• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Thrakier

You really shouldn't let IQ stand in the way of you playing a fantastic game. If everyone were like that, how would we ever enjoy stuff like SMG? :)

That's how SMG looks for me, my friend. ;D

sb4p01-2129vrs.png

patsu

I have a question, when playing the beta and the demo, the game seemed to have a very low resolution?

Is the not scaling well to my Full HD TV? I would like to know this, because this is the biggest problem I'm seeing for getting the game.

The game resolution is 960x704.

Don't judge the game by the beta or the demo though. Both are inadequate to show the game's pacing and fun. The SP is solid. After the last patch, the dedicated server MP is finally stable, smooth and quick.

MrPliskin

Banned
That's how SMG looks for me, my friend. ;D

sb4p01-2129vrs.png

Congrats to you and the other 1,500 people who enjoyed it "more" because you invested in a beefy PC? Not sure what your post is getting at, outside of showing that you're more the tech enthusiast than a gamer :p

Skipping on any good ge because it isn't "pretty enough" for you will always be utterly stupid in my book.

Thrakier

Congrats to you and the other 1,500 people who enjoyed it "more" because you invested in a beefy PC? Not sure what your post is getting at, outside of showing that you're more the tech enthusiast than a gamer :p

Skipping on any good ge because it isn't "pretty enough" for you will always be utterly stupid in my book.

Man, it's really hard for you, isn't it? It's not like one thing comes with the other. Saying that I'm more tech enthusiast than a gamer as someone who probably invested years of lifetime in videogames (OH MY GAWD, I need to stop thinking about that) is just utterly stupid and you know that. I'm both. And I'm not skipping a good game because of bad tech, never did that. But would R3 @1080p @60FPS @perfect IQ enhance my enjoyment? Certainly.

And besides that gaming as a virtual medium was always (ok, at least till the soccer moms came) about technical improvement as well. The combination of tech and gaming enthuisasm is what defines gaming for me. Other than that go play monopoly or chess or whatever, great games, you can make up great stories in your phantasy as well, cool 2 to 6 player mode (splitscreen even), great replayability.

theBishop

Banned

Pithiness +20

MrPliskin

Banned
Man, it's really hard for you, isn't it? It's not like one thing comes with the other. Saying that I'm more tech enthusiast than a gamer as someone who probably invested years of lifetime in videogames (OH MY GAWD, I need to stop thinking about that) is just utterly stupid and you know that. I'm both. And I'm not skipping a good game because of bad tech, never did that. But would R3 @1080p @60FPS @perfect IQ enhance my enjoyment? Certainly.

And besides that gaming as a virtual medium was always (ok, at least till the soccer moms came) about technical improvement as well. The combination of tech and gaming enthuisasm is what defines gaming for me. Other than that go play monopoly or chess or whatever, great games, you can make up great stories in your phantasy as well, cool 2 to 6 player mode (splitscreen even), great replayability.

Let me put it like this: You denounced R3 as being a title not worth the new sticker price almost entirely based on visuals and nothing more.

R3 is far from an ugly game. Maybe it's not cutting edge like a Crysis, or Uncharted, but it's actually fun, which should always be at the forefront of every video game purchasing decision.

Also, what do soccer moms have to do with anything? Does Minecraft not exist to you? MMO's? There are LOTS of games that aren't pretty but are embraced by gamers world wide.

Thrakier

Let me put it like this: You denounced R3 as being a title not worth the new sticker price almost entirely based on visuals and nothing more.

R3 is far from an ugly game. Maybe it's not cutting edge like a Crysis, or Uncharted, but it's actually fun, which should always be at the forefront of every video game purchasing decision.

Also, what do soccer moms have to do with anything? Does Minecraft not exist to you? MMO's? There are LOTS of games that aren't pretty but are embraced by gamers world wide.

Minecraft has a very specific style that I guess helped it. Videogames industry was always driven by technical inonovation (MMORPG kinda is that) and grahpics are a huige part of this procedure. Whatever, this discussion doesn't lead anything. If you are denying that success and fun of a videogame are related to it's tech then so be it. I mean it's a super silly opinion considering again that this medium just exists BECAUSE of tec and so is defined by how it uses it. It's like you say communication is always communication, it doesn' matter which medium you use to do communication. But they way we are talking here tells us that this isn't true. ;)

That's too easy, it doesn't work this way.

