• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Decado

How is splitscreen coop this time around? They completely fucked it up in R2 (stupid point system, forced 4:3 resolution etc.).

Fucking fantastic. Thanks for another great game, Insomniac.

The art style and atmosphere is superb, exactly what I expected to see after R1. The grim segments are spooky, and when there's a ton of shit going down it totally gets your heart beating. Playing with the Sharpshooter and having a ton of fun. :D

MrPliskin

Banned
Decado said:
How is splitscreen coop this time around? They completely fucked it up in R2 (stupid point system, forced 4:3 resolution etc.).

It wasn't 4:3 resolution. It was a proper aspect ratio for each player. You each have a 16:9 screen, where as other games that use the full screen simply squash everything, thus screwing up your FoV and HUD placement. This solution is the best (though the way RE5 did it was best).

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Pai Pai Master said:
Fucking fantastic. Thanks for another great game, Insomniac.

The art style and atmosphere is superb, exactly what I expected to see after R1. The grim segments are spooky, and when there's a ton of shit going down it totally gets your heart beating. Playing with the Sharpshooter and having a ton of fun. :D

glad you liked. fixes to make sharpshooter better in terms of aiming down sights are coming!

Massa

For the people complaining about the game being too blurry, I wonder if manually adjusting it to only use 25% of your screen area in calibration would help. Personally I sit far away from the TV that it doesn't matter and the game looks phenomenal, but it may be worth a shot.

Melchiah

MrPliskin said:
It wasn't 4:3 resolution. It was a proper aspect ratio for each player. You each have a 16:9 screen, where as other games that use the full screen simply squash everything, thus screwing up your FoV and HUD placement. This solution is the best (though the way RE5 did it was best).

I think RFoM's vertically divided split screen was the best, as it gave a perfect view on a widescreen TV; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z16isg_piN4. They should've at least offered a choice to play it like that. The horizontal view, that doesn't even fill the whole screen, is just too narrow for me, which means I won't be playing the offline co-op at all. And it was the feature I wanted the most after weapon wheel.

MrPliskin

Banned
Melchiah said:
I think RFoM's vertically divided split screen was the best, as it gave a perfect view on a widescreen TV; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z16isg_piN4. They should've at least offered a choice to play it like that. The horizontal view, that doesn't even fill the whole screen, is just too narrow for me, which means I won't be playing the offline co-op at all. And it was the feature I wanted the most after weapon wheel.

Well, you're also looking at an almost generational gap between FoM and R3, as far as processing power is concerned. I just don't think it is possible for the engine to render full screen and still maintain the performance it has when they "shrink" the aspect ratio for 2 screens. I think RE5 did it best, but we could talk opinions all day long :p

Here's what RE5 did, for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_BeHdG-X3s

JB1981

Why didn't anyone tell me how much better the guns feel and control with camera acceleration disabled?!!! Sooo much better, partcicularly in multiplayer

Melchiah

MrPliskin said:
Well, you're also looking at an almost generational gap between FoM and R3, as far as processing power is concerned. I just don't think it is possible for the engine to render full screen and still maintain the performance it has when they "shrink" the aspect ratio for 2 screens. I think RE5 did it best, but we could talk opinions all day long :p

Here's what RE5 did, for reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_BeHdG-X3s

I don't mind even if they'd lessen the eye candy, I just want a full screen vertical split screen. =) RFoM looked great on split screen mode (no rose-tinted memories, I've played it quite recently), and I guess with years worth of engine optimizations even better results could be achieved?

Never played RE5 on co-op, as I HATE that kind of split screen mode. It so horrible it takes away all the enjoyment that could be had.

Just finished it, I loved it! I had a few audio lag issues, but other than that I thought it was great!

Question about new game+, do you get all your weapons from the start or are they just already upgraded when you find them. Because what's the point of the "all weapons" cheat if you get them from the start?

Also those were some long ass end credits
with no extra scene after it, come on! They could have shown some chimeran overlord watching the teraformer crash from the chimeran home planet or something

kingschiebi said:
Zero Punctuation Review is up

Pretty much spot on as always
he really seems to like it

Yup, it's pretty much on the point. Yes, it's pretty much Half Life 2 without the driving sections that drag on (one could argue that the boat part drags a bit though) and that's why it's the best FPS campaign in the recent years.

Loudninja said:
No you have to fine them again and they will be still upgraded.You can use a cheat to start with all of them though.

