• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

snoopers

I am multitalented
test_account said:
You didnt say it directly, but you said you could understand that the forrest level could be confusing for the average joe. If you can understand that people think that looks like a PS2 game, wouldnt that mean that you also think it kinda looks like a PS2 game

I understand where you come from, but nah, I really don't think it looks like a PS2 game. And actually I like how the forest looks, at least in the first part of the level. Probably the environment I liked the most in the demo.

BeeDog

On a completely unrelated note (and to ease up the tension), I've noticed in these R2 videos that there aways is a space between the last word and the ! or ? in French sentences. I've noticed it in other French contexts as well; What the fuck is up with that?

test_account

XP-39C²
snoopers said:
I understand where you come from, but nah, I really don't think it looks like a PS2 game. And actually I like how the forest looks, at least in the first part of the level. Probably the environment I liked the most in the demo.
Ok, then i missunderstood you, but i was just wondering :) I'm sorry for the missunderstanding and thanks for answering what you ment :)

snoopers said:
Excuse me ? I love FPS!

edit> wow @ thread. It's nice to read that my opinion is in the minority, but what minority exactly ? The minority of people who've never seen the game for real ? I was certainly not in the minority when we were shooting the footage and tons of people passing by asked if it was a PS2 game - of course, they're uninformed and tend to exaggerate but I admit the forest level could be confusing for the average joe. Basically I heard a great amout of people bashing the graphics. So, I don't think I was in the minority back then. The game just didn't look impressive at all.

About your nice comments stating that I'm a Xbot (how original !), well, good for you.
I don't give a damn about the platform, I hav'em all and play all the games that come out. I played Killzone 2 and it looked very impressive to me, I played Gears 2's campaign it looked fucking incredible to me, I played Far Cry 2 and it looked superb especially considering what sort of game it is... R2's graphics were a big letdown. I'm not saying it looks like shit, just that it's far from being impressive - to me.

BS ALERT.........BS ALERT

EktorPR

snoopers said:

See, snoopers? It isn't that hard. :D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
BeeDog said:
On a completely unrelated note (and to ease up the tension), I've noticed in these R2 videos that there aways is a space between the last word and the ! or ? in French sentences. I've noticed it in other French contexts as well; What the fuck is up with that?
That's how our language is structured. Personally I was utterly confused the first times I saw that the ! and ? didn't have a white space before them in English ;)

mintylurb

snoopers said:
About your nice comments stating that I'm a Xbot (how original !), well, good for you.
I don't give a damn about the platform, I hav'em all and play all the games that come out. I played Killzone 2 and it looked very impressive to me, I played Gears 2's campaign it looked fucking incredible to me, I played Far Cry 2 and it looked superb especially considering what sort of game it is... R2's graphics were a big letdown. I'm not saying it looks like shit, just that it's far from being impressive - to me.

snoopers said:
I'm a liar then.

We know..
03lag2.gif
Seriously, guys. Give it a rest. It appears most of you guys have already made up your mind about snoopers' agenda. Snoopers is just filling in blim's old role since blim's been trying to reposition his site as a general gaming site instead of a xbox dedicated website. Nothing more nothing less. So, don't get all upset over snooper's "frank" comments.

mintylurb said:
We know..
03lag2.gif
Seriously, guys. Give it a rest. It appears most of you guys have already made up your mind about snoopers' agenda. Snoopers is just filling in blim's old role since blim's been trying to reposition his site as a general gaming site instead of a xbox dedicated website. Nothing more nothing less. So, don't get all upset over snooper's "frank" comments.

blims always been pretty balanced...and snoopers is hardly more biased than 90% of people on gaf...just having a bias doesnt make you an xbot...

GodofWine

I still think the video's look great...I will not be swayed :D

Plus the 70 (?) player online...hello...remember that....especially since thats where people will mostly be spending the majority of their time...