I was gonna go and vent about the multiplayer again (like how TDM and Breach are the only modes that actually somewhat work, why the hell you can't either shoot or run while carrying the flag (I mean come on, there's no team work, the CTF rounds drag on forever), how some maps make winning Chain Reaction super easy (prison especially)...) but I quit after couple of rounds and decided to continue SP on Superhuman.

And damn the SP is great. It can be pretty easy and pretty unfair at the same time, but at least I am making progress all the time. The setpieces are goddamn awesome (I am now at Terraformer, played the NY chapter), the weapons are diverse (even if they are unbalanced in MP) and cool and overall it's the best SP campaign in a long while.

By the way, had the most ridiculous MP round yet, our team vs. some clan where everyone had prestiged like 7 times. The whole map was full of turrets and our team couldn't even move! I tried quitting but apparently it was the only game going on that had space, lolz.

I

patsu

Heh heh... I usually vote for deathmatch if B&T is in the house. ^_^
Team deathmatches and objective games against them are difficult.

Some members are not so great but there are 3-4 annoying (read: good) players. Together, they are unstoppable (Turrets, Atomizer). 8^(

Yea, those are just the "play alots". None of them are great, but together they spam the "shit" and kina ruin things. You'll never catch them playing w/out crutches.

Yeah, I managed to stay on top but the turret/whatever spam is just too much.

Can't wait to get to lvl 32 so I can at least get Assassin skill, how come that second perk doesn't have anything worth while until that? Doppelganger only distracts yourself and that electric shield is useless.

And I am usually on on weekdays from 21-> (GTM+2), ID: MemphisCreep

edit: started Trophy whoring today, only missing 4 for a plat.

hoverX

How does Resistance play with Move? is Move basically a gimmick or will it actually be fun (just recently bought a ps3)

MrPliskin

Banned
How does Resistance play with Move? is Move basically a gimmick or will it actually be fun (just recently bought a ps3)

That really depends on what you like. I really enjoy shooters with Move (in Single Player). I had fun with R3 after the move controls were tightened up, and didn't feel it was a gimmick at all. Do you already own move, or will this be your first move game?

hoverX

That really depends on what you like. I really enjoy shooters with Move (in Single Player). I had fun with R3 after the move controls were tightened up, and didn't feel it was a gimmick at all. Do you already own move, or will this be your first move game?

It's mostly for my girlfriend who wants to play Time Crisis and House of the Dead. I was debating between the Resistance 3 bundle or the Goldeneye bundle since they are cheap right now. I loved Goldeneye on the N64 but I hear Resistance is great too.

MrPliskin

Banned
It's mostly for my girlfriend who wants to play Time Crisis and House of the Dead. I was debating between the Resistance 3 bundle or the Goldeneye bundle since they are cheap right now. I loved Goldeneye on the N64 but I hear Resistance is great too.

I can't speak for Golden Eye, but I can't recommend R3 enough for a fun and refreshing FPS. It doesn't feel like the plethora of military clone-shooters released annually, and is worth checking out for that reason alone.

IMO :)

Cornbread78

Hey, how many people play this on a daily basis? Are their any numbers anywhere for it? I haven't played it in a couple weeks for the simple fact that there was no challange. I mean, playing TDM and winning almost every match and it not even being close 3/4 isn't that much fun. Most of the classic Resistance clans just didn't stick around and/or together outside of [501] ; )_~~

matmanx1

Tried to install R3 last night but of course got prompted for the 1.05 patch upon boot up so I went ahead and grabbed it. 30 minutes later the game is ready to install so I let it. PS3 locks up on "Installing Trophies" so I reboot the system. R3 now only boots to a black screen which also locks up the PS3. R3 game data is corrupted. Over an hour wasted. =(

I did some internet browsing this morning and evidently this is a common problem if you patch before you install. So now I get to wait another 45 minutes for the corrupted data to delete from my PS3 before I can start the whole process over again. Pretty inexcusable for something like this to be a problem.

Maybe tonight after work I'll actually have time to redo the process and actually play the game.

.la1n

I can think of a few good reason someone may be turned off by Resistance 3 but the graphics would not be one of them.

SkylineRKR

People in doubt should really consider trying this game and not wave it away because of its supposed ugliness. I was in doubt too, and skipped it because I wanted Rage. Resistance dropped to 25 euros at MediaMarkt recently and I decided to give it a shot. 3 days later I was done with the campaign and all I can say is that I regret choosing Rage over this.

