• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Loudninja

nofi said:
Final game looks way better than the beta/preview code.

Gorgeous.
Really? damn this is what you said with the preview code

I had great fun with Resistance 3. It’s not the best looking game on the platform by some distance but the often simple scenery and low-res textures mean the game can shove around plenty of Chimera and lots of destruction whilst keeping the frame rate nice and smooth, and that’s much more important to me than a display so full of post processing the and fancy effects action drags to a halt constantly. The sound was a little buggy in this build: the guns sounded amazing but the lip syncing was way off – we’re assured that’ll all be fixed in due course.

So it looks better and still have all those effects. hmm!

amar212

nofi said:
Final game looks way better than the beta/preview code.

Gorgeous.

I am still amazed by graphics, effects, real-time lightning, particles, depth-of-field, characters and overall design approach.

Hell, overall design IS my favorite part of the experience. Instead of going "bigger is better" and gearing towards Hollywood spectacle of explosions, highscraper-sized monsters, etc, everything has been toned down in order to make it more realistic, believable and immersive.

Everything is much more *private*, *subjective* and *isolated*. Atmosphere of horror, desolation, country ripper apart by war, crazy twists and protagonists - everything is made so *human* and so *against all odds*.

I am gearing for the first co-op playthrough as soon as official servers are up, I hope tomorrow.

thuway

amar212 said:
I am still amazed by graphics, effects, real-time lightning, particles, depth-of-field, characters and overall design approach.

Hell, overall design IS my favorite part of the experience. Instead of going "bigger is better" and gearing towards Hollywood spectacle of explosions, highscraper-sized monsters, etc, everything has been toned down in order to make it more realistic, believable and immersive.

Everything is much more *private*, *subjective* and *isolated*. Atmosphere of horror, desolation, country ripper apart by war, crazy twists and protagonists - everything is made so *human* and so *against all odds*.

I am gearing for the first co-op playthrough as soon as official servers are up, I hope tomorrow.
Can you take some direct feed screens Brother Amar :).

JB1981

Can you be more specific, Nofi, about why it looks better? The main issue with the demo/mo beta is the low resolution. Are you saying this was bumped up ?

darkwing

amar212 said:

The wait is going to kill me

Loudninja

amar212 said:

Why does nofi and amar always get me hype? damn.

Melchiah

amar212 said:

Do the visuals differ from the SP demo? I was pretty underwhelmed by it. I always liked the cleaner, jaggie-free, look of RFoM.

thuway

amar212 said:

So would you say it looks better than the Preview Code or the videos we've been seeing buzzing around the internet?

Jstevenson can you confirm SP graphics are a bump better than whats been shown previously? The boat level disappointed me tremendously.

The boat level for me was probs the low point of the game but... I did appreciate it for the atmosphere it created. I think it supports the game well. You'll understand once you play it...
Its also a short sequence, so not a deal breaker!

The discussion regarding visuals - I'd say it's on a level with Sony recent releases. Uncharted / KZ / Infamous. I think they've all looked great in their own unique ways and this is no different. I certainly was not disappointed; it looks awesome.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
ConradCervantes said:
Atmosphere is very reminiscent of RFoM.

That's very good to hear.

To whoever owns it on here and finishes the SP campaign a completion time would be nice, I'm hoping for around 8 hours.

Ashes

Banned
lowrider007 said:
That's very good to hear.

To whoever owns it on here and finishes the SP campaign a completion time would be nice, I'm hoping for around 8 hours.

How long did it take you to finish r1 and r2?

lowrider007

Ashes1396 said:
How long did it take you to finish r1 and r2?

I think about 12 hours for RFoM, and around 10 for Resistance 2, normally I add an hour or two to gaf's average completion time as I'm not the most skilled player.

Ashes

Banned
lowrider007 said:
I think about 12 hours for RFoM, and around 10 for Resistance 2, normally I add an hour or two to gaf's average completion time as I'm not the most skilled player.

Same here, so I was kinda surprised you went with a low ball park figure. If it's like the last two, then I'll be alright. Completion time is arbitrary though at the end of the day.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
betty swollocks said:
The boat level for me was probs the low point of the game but... I did appreciate it for the atmosphere it created. I think it supports the game well. You'll understand once you play it...
Its also a short sequence, so not a deal breaker!

I made it up to this level today before switching it off for the evening (Going to give it a good play through over the weekend) so I haven't seen anything of it yet.

I've never played FoM but I did play a bit of R2 when I scored it last year for cheap. Man, glad it was cheap, game is rubbish. Just felt like, ummm, I dunno, a really old game. Sort of like when I played AvP last year, just felt archaic.

R3 on the other hand, massive improvement on the 2nd game. Gun feel great, graphics have a gritty feel about them but fits well and the battles so far have been enjoyable. Wonder what FoM will feel like about 4 years if I go back to that for the first time.

lowrider007

Ashes1396 said:
Same here, so I was kinda surprised you went with a low ball park figure. If it's like the last two, then I'll be alright. Completion time is arbitrary though at the end of the day.

I guess I meant to say at least 8 hours, but I'm also aware that FPS's seem to be getting considerably shorter these days so around 8 is ok in that respect, especially if it's a gaf 8.

My prediction is RFoM > R2 > R3 in terms of length which would fit with the trend.

Ashes

Banned
lowrider007 said:
I guess I meant to say at least 8 hours, but I'm also aware that FPS's seem to be getting considerably shorter these days so around 8 is ok in that respect, especially if it's a gaf 8.

My prediction is RFoM > R2 > R3 in terms of length which would fit with the trend.

