• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Blimblim

The Inside Track
jstevenson said:
BTW - we didn't send builds to the press here. They just bring kits and hook in to take direct feed at the events we held.
Alright :) Looks like I'm feeling slightly better today so I'll go back there with my direct feed hardware and see if I can deal something with Sony. I doubt it will be doable at such a game show though.

slider

Good luck in your dealings with Sony blimblim.

Those invisible thingies in the forest... two things. First I wish they'd take more damage (although, of course, it may have been toned down for this demo). Second, they always seem to come from in front. Again, this may be a peculiarity of this demo/build. But invisible things... creeping up on you... from behind... with audio cues? That'd be cool. Must remember R2 is not a survival horror though.

Tr4nce

As always, thanks for the videos Blim. These videos made me go from doubter/believer to believer/buyer. Thanks again. Game looks so gorgeous and so much better than R1. Can't believe it. Insomniac is on fire.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
No luck for the direct feed stuff (no one from PR was there when I asked), but I got another video. I'm on something else now, but expect something in 2-3 hours :)

jmd494

Agreed about the chameleons (invisible chimera). They do NOT look like they should be killed by a single bullet or melee attack.

If a 500+ pound predator with giant claws and a natural pouncing ability came at you in a full sprint while you were standing still, I don't find it even slightly believable that you could swing your gun at it and have it drop dead instantly.

It'll still be good from a gameplay perspective but I would have much preferred a very slow-moving, sneaking chameleon that would follow you around for 5-10 minutes in the shadows and eventually sneak up behind you etc...

Ploid 3.0

Justin Dailey said:
Agreed about the chameleons (invisible chimera). They do NOT look like they should be killed by a single bullet or melee attack.

If a 500+ pound predator with giant claws and a natural pouncing ability came at you in a full sprint while you were standing still, I don't find it even slightly believable that you could swing your gun at it and have it drop dead instantly.

It'll still be good from a gameplay perspective but I would have much preferred a very slow-moving, sneaking chameleon that would follow you around for 5-10 minutes in the shadows and eventually sneak up behind you etc...

Maybe they sacrificed armor for stealth. As they became super stealthy, they relied less on being hit. Also as far as gameplay go, that stuff would be annoying if they weren't killed quickly. Maybe the guy playing should have played less serious. like JS said he knew every location they would come (the tester).

DrPirate

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
Maybe they sacrificed armor for stealth. As they became super stealthy, they relied less on being hit. Also as far as gameplay go, that stuff would be annoying if they weren't killed quickly. Maybe the guy playing should have played less serious. like JS said he knew every location they would come (the tester).

I'm almost positive those things won't be dropped that quickly on tougher difficulties.

Ploid 3.0

DrPirate said:
I'm almost positive those things won't be dropped that quickly on tougher difficulties.

Oh man, I don't want to even imagine them in the harder difficulties. People will be breaking controllers. Nov 4th!

Also didn't he have a shotgun shooting them? What if he has another two weapons and forgot to save ammo for shotgun for quick close ranged kills. Also that shielded beast at the area with the cars and buildings. That thing looks very aggressive. JS said he's slayed many of them in his days which is why he was killing it so easily (the tester).

Kittonwy

Banned
Justin Dailey said:

They could make it so that when they get hit a wire or two will come loose and you can see sparks whipping around.

Indifferent2.gif

*stonecold stunnerz Justin Dailey*

Indifferent2.gif

ghostmind

OK, day late and a dollar short:

Can I still use Qore to get into the beta now? How do I go about doing that? Get a new annual sub or purchase the 3rd "backissue"?

Kittonwy

Banned
ghostmind said:
OK, day late and a dollar short:

Can I still use Qore to get into the beta now? How do I go about doing that? Get a new annual sub or purchase the 3rd "backissue"?

I suppose you can, the annual sub gets you into the beta quicker over the 3rd backissue purchase.

