• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Andvary said:

No words.

Seriously....

Some of you haters should start putting up pics of games that look better by a substantial margin from a similar quality screen grab or you better just GTFO. This is getting fucking ridiculous.

FightyF

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Seriously....

Some of you haters should start putting up pics of games that look better by a substantial margin from a similar quality screen grab or you better just GTFO. This is getting fucking ridiculous.

You gotta keep in mind that these same people have seen games like Killzone 2, Gears 2, etc, in person as well, nothing most of us can claim.

I disagree with them...but you have to admit that so many games are raising the bar, that some games are going to end up average looking. I'd say that newer and newer games are setting the bar higher and higher that previous ones will start to look bad. Now, of course Resistance 2 is a new game here, but it's harder and harder to make a game that's impressive nowadays. I mean, look at WO:HD, it's changed things...forever. There's no going back.

The way I see it, any disappointment regarding the games visuals stem from not really understanding what the game sets out to accomplish.

Personally I don't think BiA: Hell's Highway looks that great. Sure, it has lots of physics, destructibility, etc...but because I don't really put a lot of weight into that, the game doesn't look impressive in my eyes.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Private Hoffman said:
you gonna have streaming up anytime soon?
I'm just done encoding the stream. It usually takes a bit less than 3 times the length of the actual video to encode it (first extract the audio, then encode the flv, then encode the mp4).

Blimblim said:
I'm just done encoding the stream. It usually takes a bit less than 3 times the length of the actual video to encode it (first extract the audio, then encode the flv, then encode the mp4).

Cool, didn't know that.

Thanks for the vid! Looks great.

Some sweet never before seen Goliath footage in there.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
gogogow said:
Thanks for the vids.

btw, you called the video part 4 on gamersyde, just a small mistake.
Well it's the second part of the second video, so that make it part 4. Yeah, it's confusing ;)

it looks VERY good. day one for me. i finished resistance one yesterday and that was a very good game imo.

however.. is it true that you can only carry two weapons now?... and somehow when i look at the vids... i get the feeling like i'm watching another game... it's when i see the chimera i'm reminded i'm watching Resistance... looks great though.. but sometimes i get a halflife 2 vibe.. (not a bad vibe by the way).

anyway, the single player and all the multi player and co-op features makes this game one of the best (and must have) shooters for PS3 i think.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Snipes424 said:
Nice!! Ty for the upload

I don't understand the complaining about the lighting in this forum, because even in that semi low quality video, the lighting looks pretty damn amazing to me.
It's not that the lighting itself is bad (it's perfectly good as is), it's just that it's completely static. Look at the end of the last video when the boss explodes. The explosions themselves have *zero* consequences on the lighting of the walker's model.
When looking at the video, except for the muzzle flash of your own character nothing seems to have any influence on the overall lighting.
Being the lighting whore I am, I find this very disappointing. Mind you, that's the way Insomniac's engine has worked so far, so I'm not surprised. They put a lot (as any LOTS) of polygons on screen, have some quite nice texturing, and have it all running at a locked 30 fps, but the lighting is lacking. It was the case in first Resistance and I found it very noticeable since there were quite a lot of dark environments, it was the case in R&C but wasn't as much a problem since it was a much brighter game, and it's still the case in R2.
It doesn't make R2 a bad looking game overall, had the lighting been on par with Halo 3 (yeah, I've said the H word, but H3's lighting is second to none, but of course the game is lacking technically in many other departments where R2 is a lot better) it would be a most impressive game.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Blimblim said:
It's not that the lighting itself is bad (it's perfectly good as is), it's just that it's completely static. Look at the end of the last video when the boss explodes. The explosions themselves have *zero* consequences on the lighting of the walker's model.
When looking at the video, except for the muzzle flash of your own character nothing seems to have any influence on the overall lighting.
Being the lighting whore I am, I find this very disappointing. Mind you, that's the way Insomniac's engine has worked so far, so I'm not surprised. They put a lot (as any LOTS) of polygons on screen, have some quite nice texturing, and have it all running at a locked 30 fps, but the lighting is lacking. It was the case in first Resistance and I found it very noticeable since there were quite a lot of dark environments, it was the case in R&C but wasn't as much a problem since it was a much brighter game, and it's still the case in R2.
It doesn't make R2 a bad looking game overall, had the lighting been on par with Halo 3 (yeah, I've said the H word, but H3's lighting is second to none, but of course the game is lacking technically in many other departments where R2 is a lot better) it would be a most impressive game.