Thanks! Also my "normal" playthrough was only 6:40, that seems pretty short, I thought i read somewhere that it was around a 10 hour game.

patsu

TSAGoodness said:
Thanks! Also my "normal" playthrough was only 6:40, that seems pretty short, I thought i read somewhere that it was around a 10 hour game.

If you're using the time in the game profile, it doesn't include death retries.

Melchiah

TSAGoodness said:

The first time on normal took me a little bit over 10 hours, and the second on easy took about 8½ hours, but that was probably because I tried to find all the journals I missed the first time.

Damn, Ravenholm is pretty tense on Superhuman. Died like 8 times before reaching the preacher, and I died like 8 times TOTAL before that part.

Rolf NB

Stuck on the boat in superhuman for now, the checkpoint
after the goliath turns around, with all the longlegs
making my life miserable. My plan was to spam marksman turrets, but I'm somehow checkpointed with only one left and the carnage starts so immediately after it loads that I can't stock up.

Marksman is definitely the weapon to down them at range. Two bursts at most, sometimes one when it's well enough on the head. I just don't react fast enough when they close into melee range. They are somewhat unpredictable in which side they'll rush you from and it's basically one good hit and I'm down.

Oh my, this really goes well along with my avatar!

Loving single player. Such a great half life 2 vibe. The texture work is outstanding int his game and the lighting. The lower resolution doesn't really bother me that much once I get into it.

So I upgraded the marksmen all the way in multiplayer and I thought thats how you get the larger sized turrets? I looked through all the menus but I cant find it? How do you get those?

Loudninja

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Loving single player. Such a great half life 2 vibe. The texture work is outstanding int his game and the lighting. The lower resolution doesn't really bother me that much once I get into it.

So I upgraded the marksmen all the way in multiplayer and I thought thats how you get the larger sized turrets? I looked through all the menus but I cant find it? How do you get those?
That turret is a ability , you unlock it on level 38.

VanWinkle

Gaf, I just bought resistance 3 and I'm at my brothers house. We went on his account so he could play it (I had rented before). We didn't do the update, since we werent going to play multiplayer. But I'm worried that somehow the psn pass activated on his since we played it first on his account. Would this be the case? I havent tried it on my account yet.

Melchiah

VanWinkle said:
Gaf, I just bought resistance 3 and I'm at my brothers house. We went on his account so he could play it (I had rented before). We didn't do the update, since we werent going to play multiplayer. But I'm worried that somehow the psn pass activated on his since we played it first on his account. Would this be the case? I havent tried it on my account yet.

You have to use the code given in the package, and download the pass from PSN Store and install it, so unless you did that you should be safe.

Rolf NB

And I'm stuck again in the survival horror section. Superhuman difficulty is tough, who'd have thought!
Enough for tonight. I'll smack 'em good soon enough.

TEH-CJ

Banned
thuway said:
So GAF, I just wanted to say- fuck the critics.

This game >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gears 3.

It really doesn't bra, and I love resistance as much as I love a wet pussy. gears 3 is pretty amazing. its better by a large margin.

p.s I wish the AI was more aggressive or something. they just stand back like bullet sponges. can this be fix via patch?

MrPliskin

Banned
TEH-CJ said:
It really doesn't bra, and I love resistance as much as I love a wet pussy. gears 3 is pretty amazing. its better by a large margin.

p.s I wish the AI was more aggressive or something. they just stand back like bullet sponges. can this be fix via patch?
DUUUUUUUDE. BROOOOOOO. FUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEAAAAAA. BLOOOOOD.

Seriously though, keep this silly stuff out of this thread.

Rolf NB said:
Stuck on the boat in superhuman for now, the checkpoint
after the goliath turns around, with all the longlegs
making my life miserable. My plan was to spam marksman turrets, but I'm somehow checkpointed with only one left and the carnage starts so immediately after it loads that I can't stock up.

Marksman is definitely the weapon to down them at range. Two bursts at most, sometimes one when it's well enough on the head. I just don't react fast enough when they close into melee range. They are somewhat unpredictable in which side they'll rush you from and it's basically one good hit and I'm down.

Oh my, this really goes well along with my avatar!

Magnum explosive rounds are your friend. I died couple of times on that part too but Magnum on close range & one turret makes it easier

I think I'm going to be getting the Doomsday bundle as a gift in a few days. I'm really looking forward to it, both for the game and because I've never played anything with a Move before.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Must not make comment about intelligence of the general gears fans based off of one post.Must not make comment about intelligence of the general gears fans based off of one post.Must not make comment about intelligence of the general gears fans based off of one post.

