• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

aj2good4you2 said:
well i loved resistance 1 but i can only choose either this or LBP for the next month due to budget issues so i wanted to see for myself.

I would just get LittleBigPlanet next month and then pick R2 up when you have some more money.

If you have to choose, of course. I just think LBP is the more groundbreaking game.

Private Hoffman said:
I would just get LittleBigPlanet next month and then pick R2 up when you have some more money.

If you have to choose, of course. I just think LBP is the more groundbreaking game.

i am kinda leaning towards LBP just cause i loved the beta so much, but i also put countless hours into R1 mutiplayer and i love the story. but i'm downloading the beta now so ill see.

i have a feeling playing this beta is gonna make the decision even harder...:lol

Dizzan

MINI Member
Private Hoffman said:

I disagree. Get R2 and enjoy the multiplayer straight away. There will be heaps of people at the same skill level wanting to play co-op.

You can also talk about the story with Gaf as you play through.

LBP will have sooo much content if you pick it up in a few months. There will be endless levels online that will be rated so theres no need to play through crap to get to the gold.

Thats my plan anyway.

Ploid 3.0

At first I was only going to get one (R2), but now I'm getting them both asap. I also opened gamefly but no games at my box yet. Might end up canceling after I play bioshock to see what all the fuss is about. Might stick ninja storm in there too, and Tomb Raider Underworld.

Esperado

Dizzan said:
I disagree. Get R2 and enjoy the multiplayer straight away. There will be heaps of people at the same skill level wanting to play co-op.

LBP will have sooo much content if you pick it up in a few months. There will be endless levels online that will be rated so theres no need to play through crap to get to the gold.

Thats my plan anyway.

Same here. Once I played R2, the decision was made. I'm either going to get LittleBigPlanet at Circuit City if they do the $15 gift card or I'll just wait until I can get for around $40 either in a store or on Ebay. The Multiplayer and Co-op is just so ridiculously good.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, haha, this is so good.

First I was disappointed with the bulls-eye online. I kept getting 5 kills while others had 10+ by the end of each round...

I switched to the grenade launcher and :lol :lol :lol now I'm getting like 20 kills each round.

Nerf, anyone?

Ploid 3.0

Seiken said:

First I was disappointed with the bulls-eye online. I kept getting 5 kills while others had 10+ by the end of each round...

I switched to the grenade launcher and :lol :lol :lol now I'm getting like 20 kills each round.

Nerf, anyone?

But but, the grenade launcher is "too weak"! I actually liked it from my brief time with it (went back to co-op). Fire!

Seiken said:

Nerf, anyone?

Seriously? I'm lucky to get 2-3 kills every 10 minutes with the Bellock. That and the Splicer need some serious work done to them, IMO, even though I love them. It's a shame that in a Resistance sequel, the boring traditional military rifle is still the best weapon.

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
I am so glad the Insomniac listened to the changes from the private beta. R2 now feels like an extension of R1 and even better. Only thing I miss is at the end of matches you could see all the ribbons you earned during the match.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Pai Pai Master said:
Seriously? I'm lucky to get 2-3 kills every 10 minutes with the Bellock. That and the Splicer need some serious work done to them, IMO, even though I love them. It's a shame that in a Resistance sequel, the boring traditional military rifle is still the best weapon.
Weird, really I don't aim with the weapon. I just hold down R1 till I need to reload. Everything dies in my way >_>

Dizzan said:

Thats my plan anyway.

I'm getting both, but my interest after the R2 beta has started to wane.

I don't find the online modes to be very fun, so I'll be playing R2 exclusively for the single player. I hope it delivers.

At this point, I'd much rather play LBP (and I was in that beta, too) than I would R2.

Insomniac hath disappointed me :(

For ambitious games like this, I'm not sure if the 1 year dev cycle works. It feels very unpolished in the gameplay/balancing department.

They didn't deliver the 'ordered chaos' that I thought they were going to deliver on.