Kittonwy

Banned
snoopers said:

No offense but if you're saying in your own post you shouldn't be posting in the thread then you might want to take your own advice.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
snoopers said:
I never said it looked like a PS2 game, and that's not what I think at all.
That's right, you're just the messenger, fobbing off the blame on "tons" of anonymous others who asked if that was a PS2 game...btw, what qualifies as "tons" in your mind, snoopers?

kaching said:
That's right, you're just the messenger, fobbing off the blame on "tons" of anonymous others who asked if that was a PS2 game...btw, what qualifies as "tons" in your mind, snoopers?

I'm sorry, but a PS2 game? That just screams BS to me. I don't expect him to come back to this thread with any real answers.

cjtiger300 said:
I'm sorry, but a PS2 game? That just screams BS to me. I don't expect him to come back to this thread with any real answers.

Fuck, he did answer for like 2 pages.

Would you guys stop being so fucking sensitive? Enjoy the videos and everything and leave people's opinion alone.

patsu

It's a matter of choice.

R2 does have dynamic shadow and lighting, light scattering, and other effects but just not as much as some people are expecting. A few games have more of these lighting effects, but they are at the same time inferior in various aspects compared to R2.

The differences and hence, variety, of these games are meant to reflect the gameplay (or game types). In R2, I have come to expect dynamic (not scripted) enemies and insane amount of actions. There was (still is, so far) no repeating level/scenes in SP and co-op. The environments are also far from generic ruins and scifi sites. They are our day-to-day expansive environment in Chicago, San Francisco, Orick, etc.

I love the Californian Redwood forests, and am happy I can play in in. It's one of the very best outdoor environment I have seen in quite a while. I can almost reach out and peel the leaves from the bushes.

The only remaining question is really how many people will end up playing R2. I hope the different game types are deep enough to compete against the bests. So far, the co-op is the most fun for me.

Littleberu said:

Would you guys stop being so fucking sensitive? Enjoy the videos and everything and leave people's opinion alone.

No sensitivity going on here, but a PS2 game? That is just asinine. I also love how he says that "Other People" were saying it. Thats malicious crap and Insomniacs developers don't deserve it. Hell, RFOM didn't look anything like a PS2 game even in Standard Def.

Lebron

Littleberu said:

Seriously. The last 2 pages have been focused on his one little comment pretty much. So he doesn't think it looks impressive, why the hell should "you" care? Get over it. People get worked over way too easily these days. This is how thread derails happen

patsu said:
It's a matter of choice.

R2 does have dynamic shadow and lighting, light scattering, and other effects but just not as much as some people are expecting. A few games have more of these lighting effects, but they are at the same time inferior in various aspects compared to R2.

The differences and hence, variety, of these games are meant to reflect the gameplay (or game types). In R2, I have come to expect dynamic (not scripted) enemies and insane amount of actions. There was (still is, so far) no repeating level/scenes in SP and co-op. The environments are also far from generic ruins and scifi sites. They are our day-to-day expansive environment in Chicago, San Francisco, Orick, etc.

I love the Californian Redwood forests, and am happy I can play in in. It's one of the very best outdoor environment I have seen in quite a while. I can almost reach out and peel the leaves from the bushes.

The only remaining question is really how many people will end up playing R2. I hope the different game types are deep enough to compete against the bests. So far, the co-op is the most fun for me.

Everyone I know with a PS3 is picking this game up. Not renting, buying. I think that the sales will be quite huge. Maybe not MGS4 levels, but the attach rate of RFOM was very high. You have to expect most of those people will buy the 2nd one.

Firewire said:
Don't be an ass!
Snoopers is from Gamersyde, he has stated that FPS aren't his favorite genre, but the guy has seen and played a ton more games than most of us. If anything that makes his opinions hold more weight than most people on this forum.
stop knob slobbing.
blackjesus_avatar.gif
:lol

Lebron said:
Seriously. The last 2 pages have been focused on his one little comment pretty much. So he doesn't think it looks impressive, why the hell should "you" care? Get over it.