Nice post. I will check this out but I haven't noticed that before. I do agree that R1 and R&C had fairly flat lighting.

Hopefully these minor issues can be resolved in the llast few weeks of tweaking.

gogogow

Blimblim said:
They put a lot (as any LOTS) of polygons on screen, have some quite nice texturing, and have it all running at a locked 30 fps, but the lighting is lacking. It was the case in first Resistance and I found it very noticeable since there were quite a lot of dark environments, it was the case in R&C but wasn't as much a problem since it was a much brighter game, and it's still the case in R2.
Yeah, that's how IG work. RFOM is one of my fav and most played PS3 game, but the lighting is really flat and almost non existant in some levels, but they put so many polygons into the levels, it's insane. But it's hard to complain back then, since it was the best PS3 launch title with a very solid single player campaign, an awesome multiplayer mode and fixed 30fps gameplay.

I think R2 being the 3rd Insomniac game, they really should have had a better balance between the amount of polygons, lighting and shader effects.

Still looks nice though.

FightyF said:
You gotta keep in mind that these same people have seen games like Killzone 2, Gears 2, etc, in person as well, nothing most of us can claim.

I disagree with them...but you have to admit that so many games are raising the bar, that some games are going to end up average looking. I'd say that newer and newer games are setting the bar higher and higher that previous ones will start to look bad. Now, of course Resistance 2 is a new game here, but it's harder and harder to make a game that's impressive nowadays. I mean, look at WO:HD, it's changed things...forever. There's no going back.

The way I see it, any disappointment regarding the games visuals stem from not really understanding what the game sets out to accomplish.

Personally I don't think BiA: Hell's Highway looks that great. Sure, it has lots of physics, destructibility, etc...but because I don't really put a lot of weight into that, the game doesn't look impressive in my eyes.

But from what i have see Resistance 2 is a much bigger game than both,Killzone 2 has more open environment than GOW2 from what i have see,but Resistance scale is bigger so less detail is in place,but i think for a game of its size is very good looking.

gogogow

Always-honest said:
the last level.. my god.. i almost got fear of heights :lol .
Don't remember the last level, I only finished the game once.
I wanted to play it for the 2nd time with the rumble patch, but was occupied by other games.
Maybe if the add trophies..........

But I've put countless hours into the online mode, which was so much fun.

gogogow said:
Don't remember the last level, I only finished the game once.
I wanted to play it for the 2nd time with the rumble patch, but was occupied by other games.
Maybe if the add trophies..........

But I've put countless hours into the online mode, which was so much fun.
last level is in the main Chimera tower. you have to make your way up. the architecture is incredible.

JB1981

I'm assuming that video is part of the opening tutorial, which is why it's so linear. I must say, though, I am unimpressed with this kind of 'scale,' particularly when you have games like Halo 3 where the actual playable scale is far more impressive. In Halo 3, you would have been jumping on an off and fighting inside that Goliath, rather than being sequestered off from it .......

Blimblim

The Inside Track
JB1981 said:
I'm assuming that video is part of the opening tutorial, which is why it's so linear. I must say, though, I am unimpressed with this kind of 'scale,' particularly when you have games like Halo 3 where the actual playable scale is far more impressive. In Halo 3, you would have been jumping on an off and fighting inside that Goliath, rather than being sequestered off from it .......
Considering the amount of hints about how to play, I assume that level is the opening.

Ricker

Too bad they seem to have taken away the weapon selection/swapping with the "R2" button but they added Sprint now at least.Still can't wait to play this.

JB1981

Ricker said:
Too bad they seem to have taken away the weapon selection/swapping with the "R2" button but they added Sprint now at least.Still can't wait to play this.

I'm hoping we can map that to L3... sprint on R2 seems stupid. And I'm hoping we have to hold the button down, rather than tapping it once...