Hadn't thought of it like that. Good point.

nofi

JB1981 said:
Can you be more specific, Nofi, about why it looks better? The main issue with the demo/mo beta is the low resolution. Are you saying this was bumped up ?

Not sure, only played it for an hour or so last night and didn't fire up the earlier build to check, but it seems to me like the blacks are much richer (I did do some tweaks on the TV, mind) and there's better contrast.

Resolution? Not sure. But for some reason I don't remember all the effects being as impressive a few months back - the explosions, the particles, the motion blur.

Damn, it's lovely now.

Gustav

Banned
amar212 said:

Damn you! Just preordered.

My memory is a bit hazy as I haven't played it in some time but didn't Resistance 2 end with hints of a
third faction
being thrown into the mix? I was under the impression it did but I could be mistaken.

amar212 said:

That sounds awesome!!!

and ofcourse the SP will look much better than the online beta..................

Ashes

Banned
Drewfonse said:
Yeah, I'm hoping for 10 hours with high replay value. New Game Plus FTW

I was thinking the other day, how a dev could give the frame rate a boost with less effects on screen or something, to help with speed runs etc. Only on new game plus or something.

Loudninja

Hero of Canton said:
I'd say it took me around 9 hours. Depends on the difficulty and how skilled you are, obviously, but that's the ballpark.
Thats good length for me, did you collect all the lintel?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
amar212 said:

Holy shit. This sounds like what I've been hoping for Resistance to do since the beginning. It sounds perfect.

darkwing

found some tidbits on R3 , if it hasn't been posted yet

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ve-things-you-didnt-know-about-resistance-3/1

1. Cormac McCarthy's The Road was a major influence on thinking about what the world would be like and what the motivations of a husband and father would be in a world with little or no hope. We watched a lot of movies that dealt with post-apocalyptic worlds -- everything from The Road Warrior to Children of Men, and also watched movies that juxtaposed our world with other-worldly creatures like the Jurassic Park movies and King Kong.

For specific levels, we'd sometimes compile pictures and movie clips that, while not necessarily literally showing what we wanted to do, would at least give an idea of the player experience and feel that we were wanting to convey. Lisa Brown, the designer of our Boat level did a great job of this, and also wrote a great article about the movie she put together and the benefits it had for the team.

2. We're really excited by all the improvements we've made to weapons from previous games, like the Bullseye, one of the Resistance franchise's most iconic weapons. The weapon model has been rebuilt from the ground up with a lot more detail, the weapon animations make the gun feel a lot more weighted and grounded, and the sound effects are reworked to make the gun sound more powerful. We've also added a holographic iron-sight that's alien in appearance to emphasize that it's a Chimeran weapon, and added new effects like a laser-tether that attaches to enemies that you've tagged with the secondary fire, which helps players understand how the gun works as well as just providing more juicy-feedback to using the gun.

3. We discussed whether or not (Nathan) Hale was really dead for about four to six weeks at the start of development. There was talk about bringing him back as a half-Chimeran super-powered character, possibly as a playable character, a friendly NPC (non-playable character), or even as an enemy. Ultimately, we agreed it felt a little bit B-movie to bring him back and moved on.

4. For players who haven't read the first Resistance novel, The Gathering Storm, Joe Capelli's wife, Susan, is Nathan Hale's sister. We discussed having Susan be the cooperative character but ultimately couldn't justify the concept of both the mother and father abandoning their child to go on a mission to NYC. It took us quite awhile to nail down the age of Joe's son, Jack. We talked about everything from whether he should be old enough to speak or if he would be old enough to fight.

5. Each of the guns in Resistance 3 has two upgrades that players can earn. Originally, we were going to have 5-10 smaller upgrades for each gun that were just small, stats-based changes, such as larger clip size, slightly higher accuracy, etc. -- but these were quickly called out internally for "not being Insomniac enough." We agreed and redesigned the upgrades to make each one very unique and a significant augmentation and enhancement to the functionality of the gun that was being upgraded.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
amar212 said:
That's the kind of thing I was getting from all the SP footage of the game, so I'm glad to read it's what the game really is like. I'm buying R3 day one even though I had zero interest in R2, and thought R1 was only "OK".

Looking at R3, I get a mixture of HL2, RE4, and maybe even Halo aesthetic and overtones. It just makes me wonder where the series would be now if they took this road from the beginning instead of finally getting to it now.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Three sort of is. Very, very glad they're
not bringing Hale back
. Although if the simply awful prequel novel is any guide
Capelli is going to hear Hale's voice in his head - lot of laughing for some reason

Ashes

Banned
Fixed. No probs.

Someone already mentioned about
length of credits lol
... which arguably is a spoiler. Or he is just messing with us.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Loudninja said:
Already confirmed millions of times by IG nothing new ;)
Yeah, I think it would be pretty lame if they actually did that.
Would have made R2's ending and the switch to Capelli pointless.

Ashes

Banned
luxarific said:
Three sort of is. Very, very glad they're
not bringing Hale back
. Although if the simply awful prequel novel is any guide
Capelli is going to hear Hale's voice in his head - lot of laughing for some reason
Oh shit possibly real spoiler! My own fault my man. You did everything right!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ashes1396 said:
Fixed. No probs.

Someone already mentioned about
length of credits lol
... which arguably is a spoiler. Or he is just messing with us.
Is it as ungodly long as R2's was? They were 20 minutes and the music cut out partway through.

Number45

Loudninja said:
Already confirmed millions of times by IG nothing new ;)
I've played the first two so I'm aware of what happened at the end of two, but had no idea that
he wasn't going to come back in some capacity
. :'(

Top Bottom