• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JB1981 said:
UnBELIEVABLE MAN. My R3 game data is completely corrupted and now I can't delete it off my HDD. THE ONLY way that I can play this game now is if i reformat my HDD. fuckkkkk11!! o;

You can. I had the same issue but the truth is it just deletes it veeeeeery slowly for some odd reasons. Both me and a fried of mine managed to get rid of the corrupted data simply letting it go for about 30 minute.

I think you can stop and resume as well. You'll see file size reducing overtime.

Loudninja

TTP said:
You can. I had the same issue but the truth is it just deletes it veeeeeery slowly for some odd reasons. Both me and a fried of mine managed to get rid of the corrupted data simply letting it go for about 30 minute.

I think you can stop and resume as well. You'll see file size reducing overtime.
Yes IG said it will take 30 minutes because of some bug.

JB1981

It won't delete the data. It error'd out after a half hour. @ pliskin ps+ won't help me keep my betas and demos would it? this is beyond annoying. I absolutely refuse to wipe my HDD just to play this game. I have a slim downstairs, i'll just play it on there when i can. fuck this. not worth it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
CozMick said:
Hmmm, just started up R3 and didn't get a prompt for 1.5

My game is still on 1.4 but I can still join matchmaking :\

1.04 was just released.

BTW, haven't played online since the beta. Played a few matches with Move and ended between the first 4 o 5 players on my (losing) team consistently despite being a lvl 7 against 40s or something :D (WTF at matchmaking).

Anyway, seems like frame drops are as bad as in the beta. Not sure if I want to endure.

Loudninja

TTP said:
1.04 was just released.

BTW, haven't played online since the beta. Played a few matches with Move and ended between the first 4 o 5 players on my (losing) team consistently despite being a lvl 7 against 40s or something :D (WTF at matchmaking).

Anyway, seems like frame drops are as bad as in the beta. Not sure if I want to endure.
Framerate issues are clean getting clean up in the last patch.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just tried some matches:
+ The micro freeze when you die is gone. YAY!
+ Less lag all around. YAY!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Fersis said:
Just tried some matches:
+ The micro freeze when you die is gone. YAY!
+ Less lag all around. YAY!

The hell? It's the opposite here. It's not "micro" either. It's huge.
@Loudninja - You mean 1.05 right?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TTP said:
The hell? It's the opposite here. It's not "micro" either. It's huge.

@Loudninja - You mean 1.05 right?
Sorry then but its gone for me. V__V!

Oh and its pretty cool that the patches are only 22Mb now (Just the Multiplayer binary files?) instead of the huge patches that R2 had.

Fersis

TTP said:
Not questioning that. To me, every time I die, it's like the PS3 is dieing as well. :D
AUGMENTED REALITY MAN!!

IT ONLY DOES EVERYTHING ™

patsu

zlatko said:
My campaign run was about 7.5 hours on hard with probably 5 deaths through the whole thing. Still not seeing much incentive there for a replay.

Pacing for the game felt like it always was on the same note, even when it was trying to amp you up with a boss fight, it just felt like I was being pulled down one straight line the entire game. I found the majority of the collectibles too and they were not well hidden to encourage enough exploration.

Hmm... pacing and linearity are 2 totally separate concepts. The game has great atmosphere in some locations, and you can use any approach to clear the levels. I had to switch to different weapons to clear the enemies.

The lighting in the game doesn't strike me as anything spectacular either, but that's probably because Gears of War 3 spoiled me on what to expect in that regard now. What particular combat effects are you referring to? Weapon wise only two did anything for me and that was the sledge hammer and that other gun you got in the prison which had some cool effects on enemies.

Check out DF's analysis of the R3 beta here:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-resistance-3

The engine upgrades we see in Resistance 3 serve a combination of purposes, but perhaps the most important element is in how they enhance the actual gameplay. The physics engine ensures that all the fun you've having with the weaponry translates into suitably appropriate action on-screen, with Battlefield/Frostbite levels of destruction mostly utilised in a series of standout, interactive set-pieces. The impact of your weaponry on both environment and Chimera is appropriately impressive, and there's a real sense of collateral damage to the gunplay as props go flying in the carnage. Compare and contrast to Medal of Honor, where a lamp stays rooted to a table even after a direct RPG hit.

