• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

kiryogi

Banned
Been playing him offline while entertaining guests. XD Can't say I'm a fan of him, at least his loadout anyway. Flash grenade launcher WTF. I love his melee options though. On that note. Anyone up?

Man, 2-1 is a pain in the ass trying to get the SS rank(only with HUNK so far, but I haven't unlocked Krauser, Barry, and Wesker)

And it looks like I'll have trouble getting the SS rank on 3-1 as well

Ken

lazybones18 said:
Man, 2-1 is a pain in the ass trying to get the SS rank(only with HUNK so far, but I haven't unlocked Krauser, Barry, and Wesker)

Use Jill and knife everyone. Every kill gets you 5 seconds. You need to have at least 1:29 to SS.

If Hunk still had his neckbreaker instant kill he'd be great, but all his melee moves are either weak, or slow instant kills.

Well tried the knife and I suck with it :/

A real time killer when I use it

But I managed to get the SS rank with everyone on 2-1 just now

You can at finish the mission with at least 1:25 left to get SS (the amount of time I had left with Rebecca)

Ken

lazybones18 said:
Well tried the knife and I suck with it :/

A real time killer when I use it

But I managed to get the SS rank with everyone on 2-1 just now

You can at finish the mission with at least 1:25 left to get SS (the amount of time I had left with Rebecca)
When you used the knife, did you try moving around while knifing people (move while aiming)? That helps a lot.

Currently online if anyone wants to duo.

I am loving the EX missions. Was playing with Hunk and barely making it through. Switched to Rebecca and had better luck with the explosive rounds. Having a lot of fun. I'll be online later today looking for some co-op action!

NIN90

Hunk is such a sack of shit. Doesn't have a power weapon and his flash nade launcher sucks ass because his melee isn't a one hit kill when they are flashed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ken said:
Aside from appearances, is Hunk just not good in this game compared to his RE4 version?

You had limited arrows in the RE4 version, but they frequently dropped and did tons of damage. Hunk's best ability was his mutated arm, which when activated allowed you to thrust forward and one-hit-explode anything in your path.

It charged up over time, so you could save it for getting instant combos with huge groups, or taking care of super enemies like the chainsaw ladies.

EatChildren said:
You had limited arrows in the RE4 version, but they frequently dropped and did tons of damage. Hunk's best ability was his mutated arm, which when activated allowed you to thrust forward and one-hit-explode anything in your path.

It charged up over time, so you could save it for getting instant combos with huge groups, or taking care of super enemies like the chainsaw ladies.
I think you've confused Krauser with Hunk :p.

Mr_Zombie

EatChildren said:

I think you're talking about Krauser, not Hunk ;)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fuck.

EDIT: In which case no, Hunk isn't as good in this as he was in RE4, but that's because his kneck twist melee attack was a one hit kill.

randomwab

It's funny that we were all worried that there wouldn't be enough enemies on screen at one point. My god, this can be hectic sometimes.

randomwab said:
It's funny that we were all worried that there wouldn't be enough enemies on screen at one point. My god, this can be hectic sometimes.
Yeah. That turned out not to be an issue at all. I am very glad about it, even though I currently suck.

Shoogoo

walking fiend said:
I really really want to buy this game so I can play it with you, but I am broke :(
plz post some baaad impressions from it :(

It fucking sucks and I hate you.

(you asked for it)

Shoogoo said:
It fucking sucks and I hate you.

(you asked for it)
so it doesn't really? :( (btw, come at me HHHHARDER :D)

I really like the direction they took with seperating RE:M from reveleation. Some may think it is a dickish move to milk the RE fans, but I honestly don't see it this way.

The fact is that RE4 managed to introduce one of the best mechanism in console 3rd person shooters, but it really didn't went along with the roots of RE series being more adventure than action. I believe mixing the too is practically impossible conceptually, so either they had to let go of the action oriented gameplay introduced in RE4, or forget about what RE really was.

I see a great deal of potential for RE: Mercenaries gameplay style to evolve into its own respectable franchise, while RE itself going back to its roots. And I don't want RE:M to be added as a mod too other RE games, cause it will stop it from reaching its full potential.

Boney

Banned
EatChildren said:
Fuck.

EDIT: In which case no, Hunk isn't as good in this as he was in RE4, but that's because his kneck twist melee attack was a one hit kill.
Surprised they got rid of it seeing that Jill has a neck breaker as well. What's HUNK's from behind melee here?

NIN90

Boney said:
Surprised they got rid of it seeing that Jill has a neck breaker as well. What's HUNK's from behind melee here?

It's called Execution. The animation is only like 5 minutes long.

Kevtones

lazybones18 said:

Yeah, it sticks out because all of the 1- are easy SS and so is 2-3.

Also, I did some weird tweener melee with Jill once. It seemed like it happened when the enemy was rising and she jumped and wrapped the guy's legs between her knee and snapped.

Ken

Boney said:
Jill's neck breaker is slow though.

I'm surprised that Hunk lost his front leg stun instant kill melee that was fast and had great knock back, while they gave Krauser pretty much the same thing in this (Stinger).

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I am continuing to encounter network issues with this game, even though I have no problems with SSF4 3D Edition and DOA Dimensions. :\

Ken

Lyte Edge said:
I am continuing to encounter network issues with this game, even though I have no problems with SSF4 3D Edition and DOA Dimensions. :\
Is there an error message or number that comes up when you have network issues?

