• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

jett

D-Member
Sorry but whoever designed those co-op missions sucks. Not even slighty exciting. Same old thing for hours, downing teleporting braindead dudes with green shields , eventually you have to press a switch or some such. The Stalker "boss" is just...wtf. I run circles around it and it can't do a single thing to me. Also, protip: Shooting around 15000 bullets into some uber-resistant chimera boss is not really fun...and how is any living thing supposed to survive that after 5 minutes of uninterrupted pounding anyway? :p I don't really like how the weapons feel either, the shooting mechanics are really unsatisfactory.

I'll definitely be passing on this game based on the beta.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
So ever since the last patch i keep getting network error 00150007 after a few minutes of gameplay or looking through the stats.

Awesome.

Also, Competitive is not exactly my favorite. Why change the goodness SO much from R1? Oh well. Looks like single player and Coop mostly for me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
jett said:
Sorry but whoever designed those co-op missions sucks. Not even slighty exciting. Same old thing for hours, downing teleporting braindead dudes with green shields , eventually you have to press a switch or some such. The Stalker "boss" is just...wtf. I run circles around it and it can't do a single thing to me. Also, protip: Shooting around 15000 bullets into some uber-resistant chimera boss is not really fun...and how is any living thing supposed to survive that after 5 minutes of uninterrupted pounding anyway? :p I don't really like how the weapons feel either, the shooting mechanics are really unsatisfactory.

jett
Mr. Negativity

Guled

jett said:

(neutral) jett
Mr. Negativity
(Today, 07:13 PM)

do you like anything?

dwin45

dralla said:
a lot of people have said the same thing, so it's not just him with those complaints
And since when did it become such a crime to express dissatisfaction with a game. Isn't the whole point of the beta to try to figure out what's wrong with the game so that it (hopefully) will be fixed?

Dave1988

Jett's right. The bosses are more of an annoyance than a real threat. I love CO-OP but the bosses either need to be overhauled in the AI department or stop being such boring damage sponges.

Guled

jett said:
Do you have the brains to actually respond to my comments instead of quoting my fucking tag?
You make it to easy sometimes. But if you want me to respond then I say coop is awesome and you are wrong. But like all games, it is subjective and whats fun for me might not be fun for you. Sure the bosses take to long to kill, but the overall coop experience is still awesome. Again I like how the weapons feel, but thats also up to opinion

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
SaggyMonkey said:
MP has to be solid for a shooter, that's really the game. SP is training. Usually 8 to 12 hours of whatever, to prepare you for 100 to 200 hours of the meat. R2 doesn't have fun meat, unfortunately.
Uhh, I disagree. Just because YOU aren't good OR having fun doesn't mean the game is broke. It just means that this game isn't for you. I kinda suck at MP (considering this is my second online game :p, MGO is the only online game that I've ever played for HOURS and I absolutely LOVE that game! I've played R1, KZ and COD4, but never really got into them), see, I was dying a lot more than killing but I still had fun, and I can see why people love R2 so much!

M3Freak

Banned
JB1981 said:
You don't understand. The guys from the GAF clan played the original for about a year straight. Religiously. Every weekend. For a year. I can understand why they'd be unhappy with the changes - it's a very different game.

There was a core group of guys that played R:FoM almost EVERY night. For 1.5 years. It's not that we're teenagers with nothing better to do either: almost all of us (the core guys) are in our late twenties, early thirties. Hell, some are married and a few even have kids!

To everyone else that doesn't understand what I'm saying: we're not complaining about the game being changed: we're complaining about the WAY it was changed. Those are two different things. (I don't speak for the clan, but I know personally what many of the guys I played with think about it, so that's why I'm using "we")

If R2 now appeals to more people, so be it (and it's good for IG). It's just bad for me since I just can't get into the game. I think I'm being quite open minded when I say I will give it time...other guys with the beta aren't even playing it any more.

