• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

hayejin

This game is a blast in coop.

Stayed up all night playing coop on 4-5 last night and I almost lost it when the battery started flashing and I had to find the adapter while escaping from two chainsaw guys.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Ryuukan said:
This game is a blast, and I've never experienced this level of online coop on a portable before.

I can see how some people might think its not worth $40 due to it not being a full out Resident Evil game but the save reset bitching is nonsense. I guess if my intention was to binge on this for 3 days after release and resell immediately, I would be raging.

Yeah, it's a lot of fun. I love the survival stages the most so far. I do wish that they had a dedicated survival mode sans time-limit though.

Which makes me think that a 4P Mercenaries "Horde Mode" on 360/PS3/PC RE5 would have been so damn awesome.

This game and SSF4 3D Edition have made the 3DS a worthy purchase for me.

MooMoo

UncleSporky said:
You're not supposed to run out of time on 4-5, the intent is to survive through all 15 waves of enemies. It's not easy but it's really fun and satisfying when you succeed!
I can't wait until I beat 4-5. It's cockblocking me from unlocking the rest of the missions. Rwar!!! I actually wouldn't mind a second 3DS Mercenaries game. But it would have to be fully fleshed. No sloppy translations, tweak the graphics a bit more if possible, more characters, fix the goddamn audio, etc. They have the gameplay part down, it's just the little things that are killing the whole package.

SmithnCo

4-5 is pretty fun in co-op. Those last two guys at the end are a total pain though, I had a match where me and my partner ran out of ammo, so I had to sit there and watch Jill try to kill one with the knife while I occasionally distracted it by taunting. She succeeded but we only got an A. Manged to finally SS it last night with someone else so I could get the Giant Killer skill.

When they make a sequel to this for whatever system, this round-based horde mode should be an option for all the maps.

I wasn't planning on getting this, but I ended up impulse buying it yesterday. I'm surprised how much I'm liking it considering I never really got into the Mercenaries mode in RE4 and 5... I'm not so sure if it was totally worth the $40 yet though, but only time will tell.

MooMoo said:
I can't wait until I beat 4-5. It's cockblocking me from unlocking the rest of the missions. Rwar!!! I actually wouldn't mind a second 3DS Mercenaries game. But it would have to be fully fleshed. No sloppy translations, tweak the graphics a bit more if possible, more characters, fix the goddamn audio, etc. They have the gameplay part down, it's just the little things that are killing the whole package.

Yeah, I got it this morning, and let me get one thing out of the way first: The criticism against the game is well founded. The audio is mediocre, the animations of enemies sometimes jitters badly, some textures are really bad and polycount on enemies is generally low, but hot damn, I am having a blast with this game.

If a rushed, sloppy launch(window)game looks and plays that well, then I can't wait what Capcom could do with a sequel to this game. Online works well and Lag isn't an issue. It's a bit deserted up until now, but i got into a few matches and had a lot of fun.

The later missions in particular look to be amazing in coop.

Overall I don't regret spending the money. I spent full price on worse stuff.

kiryogi

Banned
MooMoo said:
Wanna try co-op for 4-5 tonight?

panda21

i forget, is $40 the usual full retail game price in the US?

in the uk this is £30, while the launch price of 3ds games (and other platforms) is almost always £40, which makes it seem like capcom are at least acknowledging that its not a full game.

although capgod also released SSFIV and a few other amazing games for £30 here so who knows

MooMoo

boris feinbrand said:
Yeah, I got it this morning, and let me get one thing out of the way first: The criticism against the game is well founded. The audio is mediocre, the animations of enemies sometimes jitters badly, some textures are really bad and polycount on enemies is generally low, but hot damn, I am having a blast with this game.

Overall I don't regret spending the money. I spent full price on worse stuff.
Yup, I agree with everything. I think people just got caught up in the Capcom rage. Oh well.

kiryogi said:
Wanna try co-op for 4-5 tonight?
Maybe, we'll see. I'm supposed to hit the movies tonight. Not sure what time I'll get back though :p

Deku

Banned
SmithnCo said:
4-5 is pretty fun in co-op. Those last two guys at the end are a total pain though, I had a match where me and my partner ran out of ammo, so I had to sit there and watch Jill try to kill one with the knife while I occasionally distracted it by taunting. She succeeded but we only got an A. Manged to finally SS it last night with someone else so I could get the Giant Killer skill.

When they make a sequel to this for whatever system, this round-based horde mode should be an option for all the maps.

You can clear missions in co-op or is the on-line mode just a separate thing entirely?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Some reviewers say it is bad, others say it's good.
You guys make it sound like it's good indeed, this will be my next game once I'm done with Zelda.

kiryogi

Banned
Well, the technical flaws are there, but it's not a dealbreaker IMO. The core game play is still just as great and the coop alone is absolutely fun if not addicting. Great on the go title and possibly the first great coop experience on the 3DS.

Teknoman

kiryogi said:
Well, the technical flaws are there, but it's not a dealbreaker IMO. The core game play is still just as great and the coop alone is absolutely fun if not addicting. Great on the go title and possibly the first great coop experience on the 3DS.

