• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

jtrov

Alright, logging on now. Just create a room, and I'll join. :)

EDIT: Ughhh, such cheap shot deaths. Both times occurred when it lagged to open the door...

Wow, I am playing like shit tonight. :/

basik

EatChildren said:
Are these achievement medals bugged? One requires you complete any mission on rank four or above and kill all enemies using only gunshots. I did that. Selected a one of the rank four missions, finished with an A, and every kill I got was with a pistol, revolver or rifle. No explosive, melee or environment kills. Yet I never got the medal.

WHAT THE FUCK MERCENARIES?

yea I think they are bugged. I got "obtain all skills" even though I had like 12 to go.
and I got one for killing all enemies using only a gun even though I was using mines and melee too when I got it.

Ken

jtrov said:

EDIT: Ughhh, such cheap shot deaths. Both times occurred when it lagged to open the door...

I've had those nights too ]:

jtrov

Hey Emp, if you're still on I'll try hosting. I think we could've strung some good combos on EX-7, but there were a few times where the connection would hang and I couldn't interact with anything on the map.

Good games though. Sorry for my lousy play early on.

jtrov said:

Ugh. Sorry about the dropped matches. I'm sure it was my fault. I'm replacing my router tomorrow and I'll be back with none of that hopefully. I had fun but I'm done for the night thanks to that. We were on a roll on some of those dropped matches too! :(

EDIT: if you want to host I'm up for it. Worth a shot.

jtrov

Good games tonight Emp. Hunk was definitely a bad choice of mine for EX-2, hardly any crowd control with everyone wearing masks. It renders my flash grenades worthless, lol.

jtrov

Ken said:
Hunk seems like a bad choice for any mission.

Lol, this is also true. I just really enjoy his melee attacks, and I can string together some good time bonuses. However, when it comes to these EX-Missions, he is pretty much worthless. Especially when the bosses begin to enter the map. :(

GGs jtrov and Smithnco. I stayed up way later than I thought I was going to. This is going to end up as my most played 3ds game if it isn't already. Bed time!

Just checked and it's #3 at 20 hours and 35 minutes. So good.

Reclaimer

Good to see there seems to be lots of fun being had! Admittedly, I'm a bit surprised after the initial hate fest.

I LOVED RE4 single player story, and enjoyed the RE4 mercs for a bit, but never really played much of RE5 mercs. I remember enjoying how visceral popping off headshots felt. Does this translate well enough to the 3DS for me to revisit?

Also, my hands started cramping up a bit with Zelda OoT, but mostly because of the marathon play sessions. How are the controls for Mercs comfort wise? Do they "fit" the 3DS well? (too many damn games don't allow enough custom controls mapping)

kiryogi

Banned
Yes, weapon sounds aside. It's still pretty brutal to nail a good exploding headshot or smashing their head under your heels. Especially if you're wearing stilettos :D <3 Claire

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Game gets better later on, I feel..
but still not all it could/should have been..oh well maybe Mercs 2 will sort it out ;)

still replaying the RE: R Demo, I am so excited for this game..

is it early 2012 it comes out?

Ken

jtrov said:
Lol, this is also true. I just really enjoy his melee attacks, and I can string together some good time bonuses. However, when it comes to these EX-Missions, he is pretty much worthless. Especially when the bosses begin to enter the map. :(
Scored 400k on Ex-5 with Hunk + Chris load out so he's not horrible. His Mr. Death outfit has the 3rd highest 'defense' so he does well charging into enemies with a shotgun. I ate a few explosives and didn't go into a dying state (but did drop into critical). I think he's fine as long as Hunk players aren't expecting to go into missions meleeing everyone like in RE4 since most of his melee attacks in this are terrible (Triple Tap + map geometry= miss).

Ugh at random Wesker getting chainsawed with 5 seconds left on Ex-8.

Added you Mind. BTW there's a Friend Codes thread for this game in the Community section. My FC, as well as a ton others, are in there.

kiryogi

Banned
Hah sorry about that especially after coming off of that random Wesker for you. Think if I finally played with a serious skill lineup the bosses wouldnt be as bad XD ... Still leveling up tho.

