• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

tanod

when is my burrito
Loved the commercial, BTW. Reminds me of the Halo 3 ones which I loved. Same ad agency?

*grumbles something about H3's campaign being a total fucking letdown story-wise*

the_prime_mover said:
It is a bit unfortunate that there are only about 3 different objectives in Skirmish at the moment (defend/swarm beacon, protect/execute priority target, rally). Hopefully they will add some more objectives into the game (perhaps a teleport or core capture). A lot of the people I have played with tend to ignore the objectives which means that you will be defending a beacon but no one will be attacking. Or you will have to defend a beacon for about 1 minute then move to another one and have to defend it for 3-5 minutes. It is nice when the objectives keep you engaged and on the move all the time.

It would also be nice to have some way to tell what 4 other people are on your squad and perhaps what the various team objectives are. As it is now a 20 player team will have 4 squads but you don't know who is with you and you also don't know how successful the other squads on your team are (outside of the overall score).

I agree with you 100%. I would love more Skirmish missions as well that don't feel out of place, and yes, I would love an indicator in the map telling me who are in the squad (I'm positive this was available in R:FOM).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OK THAT'S ENOUGH SEIKEN, THAT'S ENOUGH.

*goes to bed*

SSM25

I had to drive 25 miles to my nearest GS, when I got there I kicked the s@!t out of the employees (not really) for not giving me my code when I pre-ordered a couple of weeks ago. Finally I'm ready to go as soon as the download is finished. :D

DrPirate

Banned
shagg_187 said:
I agree with you 100%. I would love more Skirmish missions as well that don't feel out of place, and yes, I would love an indicator in the map telling me who are in the squad (I'm positive this was available in R:FOM).

In Killzone 2, the minimap does a GREAT job of telling you who's in your squad.

I definitly agree on the minimap, squadmates be a different color.

jstevenson said:
Meltdown and Breach are not on the disc or day one patch... If you remember though, we did add modes with RFOM patches (Assault, Team Conversion)... so who knows what the future may hold?
BOOSH!
Assault turned out to be my favorite mode in the end. It was the perfect mix of strategy and chaos; made for some great matches. I can't wait to see what Insomniac will come with.

My test got pushed back 3 weeks and I finished all my programming assignments so I'll be on as much as I can tonight : ) So far, 2 is just way harder than 1 right now, I just can't seem to kill anyone. I even played a few RFOM matches the other night and and still played pretty well. R2 will just take some time like the first did, I played Rfom for 2 years and still haven't perfected the 'LAARK jump'

Man, when this thing glitches, IT GLITCHES!!!

I was just playing a game where my character couldn't die, but every kill I racked up went to someone other than me :lol

Aeon712

jstevenson said:
Meltdown and Breach are not on the disc or day one patch... If you remember though, we did add modes with RFOM patches (Assault, Team Conversion)... so who knows what the future may hold?
Well that freaking sucks, Resistance 2 is such a fucking step backwards.

Sean

Banned
I'm surprised that some people actually enjoy the co-op in this game.

The enemy AI is brain-dead and simply stand around in place soaking up damage like bullet sponges. The worst offender was this big enemy (Titan I think it was called?) holding a rocket launcher - he stared at us for a while and then turned around and got stuck walking into a wall or something. He was defenseless as we all shot at him for what felt like ten minutes straight. Not fun.

Combat just wasn't satisfying at all in co-op. The enemies are so stupid that they're boring to fight, they take way too many bullets to kill, you're extremely limited in combat options, there's no tension or risk of failure at all since you auto-respawn when dying (as long as one teammate is alive). There's just so many things wrong with it IMO. I'll probably buy it for the SP and ignore co-op completely, it's a mess.

Pai Pai Master said:
Seriously? I'm lucky to get 2-3 kills every 10 minutes with the Bellock. That and the Splicer need some serious work done to them, IMO, even though I love them. It's a shame that in a Resistance sequel, the boring traditional military rifle is still the best weapon.