Not to mention it looks and sounds nice (aside from the gun sounds and far away enemy animations...dunno why they cut the frames on those).

oblo

Just got it today, played up to 4-5, with a little help online on 4-3 and 4-4, the co-op is great fun, game is exactly what I expected from it and I'm having a total blast with it. Haters gonna hate.

Kolgar

I agree with the poster above who said it's a fun game that just got caught up in all the Capcom hate.

I *really* dig RE: Mercs. It's utterly different from anything else I have for the system, and for me, it dispels any worries I had about the technical capabilities of the system.

Damn if it doesn't rival RE5 to my eyes.

Also, it's the perfect game for playing in short bursts--exactly what a portable game should be.

Boney said:
uh no it doesn't

You're right. It's been a long day.

marc^o^ said:
Some reviewers say it is bad, others say it's good.
You guys make it sound like it's good indeed, this will be my next game once I'm done with Zelda.
oh, the flaws are there, that much is clear, but at least to me, the gameplay more than makes up for the flaws. Like others are saying, the game is perfect for short bursts.

Just finished 4-5. The waves of enemies were a nice change of pace, and I hope to see more of it. I'm starting to get into the whole skills thing too, which is a pretty cool mechanic. So far, the package is pretty intense stuff, especially for a handheld game.

One thing is for sure, it definitely leaves room for improvement. There's nothing majorly wrong with it aside from the sound quality, but there's a few tweaks that could be made here or there.

Ken

chazmonkey said:
One thing is for sure, it definitely leaves room for improvement. There's nothing majorly wrong with it aside from the sound quality, but there's a few tweaks that could be made here or there.
Like not climbing up or raising a ladder when I wanted to finish an enemy or pick up an item.

Teknoman

chazmonkey said:
Just finished 4-5. The waves of enemies were a nice change of pace, and I hope to see more of it. I'm starting to get into the whole skills thing too, which is a pretty cool mechanic. So far, the package is pretty intense stuff, especially for a handheld game.

This exactly.

Teknoman said:
Not to mention it looks and sounds nice (aside from the gun sounds and far away enemy animations...dunno why they cut the frames on those).
it does look weird, i've never seen that "effect" before. are there any other games that do it so obviously?

Nemesis_

EatChildren said:

And you didn't enjoy it as much?

The game was definitely a five-six from me but now after playing it for so long with friends (and unfortunately having to use XBL chat for voice) it's not easily a seven.

I was just interested, that's all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nemesis556 said:
And you didn't enjoy it as much?

I did, and as I state in the review the intensity of solo is made even more the more enjoyable in the co-op.

I quite like Mercs. 6 is above average. The game just has way too many problems and an unshakable sense of cheapness for me to rate highly. Capcom/TOSE could and should have done much better than what we got.

Ken

Sorry Smithnco, the Internet at the house I'm staying at over the summer isn't great. I'll try to join again if you're still up for it.

SmithnCo

Ken said:
Sorry Smithnco, the Internet at the house I'm staying at over the summer isn't great. I'll try to join again if you're still up for it.

No problem, good games.

I'll sit in the host games menu occasionally while I'm watching TV or something if anyone wants to join.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I've been having a lot of problems getting online matches going, which is weird since I rarely have gotten any connection errors with SSF4 and DOA.

I get a connection error initially trying to do Internet play, then while trying to connect to a friend's game, another connection error. He was then unable to find me when I tried hosting.

ACESmkII

Lyte Edge said:
I've been having a lot of problems getting online matches going, which is weird since I rarely have gotten any connection errors with SSF4 and DOA.

I get a connection error initially trying to do Internet play, then while trying to connect to a friend's game, another connection error. He was then unable to find me when I tried hosting.
Same here, usually connects after 3-4 tries but what's weird is it was connecting fine yesterday and the day before.

jokkir

Is it weird that I don't play the game for high scores but rather just play it to kill zombies and see how long I last?

Also, Krauser is the best character in the game.

SmithnCo

Those were some great games tonight Ken!

I didn't know you could kill all the enemies on a normal level before either, lol.

Ken

SmithnCo said:
Those were some great games tonight Ken!

I didn't know you could kill all the enemies on a normal level before either, lol.
Yeah, good games.

Just need EX-8 SS to finish off EX levels, and then back to some of the lower missions for SS ranks.

Teknoman

jokkir said:
Is it weird that I don't play the game for high scores but rather just play it to kill zombies and see how long I last?

Also, Krauser is the best character in the game.

I dunno, i'm thinking about maining HUNK just for the triple tap ground move lol.

Gonna put in some time to upgrade/unlock skills before i'll be a decent co-op partner.

NateDrake

Advice. Playing 5-5 with Krauser and I can't kill
the damn bat.
I plant the mines, use his rockets, etc. I just can't seem to be victorious. Any advice on this mission?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
NateDrake said:
Advice. Playing 5-5 with Krauser and I can't kill
the damn bat.
I plant the mines, use his rockets, etc. I just can't seem to be victorious. Any advice on this mission?

You're shooting the squishy bit right?

NateDrake

EatChildren said:
You're shooting the squishy bit right?
Yeah. I killed it early on in the game with the rockets without any issues. I don't know why it is such a pain this time around. Maybe my aim is just a slight bit off or something.

Top Bottom