Ken

GGs kiryogi.

Going to call it a night. Will be on tomorrow again hopefully with something better than my setups tonight.

Was trying to see how having Adreneline and Close Range would help with keeping combos with Jill, but maybe I should have put it on someone like Hunk who is less squishy lol.

I think the only skill that helps directly with fighting bosses is Giant Killing. Since you're using the PSG-1, you won't need rate of fire up.

Ken said:
Scored 400k on Ex-5 with Hunk + Chris load out so he's not horrible. His Mr. Death outfit has the 3rd highest 'defense' so he does well charging into enemies with a shotgun. I ate a few explosives and didn't go into a dying state (but did drop into critical). I think he's fine as long as Hunk players aren't expecting to go into missions meleeing everyone like in RE4 since most of his melee attacks in this are terrible (Triple Tap + map geometry= miss).

Ugh at random Wesker getting chainsawed with 5 seconds left on Ex-8.

Added you Mind. BTW there's a Friend Codes thread for this game in the Community section. My FC, as well as a ton others, are in there.

Shoot left leg
press y
profit.

Still not as cool as his neckbreaker in RE4 (the blood gushing out the ganados mouths was just pure evil) but very effective.

Ken

boris feinbrand said:
Shoot left leg
press y
profit.

Still not as cool as his neckbreaker in RE4 (the blood gushing out the ganados mouths was just pure evil) but very effective.
The End is on the slow side and doesn't put you in a good position if there are multiple enemies around you, unlike neck breaker that pushed away all enemies around you. There's also an awkward half second pause after finishing the animation where Hunk stands still, though that might be online lag. It's still alright I guess since it's at least a front leg instant kill.

Ken said:
The End is on the slow side and doesn't put you in a good position if there are multiple enemies around you, unlike neck breaker that pushed away all enemies around you. There's also an awkward half second pause after finishing the animation where Hunk stands still, though that might be online lag. It's still alright I guess since it's at least a front leg instant kill.
I will never forgive them for taking out the neckbreaker... allthough that shit was overpowered like hell, it just looked so damn brutal. Spraying a line of enemies with the TMP, and then chain neck breaking them in under 7 seconds. Just the sound made me cringe at times.
I didn't play enough to test all the executions and their benefits, but from what I can tell, Jill has some pretty neat melee combos that create room and seem to be pretty strong.

The real problem with Hunk is that it takes ages to dispatch of boss characters. If you don't have some grenades or mines.

Ken

boris feinbrand said:
I will never forgive them for taking out the neckbreaker... allthough that shit was overpowered like hell, it just looked so damn brutal. Spraying a line of enemies with the TMP, and then chain neck breaking them in under 7 seconds. Just the sound made me cringe at times.
I didn't play enough to test all the executions and their benefits, but from what I can tell, Jill has some pretty neat melee combos that create room and seem to be pretty strong.

The real problem with Hunk is that it takes ages to dispatch of boss characters. If you don't have some grenades or mines.
I think Jill's best melee is her Double Knee Drop on downed enemies. It's fast and I believe has a high critical rate on the head. Her instant kill rear leg Neck Twist isn't terrible but it's not good either since it's a little lengthy and you end up in an awkward position that might make it hard to combo from.

Yeah, I agree that Hunk's load out is terrible for bosses. His G. Launcher does nothing to garradors and masked enemies, and his AK has the smallest clip size of all the MGs, but it does do the most damage. It'd probably be easy to run out of ammo fighting multiple bosses without grenades.

Trying to figure out how to make characters work well and experimentation is probably going to add a lot more playtime to my game than I expected to.

Sadist said:
Okay, this game is cool. Fudge critics.

No, I'd say most of them are very fair. The game was rushed, it is obvious from the content, the technical execution and missed opportunities, but more or less all reviews have stated how fun the game is.