Marksman owns the carbine seven ways from Sunday.

Also, I find the Bellock really good too. Decent rate of fire, only 3 hits to kill, and secondary fire confusses the hell out of people. Splicer, though, definitely needs work. It's worse in every possible way than the bellock AND harder to aim. And shorter range.

Ploid 3.0

Sean said:

The enemy AI is brain-dead and simply stand around in place soaking up damage like bullet sponges. The worst offender was this big enemy (Titan I think it was called?) holding a rocket launcher - he stared at us for a while and then turned around and got stuck walking into a wall or something. He was defenseless as we all shot at him for what felt like ten minutes straight. Not fun.

Combat just wasn't satisfying at all in co-op. The enemies are so stupid that they're boring to fight, they take way too many bullets to kill, you're extremely limited in combat options, there's no tension or risk of failure at all since you auto-respawn when dying (as long as one teammate is alive). There's just so many things wrong with it IMO. I'll probably buy it for the SP and ignore co-op completely, it's a mess.

That's pretty awesome.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Sean said:

B....E....T....A

BE....TA

BETA
BETA
BETA
BETA
ETA
TA
A

iceatcs

Sean said:

Well, few time it went crap but most of time are fine and well A.I. I suspect it is nothing to do with the game. It is all cos of host's faulty, If host has lack of speed bandwidth, all the enemies will be stay still or move slowly to balance for all the players in the team.

I'm lucky to have most of my friends have 5MB upload speed. We are playing together and it was almost perfect but one thing I agreed with you is too much bullets to kill.

The commercial is terrible. Nothing in that would make an uninformed person want Resistance 2. Does Insomniac have ANY input?

Where is the 60 PLAYER MULTIPLAYER. More than triple of Halo 3's.

Where is the 8 PLAYER CO OP ONLINE CAMPAIGN. Double the amount of Halo 3's.

Where are the awesome guns, bosses, set pieces and first person view point?

No one would even know its a game until the last tenth of the whole commercial. Yeah it might make the story interesting or whatever, even though a little asian boy and black lady have nothing to do with Chimera. It needs gameplay, cool gameplay, which Resistance 2 has plenty of. You want people to say "Woah thats awesome," then the go on the internet and see good reviews, then they go buy it. Or they just might skip the internet part. My friend who was with me when we watched it just shrugged and asked me why I said it was awesome and that he should buy it.

It's ok to be cliched Insomniac, just have a cool commercial voice give a quick wrap up of Chimera and show some scary footage. Then go balls out with shooting footage and bosses and big bold letters screaming the features you worked oh so hard on.

wow, im loving the co-op on this and also the game looks awesome on my tv, hardly any aliasing and nice a crisp. but i guess thats expected from IG.

also anyone up for some co-op right now? most people i play with in ranked seem to all pick soldier which leads to everyone dieing. psn=aj2good4you2 if anyone wants to play!:D

I'm going to say something that may sound really stupid

I don't care about the LE extras, but I might buy it just because I like the cover art. Where as I think the regular edition cover art looks terrible. Does that sound reasonable to spend a extra $20?

Good god, this is the FPS of the year, without question. I thought the graphics looked really good in videos and whatnot, but actually playing it is a whole different story.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Rice-Eater said:
I'm going to say something that may sound really stupid

I don't care about the LE extras, but I might buy it just because I like the cover art. Where as I think the regular edition cover art looks terrible. Does that sound reasonable to spend a extra $20?

I'm sure JS and his crew won't mind. In fact, I'd be willing to say that they probably wish we were all like you.

Me on the other, thinks you're crazy.

h3ro

Anyone have an extra code?

I'll regale you with tales from LBP and maybe even send you a pic of my copy if you let me have the code!

I've been away for a few days so I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered. Have IG responded to complaints about the AI (in particular with regard to the bosses) as everyone seemed to be complaing about it? I'm close to preordering the game but I'm a little concerned.