Note: I'm positive I'll love the single player campaign. I have no doubt IG has delivered there.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I can't believe I had a pre-order beta code access slip this whole time, but I didn't know the redeem deadline was 10/22. =(

ilanna said:
Uhh, I disagree. Just because YOU aren't good OR having fun doesn't mean the game is broke. It just means that this game isn't for you. I kinda suck at MP (considering this is my second online game :p, MGO is the only online game that I've ever played for HOURS and I absolutely LOVE that game! I've played R1, KZ and COD4, but never really got into them), see, I was dying a lot more than killing but I still had fun, and I can see why people love R2 so much!

I didn't say it was broke, but it certainly isn't for me. I've never understood the "you just suck" retort, but even if I were a worse player, it doesn't change the weapon feedback or the long jog between a spawn and a kill.

M3Freak

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
Not if a lot of people that never got into R1 play R2's MP games a lot more than they did R1. Also if it was "dumbed down for the casuals" that means it's more accessible like the wii games. And that usually makes it more popular, not less.

Those are what you call "fair weather friends": they'll stick around for a while, and then when others get better at the game and the casuals start getting their ass handed to them, they'll drop R2 like a shit filled diaper. They won't play for 2 years - maybe 6 months.

Kittonwy was actually telling me the exact same thing yesterday:

"(09:20:13 PM) Kittonwy: I don't see those people sticking with the game for two years, what the IP needs are loyal halo-type fans, not a bunch of casual fans who will move on to some other IP in march."

Guled

M3Freak said:
Those are what you call "fair weather friends": they'll stick around for a while, and then when others get better at the game and the casuals start getting their ass handed to them, they'll drop R2 like a shit filled diaper. They won't play for 2 years - maybe 6 months.

Kittonwy was actually telling me the exact same thing yesterday:

"(09:20:13 PM) Kittonwy: I don't see those people sticking with the game for two years, what the IP needs are loyal halo-type fans, not a bunch of casual fans who will move on to some other IP in march."
what are his thoughts on R2?

spwolf

jett said:
Do you have the brains to actually respond to my comments instead of quoting my fucking tag?

co-op is most exhilarating experience I have had in any game so far... And yeah, bosses are bugged, but it is beta.. get it? Besides, I dont think they should make them any smarter - point is that they are big and stupid, they just need to fix path finding bugs... People have issues finishing co-op levels as it is.

Or then again, maybe you expect zombies to have masters degree? :D
I have read a lot of science fiction - and I mean a lot, and common idea is that when something turns into zombie, it becomes stupid or at least a lot less intelligent.

Obviously people will quote your fucking tag because you do this in every fucking thread on the forum. Whiner.

Erebus

jett said:

I feel the same way about the co-op mode unfortunately and I don't see how some people find it entertaining.

On the other hand, the competitive mode is growing on me and I'm starting to like it, though I wish they had left some things from R1 intact (speed and multiple weapon selection to name a few).

DarkUSS said:
I feel the same way about the co-op mode unfortunately and I don't see how some people find it entertaining.

On the other hand, the competitive mode is growing on me and I'm starting to like it, though I wish they had left some things from R1 intact (speed and multiple weapon selection to name a few).

If levels are there to be obtained, some people cannot resist. They just need to make the chimera all actively rush your position. Things would be a lot more interesting then :lol

M3Freak

Banned
ChryZ said:
Yeah, too bad ... but I'm not feeling it. I'm very picky with my shooters and totally not able to click with R2. RFoM felt right from the get go and I loved it. I don't mind change. KZ2 is very different from RFoM, it took me only one round and I fell in love with it. I was looking forward to R2, but it seems this game isn't for me ~_~

There goes another one.

I'd still say to give the final game some time. There's the slight chance it may be better with access to all of the maps and game modes. (I'm assuming Skirmish isn't the only one, but if it is, WOW...and that's not in a good way).

mrwilt

Evazan said:
So ever since the last patch i keep getting network error 00150007 after a few minutes of gameplay or looking through the stats.