Purely visual improvements to the Insomniac engine come across as a hybrid of Killzone 3 and Metro 2033. There's a wealth of intricate detailing in all aspects of the artwork and a lot of dynamic lights and shadow in play. Ambient occlusion is also well implemented, adding a further layer of depth to the environments, and there's a wealth of post-processing effects in play, including some beautiful light shafts/god-rays.

Resistance 3 doesn't skimp on alpha effects either. Fog, smoke and dust are all well utilised in adding to the realism of the scene, and come into their own during the pitched combat and the destruction-based set-pieces. Camera and object-based motion blur are also par for the course - something of a standard in all of Sony's key first-party titles.

I thought R1 was great, and I even enjoyed R2's campaign for what it was, but R3 felt super weak in every department and the things I'll take away from it in the long run I'd say are:

R1's SP AI, atmosphere, and big battles were great but the gameplay was often segmented and disrupted by Rachel's narrative. The game also warmed up slowly. R2 campaign was the weakest amongst the 3 PS3 Resistance games because the health bar is too short, and the game literally tells you what weapon to use for the current level. R3 has the best atmosphere of the 3. Gunplay is fun as noted in most reviews. Automatic weapon upgrade also made the combat more interesting. I wouldn't say it's super weak in every department. ^_^

The Ending was awful, and everything leading up to it narrative was dull as shit.
Beating people with a sledgehammer was a woah WTF moment, and so was the moment before that when Dr. M was executed in front of Capelli.

That's about it. I played the game on release and the rest of the game is honestly a blur. If I think hard sure right now I can recall more of the game, but this isn't a game that people will be singing songs of praise or will go down in the books as a MUST PLAY of this console generation.

Still worth renting if you played R1/R2 and are curious what happens next in this universe. For me, the game was just another shooter and doesn't do enough to distinguish itself from the pack. I guess I just expected more. :/

Combat in the last few levels was fun since I had a fully loaded weapon wheel and used all of them. I don't think anyone needs to sing song for the game. If you love weaponry, the game offers a great variety and the gunplay are fun. I liked how they portrait the human world after the Chimeran invasion. Pace is hectic in MP.

As for expectation, I think this is the best of the 3 Resistance games, and I enjoyed it more than other SP shooters on PS3 this year.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
patsu said:
Gah, is this a known firmware bug ? How come Sony doesn't fix it after so many stability patches ?

Don't give them reason for another one. Fuck R3 install data. Let it rot there :D

patsu

It may affect other games though. They should fix it.

Also tried 1.04 second time today. In general, all the stutters and lags are gone for me now. I still caught a micro stutter once briefly, but it's been stable so far. Thank goodness !

MrPliskin

Banned
JB1981 said:
It won't delete the data. It error'd out after a half hour. @ pliskin ps+ won't help me keep my betas and demos would it? this is beyond annoying. I absolutely refuse to wipe my HDD just to play this game. I have a slim downstairs, i'll just play it on there when i can. fuck this. not worth it.

Hey sorry, I wasn't trying to devalue your problems or issues, just saying PS+ is the business for auto-updating save files.

Really sucks man, I hope there's a solution down the line to help you with all this. Is it your save data that is corrupt, or the game data? I'd recommend trying to delete it another time or two, just so you can get a "constant" (scientific method ftw). If it doesn't work, then you'll probably be SOL.

Really unfortunate man :(

highrider

Banned
i'm about halfway through my superhuman campaign. man, the ai is great in this game. i just got kind of slapped around on the sniper level. great maybe isn't the right word, but really entertaining and challenging. reminds me of the legendary difficulty in the halo games. riding that line of prohibitive difficulty and challenge nicely.

that being said, i'm sure there are guys that beat this in no time on superhuman and died like once.

Rolf NB

zlatko said:
Pacing for the game felt like it always was on the same note, even when it was trying to amp you up with a boss fight, it just felt like I was being pulled down one straight line the entire game. I found the majority of the collectibles too and they were not well hidden to encourage enough exploration.
Ehrm wut? Are we playing the same game?
Grimm town is probably the least corridory fps level this generation. There are several entire houses full of stuff, ground floors, top floors, two+ rooms each, you do not even have to enter.