Aeon712

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
B....E....T....A

BE....TA

BETA
BETA
BETA
BETA
ETA
TA
A
Game comes out in 13 days, unless the beta is based on an early build what you see is what you get. This should prob be called a multiplayer demo by now.

Maggot9

Banned
Sean said:

Word. The co op is horse shit. I have the same feelings as you, except I won't be getting the game.

Rolf NB

Yippieh, finally got a working code, started the download yesterday before bed and today ... I won't have time to play until 10pm. Sigh.

Rolf NB

Aeon712 said:
Game comes out in 13 days, unless the beta is based on an early build what you see is what you get. This should prob be called a multiplayer demo by now.
Day 0 patches are quite feasible for online multiplayer games. You can't quite play one and not have a means to grab a patch.
Balancing issues in single-player would be a bigger concern.

Kweh

Aeon712 said:

What, really? :O

DAMNIT DAMNIT!
Why the fu#$ are routers such a pain in the ass I switched my PS3 to run on a DMZ but
I still cant connect to any games on the beta AHHH its driving me crazy im about ready to
just give my beta code away since it wont do me any good.

fanboi

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
DAMNIT DAMNIT!
Why the fu#$ are routers such a pain in the ass I switched my PS3 to run on a DMZ but
I still cant connect to any games on the beta AHHH its driving me crazy im about ready to

Surley, you should give it away, take a vaccation!
Give it to the key mazter*

* me

Maggot9

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
DAMNIT DAMNIT!
Upgrade your firmware.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
B....E....T....A

BE....TA

BETA
BETA
BETA
BETA
ETA
TA
A

Why do people keep saying this? I'm really liking the game, but the game has already gone gold.

I've had fun in co-op, but I've only done two of them. I just like killing people, sorry, and I'm liking the game better and better on that front with each match. 10 man San Fransisco is amazing... (especially when everyone else is running around with carbines and bullseyes).

Rainy Dog

BruceLeeRoy said:
DAMNIT DAMNIT!

You're not alone Bruce. Though after scouring half a dozen message boards since Friday it does seem it is only you and I that can't get the bloody thing to work! I've gone through 2 beta keys and nearly 7gb's of bandwidth downloading the US beta twice and the UK one once, but just doesn't want to let me in :(

You had problems with any other online games before? I haven't. My net connection's perfectly fine too so absolutely no idea what we're up against...

Rainy Dog

fanboi said:
It could work, are you using wireless or cable?
Brand and model of your router?

Fanboi, mine's a Speedtouch v546 4-port wired router. Firmware is up to date and had absolutely zero issues with it for the last 3 years.

At first I was like D: then was like :O then back to D:

I never played Resistance before except for the demo on PSN, so this was my first.

At first I was like oh shit this feels loose and shitty, then I got used to it and felt fine.

Then I tried Co-op, at first I was like oh man cool 8 player co-op and no lag, then the chimera appear and I was getting frustrated because I thought it was legging but it turned out that the enemies need a full clip of ammo to die, just for one to die, then I was like WTF didly uck is this shit?
Every enemy requires shit loads of bullets and the bosses... oh my god at the bosses, SO BORING. you just stand there with the machine gun and hold R1 until the magical line reaches zero. I tried medic and found that even more boring since I just hide behind the soldier and he protects me and I revive him but I do less damage so... yeah.

And the AI, I don't think it even exists in this game at all, just stand there and wait until they die, and oh yeah they move around a bit but will stop when they collide with the other chimera. BRAIN DEAD AI!

Co-op is basically a really shitty version of Left4Dead (shit AI, boring, pacing sucks, really useless and no need for it at all)

And the weapons. they feel like staplers with scopes, the only one that felt satisfying is the grenade launcher thingy.

Also, the character customization looks like joke, I have no idea what to do when I am in that menu, I don't understand the presets and all that shit with it.

I wish Insomniac stops with this a game every year crap, this game needs more time.

my shooter money is leaning towards Killzone 2. sorry.

BTW it's 2:30 AM and I could be just cranky too.

Top Bottom