He said PS2, and that is just crazy. I could care less about his first comment. He got my attention when he said PS2.

Kittonwy

Banned
There are obviously improvements since Q4B when it comes to the engine and what it can do, such as having a somewhat healthy level of lens flare, characters and some objects FINALLY casting shadows on themselves.

Not sure if the engine does use any sort of tone-mapping, it doesn't seem to. What we're seeing obviously isn't the "final" product, there are objects that don't cast shadows, such as the barrels, the corrugated metal sheet that the major was taking cover behind in the compound, some of the pipes and stuff, not sure whether they've already done all the art assets in the game, it's really up to Insomniac to find those gaps in terms of attention to details and address them, to give the game a more uniform look.

I do believe the lighting has improved over Q4B because Q4B and TOD's lighting really were rather baked, here characters go in and out of shadows frequently and the goliath does cast a massive shadow over much of the iceland level. Is the lighting on par with current gen tech now? Probably, is it among THE best lighting offered in a console game? I'm not sure if I can argue that, it's like it would be impossible for GTAIV to offer the same level of lighting in UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif
, although I would like there to be a sharper contrast between lights and darks in R2, things like tone-mapping would have been nice.

I thought the goliath fight in iceland was actually technically impressive but gameplay-wise the player isn't really interacting much with the goliath itself other than shooting the exhausts while traversing what is basically a linear level, hopefully the other levels are a bit more clever, I do like how in orick you can take out a ravager by blowing up a car next to it.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
cjtiger300 said:
He said PS2, and that is just crazy. I could care less about his first comment. He got my attention when he said PS2.
He's not the one who mentioned PS2, I was there when he was filming and I definitely heard these guys saying it. That doesn't make them any more right mind you, the show was filled with utter morons anyway.

Lebron

cjtiger300 said:
"He" didn't say PS2. He said he overheard others saying it. Did you miss his follow up or something?
snoopers said:

To be honest, I don't think it looks impressive either. Then again, the only shooters I do think look impressive are Crysis, COD4, KZ2, and Mirrors Edge. The game looks good. A lot better than the first game, and better than when they first showed off the game in the early portion(obviously). Still, the main meat of this(for me), is the gameplay and features which R2 has in spades. That's what I want to hear/read about, trick all the graphic whoring mess. I was enjoying myself for the most part until things of course got out of hand. Can we get back to that please? :/

DrPirate

Banned
Yeah seriously. I don't even know what baked lighting is or what looks unimpressive.

They have a huge 300 foot walking mech going around the level and shooting at stuff. This is not bias, I think this is super impressive and I haven't seen anything else that looks (to my eyes at least) better looking (I don't know about technicalities).

Enough about my point of view though.

This is the best PS2 game I have ever seen
just KIDDING

Blimblim said:
He's not the one who mentioned PS2, I was there when he was filming and I definitely heard these guys saying it. That doesn't make them any more right mind you, the show was filled with utter morons anyway.

I know, but the fact that he even brought up these "Morons" thoughts to justify his own is very unprofessional. Why even bring it up if you think the people who said it are morons?

Kittonwy

Banned
patsu said:
It's a matter of choice.

The problem right now is that the levels seen are not open, it's rendering a ton but the amount of space that actually comprises the actual playground isn't nearly enough to justify the level of sacrifice they took in terms of graphics in SP, if co-op and mp don't look mindblowing, it's understandable, SP should really be wowing people even the first time they see it. There was a massive gap between what something like Q4B was offering in terms of rendering dynamic and self-shadowing as well as lighting that doesn't look pre-baked or flat, as well as reflection-mapping the water and giving it ripples, they've taken steps towards addressing those but in terms of catching up to the likes of Motorstorm and UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif
, is it enough? Are we fighting a hundred enemies in sp? Not in the demo. The whole point is not RENDERING a ton, but having that interaction with EVERYTHING in that level.

