• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

snoopers

I am multitalented
LiquidMetal14 said:
The game looks exceptional any way you cut it. No one can cut it down when it looks that good with what it's pulling on the screen.

I don't think the game looks exceptional, far from it actually.

OPINIONS!

Dizzan

MINI Member
snoopers said:

OPINIONS!

Colour me surprised :|

I am a huge R2 fan and I will agree it is not quite exceptional. There are some aspects that are exceptional and some parts that aren't quite as good looking. But to say it is far from exceptional is rubbish.

EDIT: Just watched the latest video. It's very very good looking overall. There are some slightly flat textures as there was/is in R1 and R&C but it looks great

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ok, i have a silly questions for the lucky guys who played the private BETA...
about the control scheme, so how is the button mapping ?
L1 : AIM
R1: FIRE
R2: ALTERNATE FIRE
something like that ??
is there a run or sprint button ?

Thanks guys.

snoopers said:

OPINIONS!

PDVD_021.jpg

John_B

I'm liking the early environments, visuals are also really nice. Interface is perfect.

I noticed a couple of things in those videos.

- No health bar. It seems like the health system went regen only.
- Weapon limits. It seems you can only carry a few weapons at the same time.
- Checkpoints. It seems like the checkpoints are really close.

I'm pretty sure those changes were inspired from Uncharted, they seem to work in the exact same manner.

I'm looking forward to playing this.

dralla

John_B said:
I'm liking the early environments, visuals are also really nice. Interface is perfect.

I'm pretty sure those changes were inspired from CoD4, they seem to work in the exact same manner.

fixed.

2 weapon system makes me :[

womfalcs3

Banned
John_B said:

I'm pretty sure those changes were inspired from Uncharted, they seem to work in the exact same manner.

Once Hale was infected in R1, he could regenerate his health; he's still infected. Before then, you had to search for health.

I like checkpoints being close... the less I have to do again when I die the more enjoyable the experience will be.

I liked the R1 weapon allocation/carrying system. Sad to see it change. I'll reserve my judgment of the new system once I start to play and get a feel for it.

Firewire

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
Same dude that downplayed KILLZONE 2, IIRC.

What games do you like, Snoopers?
Don't be an ass!
Snoopers is from Gamersyde, he has stated that FPS aren't his favorite genre, but the guy has seen and played a ton more games than most of us. If anything that makes his opinions hold more weight than most people on this forum.

Gbeav

Banned
Firewire said:
Don't be an ass!
Snoopers is from Gamersyde, he has stated that FPS aren't his favorite genre, but the guy has seen and played a ton more games than most of us. If anything that makes his opinions hold more weight than most people on this forum.

That makes no sense, how can one opinion be worth more than others especially when that person don't like the genre in the first place.

Ploid 3.0

Firewire said:
Don't be an ass!

These days the weight of opinions from gamers, and game journalists get very blurry. I still like to see real people reviews over journalists. I miss the old videogamereviews.com. I was able to tell if a person was being serious, giving the good and the bad there. That site was the reason I got GTA3. They aren't over exposed to games and enjoy them.

Like for instance, a few years ago people would take the words of JP gaffers when it came to newly released JP games. Those gaffers would wright highly detailed opinions, and talk about how the game mechanics.

A lot of people that reviewed GTA4 probably played more games than us. How many games did we play anyway?

Norml

Firewire said:
Don't be an ass!

Not when he says it looks far from good.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Firewire said:
Don't be an ass!

The fact he doesn't really like FPS's doesn't mean shit in this case.

Saying R2 is far from exceptional is crazy talk.

It definately doesn't have the wow factor of Uncharted but in terms of overall graphical prowess (720p, solid FR, Huuge environments, load of physics and geometry etc) it at least comes close to being exceptional.

But yeah, opinions are like assholes.

Firewire

Banned
Gbeav said:
That makes no sense, how can one opinion be worth more than others especially when that person don't like the genre in the first place.
Because he's played a ton of them. He's probably had to play some real shit games just because us gaming fans want to know about them. But I guess if a journalist says something good about you're fav game you don't question his likes and dislikes, only when they something bad does there view become invalid.

Gbeav

Banned
Firewire said:
Because he's played a ton of them. He's probably had to play some real shit games just because us gaming fans want to know about them. But I guess if a journalist says something good about you're fav game you don't question his likes and dislikes, only when they something bad does there view become invalid.

I just don't see a point in putting his opinion of something he's not a fan of as the word of god.

I eat food but I don't ask me to review haggis.

Ploid 3.0

Firewire said:

If a food critic told me that oranges are far from sweet, I'll wonder what was I thinking and seek help. Doing that now for my eyes.

For some reason I was freaking out at how good this looked in the videos. But in my favor it's because I wasn't seeing it in person, and was too high on previous Insomniac games.

