Sblargh

Banned
Finally started REC:VX after going throung 1, 2 and 3 and I gotta say, game feels like a step back from RE3 in some ways.
I haven't played the Gamecube games, but speaking of classic RE format, RE3 seems to have the most solid gameplay. You're never wasting bullets for (auto)aiming slightly wrong, 180 turn is a lot more responsive and the lack of dodge and push mechanics seems very weird since they worked so well on RE3. Also, the lack of a Nemesis-like enemy chasing you through multiple screens, tho I don't know how well that would work on REC:VX stage design.
In a way, game feels like a sequence to RE2 that ignored RE3.
Still like it a lot, tho. Settings are cool, Claire and Chris are nice characters, ammo to stuff-to-kill ratio is all right, Boss fights are tense and Wesker is so boss on this game.
Also, I had this memory of Alexander Ashcroft being just Japan being weird, but he is not a bad character. He is insane, all right, but the backstory found in documents actually create a nice atmosphere where his insanity is justified.

Curufinwe

Host Samurai said:
I always thought it would have been cool to fight that giant double chainsaw Dr Salvador in the main story portian of the game. He would have made an excellent mid boss/boss and give you plenty of "Ooooooh shiiiiit" moments. That guy is a beast.

Best to find a grenade to use on him when playing as Leon.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Riot Gun is better at long ranges :3.

I think I'm the only one who thinks the Chicago Typewriter is lame. You point it at an enemy and they die immediately. Barely any of the imagery of pumping a quivering dude full of lead. Maybe if they lowered the power on it to TMP levels...?

sajj316

Have there been any good analysis or comparisons done with both titles? I've read in this thread that someone offered comparison screenshots but I have not seen those (yes I'm talking about you Mr. snap0212!!!). What is the general consensus for those that have played both titles on both versions. Are they similar enough that it's a matter of controller preference?

cvxfreak said:
This thread reminds me of how LAME it was for Leon and Ada to be excluded from The Mercenaries 3D.

I mean, what the fuck. Seriously.

True. I think there's some sort of unwritten rule stating that Chris and Leon can't be in the same game, even if it is a mercs spinoff.

.la1n

sajj316 said:
Have there been any good analysis or comparisons done with both titles? I've read in this thread that someone offered comparison screenshots but I have not seen those (yes I'm talking about you Mr. snap0212!!!). What is the general consensus for those that have played both titles on both versions. Are they similar enough that it's a matter of controller preference?

Just go with what you feel.

Yes they are identical enough it does not matter.

Napalm_Frank said:
Xbox? You knife with R1+square and dodge with R1+L1 on PS3.
Yeah, I'm playing the 360 version. There are two kind of dodges. It's either LT + RT, or X + A. When it's the X+A dodge, you can't knife because you use the knife with LT+X. I changed the control scheme and then it worked fine.

AndyMoogle said:
Yeah, I'm playing the 360 version. There are two kind of dodges. It's either LT + RT, or X + A. When it's the X+A dodge, you can't knife because you use the knife with LT+X. I changed the control scheme and then it worked fine.
Can't you just not press A and knife? :D

Curufinwe

AndyMoogle said:

I don't understand. On the original GC version you knifed by pressing L + A and dodged by either pressing L + R or A + B, so how is this different?

Napalm_Frank said:
Can't you just not press A and knife? :D
That's not how this game works. If you press X during a QTE, the game will expect you to press A as well. The X button alone does nothing whatsoever during that QTE. It's obviously glitched.

You can't shoot either. You can draw the gun or knife, but you can't press X to attack. With the second control scheme where you use LB+RT to use the knife, it works fine.

AndyMoogle said:
That's not how this game works. If you press X during a QTE, the game will expect you to press A as well. The X button alone does nothing whatsoever during that QTE. It's obviously glitched.

You can't shoot either. You can draw the gun or knife, but you can't press X to attack. With the second control scheme where you use LB+RT to use the knife, it works fine.
In PS3 it works just fine so must be a bug.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Napalm_Frank said:
Riot Gun is better at long ranges :3.

And the original Shotgun is better than the Riot Gun at longer ranges. The Riot Gun does more damage at... medium distance, I guess. But at that distance you should be using a pistol anyway. Really the only advantage the Riot Gun has is that it looks cooler.

Rolf NB

The striker is 2 squares smaller than the other shotguns, no? I think I'll go that route in the pro playthrough. Upgrading regular shotty a bit, skipping the riot gun, and eventually go all out on the striker. I only use shotguns when at least two guys are right in my face, or to blow a parasite head clean off at point blank. Seems like a waste of ammo otherwise. So I shouldn't have an issue with more limited range on the striker.

And hot damn, cabin defense on pro is hard!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Rolf NB said:
The striker is 2 squares smaller than the other shotguns, no? I think I'll go that route in the pro playthrough. Upgrading regular shotty a bit, skipping the riot gun, and eventually go all out on the striker. I only use shotguns when at least two guys are right in my face, or to blow a parasite head clean off at point blank. Seems like a waste of ammo otherwise. So I shouldn't have an issue with more limited range on the striker.

And hot damn, cabin defense on pro is hard!

It's been discussed to death, but yeah. Striker is smaller, has a higher capacity, damage, firing speed, and better handling than any of the other shotguns. Its only downside is that it's the most expensive shotgun to upgrade, but I usually do what you're suggesting. Hold onto the original Shotgun, upgrade the capacity to get free Shotgun ammo when I'm low, and hold out until the Striker.

RPGamer92

Banned
For the bottle cap collection, is the first shooting range seen the only one in the game or are there others? I've gotten all the caps for the first row.

Its only downside is that it's the most expensive shotgun to upgrade, but I usually do what you're suggesting.

Believe it or not, Riot Gun is actually more expensive to fully upgrade than Striker.

For the bottle cap collection, is the first shooting range seen the only one in the game or are there others? I've gotten all the caps for the first row

There are 5 shooting ranges in the game and you only need to visit the first 4 to get all the bottle caps.

RPGamer92

Banned
Napalm_Frank said:
Believe it or not, Riot Gun is actually more expensive to fully upgrade than Striker.

There are 5 shooting ranges in the game and you only need to visit the first 4 to get all the bottle caps.
How soon until the 2nd range from the 1st?

kuYuri

Totally on a Resident Evil kick. Beat RE4HD, playing Separate Ways for first time, finally getting RE5 Gold Edition to play Lost in Nightmares/Desperate Escape, and I haven't even started CVXHD cause those two had me busy.

Hope Capcom show RE6 soon. D:

I've never liked the Striker because I don't like firing from waist level. When I take aim with the shotgun (or almost any gun), I don't pull the trigger unless it's pointed at someone's eye. The camera angle is just weird when you aim that high with the Striker.

Top Bottom