Its a solid foundation for a new game later on. I know I will buy a fleshed out and improved sequel.

jtrov

Hey Ken, what would be a good load out then for Hunk? I've been using Mr.Death Hunk 90% of the time since I unlocked him, but I'm using his default loadout (which seems crappy in EX). I don't have any Play Coins, or know how to get them, so is there another method to obtaining other character loadouts?

ravien56

Mainly been playing this at night, I see a few of you guys online, but I’m so lazy to go upstairs on my comp and message here to get a game going. There is no way to message someone through the 3ds?

ravien56

jtrov said:
Hey Ken, what would be a good load out then for Hunk? I've been using Mr.Death Hunk 90% of the time since I unlocked him, but I'm using his default loadout (which seems crappy in EX). I don't have any Play Coins, or know how to get them, so is there another method to obtaining other character loadouts?
Turn on your ds, close the screen so its still running in standby. Walk 1000 steps to get 10 play coins. Each 100 steps=1 play coin, 10 max coins per day. Also, there are differences between costumes other than just the look?

MooMoo

jtrov said:
Can't answer your load out question for Hunk as I haven't played this game nearly as much as I've wanted to. But for your other questions:

1. You get one play coin for every 100 steps you make (remember, the 3DS also serves as a pedometer so long as it's actually on. It won't count steps if it's powered off). You max out at 10 coins/day for a total of 1000 steps/10 coins for each day. If you have by any chance been carrying your 3DS around with you powered on, there's a good chance you already have the coins unlocked (look at the top screen. Along the top you'll see an icon alternate between a footsteps icon, indicating the total number of steps you've walked for the day, and a coin icon, indicating the total number of play coins currently available for use).
2. The only other alternative to unlocking the loadouts is supposedly by scoring SS ranks for said character in every mission up to 5-5 (i.e. to get Rebecca's loadout unlocked, you have to use her and score SS on every mission).

ravien56 said:
Mainly been playing this at night, I see a few of you guys online, but I’m so lazy to go upstairs on my comp and message here to get a game going. There is no way to message someone through the 3ds?
Unfortunately no (SCREW YOU NINTENDO GIVE ME MY MESSAGING SYSTEM). The only thing I can think of is since you can suspend 3DS games, you can just alternate between the game and the 3DS broswer (using mobile meebo, browsing NeoGAF, etc. etc.).

I already bought and sold the game, but like an addict I feel the itch coming back.

I should just wait for what could be an AMAZING sequel but the format of the game is just so absolutely perfect for a handheld. Based on the super short Revelations demo I really think this will have ended up being the better of the two games.

jtrov

Thanks for the response guys. Guess I'm going to carry my 3DS with me today so I can earn some coins.

Also, for a character like Krauser, is it possible to find more RPG ammo? Or is two shots all you really get?

Sadist

boris feinbrand said:
No, I'd say most of them are very fair. The game was rushed, it is obvious from the content, the technical execution and missed opportunities, but more or less all reviews have stated how fun the game is.

Its a solid foundation for a new game later on. I know I will buy a fleshed out and improved sequel.
First reaction ;)

Anyway, the game at it's core is great but the presentation is bare bones.

jtrov said:
Also, for a character like Krauser, is it possible to find more RPG ammo? Or is two shots all you really get?
Two is all you get, but you can make liberal use of the mines.

I actually like magnum loadouts better (save for the big bossfight) precisely because you CAN get more ammo. Also magnum loadouts tend to have a secondary weapon that's pretty beastly, especially in comparison to the knife.

Especially on a level like the ship, the rifle makes you unstoppable so long as you have enough ammo to spam it against people coming up ladders.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
meltingparappa said:
I already bought and sold the game, but like an addict I feel the itch coming back.

I should just wait for what could be an AMAZING sequel but the format of the game is just so absolutely perfect for a handheld. Based on the super short Revelations demo I really think this will have ended up being the better of the two games.

I agree that Revelations will be the better of the two..(hopefully) jsut make it like resi 4 :D I will be happy

jufonuk said:
I agree that Revelations will be the better of the two..(hopefully) jsut make it like resi 4 :D I will be happy
Haw, I was actually trying to say that I think Mercenaries will end up being better than Revelations. The way the engine and action work on the 3DS is perfect, if only it had a bigger budget around it.

The Revelations demo seemed painfully methodical with just enough level of fidelity to rob the environment of all its mystery.

