• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

M3Freak

Banned
jstevenson said:
That's what I call the White Mage run...

I played an all medic co-op game with a few GAF clan guys (queeg, sutdawg, and possibly a few more) during the private beta. Holy shit did that take long. It was funny as hell, but it worked.

Union Carbine said:
[*]I'm conflicted about getting into good sniping/long range/flanking positions and doing ammo distribution- ammo distribution alone is not satisfying.[/LIST]

This. I find a great position and continue sniping, but the rest of the team moves into the center of the battle, so I can't get them ammo. I'm also an offensive medic, so I'll attack more then I heal.

desertdroog

I spent a good amount of time playing the coop this past weekend (as much time as I could break away and control my shared tv, that is). I have exclusively played as the Soldier, because I wanted to see how the level progression worked with just one character, and it was the first round robin default class assigned to me at the time.

When the game comes out, I plan to start as a medic then go Spec ops before returning to the Soldier. From what I have seen on the frontlines, I would rather push the newbies into being the bullet sponges, while playing the school marm and giving orders with healing in the hopes I can foster teamwork out of the box on day one. Thus enriching the online environs the best I can if I can affect it at all.

It kind of sucks, because I want to delve into the other classes, but I want to let that experience be fresh when the game drops.

When you get a group of people together that have a clue or at least a headset, the teams naturally form into the most efficient ratio of class outfits and people don't always have to be the bullet thrower. Maybe it is the beta community, those rabid Resistance fans who are skewing my view of online play, but it has been rewarding thus far and I cannot wait to see the finalized code in the release.

Ploid 3.0

Metalmurphy said:
I'll give you one if you guys quit trolling the PS3 :p

Maybe with the beta they can complain about how the graphics don't look quite as good as spyro the dragon's singleplayer?

I don't know screw attack but if they really do troll it, getting this beta could offer them more spinning ammo.. get it? Spinning ammo? Splicer, and spin of facts to troll? JK on the pun thing. I'm messing around all throughout this post. (All sarcasm)

Screwattackz: Omg these graphics look horrible. Such a mess, the grass don't have self shadowing, and the lighting isn't like the footage we saw of the singleplayer cg video. I guess that confirms that it was made off computers and not ingame.

NIN90

Game just froze one me during Skirmish on Orick.

And how do i regen my health? It doesn't regen as time passes by like CoD4, R1 or whatever.

dhelfric said:
Game just froze one me during Skirmish on Orick.

And how do i regen my health? It doesn't regen as time passes by like CoD4, R1 or whatever.
It's a server side option. The host probably disabled it.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Ploid 3.0 said:
Maybe with the beta they can complain about how the graphics don't look quite as good as spyro the dragon's singleplayer?

I don't know screw attack but if they really do troll it, getting this beta could offer them more spinning ammo.. get it? Spinning ammo? Splicer, and spin of facts to troll? JK on the pun thing. I'm messing around all throughout this post. (All sarcasm)

Screwattackz: Omg these graphics look horrible. Such a mess, the grass don't have self shadowing, and the lighting isn't like the footage we saw of the singleplayer cg video. I guess that confirms that it was made off computers and not ingame.

Insert a cow mooing sound effect right after that and you've nailed it.

DestinRL

Metalmurphy said:
I'll give you one if you guys quit trolling the PS3 :p

LOL, we don't ALWAYS make fun of the PS3. We were actually able to get Little Big Planet on the show when the beta was released and it was awesome.

DestinRL said:
LOL, we don't ALWAYS make fun of the PS3. We were actually able to get Little Big Planet on the show when the beta was released and it was awesome.
Hum, that's not good enough.

Tell you what. I'll give you one but you'll have to convince James to say I'm awesome on an AVGN episode.

:lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay guys just listen to what I have to say...

I just played my first cooperative run and I dunno, this seems to be my Game of the Year and I'm not fucking kidding around here.

I was the only medic in the team and it was extremely tough, yet so satisfying when healing people. We all had mics and it was so intense! When there'd be a spawn of chimeras, everyone'd be like "Medic!" and I'd SPAM R2

GOD IT'S SO FUCKING GOOD. I don't know if I want to play more, I want to play the full game NOW!

I'm not kidding, it was so intense, I literally said "Holy shit" like 40 times during the game. God, I love playing as a medic. I want to be a medic IRL now

FUCK

EDIT: I know I'm so hyped right now saying it's "GotY" and stuff but if it remains this intense and fun, it IS the game of the year.

peetfeet

Tried getting a code on IGN earlier but the damn site refused to believe i was in the UK! Feckers!

I'll not say it, but you know what to do if you take pity on me. PM Please.

Dante

Seiken said:

I just played my first cooperative run and I dunno, this seems to be my Game of the Year and I'm not fucking kidding around here.

I was the only medic in the team and it was extremely tough, yet so satisfying when healing people. We all had mics and it was so intense! When there'd be a spawn of chimeras, everyone'd be like "Medic!" and I'd SPAM R2

GOD IT'S SO FUCKING GOOD. I don't know if I want to play more, I want to play the full game NOW!

I'm not kidding, it was so intense, I literally said "Holy shit" like 40 times during the game. God, I love playing as a medic. I want to be a medic IRL now

FUCK

Co-Signed! :D

Seiken said:

:lol

Yes, I'm sure it would be just as fun. Even if our Plasma Beam Rifles ain't as advanced.

sullytao

So I just played the co-op and vs. All I can say is fps of the year without question. Up until 1 hour ago I thought the vs was just the multi mission squad that the devs are talking about but I'm thrilled to see that my favourite modes are there aswell and with full 60 player counts. I really enjoyed the way the first game's multiplayer was done but I love these changes alot more. The graphics arnt brilliant but considering the stress that the players and action will be having on the engine they could have been a hell of alot worse.

