• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

LegendZelda

Unconfirmed Member
I am buying this game when I get back in town from a trip. I have seen a lot of bad reviews for the game but am not swayed. Mercenaries on RE5 was a lot of fun and I would like to be able to play that mode on the go.

I am a bit upset that there is not any voice chat for online play. That is sort of vital with a co-op mode like that but it should not be a huge problem.

Ken

To Far Away Times said:
4-5 feels like a sick joke with 2 axe guys chasing you and the main baddie at the same time. I think this one might have to be done co-op.

Save your grenades and mines for them.

ss_lemonade

Just bought the game after failing to find a copy of zelda oot over here at my place :(. Looks fun, still need to run through all the training maps.

Sadly, my 3ds for some reason will not connect to the internet via my router. Its been like this ever since, where it would seem to connect to the router (this is through the internet connection test) then immediately fail when reaching the internet step with a 003-2101 error. I'm using a dlink dir-300 by the way. Anyone with the same router?

Ken

georaldc said:
Just bought the game after failing to find a copy of zelda oot over here at my place :(. Looks fun, still need to run through all the training maps.

Sadly, my 3ds for some reason will not connect to the internet via my router. Its been like this ever since, where it would seem to connect to the router (this is through the internet connection test) then immediately fail when reaching the internet step with a 003-2101 error. I'm using a dlink dir-300 by the way. Anyone with the same router?
Found this on Nintendo's forums:

It looks like the DIR 300 was DLink's first crack at a wireless g router, so it's possible they aren't 100% compliant with wireless g.  The DS lite and the DS internet connections on your 3DS will run in Wireless b mode, but your regular internet connection on the 3DS will operate in wireless g mode if the router has it enabled.

Try setting up your router to run in wireless b only mode, and see if this fixes your problem.

Good luck with getting online because the game is great with a partner.

ss_lemonade

Ken said:
Found this on Nintendo's forums:

Good luck with getting online because the game is great with a partner.
I was the one who asked that question on their forums before. I already tried fiddling around with the settings but I couldn't find any way to force wireless b on my router. Its just weird and frustrating knowing that every other wireless enabled device here works fine except the 3ds.

jokkir

XPE said:
Is there only one level that has waves of enemys ?

Unless there's another one on the EX missions, yup. It's a shame because that's probably the most fun mission compared to the rest.

i'm enjoying this game. it's exactly what i hoped it would be. Mercs really does make for a great portable game.

it also makes for a great distraction when you're getting painful deep tissue massages from your physiotherapist. it really is shocking to me how much this plays like the 'real thing'. that circle pad really does work well. my worries about the Wii U not having analogue sticks has basically evaporated.

also, it really DOES undo my desire for inverted aiming. inverted feels so wrong (and why does it let you invert just the X axis should you want?) and normally it feels so right.

XPE

gimz said:
can you search player online like SF4 or you have to play with people with friendcode

You can play with any one.

Also has any one 3DS shut down after a game online ?

M3d10n

plagiarize said:
that circle pad really does work well. my worries about the Wii U not having analogue sticks has basically evaporated.
I believe the Wii U has actual sticks, not circle pads. But yeah I found the circle pad to be excellent and would have zero problems if the Wii U used it. It's very comfortable and accurate, it takes very little thumb force to move while being resistant enough to provide feedback on which direction you're pointing to and it works surprisingly well with d-pad based games.

I gave up on using the shitty d-pad in SSFIV3D when I found I can perform every single move with great accuracy on the circle pad (including Guile's and Claw's ultras).

ss_lemonade

Now this is odd. I finally got my 3ds to work with my wifi connection here and I'm actually posting right now via its browser. The crazy thing is that I have RE running in the background right now and once I switch to it and try connecting for online play, again I get thrown the 003-2101 error. Switching back to the browser gives me a net connection again.

Effect

Wow. I knew the demo for RE:R was short but wow. I think I finished it up in just over a minute. Granted I was running in some sports. Graphics looked great. Been playing RE:TM in short burst so far. That seems to work best for me and the game hasn't gotten old. Up to the level 4 missions after being stuck a while on mission 3-5. That was annoying.

I encountered some huge blade wielding (well it seems they were attached to his body and arms) enemy in 4-1 after I was in it for a few minutes. How do you kill that thing?

Shotgun blast when in front of it or even from behind didn't seem to work. Trying to go through the entire game as Chris first so just using his normal load out. I ended up running from the thing after trying a few times and just focused on the other creatures.

I do wish here was some kind of enemy directory in the game. I would like to know what I'm killing. I know the manual has three of the enemies but clearly there are more.

Boney

Banned
jokkir said:
Unless there's another one on the EX missions, yup. It's a shame because that's probably the most fun mission compared to the rest.
Wait.. so there's only one regular Mercenaries mission?

wtf is this shit!

is the 3D good in this game? and is the online cross-region?

edit: and one more thing, how deep can the game get? I was a DOTA player until a few year ago, but gave up on it since matches took like 1 hour, what I really liked about it was deciding upon strategy in the team and being cooperative to perform it. Can I get something like that here?

Effect

walking fiend said:
is the 3D good in this game? and is the online cross-region?

It's decent. You notice the depth when it comes to your point of view. Not really used for anything else. It's easy on the eyes, for me at least. Been playing with it on the entire time.