If you can literally climb up a goliath right then and there and fight INSIDE the goliath, walk on top of the goliath WHILE it's moving, THAT would be impressive. If you can shoot down one of the vehicles in the sky in real-time and it can crash-land on an enemy, THAT would be impressive. What the SP is doing so far is funneling the player through one corridor after another. The co-op levels are more impressive in that you have a large area to play inside and you can go all the way around to flank the enemies. It's like the leviathan fight, if you can actually jump ON the leviathan and fight other chimeras inside it, that would be impressive, right now the E3 demo seemed like just going through a linear level while occasionally shooting it to get it to respond, I hope there's more to both of those scenarios.

Kittonwy

Banned
DrPirate said:
Yeah seriously. I don't even know what baked lighting is or what looks unimpressive.

They have a huge 300 foot walking mech going around the level and shooting at stuff. This is not bias, I think this is super impressive and I haven't seen anything else that looks (to my eyes at least) better looking (I don't know about technicalities).

Enough about my point of view though.

This is the best PS2 game I have ever seen
just KIDDING

What I have a problem with is the 300 foot mech is in the background, you're not shooting its legs off, the only things you can shoot are the exhausts and they're all located in the back. You shoot it once, it blows up a bit, you move along your linear level, and repeat it twice more, it's not a whole lot of interaction here, the problem is much of the level that you see is fenced off, the point isn't just to RENDER a 300 foot enemy but letting you FIGHT the 300 foot enemy YOUR OWN WAY.

The graphics seems to be the last thing that goes in during the past few months, and it shows when looking at the stuff they first showed and what they have now, but what gameplay designs did they manage to put in the game that made it worth putting the graphics off? Why did improvements to the engine come so late, period? Consistent character self-shadowing took them until their FOURTH game to get into their engine, same with lens flare, same with reflective water (ICO had reflective water back on the PS2). If they were sacrificing the graphics for amazing gameplay, I would like to see that amazing gameplay in SP, show me some impressive AI that works as a team, using pin-and-flank tactics, show some interesting level design, not what you're rendering on screen, but as a level how I can take different path, use cars and objects to my advantage and use different approach to defeat enemies WITHIN THE LEVEL instead of traveling from one corridor to the next.

For the record I do think it looks better than COD4, but COD4 shouldn't be what they aim for in the first place and I think that might be the problem.

Burekma

Blimblim said:
One question Blim. Just noticed in the gamekyo video, there was a pretty big Playstation3 sign above the TV where they recorded the footage at FDJV. Any chance it was the same with you guys?

I'm still trying to find out where they got their PS2 association from...

DrPirate

Banned
Kittonwy said:
What I have a problem with is the 300 foot mech is in the background, you're not shooting its legs off, the only things you can shoot are the exhausts and they're all located in the back. You shoot it once, it blows up a bit, you move along your linear level, and repeat it twice more, it's not a whole lot of interaction here, the problem is much of the level that you see is fenced off, the point isn't just to RENDER a 300 foot enemy but letting you FIGHT the 300 foot enemy YOUR OWN WAY.

Fair point, that WOULD be awesome.

Kittonwy said:
The problem right now is that the levels seen are not open, it's rendering a ton but the amount of space that actually comprises the actual playground isn't nearly enough to justify the level of sacrifice they took in terms of graphics in SP, if co-op and mp don't look mindblowing, it's understandable, SP should really be wowing people even the first time they see it. There was a massive gap between what something like Q4B was offering in terms of rendering dynamic and self-shadowing as well as lighting that doesn't look pre-baked or flat, as well as reflection-mapping the water and giving it ripples, they've taken steps towards addressing those but in terms of catching up to the likes of Motorstorm and UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif
, is it enough? Are we fighting a hundred enemies in sp? Not in the demo. The whole point is not RENDERING a ton, but having that interaction with EVERYTHING in that level.