Awesome.

Also, Competitive is not exactly my favorite. Why change the goodness SO much from R1? Oh well. Looks like single player and Coop mostly for me.

I'd like to form my own opinion of the game, but I haven't been able to play long enough because I keep getting kicked from the server.

DIRTY-D

anybody got a spare code? I would love to give this beta run and see how much has changed from R1

Thank you for the consideration :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Meh, I'm just not into the coop. I just get into a game and hold R1 and occasionally press R2. The bosses are the least fun shit ever. MMOs need to go away, not be emulated by other genres.

Owzers

Are there going to be more than the three co-op classes in the full game? I was about to say no one wanted to play soldier in the last rooms i checked in on, and then i ended up in a game in progress that had 6 soldiers, one medic, and myself as special ops, and all the soldiers were running off in different directions on their own. Yeah i quit out of that joy. I'm done for the night, my hand is sore from pressing the R1 button down from my earlier soldier adventures. I can understand finding co-op enjoyable through initial playthroughs, but this needs SERIOUS fixing.

M3Freak

Banned
Guled said:
what are his thoughts on R2?

You've read what I think about the game? Well, now you know what Kittonwy thinks! Seriously though, his opinion is very similar.

If anyone is wondering, when I or someone else talks about the "core" R:FoM GAF clan members, we're talking about the following players (psn tags):

efertlisdotcom
sutdawg
bobthefork
kittonwy
m3freak
firewire
aeon712
hijodellocoroco
bige
careksims
patsu
queeg500

There are a few other GAF clan members that played R:FoM day in and day out, but because of different time zones, didn't play with the above guys very often. One of those guys is ChryZ.

Other members, like Click, disappeared for a while because of school and whatnot, but they were in the core group for close to a year, if not more.

On the whole, the above guys stay in touch (some even live in the same cities!), playing many PS3 games together, and it's all thanks to R:FoM. We're not stick in the mud old grannies: our disappointment in R2's multiplayer is valid and reasoned.

Bah! I've said enough about this. Now I'll just sit back and hope I'm proven 100% wrong about the game in a few months when IG puts in more patches (along the same lines in R:FoM).

A couple things that need fixing. There needs to be a page up/down on the game list. Also let me sort by max players, not just current players.

I can understand how some people wouldn't like the co-op, but I really like it. Medic is the most interesting class I think. Mine is maxed out already. The level 10 weapon is the shotgun, which is pretty useless for a medic, since you shouldn't be that close anyway. The soldier seems the most limited. If you want to use your shield, which most of the time you do, you're stuck with the inaccurate minigun, just standing there spraying bullets. You're also totally dependent on the other two classes keeping you alive and supplied.

I haven't been able to play it much since i have to much work,but the few instances i play coop was great i can't hardly wait for the complete game.:D

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
just played coop for the first time:

pretty cool, we failed the mission the first time but when i jumped in a second time(and things were a bit different?) started working together more things stared to make sense.

the problems so far: twice i rant into a Chimera stuck in a animation not going anywhere, hope IG cought it. And as i se some people here pointed out already, the Bosses need to be more complex than what there are now. they stand in one place.

I would lvoe for 8 people to fight a Stalker thats acting like the one in Manchester or the Widowmaker in Thame....

and as for multiplayer:

Im getting use to the Splicer(and love the animation) but it needs ironSight, I still mad that the Auger is so weak, and Mele being R3 is annoying...

Llyranor

I suspect most of the people who don't get into the co-op are playing as the Soldier class.