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
Private Hoffman said:

I don't find the online modes to be very fun, so I'll be playing R2 exclusively for the single player. I hope it delivers.

At this point, I'd much rather play LBP (and I was in that beta, too) than I would R2.

For ambitious games like this, I'm not sure if the 1 year dev cycle works. It feels very unpolished in the gameplay/balancing department.

They didn't deliver the 'ordered chaos' that I thought they were going to deliver on.
Did you do ranked matches (just pressing PLAY at menu)? For me, for whatever reason, ranked got me to enjoy the multiplayer more.

Greg

Not going to lie... I had absolutely no hype for this game until I saw the most recent trailer and that new commercial - fucking amazing.

SOCOM already has a lock on most of my multiplayer time (haven't played R2 yet, so maybe if all this co-op talk is true that will change), but I can't fucking wait to play the SP-campaign now.

I forgot how much I played the first game during launch week... hell, I think I burned through every difficulty in the first week.

iceatcs

What happening the aiming? It's keep missing, which it wasn't like that I was played R1.
Is it "x-ray" view have gone now?
It wasn't played like first one but maybe I haven't play for long time.

But I'm really enjoy with co-op online mode, it is so hot fun. I hoping there will be classic on-line mode addition for people who like first one but it might be too much spread.

Ploid 3.0

Seiken said:
Weird, really I don't aim with the weapon. I just hold down R1 till I need to reload. Everything dies in my way >_>

Same, I don't try to nail the person with the grenade or fire. I create obstacles (evil grin). A lot of people running in my alley of doom? Bomba1!! It's neat for defending too I think.

iceatcs said:
What happening the aiming? It's keep missing, which it wasn't like that I was played R1.
Is it "x-ray" view have gone now?
It wasn't played like first one but maybe I haven't play for long time.

But I'm really enjoy with co-op online mode, it is so hot fun. I hoping there will be classic on-line mode addition for people who like first one but it might be too much spread.

Use the Iron Sights on the Auger to see enemies through walls. For Chimera, the Chimeran Rage berserk will give Hybrid vision to you and your nearby teammates.

And the gunplay is a little different. You don't have the absolute pinpoint accuracy you did in the first game.

EktorPR

Private Hoffman said:

Oh wow...so Killzone 2 has you hypnotized now, Hoffman?

Guled

RavenFox said:
My God I just saw the 60sec commercial looking at Fringe. All over my face insomniac all over my mofo face
ya, its really amazing. Its really nice to see Sony start to promote this game

cameltoe

the max turn speed is still waaaaay to slow...the controls feel, odd to me....oh well. May not buy this....cod 4 has ruined all other fps for me!!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Private Hoffman said:

You play much Skirmish?

Nafai1123

Banned
Anyone have any extra beta codes? I applied for the public beta at the site but I haven't gotten an email and I'm going through FPS withdrawl! Help me please!

JB1981

So Jsteve: I take it Meltdown and Breach are never to return?

Tell me there are some unrevealed surprises in store for us .....

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
JB1981 said:
So Jsteve: I take it Meltdown and Breach are never to return?

Tell me there are some unrevealed surprises in store for us .....

Meltdown and Breach are not on the disc or day one patch... If you remember though, we did add modes with RFOM patches (Assault, Team Conversion)... so who knows what the future may hold?

Guled

jstevenson said:
Meltdown and Breach are not on the disc or day one patch... If you remember though, we did add modes with RFOM patches (Assault, Team Conversion)... so who knows what the future may hold?
nice :D Also, do you guys plan to support home and/or content for LBP?

jstevenson said:
You play much Skirmish?

Only a little. I haven't played it ranked yet because I couldn't get it to work. So mostly just the lobbies so far.

I dunno why, but I preferred the different 'skirmish/objective' modes of the original Resistance more, even if it wasn't as 'controlled'. Beacon control seems to get old pretty quickly for me.