I would love to be wrong, but this version of Mercenaries reminds me that post-Mikami RE is at its best when its at pure suspenseful action. Revelations and the blob monsters have a huge uphill climb to be scary without the next-gen spectacle while still carrying all the existing baggage of the series.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
meltingparappa said:
I was actually trying to say that I think Mercenaries will end up being better than Revelations. The way the engine and action work on the 3DS is perfect, if only it had a bigger budget around it.

Well if Revelations keeps the levels/quests etc to bite sized chunks I will be happy. but hopefully the pacing of Resi 4

Mercs is great but incomplete and if Capcom took the time to include more levels more modes (survival a seperate training mode), maybe mission based on enemy waves it could be a great blast..
Still hopeful Revelations will be the bette overal product..

mercs certainly seems like the better handheld game. i liked the revelations demo but didn't get much out of it that i didn't get from dead space iOS.

Ken

ravien56 said:
Turn on your ds, close the screen so its still running in standby. Walk 1000 steps to get 10 play coins. Each 100 steps=1 play coin, 10 max coins per day. Also, there are differences between costumes other than just the look?
Yes, but there's only one difference.

A costume for any given character will have greater healing by herbs but take more damage from enemies.
The second costume for the same character will have the reverse stats; herbs will heal less but damage is reduced.

If you want numbers for this, let me know and I'll make a post with them.

jtrov said:

I'd probably try Chris' load out since it seems to be the most rounded. The shotgun is great for running around and getting a lot of kills quickly, and the sniper rifle is a boss killer (Red Executioners go down in about 4-5 headshots, giant chainsaw man is stunned with one shot to the leg). The pistol is decent but I only use it to melee kill when I'm low on shotgun ammo. The sniper rifle does have a low rate of fire but there are skills to fix that if you think it's too slow.

I'm not a fan of load outs with rare ammo so I can't suggest Krauser, Barry, or Wesker's load outs (with Krauser's you'd be getting a billion herbs you probably won't need as Mr. Death Hunk).

345triangle said:
i'm mostly playing as jill because i find the shotgun best for the chainsaw guys, but am open to suggestions!

4-5 is the shipyard wave-based mission right?

With Jill and her load out, try to down enemies as quickly as possible with your machine gun, and run past them a little so you can do the Double Knee Drop on their heads and usually kill them with the critical. Even if you can't down them with the MG, the Rising Kick/Kick Up(can't remember the name) is still great for clearing guys out in front and setting up for multiple knee drops. Also, the majini in military uniforms don't need to be knee dropped on the head; they'll die from the knee drop on anywhere. With the majini equipped with leg armor, shoot their shoes for an easy Rising Kick.

If you have trouble with shielded enemies, take out your knife, run up to them, and knife them.

Save your grenades and mines for the bosses. Down garradors as quickly as possible, run up to them, and shoot their back with the machine gun. It shouldn't take a full clip for it to die. Down chainsaw bosses with grenades and run up to them and spam as much shotgun shots into them as you can. Back up and repeat. If you're low on shotgun ammo or grenades, the MG does decent damage as well against bosses for downing from afar and it's better than running until you can find more shotgun ammo or grenades.

If there are those mini gun bosses, I'd just run up to him and fire as many shotgun shots point blank into him as you can. His mini gun doesn't do much damage, and it's nothing a herb can't heal.

miksar

I noticed some awful enemy animation when they approach you from far away or when you shoot them standing on roofs. How come I see it in the retail version of the game, Capcom?

miksar said:
I noticed some awful enemy animation when they approach you from far away or when you shoot them standing on roofs. How come I see it in the retail version of the game, Capcom?
That is just the engine saving memory, apparently.
I'm surprised at how much it bothers people. Kind of adorable, really. Their actions aren't herky jerky enough to mess up sniping for me.

SmithnCo

Eff that last guy on EX-6, it took me and basik like three minutes to find him, lol. Sometimes it can be hard to find remaining guys in the levels in general, especially on levels like the ship or something.

Az987

all good things
Damn I suck at this game.

I can't beat 5-5 and my best scores on levels 4 and 5 are B's lol

I haven't played a mercenaries game since RE4 on Gamecube but I thought I was good then.

Top Bottom