Earlier in this thread I said R2 exceeded my expectations, I'll temporarily take that back until I get the game and investigate for myself.

;) Nov. 4th

Firewire said:
Don't be an ass!

I wasn't being an ass; it's a legitimate question, especially when he says that Resistance 2 looks completely unexceptional, when most of us here with our own two eyes can see that it does look pretty incredible. If R2 looks far from exceptional, then what game currently IS exceptional?

Just because he's an editor for gamersyde and attends a bunch of events doesn't make his opinion more valid than anyone else. He's in the extreme minority if he think R2 looks bad.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
After watching the 1UP Show footage, I'm wondering, does anyone think the co-op looks similar to Left4Dead? It had that same sort of hectic look to it. And it's sort of randomly generated like L4D.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Private Hoffman said:
I wasn't being an ass; it's a legitimate question, especially when he says that Resistance 2 looks completely unexceptional, when most of us here with our own two eyes can see that it does look pretty incredible. If R2 looks far from exceptional, then what game currently IS exceptional?

Just because he's an editor for gamersyde and attends a bunch of events doesn't make his opinion more valid than anyone else. He's in the extreme minority if he think R2 looks bad.

Yeah I'd love to know what Snoopers considers "exceptional".

For me, Crysis on very High is exceptional. as is Killzone.

Uncharted, Gears 2, MGS4, GT5P, PGR4 and the latest build of R2 are not far behind.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Ploid 3.0 said:
The HDR should have made the whole screen white in that shot. No motion blur either.

Yeah, I don't think I'll buy it anymore.

I mean who wants two different campaigns, 8 player co-op, 64 player, squad based online, local MP with such shit graphics??

Ploid 3.0

sykoex said:
After watching the 1UP Show footage, I'm wondering, does anyone think the co-op looks similar to Left4Dead? It had that same sort of hectic look to it. And it's sort of randomly generated like L4D.

I thought about that. But it's different. LFD seem to be all about swarms, and fighting off other potential human played zombies. In R2 co-op you're going through objectives. You go to them, they come to you, you kill bosses, small groups of enemies, hordes of them, etc. Also the class system, gaining exp, getting new equipment, and so on. With a spec ops you won't be playing as a survival horror, and with medics you won't be living on your last breath.

Actually I'm not sure if left for dead has any class abilities, or how many people play per game. But yes, those grims in co-op reminded me of left for dead.

Firewire

Banned
Gbeav said:
I just don't see a point in putting his opinion of something he's not a fan of as the word of god.

I eat food but I don't ask me to review haggis.
Listen, you guys can disagree with him, and to a certain degree I disagree with his view. But why do you guys have to be assholes about it? Why don't you ask him about his views and how he came to those conclusions. Instead you guys start attacking him!

Firewire said:
Listen, you guys can disagree with him, and to a certain degree I disagree with his view. But why do you guys have to be assholes about it? Why don't you ask him about his views and how he came to those conclusions. Instead you guys start attacking him!
Who attacked him? They asked what games does he think are exceptional if R2 isn't/ I think it's a fair question to his statement earlier.

Ploid 3.0

Firewire said:

The only reason I think I considered his opinion is when you said something that suggested his opinion was greater than others in the thread. I didn't agree with that. For me, my opinion is greater than his at the moment. His opinion would carry more weight if he has more insight on possible problems with the game that I haven't seen, or heard of. Like: these shots and videos are all fake. There is actually framerate problems, but we are under NDA to not speak about it, and more.

About pre-baked shadows, what's wrong wit that? Heavenly sword tried to do the unnecessary and people wished it was canned at spots. Like my uncle always told me, don't let work work you. When you cut the unnecessary fat that give you room for more.

My eye is used to being fooled, and it fools me. Without these tricks games couldn't be so big. Remember R2's theme is scale. If they didn't cut, their theme would be more like, "corridors".

DrPirate

Banned
kaching said:
If this is flat lighting then just about every game I've seen has flat lighting.

This.

It looks fine and "awesome" for me. Don't know what you guys see but I hope I never see it through your eyes.

Ignorance is bliss in this case.

GodofWine

Looks outstanding to me....I sit more than 6 inches from the screen and can't see the rare single pixel jaggie, I also usually am focused on the action at hand rather than the shadow being cast by shrubbery off in the peripheral distance.

and the story line in this series is great...as are mechanics...and overall fun...wtf do people want...

Edit - answer is EVERYTHING....you whores:lol

Ploid 3.0

DrPirate said:
You are like.....

My favorite poster ever now.

I don't think I'd be able to live without google these days. So on point.

Edit: Btw when I said "My opinion is greater than his at the moment" in post #2389 I meant, "To me, my opinion is greater than his at the moment".

Top Bottom