Lyte Edge

Ken said:
Is there an error message or number that comes up when you have network issues?

It's 006-0112.

Initially I thought it was a problem just trying to connect with a friend of mine, but I'm getting it trying to connect to anyone now.

Ken

Lyte Edge said:
It's 006-0112.

Initially I thought it was a problem just trying to connect with a friend of mine, but I'm getting it trying to connect to anyone now.
I have a different error and Nintendo's site doesn't help at all when searching for your error.

I never played RE5 Mercs but Wesker's Cobra Strike seemed above average in power and and knock back as I was killing multiple enemies easily with one strike.

Lyte Edge

Tried adding the 3DS as an exception in my router settings. So far, so good...

Boney

Banned
Ken said:
Jill's neck breaker is slow though.

I'm surprised that Hunk lost his front leg stun instant kill melee that was fast and had great knock back, while they gave Krauser pretty much the same thing in this (Stinger).
Well yeah but you still have the 5 second added bonus for melee kill so it's not so bad.

Still, I'm so pissed at most design choices in the game and I've yet to try it!

I just want Leon dammit!

XPE

Loving this game but the more you play it the more you see how little effort capcom put into this game, if it isn’t clear when you put in the cart and all you see is a pic no 3D model, then by the credits you will see it clear as day.

There are characters missing, no harbour level and worse of all is that they have some great idea's in here that they don’t fully expand on, like the level that’s has waves.

I just feel that they might have been on to something and the lack of effort was a very bad mistake.

Ken

GGs Smithnco.

Going to take a short break.

I wish there was a way to access the friends list while in Duo mode and that it allowed me to see if friends are hosting games.

SmithnCo

Good games today Ken.

It would have been nice if there was a system that let you know if people are hosting, I hope they have some kind of communication in place by the time other games like Mario Kart come out.

Man, disappointed to hear Hunk's neck breaker got dropped. Especially on the village level in 4, it was so fun to have a huge going and then just not even give a fuck when the bosses come out.

I definitely prefer it when a boss makes you sweat and struggle to kill them without dropping your combo, but it was fun to play with Hunk to feel like a badass every now and then.

Ken

SmithnCo said:
Good games today Ken.

It would have been nice if there was a system that let you know if people are hosting, I hope they have some kind of communication in place by the time other games like Mario Kart come out.
Yeah good games.

Sorry about those failed Ex-8 runs.I need to figure out a way to take out both the early executioner and chainsaw majini pair early on with Jill's load out.

Anyone on?

kiryogi

Banned
Woo home. Anyone going to be on later?

Ken said:
Yeah good games.

Sorry about those failed Ex-8 runs.I need to figure out a way to take out both the early executioner and chainsaw majini pair early on with Jill's load out.

Anyone on?

The friend I've been playing with uses Jill, but dropped her loadout for Chris. We make an awesome Claire/Jill team.

Ken

kiryogi said:
Woo home. Anyone going to be on later?

The friend I've been playing with uses Jill, but dropped her loadout for Chris. We make an awesome Claire/Jill team.
I'll be on in half an hour or so if you're still playing.

randomwab

Dumb question, but how do you unlock the weapon loadouts for other characters? I've been playing almost exclusively as Jill up to this point because I like the simplicity in her weapon set, but I wouldn't mind trying it out with some faster melee options.

Also, Nemesis556 and myself have been playing a ton over the weekend. We’re usually hitting either an S or SS rank for everything we play, but we’ve come up to the EX levels and shit got real. Can’t wait to jump back in.

SmithnCo

randomwab said:
Dumb question, but how do you unlock the weapon loadouts for other characters? I've been playing almost exclusively as Jill up to this point because I like the simplicity in her weapon set, but I wouldn't mind trying it out with some faster melee options.

Also, Nemesis556 and myself have been playing a ton over the weekend. We’re usually hitting either an S or SS rank for everything we play, but we’ve come up to the EX levels and shit got real. Can’t wait to jump back in.

Go to the weapon change screen and tap one of the question marks. You'll be prompted to use play coins to buy other loadouts. You can also SS all of a character's missions to get them but using coins is far faster.

There actually is a way to erase the save data.
*Gasp*

I don't like the "apparently" in the story title - smacks of "we aren't brave enough to actually try this, but by all means you go for it if you like!"
And to fit the cart into the adaptor you will need to physically saw off the 3DS only tab, which may affect the resale value even more than leaving a save on it ;-)

I don't know if it has been mentioned here, but the german translation of this game will probably go down in history as one of the worst translations of all times.

A few examples: In the REvelation Demo, the message for the dead end on the staircase was translated literally into "totes Ende" instead of Sackgasse.

But the funniest google translator fail comes with Mission 4.5. Wave can mean multiple things, but the german translation chose "Winken", which means to wave (at someone).
So instead of "Welle 1" it reads "Winken 1"

NIN90

boris feinbrand said:
I don't know if it has been mentioned here, but the german translation of this game will probably go down in history as one of the worst translations of all times.

A few examples: In the REvelation Demo, the message for the dead end on the staircase was translated literally into "totes Ende" instead of Sackgasse.

But the funniest google translator fail comes with Mission 4.5. Wave can mean multiple things, but the german translation chose "Winken", which means to wave (at someone).
So instead of "Welle 1" it reads "Winken 1"

Yeah, this game made me change my system language to English. I just couldn't take it anymore.

Top Bottom