*stonecold stunnerz ghostmind*

Indifferent2.gif

I haven't been keeping up with the beta news......can someone help me?

I just got back from Gamestop, and entered in all my stuff. Did the beta start? Will they send me an e-mail now?

Guled

Blu_LED said:
I haven't been keeping up with the beta news......can someone help me?

I just got back from Gamestop, and entered in all my stuff. Did the beta start? Will they send me an e-mail now?
didn't start yet, they will most likely send the email a couple days before it starts

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Stike said:
Aaaaand everyone downloads :)

May take ages...

How can you classify the spoilers? Story? Weapon, Location, Characters?
Dunno, there is a cutscene where something (unexpected?) happens. But since I don't really care about FPS games (any of them) I can't say if it's significant or not.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
:lol
Private Hoffman said:
Wow.

But I thought Resistance 2 had no lighting?

Why is this video showing me otherwise...
Watch out !!! a Stone Cold Stunner is comming ! :lol
Just joking kittonwy

Has there been anything said about what happens in co-op if you don't have 8 players? Say you only want to play with friends and people you trust not to be douches, but there's only 5 of you, does it scale the enemies, fill the slots with AI?

Guled

Die Squirrel Die said:
Has there been anything said about what happens in co-op if you don't have 8 players? Say you only want to play with friends and people you trust not to be douches, but there's only 5 of you, does it scale the enemies, fill the slots with AI?
it scales the enemies

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kitton wtf

I wonder....I kind of want to preorder this now....but I dunoooooooo

JT:
We went back to the Festival du Jeu Video today planning to record more footage of Resistance 2, and I'm happy to report that we got another nice video of the game showing the other playable level. The guy playing this time isn't as good as yesterday's, but it's still very watchable. There is as usual no sound to be heard, and you know already how much it pleases me.

THERE IS NO SOUND

Ploid 3.0

I bet this was brought up before, but don't that sargent or whatever guy that's with Hale remind anyone else of Ted Price? Maybe it's the hair. I bet that was intended. Resistance is his baby.

snoopers

I am multitalented
Private Hoffman said:
Wow.

But I thought Resistance 2 had no lighting?

Why is this video showing me otherwise...

Lighting is mainly prebaked and looks flat. It doesn't mean there is none, just that it doesn't look very good.

dralla said:
the beta hasn't even started yet

then what is the girl with stick thing about?

And the new Gamersyde video looked great. I'm still wondering what is up with the constant ironsight mode with the rifle. First it is the slanted weird one of R1, then it is the close up great one that you would expect it to be, and now it seems like the middleground.

Keikoku

Banned
Snoopers said:
Lighting is mainly prebaked and looks flat. It doesn't mean there is none, just that it doesn't look very good.

Tu bosse à Canal maintenant Snoopers ? Quelle émission par curiosité ? :)

snoopers said:

So, if it doesn't look good, that means...?

Most games use a combination of prebaked shadows and dynamic shadows. The lighting and shadows, especially on the characters, looked good in that video.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Private Hoffman said:
So, if it doesn't look good, that means...?

Most games use a combination of prebaked shadows and dynamic shadows. The lighting and shadows, especially on the characters, looked good in that video.
The game looks exceptional any way you cut it. No one can cut it down when it looks that good with what it's pulling on the screen.

Hmm, I am sure I am in the minority, but I actually like the look of the flat lighting. It reminds me of an old overexposed polaroid, and (at least in my mind) it seems to be more an artistic expression than a limitation within the game. It seems to fit well with the old newsreel footage, aged documents and pictures used to tell the story. I don't really get the impression that Insomniac is going for hyper-realism, and is instead aiming for something slightly cartoon like.

This may be do to my experience with the R&C series. I have only seen videos online and the actual in-person experience may indicate that the game is trying to present itself as something more than I assume, and that in that attempt it leaves itself lacking. Whatever the case may be, I picked up my beta voucher today and I am very excited to start playing this in the next few weeks.

Top Bottom