SmithnCo

Boney said:
Wait.. so there's only one regular Mercenaries mission?

wtf is this shit!

No, they're talking about a wave-based mode, that gives you time when you defeat every individual wave.

Also, there is another in the EX missions. I think it's the last EX mission.

Boney

Banned
SmithnCo said:
No, they're talking about a wave-based mode, that gives you time when you defeat every individual wave.

Also, there is another in the EX missions. I think it's the last EX mission.
Ohhhhhhhhh

Ok. :)

Ken

Effect said:
I encountered some huge blade wielding (well it seems they were attached to his body and arms) enemy in 4-1 after I was in it for a few minutes. How do you kill that thing?
Did he have Wolverine-like claws? If so, that's a garrador. They are blind (so they are immune to flash grenades) and attack in the direction of gunshots or explosions. His normal attack is easy to dodge and he has a weak spot on his back. He has one instant kill attack where he charges forward with one arm out straight.

Will be on in an hour or so if anyone needs a partner.

I wish you'd get at least partial points for incomplete missions. Even one third would be acceptable. Sucks to die in the later parts of an EX mission and get nothing.

Effect

Ken said:
Did he have Wolverine-like claws? If so, that's a garrador. They are blind (so they are immune to flash grenades) and attack in the direction of gunshots or explosions. His normal attack is easy to dodge and he has a weak spot on his back. He has one instant kill attack where he charges forward with one arm out straight.

Will be on in an hour or so if anyone needs a partner.

Yeah that's the one. I was wondering he wasn't coming right at me when I ran and reloaded. He seemed to be spinning into the wall.

Ken

Effect said:
Yeah that's the one. I was wondering he wasn't coming right at me when I ran and reloaded. He seemed to be spinning into the wall.
Just bring him down with grenades or mines and shoot his weak spot on his back. Sniper rifles (Barry's Dragunov or Claire's PSG-1) are also great if you have a partner distracting him.

Trying to choose which three skills to use is surprisingly difficult.

I'm online ATM if anyone wants to duo.

'Cuz he's my son. RT @SilentNinjaMan @PG_kamiya Why do you think Leon is the favorite playable character of many Biohazard fans?
Twittelator • 7/2/11 6:31 AM

Ken

BeautifulMemory said:
'Cuz he's my son. RT @SilentNinjaMan @PG_kamiya Why do you think Leon is the favorite playable character of many Biohazard fans?
Twittelator • 7/2/11 6:31 AM
His one-liners.

oblo

georaldc said:
Now this is odd. I finally got my 3ds to work with my wifi connection here and I'm actually posting right now via its browser. The crazy thing is that I have RE running in the background right now and once I switch to it and try connecting for online play, again I get thrown the 003-2101 error. Switching back to the browser gives me a net connection again.
I get that error two to three times before I can get online with the game, so my advice would be to keep trying, works just fine once I do get online.

kiryogi

Banned
So close to 150!... Damn you're good :D Lets play again later Ken... Getting dragged off elsewhere D: GG! Think if anyone's done the entire gauntlet of missions, you should be a primed killing machine. . . But some randoms I play with online are pretty urgh XD

NateDrake

Rocked 5-5 last night with a solid S ranking. EX stuff is great to explore now. I understand the average review scores in the 7/10 range because it certainly could use some new content and more of it but this is a damn great portable game. Tons of fun and worth every cent.

Ridley327

Ken said:
Just bring him down with grenades or mines and shoot his weak spot on his back. Sniper rifles (Barry's Dragunov or Claire's PSG-1) are also great if you have a partner distracting him.

Trying to choose which three skills to use is surprisingly difficult.

I'm online ATM if anyone wants to duo.
He also has a very, very exploitable animation cycle; if you hit his weak point on his back to make him wince, he'll always stagger around to face you. Simply run behind him when his animation starts and wail on the weakpoint until he dies.

MooMoo

kiryogi said:
Back a for a little more. Anyone around? We need a better messaging system XD
Man, I really hope Nintendo implements a messaging system. What they have now is the equivalent of having a contacts list with no contact information; pretty to look at but practically useless.

I added everyone who posted in the RE: Mercs friend code thread (I made a post in the thread, but for ease mine is 4725-7960-2523). While adding codes I noticed that the friend list gets really unwieldy. There isn't even a way to re-position friends on the list. So I have a bunch of inactive people sitting at the front of my list while all you guys who are actively playing are last.

Grr, I wish I had more time to play this game. I managed to beat 4-5 though. Had a pretty awesome Rebecca nurse helping xP

Ken

Sorry about my deaths kiryogi.

First time I tried to use the invincibility from using herbs to get away from the chainsaw man but failed.
Second time I tried to mash out of a grab with only half health.

I wish Capcom would implement an in game messaging system like Monster Hunter Tri. You could quickly pull up a menu and enter in a prewritten custom messages.

kiryogi

Banned
Ggs for the quick game andy. Just got it but you had nurse becky :eek:

Ken: nah its fine.. there were hitches both ways

Ken

Anyone playing?

@kiryogi At least we hit the max combo I think lol.

Aside from appearances, is Hunk just not good in this game compared to his RE4 version?

Top Bottom