Truant

The forest level looks really good. It's a shame the only thing you can do is shoot in this game. It would have been amazing with some open world rpg elements like STALKER or Oblivion mixed in. I guess it's not the kind of game for that, but to me that sort of environment is underused for just a shooting gallery.

mr_nothin

Banned
Blimblim said:
It's basically the same thing me and the others were saying. We just pointed out more instances....

snoopers

I am multitalented
Firewire said:
Don't be an ass!
Snoopers is from Gamersyde, he has stated that FPS aren't his favorite genre

Excuse me ? I love FPS!

edit> wow @ thread. It's nice to read that my opinion is in the minority, but what minority exactly ? The minority of people who've never seen the game for real ? I was certainly not in the minority when we were shooting the footage and tons of people passing by asked if it was a PS2 game - of course, they're uninformed and tend to exaggerate but I admit the forest level could be confusing for the average joe. Basically I heard a great amout of people bashing the graphics. So, I don't think I was in the minority back then. The game just didn't look impressive at all.

About your nice comments stating that I'm a Xbot (how original !), well, good for you.
I don't give a damn about the platform, I hav'em all and play all the games that come out. I played Killzone 2 and it looked very impressive to me, I played Gears 2's campaign it looked fucking incredible to me, I played Far Cry 2 and it looked superb especially considering what sort of game it is... R2's graphics were a big letdown. I'm not saying it looks like shit, just that it's far from being impressive - to me.

test_account

XP-39C²
Generally speaking, why is there relatively much talk about the graphics in Resistance 2? I cant really remember the last game that had this much talk around the graphics (then i mean the same kind of talk about the graphics as there is around the graphics talk with Resistance 2). Or maybe around Halo 3? Although i didnt really follow the Halo 3 threads that much.

snoopers said:
Excuse me ? I love FPS!

edit> wow @ thread. It's nice to read that my opinion is in the minority, but what minority exactly ? The minority of people who've never seen the game for real ? I was certainly not in the minority when we were shooting the footage and tons of people passing by asked if it was a PS2 game - of course, they're uninformed and tend to exaggerate but I admit the forest level could be confusing for the average joe. Basically I heard a great amout of people bashing the graphics. So, I don't think I was in the minority back then. The game just didn't look impressive at all.

About your nice comments stating that I'm a Xbot (how original !), well, good for you.
I don't give a damn about the platform, I hav'em all and play all the games that come out. I played Killzone 2 and it looked very impressive to me, I played Gears 2's campaign it looked fucking incredible to me, I played Far Cry 2 and it looked superb especially considering what sort of game it is... R2's graphics were a big letdown. I'm not saying it looks like shit, just that it's far from being impressive - to me.

It is a matter of taste, I can understand...some people who have played gears 2 thought it looked basically like Gears 1 (I dont), also far cry 2 doesnt impress me as much as it might have graphically, since Crysis looks quite a bit better and has much more aesthetically pleasing environments...its the scale in FC2 that impresses me somewhat.

I dunno I still like it, and I play through crysis regularly...it has a different aesthetic appeal and larger scale...as for people bashing the graphics, many did the same to halo 3, and when I got to actually play it, it actually looked pretty nice, despite having many graphical shortcomings.. In contrast, people on here seem to praise UT3 for graphics, yet when I played the demo on pc with everything maxed, it really didnt impress me much at all

You've always shown you have a preference for 360, just like I have a preference for ps3 from the two... but I think you've always been honest with your opinions..

-viper-

Banned
On the consoles, all Far Cry 2 footage I've seen looks very unimpressive. Resistance 2 looks better by a country mile.

Looks fantastic on the PC, but judging by the footage on Gamersyde, I am left unimpressed.

-viper- said:
On the consoles, all Far Cry 2 footage I've seen looks very unimpressive. Resistance 2 looks better by a country mile.

Looks fantastic on the PC, but judging by the footage on Gamersyde, I am left unimpressed.

Basically, all footage Ive seen of FC2 looks far too brown...need to see some more colour contrast in there...it washes out most detail that is present...because there is a lot of detail there. The game would look much more impressive if it wasnt so washed out.