If you can literally climb up a goliath right then and there and fight INSIDE the goliath, walk on top of the goliath WHILE it's moving, THAT would be impressive. If you can shoot down one of the vehicles in the sky in real-time and it can crash-land on an enemy, THAT would be impressive. What the SP is doing so far is funneling the player through one corridor after another. The co-op levels are more impressive in that you have a large area to play inside and you can go all the way around to flank the enemies. It's like the leviathan fight, if you can actually jump ON the leviathan and fight other chimeras inside it, that would be impressive, right now the E3 demo seemed like just going through a linear level while occasionally shooting it to get it to respond, I hope there's more to both of those scenarios.

Lets let the full game release b4 we make to many assumptions.

*stonecold stunnerz Kittonwy*

Kittonwy said:

yeah, i agree with this.... the thing hardly seems like a thread.. shoot the glowing parts...
to bad, because it's a basass looking design and size.

Kittonwy said:

I do see your point here. However, it is just the first level and I bet you come in contact with those things again. It could be a way of building towards an Epic battle later in the game. How would it look if you crushed one of those suckers 15 minutes into the game. I think the level design is more about pacing.

test_account

XP-39C²
Burekma said:
One question Blim. Just noticed in the gamekyo video, there was a pretty big Playstation3 sign above the TV where they recorded the footage at FDJV. Any chance it was the same with you guys?

If there was a pretty big Playstation 3 sign above the TV, and if there was morons there as Blimblim said, i would guess that they just said the PS2 comment(s) just to joke/"mess around" (i'm not quite sure how translate it to english, sorry).

If they were serious about the PS2 comment(s), then i would really like to know which PS2 game they thought of, seriously. I have a PS2, but i doesnt exactly have that much knowledge about all the PS2 games out there, so if there is a really good looking first person shooter game (or games) for the PS2 that could be confused with Resistance 2, then i want to check this game out :) I doubt such a game (or games) excist though, but still, i just want to mention it :)

EDIT: I know the question was to Blimblim, but i just wanted to answer as well, i hope you dont mind? :)

cjtiger300 said:
I do see your point here. However, it is just the first level and I bet you come in contact with those things again. It could be a way of building towards an Epic battle later in the game. How would it look if you crushed one of those suckers 15 minutes into the game. I think the level design is more about pacing.

hope you are right. would be so cool

Jesus Christ, people. It's like some of you guys have nothing else better to do than to criticize someone else's opinion. If he doesn't find the game impressive, that's his opinion. He's in the minority. The MAJORITY of the people (including I) think this game looks amazing, and fun.

patsu

Kittonwy said:
angry.gif

We have only seen the initial levels of R2.

Also I don't know how they spread their development resources throughout the MP and SP levels. We will have more concrete info to reason about their choices when the game is released.

In SP, we do get to fight a lot of (relatively simple) enemies in the Chicago level. We will also encounter water creatures and giants. I don't know if they are just corridor fighting. I wouldn't be surprised if there are huge levels where Earth soldiers fight the Chimera together with Nathan Hale.

As for shooting stuff from the sky, ways to interact with the colossus, I'd say wait for the game to be released.

EDIT: Since comparison with Uncharted was made... In Uncharted, the chase scene was on rail. In R2, Hale and (walking + flying) enemies have much more freedom and space in the forest.

dalin80

Banned
Now i have made no secret about the aspects of R2 i dont like, in fact i believe that decisions have been made that betray the feel of the original (a weapon based fps limited to copying CoD4's two at a time system....>:-| ....)

but the trolling on here in the past few pages has been awful, especially those trying to get around it by blatantly trolling but passing it off as criticism from others.

a ps2 game? enough to give baby jesus harlequin baby syndrome.

shot0128_big.jpg

vs.

549.jpg

some people need to stfu and sod off.