I never expected to like the co-op very much. Mostly because the ideaof having classes rather than 8 characters that played identical to the single player one didnt sit well with me. Happily I was very wrong about that. The amount of enemies and gun fire on screen at once was staggering yet it never felt like a chaotic mess thanks to some top notch level design. The A.I. wasn't particularly cunning but the good enemy spawns made up for it. In a away it actually felt like a dungeon raid in one of current big mmo's but in a way that made it fun especially the boss fights.

All in all this is a beast of a game that will be getting a day 1 purchase from me :D

industrian

sullytao said:
All in all this is a beast of a game that will be getting a day 1 purchase from me :D

Resistance 2 sits alongside Valkyria Chronicles as being my only definite day one purchases for the remainder of the year. Insomniac fully deserve my time and money for being one of the few developers this generation who are both always improving and always provide the goods.
And Sega deserves it for finally making a great game after all these years.

Lince

Banned
I want in, I was chosen for the late summer private beta and I was recovering at hospital, couldn't even download it :'(

I want to kill people who don't make their games unlimited rounds in Beta. As soon as a match finishes it's 30 fucking minutes before you can join another :/ Or maybe that's just me.

JB1981

Seiken said:

FUCK

EDIT: I know I'm so hyped right now saying it's "GotY" and stuff but if it remains this intense and fun, it IS the game of the year.

i think i just threw up in my mouth

Dizzan

MINI Member
oneHeero said:
JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.

(Today, 04:33 PM)
Reply | Quote
So you do swallow....

JB must have the most quoted tag on Gaf.

Is there a way to search how many times it's been quoted?

PS. it's getting old :p

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
brandonh83 said:
me too, but my beta is currently downloading. :lol

but for real, I'm very appreciative of those who helped me get in. very much. :D
Lucky you!!

Damn, I should've skipped classes today and waited for IGN beta codes :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
As expected, my second coop run was just as fun... I totally forgot there'd be random generated levels, I was like "Yeah let's move up here" and stuff... This time it was even more intense, we got like four medics and stuff, damn the XP was rolling like no tomorrow!

I'm still shaking by the awesomeness, still shaking. Jesus Christ, what a game.
JB1981 said:
i think i just threw up in my mouth
No, that's just me peeing in your mouth.

tfur

Some of these things may already be addressed, but I though I would give my critique of R2 co op.

a) The Bosses and mini bosses have too many hit points. If they do not have too many hit points, I would at least prefer the option to play levels with:

(num players) * (single player boss HP) + (some value of representative party rank/level) = Boss Hit Points

b) The AI of certain bosses is lacking. We need more movement. I love when the Alpha Grimms chase me, the big bosses should as well.

c) The game could use a quick tutorial level, showing the basics of class tasks. Standing in front of a medic as I have no health, or have no ammo next to a spec op... rubs me the wrong way. A quick primer or even FMV for noobs would go a long way.

d) Music for coop? or a choice to play your own.

e) The effects are incredible. So far my favorite effect relates to the death rays things. When the rays are being deflected by a shield, it looks so beautiful. I also think the sound captures the cleansing fury of a human ash creating ray.

f) There really are an incredible amount of things going with no lag. Seriously... the sheer number of enemies, mixed with your other 7 players all healing, supplying, and killing...

g) I have already maxed out my medic (level 10 in beta) days ago, and my soldier and spec op are on there way there as well.

Pre ordered the LE version. I cannot wait to escape into the Single Player story, and then experience the final coop product.

Yoshichan

No, that's enough. I don't know how I'm supposed to sleep tonight. But I really shouldn't play anymore.

Uggggggggh.

Nightz

Dizzan said:
JB must have the most quoted tag on Gaf.

Is there a way to search how many times it's been quoted?

PS. it's getting old :p
I think jett's "Mr. Negativity" is up there as well.:lol

Yoshichan

Fizzle said:
I've heard that the player movement's is slow and stiff, can anyone shed any light to this?
It works great in coop, haven't tried anything else.

Fizzle

I figured that would work in co-op. No more "I'm superman" COD4 movements.

Anyone who has played competitive, any difference in gameplay fluidity/movement?

industrian

Fizzle said:
I've heard that the player movement's is slow and stiff, can anyone shed any light to this?

No complaints here. Overall movement is good, and there's a sprint button as well.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Fizzle said:

Nope, movements excellent, i'd say who ever is saying that is going of the E3 build that Ted demos where it seemed aweful robotic climbing up the stairs and stuff, controls are ace.

All of the GOTY discussion......... hmmm yeah, i recon its in with a HUGEEEE chance going off whats in the Beta, im so pumped for this game, its something different and completely amazing. Lots of 9/10 and 10/10 if this game gets anything bellow and 8.5 the reviewer is fucking full of rich creamy shit.

after reading about 15 pages this game seems to have exceeded my expectations, is it truly as addictive as it sounds?!:lol :lol

also, is this beta gonna be gradually opened up to more people anytime soon?

Wollan

JS, is November 28th the actual EU release date?

I find it weird, Sony have been good at doing worldwide (if it's a western made game) releases for the last two years but R2, MS2 & Socom are all releasing weeks later in EU this year.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Wollan said:
JS, is November 28th the actual EU release date?

I find it weird, Sony have been good at doing worldwide (if it's a western made game) releases for the last two years but R2, MS2 & Socom are all releasing weeks later in EU this year.

What, what, what? 24 extra days from the US version, thats insane.... lucky im importing a copy. The AU beta apparently runs till the 10th or 20th of next month, thought that seemed odd, no wonder why now.

Top Bottom