EktorPR

A question: is there an easier way to connect with your friends online? I've figured its done through the "Allies" shortcut, but it's extremely cumbersome since it lists every single contact you have on your friends list, and not the ones that are online exclusively playing R2.

Private Hoffman said:
Hypnotized and probed

I still hope to see you online to play a game of LBP (you know, the one you OWE me :D ).

tanod

when is my burrito
I need some more GAFfers with the R2 beta on my friend's list.

Please check my GAF profile for my PSN and send me a friend's request along with your GAF username.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I haven't been able to play the public beta yet (servers weren't connecting for me on Sunday) but I'm cautiously optimistic after the fun I had with the private beta coop. That's the best part of the game I've played, IMHO. I really enjoy it.

Guled

tanod said:
I need some more GAFfers with the R2 beta on my friend's list.

Please check my GAF profile for my PSN and send me a friend's request along with your GAF username.

Thanks in advance!
when are you usually on?

EktorPR said:
A question: is there an easier way to connect with your friends online? I've figured its done through the "Allies" shortcut, but it's extremely cumbersome since it lists every single contact you have on your friends list, and not the ones that are online exclusively playing R2.

I still hope to see you online to play a game of LBP (you know, the one you OWE me :D ).

Oh, I'll definitely be online in LBP.

I was hoping it was gonna get released this week :(

RavenFox said:
My God I just saw the 60sec commercial looking at Fringe. All over my face insomniac all over my mofo face

have to be honest here, I don't like that commercial much. I like it that it tried to bring the focus on the story and I do like Resistance story and lore a lot, but I always think of them in comic book, holywood popcorn flick kind of story. meaning, I don't take the story too seriously.

I care for what will happen to Hale, but I don't fear Chimera as much as these people seem to fear them in the commercial so the commercial just don't grab me.

in fact, rather than making me more hyped for the game's story. I'm actually kinda put off by the cheesy feel it has. it also have this feel of pretentiousness. like it want you to think the chimera is bigger deal than just the usual comic book monster you kill.

oh, and it remind me of Halo commercial where they got old people in war museum narrating about Master Chief as if he's real person, but at least in that commercial, they focus on Master Chief, the main character, than the chimera, the enemy in R2 commercial

tanod

when is my burrito
Guled said:
when are you usually on?

I'm usually available to play between 8-10PM CST during the weekdays and 1-4PM in the afternoons on Saturdays and Sundays. Having a kid and getting a promotion at my job has drastically reduced my flexibility and free time to play games.

I should have more time after the election which coincidentally is R2 launch day. WOOT!

tfur

Nafai1123 said:
Anyone have any extra beta codes? I applied for the public beta at the site but I haven't gotten an email and I'm going through FPS withdrawl! Help me please!

still need a code?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Private Hoffman said:
Only a little. I haven't played it ranked yet because I couldn't get it to work. So mostly just the lobbies so far.

I dunno why, but I preferred the different 'skirmish/objective' modes of the original Resistance more, even if it wasn't as 'controlled'. Beacon control seems to get old pretty quickly for me.

Not really about the beacons... Skirmish is designed to set up interesting skirmishes between the squads. I think some of the best team-based battles in multiplayer happen in that mode - and with great frequency.

Private Hoffman said:

It is a bit unfortunate that there are only about 3 different objectives in Skirmish at the moment (defend/swarm beacon, protect/execute priority target, rally). Hopefully they will add some more objectives into the game (perhaps a teleport or core capture). A lot of the people I have played with tend to ignore the objectives which means that you will be defending a beacon but no one will be attacking. Or you will have to defend a beacon for about 1 minute then move to another one and have to defend it for 3-5 minutes. It is nice when the objectives keep you engaged and on the move all the time.

It would also be nice to have some way to tell what 4 other people are on your squad and perhaps what the various team objectives are. As it is now a 20 player team will have 4 squads but you don't know who is with you and you also don't know how successful the other squads on your team are (outside of the overall score).

Top Bottom