Burekma said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was those guys, sorry it's only in French. But basically, they're hardcore PC FPS fans, and they got stuck in both levels, apparently the scripts aren't working that well : in the Iceland level they kept getting killed by an explosion as soon as they shot the Goliath, and in the Orick level it seems that the passage to the small river didn't open. But they seem to hate so much that I wouldn't be surprised if it was them :lol

Anyway, I couldn't agree more with the kitton. It's nice to have those hugh mechs/beast like the Goliath or the giant chimera in Chicago, but seing those huge boss is frustrating if they're just part of the landscape or if the interaction is as limited as what we've seen so far. God of War 2 and Shadow of the Colossus have shown us how epic boss battle can be with these kind of monster, and those were PS2 games :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
patsu said:
We have only seen the initial levels of R2.

Also I don't know how they spread their development resources throughout the MP and SP levels. We will have more concrete info to reason about their choices when the game is released.

In SP, we do get to fight a lot of (relatively simple) enemies in the Chicago level. We will also encounter water creatures and giants. I don't know if they are just corridor fighting. I wouldn't be surprised if there are huge levels where Earth soldiers fight the Chimera together with Nathan Hale.

As for shooting stuff from the sky, ways to interact with the colossus, I'd say wait for the game to be released.

What so special about having a bunch of grims come at you through a narrow corridor? If I can set up turrets and these grims are coming from multiple directions that would be more impressive. I can understand MP because chicago has a ton of verticality, but everything they're shown so far has been quite linear, if they have these epic levels they need to fucking show it because it's almost october and the game probably needs to go gold in a little over a couple of weeks. The goliath definitely needs to be much more than the canned stuff we've seen so far, even in the first game the player got to fight it for real, it's almost like going backwards.

DrPirate

Banned
Kittonwy said:
What so special about having a bunch of grims come at you through a narrow corridor? If I can set up turrets and these grims are coming from multiple directions that would be more impressive. I can understand MP because chicago has a ton of verticality, but everything they're shown so far has been quite linear, if they have these epic levels they need to fucking show it because it's almost october and the game probably needs to go gold in a little over a couple of weeks. The goliath definitely needs to be much more than the canned stuff we've seen so far, even in the first game the player got to fight it for real, it's almost like going backwards.

Dude, you should be on the Resistance 2 team.

Edit: And I meant that with no sarcasm or jokes.

Dever

Banned
RockmanWhore said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was those guys, sorry it's only in French. But basically, they're hardcore PC FPS fans, and they got stuck in both levels, apparently the scripts aren't working that well : in the Iceland level they kept getting killed by an explosion as soon as they shot the Goliath, and in the Orick level it seems that the passage to the small river didn't open. But they seem to hate so much that I wouldn't be surprised if it was them :lol

Anyway, I couldn't agree more with the kitton. It's nice to have those hugh mechs/beast like the Goliath or the giant chimera in Chicago, but seing those huge boss is frustrating if they're just part of the landscape or if the interaction is as limited as what we've seen so far. God of War 2 and Shadow of the Colossus have shown us how epic boss battle can be with these kind of monster, and those were PS2 games :lol

Those weren't FPS games though... Not saying I don't agree with you, just pointing that out.

JB1981

I've seen basically one enemy behavioral pattern in these videos and it's: RUN STRAIGHT AT THE PLAYER. What's up with that? The chimera did this in the first game but not like the dudes in these videos. They just come straight at you .. like, all the time.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dever said:
Those weren't FPS games though... Not saying I don't agree with you, just pointing that out.

You can fight on a scarab in HALO3 so it's not a completely novel idea here, it's just frustrating the only thing one can do to a goliath in the iceland level is shoot at the exhausts from afar with a laark, granted iceland is the first level in the game so hopefully there's more to this giant bosses thing they're talking up, but I wonder if the design of the goliath would allow the player to fight on it.

Maybe I've set my expectations too high, I really wanted this game to be that 3-4 million seller (obviously can't be done overnight but with legs and good word of mouth), the best in genre instead of a ~2 million seller the original was.

Top Bottom