..... The Simpsons!!!!

No but seriously I agree with Mr.Pliskin and for both sides of the fence. Hell it's dumb to compare them really. I guess if you wanted to compare Uncharted to Gears or Halo to Resistance you could. But even still it's still silly and only shits up the thread.

On the other side of the coin...

Holy fuck the mutator is HILARIOUS online when used right :D

Neuromancer said:
I think I'm going to be getting the Doomsday bundle as a gift in a few days. I'm really looking forward to it, both for the game and because I've never played anything with a Move before.

I'm jelly! I wanted to try out move and stuff it looked tons of fun. I heard a lot of people on GAF liked that sports game I think that came prepackaged with a move a while back as well. Sadly I was never able to test them out myself due to my arms not really working anymore >.< stupid things >.< But check out the thread might be something you enjoy o.o

MrPliskin

Banned
QisTopTier said:
Must not make comment about intelligence of the general gears fans based off of one post.Must not make comment about intelligence of the general gears fans based off of one post.Must not make comment about intelligence of the general gears fans based off of one post.

..... The Simpsons!!!!

No but seriously I agree with Mr.Pliskin and for both sides of the fence. Hell it's dumb to compare them really. I guess if you wanted to compare Uncharted to Gears or Halo to Resistance you could. But even still it's still silly and only shits up the thread.

On the other side of the coin...

Holy fuck the mutator is HILARIOUS online when used right :D

I'm jelly! I wanted to try out move and stuff it looked tons of fun. I heard a lot of people on GAF liked that sports game I think that came prepackaged with a move a while back as well. Sadly I was never able to test them out myself due to my arms not really working anymore >.< stupid things >.< But check out the thread might be something you enjoy o.o
Refer to the mutator as the Poop Pipe please. It's disrespectful to its victims otherwise...or something like that :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
MrPliskin said:
Refer to the mutator as the Poop Pipe please. It's disrespectful to its victims otherwise...or something like that :p
Does that mean who ever uses it just got back from Taco Bell and has the tube stuck up their.... >.>

TheHakku

Beam said:
Amazing SP campaign. I only wish the narrator from the first Resistance was back.
She is! ...In multiplayer. :/ Link your myresistance.net account with your PSN and you will acquire Rachael Parker! :)

Vasilisk said:
Where's my Move patch? I was expecting to use it in my Superhuman run, but at this rate I'll probably get the platinum before >_>

even if its being held up by Sony QA staff we can't blame them, they should reprimand Insomniac or something for releasing 4-5 patches in the first month of the game, ridiculous... for those who don't have Internet access it must suck since the game-breaking bugs preventing from finishing the campaign were fixed to some extent (not fully) through 1.01 ...

and btw this game's SP is amazing, and MP a lot of fun, madness and craziness all around but a lot of fun, totally different from your typical military online shooter.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just finished the game last night, and felt the whole campaign was just fantastic. Loved the atmosphere, and the guns just felt sooo good to wield.
I've said it before, but I really loved the look of the look of the game. Textures, sometimes had more of a painted look to me.

Rolf NB

PetriP-TNT said:
Magnum explosive rounds are your friend. I died couple of times on that part too but Magnum on close range & one turret makes it easier
I already passed it, more or less as planned. Marksman turrets whenever available, marksman primary to kill them at range, marksman primary to kill them up close. Marksman, marksman, marksman.

I found that switching to, say, shotgun when they bum-rush you usually gets me killed, because there's a couple seconds where I can't shoot at all. That's why I tried to stick with a single weapon. And never reload, just use the ammo box. It fills your clip, too, and it's much faster.

Oneself

Superb game but damn, the NY area was TERRIBADLY tested.

When the Widowmaker jumps to the left side/building of the area (from where you enter the area, when facing the billboard) it just never dies. That last part when there's a "something" hanging under its belly becomes infinity! Other enemies stop re-spawning and all you have left after 20 minutes of shooting is your sledgehammer. I had to do it 5 times in order to beat it, and I thought R2 was badly tested...
Also, about 10 minutes later, in the building just before getting out in the big area with snipers and two bunkers (before entering the aliens' base) you can make just about every walls disappear and drop down into the "infinite nothing". At first I was worried that my slim's video card was fried but then I realized that testers took a break during that part.

Top Bottom