Or New York. Almost all of it. Or the first boss fight, with all the different places, ups and downs you can choose to be, all around the "arena". And that sawmill. The VTOL defense with the smashed up house with multiple floors, lots of rooms behind the scenes, and the big battles out front. Almost as a rule, any place with significant combat has at least two paths to go around, often even three or four.

Really now. If Resitance 3, of all games, is one you think is too directed, I'd certainly like to know which fps games you think are less directed. Because if we disqualify actual open-world games (RFG, Borderlands), I can't think of any.

Having a blast with this game, running through coop with a buddy. My only disappointment are the visuals. They are stunning one second and then in another scene the characters look out of place in the level. Like a bad photoshop job.

BeeDog

Started replaying the game on Superhuman last week, and just reached New York. I actually think I like the game's SP even more this time around; as Y2Kev said, it feels highly replayable. This difficulty level is a bit on the annoying side though since you don't have much health at all and most enemies aim like professional snipers. I also have to say I'm still floored by the level design; fantastic stuff all around since it feels every inch of the levels are hand-crafted. So many details.

I might go for a third Easy run just to go all-out; I have a feeling the game might be even more fun then just like with R2.

pelican

TTP said:
1.04 was just released.

That is due to the Move being completely unbalanced on line.

zlatko

Banned
Rolf NB said:
Ehrm wut? Are we playing the same game?
Grimm town is probably the least corridory fps level this generation. There are several entire houses full of stuff, ground floors, top floors, two+ rooms each, you do not even have to enter.

Or New York. Almost all of it. Or the first boss fight, with all the different places, ups and downs you can choose to be, all around the "arena". And that sawmill. The VTOL defense with the smashed up house with multiple floors, lots of rooms behind the scenes, and the big battles out front. Almost as a rule, any place with significant combat has at least two paths to go around, often even three or four.

Really now. If Resitance 3, of all games, is one you think is too directed, I'd certainly like to know which fps games you think are less directed. Because if we disqualify actual open-world games (RFG, Borderlands), I can't think of any.

Crysis 2. It had a giant chunk of exploration and multiple ways to get through levels.

Bad Company 2 also had a great deal of reason to explore to find the various guns and such.

Far Cry 2.

I also wouldn't disqualify Deus Ex: HR. It was FPS with stealth and RPG elements, and it had a great dose of exploration to be had.

There's a bevvy of third person shooters I could mention too I suppose, but I'm guessing you want just first person shooter examples. Uncharted 2 and Gears of War 3 definitely gave me more room explore and Gears 3 even has moments where you split up so you need another play through of the section usually to see what the other player had to do when split up.

But yeah, that's some examples of games that didn't make me feel like I was marching down a very guided experience, and a dry one at that. Different strokes for different folks though. :)

Rolf NB

zlatko said:
Crysis 2. It had a giant chunk of exploration and multiple ways to get through levels.

Bad Company 2 also had a great deal of reason to explore to find the various guns and such.

Far Cry 2.

I also wouldn't disqualify Deus Ex: HR. It was FPS with stealth and RPG elements, and it had a great dose of exploration to be had.

There's a bevvy of third person shooters I could mention too I suppose, but I'm guessing you want just first person shooter examples. Uncharted 2 and Gears of War 3 definitely gave me more room explore and Gears 3 even has moments where you split up so you need another play through of the section usually to see what the other player had to do when split up.

But yeah, that's some examples of games that didn't make me feel like I was marching down a very guided experience, and a dry one at that. Different strokes for different folks though. :)
Good examples. Had forgotten about the Crytek games for some reason.

I still see it rather as one of the R3 campaign's strengths that it is unusually open and has levels with lots of "superfluous" extra routes and rooms. Refreshingly so. That's why I find it weird to see it criticized for that, but you're right, there are some games that go further. Swathes that don't OTOH.

test_account

XP-39C²
Are there any plans on adding an hardcore online mode to this game? I wish that this game had a hardcore mode where no perks or heavy weapons (atomizer and rocket launcher) are allowed, and where health is 50% of normal.

My biggest issue with this game is how much the enemy can take of damage before they die. I can shoot like 15 bullets in chest/head area while aiming down sight and i many times i still dont get the kill.

Trevelyan

Banned
zlatko said:

Far Cry 2.