Resistance 3 was, after a somewhat bad first few levels, one hell of a fun ride. Best SP I played this year alongside Crysis 2. Amazing set pieces that are among the best of this gen, great weapons (although too many perhaps; some feel useless) and the best thing of all is that you have to scavenge for health and that you can keep all the weapons. The lack of auto health restore kept the shootouts tense while the weapons let me decide how to tackle an enemy wave and change it on the fly. Its ridiculous that so many present day shooters omit these two things because they actually add so much to the experience.

The graphics aren't shit. The game has its own distinct style and them graphics managed to impress me here and there. Dark areas are impressive, and genuinely scary.

Thrakier

Judging from the demo it's ok, not KZ3 good but ok. Be aware though that they skewed the perspective and you only see half of the weapon model. It seems to be a bit weird. Just look up some videos to check if it actually bothers you.

People in doubt should really consider trying this game and not wave it away because of its supposed ugliness. I was in doubt too, and skipped it because I wanted Rage. Resistance dropped to 25 euros at MediaMarkt recently and I decided to give it a shot. 3 days later I was done with the campaign and all I can say is that I regret choosing Rage over this.

Resistance 3 was, after a somewhat bad first few levels, one hell of a fun ride. Best SP I played this year alongside Crysis 2. Amazing set pieces that are among the best of this gen, great weapons (although too many perhaps; some feel useless) and the best thing of all is that you have to scavenge for health and that you can keep all the weapons. The lack of auto health restore kept the shootouts tense while the weapons let me decide how to tackle an enemy wave and change it on the fly. Its ridiculous that so many present day shooters omit these two things because they actually add so much to the experience.

The graphics aren't shit. The game has its own distinct style and them graphics managed to impress me here and there. Dark areas are impressive, and genuinely scary.

Crysis 2 was shitty and gerenic as hell...

Noticed today that the maps I complained about (the ones that were missing) are available on DM Small... which no-one plays. Ever. So I guess that's that.

Tried Motorpool on a private game and it is way better map than Prison etc. Considering that is just a scene from SP that's pretty good.

I also never get Terraformer anymore, I wonder why :|

MrPliskin

Banned
Noticed today that the maps I complained about (the ones that were missing) are available on DM Small... which no-one plays. Ever. So I guess that's that.

Tried Motorpool on a private game and it is way better map than Prison etc. Considering that is just a scene from SP that's pretty good.

We should set up some GAF games at a specific time, and get some private games going (with no turrets). I'll make some room on my friends list, invite a few people, and hopefully we can all get something set up. This game is far more enjoyable when you're not playing with randoms spamming things.

MrPliskin

Banned
That's exactly how I feel about the game and it's pretty reasonable. For detailed impressions read my post in the Crysis 2 OT.

I'm just poking fun man. I feel the Crysis franchise is also fairly "generic" in that it doesn't have much of an identity or any interesting lore behind it. The game play itself is rather fun, though the first was leagues better due to the "open ended" nature of it.

Thrakier

I'm just poking fun man. I feel the Crysis franchise is also fairly "generic" in that it doesn't have much of an identity or any interesting lore behind it. The game play itself is rather fun, though the first was leagues better due to the "open ended" nature of it.

The first 30 minutes of Crysis 1 are more entertaining than the whole of Crysis 2. It's not that it's bad...it's just so forgettable. Whatever, wrong topic.

patsu

I get Terraformer once every few games.

For anyone on the fence, Resistance 3 is one of the best FPSes I've played all year and my favorite FPS on PS3, hands down. I thought Resistance 1 was lame and never bothered playing my copy of Resistance 2, for reference.

But R3 is great, and I say that as someone who has a delicious penis gaming palette.

Picked it up on black Friday. Hopefully get to play tonight. I have enjoyed the Resistance franchise and from what I've seen this shouldn't disappoint.

patsu

Hey, how many people play this on a daily basis? Are their any numbers anywhere for it? I haven't played it in a couple weeks for the simple fact that there was no challange. I mean, playing TDM and winning almost every match and it not even being close 3/4 isn't that much fun. Most of the classic Resistance clans just didn't stick around and/or together outside of [501] ; )_~~

Hah, try playing alone against B&T.

witness

Thinking about grabbing this since its $30 still on amazon, I was one of the very few that liked R2 as much as R1 (I was absolutely addicted to Co Op). The rumor of Co Op only DLC has me itching......

Top Bottom