Devs need to bump up the difficulty and improve the boss AI! Make us earn our battle scars! No teamwork, no victory!

calder

I haven't had a chance to play much, but after a rather unimpressive first match (the orangey tint to that sub pen map is hideous imo) it grew on me quickly. I *loved* the co-op, anyone who doesn't see the fun in it better stay away from MMORPGs because it felt so much like a WoW FPS run I can't imagine MMO terminology not becoming the lingua franca of that mode instantly. I kept asking for heals without thinking, and when my surprisingly effective group ran into a few huge enemies (after having to work to kill one) somebody actually said tank-and-spank. :lol Very satisfying when we won, and I'm glad I got SOCOM because the headset works soooooo much better than all hte other bluetooth/usb headsets I've tried.

It took me most of a match to really get into the big competitive match I had, I was dying a lot and felt unhappy with the constant unseen danger in the middle of the map but once I realized how vast the level was I started to find a play style that suited me. Beta has me looking forward to the competitive multi, *extremely* excited by the co-op and I was always down for the SP game as I loved the story and characters from FOM. :D

Ceb

For the people complaining about the weapons lacking "kick"/feedback, do you feel this applies both to competitive and co-op play? For some reason, I find the gunplay to be sort of clunky and lacking in weight and response in the competitive MP, while I think it feels better in co-op. I dunno why, it's weird... maybe it's just the frantic nature of 59 spazzy people surrounding you rather than a straight-on shootout with A.I. characters.

So... the competitive doesn't really feel that great. Skirmish mode can be fun when you're playing with some skilled people, but most of the time it's just random and messy.

Co-op is a lot of fun though, and looks to be the savior of R2's online modes. Yeah, the bosses mostly just stand there... but they're not a huge part of the missions either. Getting swarmed by dozens of grims, hybrids and drones and hearing the reactions of your teammates is priceless. The changing map layouts was a genious move to ensure longevity.

What else... sadly, I think the visual side is a bit lacking. I'm not even talking raw graphical prowess. I actually think it's the art direction that's a bit too... sprawling in its ambitions and ends up looking a bit garish. Lots of people thought FoM looked drab, but I appreciated its cohesive look. Enemies also look more low-poly this time. And the menus and overall interface isn't very attractive either. The berserk meter and the life bar look cheap.

Still looking forward to the retail version for the SP. I haven't minded the weapons restriction like I thought I would, so that's one less thing to worry about.

EDIT:

One more thing: change the name of the Spec. Ops class! You have lots of clueless people choosing that class just because it sounds "cool". Change it to "ammo carrier" or something less glamouros, seriously. :lol

zedge

I agree with some others here, the bosses are dreadful and boring.

Co-op is fun but the bosses need to be tweaked or changed. It kills the fun of the game when it takes 8 people 10 min to down some bulking crappy ai boss walking around in circles.

Ploid 3.0

When the final game is out I'm going to have a ball trying to pimp my Spec op out. The beta is just one map, I'm ready to battle through multiple maps with one group. No more beta kick to the main screen and such.

When I play betas I don't look at it as final code.

Edit: Also didn't JS already say that the behavior of the bosses weren't how they will act in the final game? Especially the stalker.

Played a bit of co-op today. Really mindless fun, though I would enjoy a little more strategy. The Stalker, for example, just sat there as my entire team spent a few minutes pounding away at it.

morlock

Seriously, the enemy takes WAY to much damage before they go down, or the wraith is heavely underpowered. Most of the time I just stand there unloading mag after mag into them. Just stupid. One of chimera with red healthbar required something like 3000 rounds from the wraith before going down. (Yeah, It might be less, but it felt like forever) Got bored 1/3 of the shooting at him... Even the zombies take extreme amount of damage. 1/4 of the health of the enemies and it would be a more enjoyable game.

The coop lacks finess when fighting the chimeras. No fun. When first hearing about online coop I thought it would be a cool shootout with friends like in the square in manchester in the first game, where some tactis and skills needed to take out the enemy, now you just spend alot of time just standing behind a shield and unloading your gun on countless enemies. If you could kill a chimera with ONE shotgunshell at close range it would be much more fun, now it takes like 4 shells...