While I don't disagree with this completely, the charm of Resistance 3 lies in it's weapons. It's not about going route A or route B, which while ultimately look different, don't play differently, it's about deciding what weapon would be best to use and how to use it. I feel that's the upper leg R3 has on the other games you mentioned.

Rolf NB

To be fair, it isn't open in the sense that you can climb out of combat setups onto some hill off the sides. Even at its widest, least restricted moments, it still forces you to face at least a portion of the enemies on the way, and there are always clear transition points into the next area. And of course there are levels where it keeps you in very specific places and ushers you along a corridor. I rather enjoyed how it switched back and forth between these several modes. Ultimately I enjoy the combat mechanics so much, and I feel the encounters are designed so well that I don't feel the need to go completely off the rails. Fighting my way through areas in sequence is still fun as long as each individual area is fun to conquer and things keep changing up enough. And that's definitely the case here.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
finally played it with the Move patch. Sooooo goooood.

This game has probably the best SP campaign this year. just finished gears 3, and can't wait to finish the campaign with the Move again. And one of the best gaming experience I've had this year. period.

needless to say, there are not many fps like this nowadays, where there is no health pack, no revives, and you can carry your entire arsenal with you. I love it to death.

patsu

Rolf NB said:
Good examples. Had forgotten about the Crytek games for some reason.

I still see it rather as one of the R3 campaign's strengths that it is unusually open and has levels with lots of "superfluous" extra routes and rooms. Refreshingly so. That's why I find it weird to see it criticized for that, but you're right, there are some games that go further. Swathes that don't OTOH.

You missed out the sniper mountain in the game ! 8^)

R3 is also not just about multiple routes. We already have multiple routes in some "non-story" levels. You can also try different weapons on different enemies to clear the levels. You can pick favorite weapons to upgrade by using them more often. You can also abort and run away if the level is too difficult.

You can "buy" cheats to tweak Chimeran and Capelli's attributes too, not just toying with difficulty level.

patsu

ChiefEdiri said:
The MP plays beautifully now. :')

Thanks Insomiac.

Yes, but about 1.05. Insomniac, I still encounter some frame drop when there are too much activities on screen, 'specially when someone was using the Cryogun in the middle of a multi-party skirmish.

JB1981

MrPliskin said:
Hey sorry, I wasn't trying to devalue your problems or issues, just saying PS+ is the business for auto-updating save files.

Really sucks man, I hope there's a solution down the line to help you with all this. Is it your save data that is corrupt, or the game data? I'd recommend trying to delete it another time or two, just so you can get a "constant" (scientific method ftw). If it doesn't work, then you'll probably be SOL.

Really unfortunate man :(

It is the game data. I don't know what happened. I was prompted to update to 1.04 and the patch downloaded/installed etc but after the patch the system just hung on the loading screen for eternity. I tried to delete the game data completely and it was taking so long that I figured there was something wrong. So, like a moron, I shut down my system in the middle of the delete process. Of course this corrupted the game data file. I tried to delete the corrupted data but it didn't work after my first try. It error'd out after about a half hour of trying. I had a similar scenario a long time ago with Uncharted 2. I don't know what the cause is, I guess it's some kind of bug in the patch process.

@JS - thanks for clarifying. If it is a system software bug it is a shame that it has been going on for so long. This is not the first documented case of this happening. I believe it has affected many PS3 users for a long time now.

Sorry for freaking out and cursing on last page it is just really really frustrating.

patsu

I think if you back up your game data now, you can still recover the HDD, losing only R3 progress.

May want to confirm with Insomniac about your MP status. They usually keep your MP stats on server anyway, so losing the local save file should not affect your MP progress. People like me have 2 PS3s that are not fully synchronized with each other, but my MP stats seem the same on both systems.

patsu

Loudninja said:
Hah is anyone still using the shotguns and atomizer weapons?I swear getting kill by those is greatly reduce.

Yes, people are still using Atomizer and Wildfire for objective games. They are very powerful.

I use Bullseye, and only switch to these heavy builds if the opposite team spam them.

I love my Turret, and use it all the time. 8^)

vDaedalus

Ok, I have a question. Has anyone else experienced a level DECREASE since the patch? For some reason I've lost my remnant costumes and have the option to remnant again. Was this intentional?

T-0800

The latest update fixed the MP framerate for me. Yes!!

Sad that it wasn't like this to start of with though. Better late than never.

Top Bottom