EktorPR

I love how 'Firewire' calls us out for attacking 'snoopers' when 'snoopers' himself is the one making unsensitive statements. If you've got some issues with how a game looks or plays, and you want to post them in a "Hype Thread" full of people excited for said game, you don't do it in a harsh, inconsiderate way JUST in respect for the game's followers.

Look at how professionally 'Blimblim' did it. He stated his issues with it in an objective, detailed way, and while I don't agree with him fully, I do take his comments seriously and with respect.

Firewire

Banned
snoopers said:
Excuse me ? I love FPS!

My apologies then, for some reason I thought I remembered you stating that you didn't like FPS games. Anyways thanks for the impressions.

The 4th video looked pretty bad compared to all the others (from gamersyde and other sites). Maybe it was just because whoever was playing kept spazing out on the controller since it was so jumpy and never aiming smoothly.

test_account

XP-39C²
snoopers said:
? I was certainly not in the minority when we were shooting the footage and tons of people passing by asked if it was a PS2 game - of course, they're uninformed and tend to exaggerate but I admit the forest level could be confusing for the average joe.
Which PS2 game(s)? I must check out this PS2 game(s) :)

snoopers

I am multitalented
EktorPR said:
I love how 'Firewire' calls us out for attacking 'snoopers' when 'snoopers' himself is the one making unsensitive statements. If you've got some issues with how a game looks or plays, and you want to post them in a "Hype Thread" full of people excited for said game, you don't do it in a harsh, inconsiderate way JUST in respect for the game's followers.

Look at how professionally 'Blimblim' did it. He stated his issues with it in an objective, detailed way, and while I don't agree with him fully, I do take his comments seriously and with respect.

Well I'm not that much of an objective person, obviously.
Anyway I shouldn't have posted it here, and I don't want to derail the discussion any further.

Y2Kev said:
hype deflatinggggggggggggg. ps2 game?

Of course it doesn't look like a PS2 game. And anyway if you want to check your hype, just watch the gameplay videos and look at the level design. Then you'll have a good reason for growing or deflating your hype.

antiloop

snoopers said:
Excuse me ? I love FPS!

We will see for ourselves soon anyway. I can't take anyone serious that says any game on PS3 looks like a PS2 game though.

EktorPR

snoopers said:
Well I'm not that much of an objective person, obviously.
Anyway I shouldn't have posted it here, and I don't want to derail the discussion any further.

It's not that you aren't, it's just that you chose not to be one in this particular case. You could always post your opinions about it, but in a considerate way. Is that too hard to do?

thelastword

Banned
Hey guys, back to the awesomeness that is R2.....

Have you guys seen this interview? This basically sums it up imo. Amazing graphics and detail, and it's obviously the most feature packed FPS slated for the year. FPS Goty easily.

snoopers

I am multitalented
antiloop said:
We will see for ourselves soon anyway. I can't take anyone serious that says any game on PS3 looks like a PS2 game though.

I never said it looked like a PS2 game, and that's not what I think at all.

EktorPR said:
It's not that you aren't, it's just that you chose not to be one in this particular case. You could always post your opinions about it, but in a considerate way. Is that too hard to do?

Sometimes.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Y2Kev said:
hype deflatinggggggggggggg. ps2 game?

my hype is not deflating...

seriously, with all due respect to those lucky enough to play this built before us, to call this graphically "a ps2 game" even from here i can sa bullshit or superb exaggeration. FALL OF MAN did'nt look like a PS2 game so please....

I really dont care if you got to play it, the direct and non-direct feed videos i've seen here show clearly the game looks great, and the fact that its not even a final built tells the obvious that it will look even better.

test_account

XP-39C²
snoopers said:
I never said it looked like a PS2 game, and that's not what I think at all.
You didnt say it directly, but you said you admit that the forrest level could be confused as a PS2 game by the average joe. If you admit that people think that it could be mistaken for a PS2 game, wouldnt that mean that you also think it kinda looks like a PS2 game, or that it it can be mistaken for a PS2 game? To be fair, i know you only mentioned the forrest level and not the entire game though :)

What PS2 game was it by the way? Did they mention any specific PS2 game?

Top Bottom