Maybe it gets better when I've ranked up more, but as of now Its not my cup of tea...

And for the comtpetetive mode, Its more fun, but I serously hope there will be a CLASSIC mode with no berserks and pickups. Chimera = rage. human=more speed, just like in the first game.

Guled

M3Freak said:
You've read what I think about the game? Well, now you know what Kittonwy thinks! Seriously though, his opinion is very similar.

If anyone is wondering, when I or someone else talks about the "core" R:FoM GAF clan members, we're talking about the following players (psn tags):

efertlisdotcom
sutdawg
bobthefork
kittonwy
m3freak
firewire
aeon712
hijodellocoroco
bige
careksims
patsu
queeg500

There are a few other GAF clan members that played R:FoM day in and day out, but because of different time zones, didn't play with the above guys very often. One of those guys is ChryZ.

Other members, like Click, disappeared for a while because of school and whatnot, but they were in the core group for close to a year, if not more.

On the whole, the above guys stay in touch (some even live in the same cities!), playing many PS3 games together, and it's all thanks to R:FoM. We're not stick in the mud old grannies: our disappointment in R2's multiplayer is valid and reasoned.

Bah! I've said enough about this. Now I'll just sit back and hope I'm proven 100% wrong about the game in a few months when IG puts in more patches (along the same lines in R:FoM).
so are you guys going to skip R2?

Sean

Banned
jett said:

Yeah after playing the beta, I think this game is getting bumped down to a rental for me. I'm only interested in the SP campaign now and that's something I'll only play once.

Vard

I just started the beta for the 2nd time and found out that my friend's stats/XP weren't saved while my are. Hopefully the full game holds separate accounts so his stats/XP are saved and we don't have to adjust controls every time we play... surely this will be in the full game? I don't know how it is in the first Resistance, but I'd be pretty disappointed if there weren't multiple accounts and we can't play through the game together with him keeping his stats.

Bearillusion said:
This must be a depressing read for the guys at IG.

A few hardcore fans on a hardcore forum don't want anything to do with the changes they've made to a still new franchise that'll likely earn them a hefty dose more sales? If I were them I'd be proud for trying to advance it into new territory than make the same game again. They've just finished their biggest project to date; for a studio like IG that's a big feat.

Seriously, if you prefer R:FoM, by all means play that instead. Clearly those of you dedicated enough to bash on the sequel as much as some of you have are dedicated enough to stick with the original.

Bearillusion said:

To be fair, it's only multiplayer and co-op.

The single player could still easily impress.

I'm not sure if IG really understands what makes a good multiplayer game. Resistance 1 mp was okay, but not phenomenal. R2 seems even worse because of the added player count.

More players is a great bullet point, but unless the gameplay is thought out well, it will fail. R2 has failed in that regard.

DrPirate

Banned
Bearillusion said:

And don't forget.

There's still alot of people (me) who would take this MP any day of the week over Resistance 1's multiplayer.

I actually enjoy Resistance 2's competitive moreso than CoD4.

Then again, it doesn't take me more than a couple of shots to drop other people and I rarely die.

Nafai1123

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
A few hardcore fans on a hardcore forum don't want anything to do with the changes they've made to a still new franchise that'll likely earn them a hefty dose more sales? If I were them I'd be proud for trying to advance it into new territory than make the same game again. They've just finished their biggest project to date; for a studio like IG that's a big feat.

Seriously, if you prefer R:FoM, by all means play that instead. Clearly those of you dedicated enough to bash on the sequel as much as some of you have are dedicated enough to stick with the original.

Seriously, the negativity in this thread is getting really depressing. Personally, I've been having a blast with both the competitive and co-op gameplay. Yes, the game has changed dramatically from R1 and it sucks that it's pissed off the hardcore R1 players, but in my opinion the gameplay changes are going to attract more than they deter. Why is it so bad that the game plays more like COD4, the most popular online shooter right now?

Top Bottom