• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Loudninja

As we lead up to Resistance 3’s launch this Tuesday, we wanted to start your holiday weekend right with the two television commercials you will be seeing for Resistance 3 over the next few weeks. These commercials will be airing during NFL games and my personal favorite, college football, as well as series premieres of some of the biggest shows on TV.

Why two commercials, you ask? Well, we have two great approaches for Resistance 3. One involves the story of Joseph Capelli’s journey. In some ways this ties us back to the very first live-action prologue trailer that showed us the first glimpse of Resistance 3’s grim new world. Here you get a glimpse of the emotions and story that make up our game. We really feel like this ad wonderfully captures and encapsulates Resistance 3
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/09/02/when-resistance-3-met-kevin-butler/

Hopefully that KB commercial isn't the final R3 commercial. There was barely any gameplay in that commercial to sell the game.
Edit:
Wow, just saw the second commercial. I like :)

NHale

They have the other commercial to sell the game (and btw it's a great ad despite the abrupt change to the "We fight or we die" part). The Kevin Butler is to sell the Sharpshooter bundle.

Kevin Butler is funny most of the time and his ads are great to "sell the system" but they don't work as well to "sell games". I'm surprised that Sony finally realized they need "no KB" ads to market games.

madmook

Hey JS, I've pre-ordered the Playstation 3D 24" display from Amazon, and Sony is offering R3 as a pre-order bonus. Do you guys at Insomniac know anything about a solid release date for the display? As of now there doesn't seem to be any concrete date.

Ricky_R

That Radio TV spot is great, but I can't help thinking that it needed some kind of ending sound along with the "we fight or we die"...

It feels weird because the "we fight or we die" is kinda loud and there's no sound building towards the end to combine it with the phrase.

Just an observation... The trailer is awesome though.

amar212

jstevenson said:
I know it will on difficult, I was just at home playing through St Louis and at one point I was out of Atomizer, out of Shotgun, out of Magnum, out of Auger shields, and out of marksman and I was fighting a brawler. No bueno (but fun!)

I had some time today and decided to start new game (+) on Superhuman.

Ok guys, what were you thinking? :D I will not stop until I finish it like this, it is 100% different game now. Playing hide&seek, constant lurking for green canisters and avoiding every bullet imaginable.

It is a blast, can't even imagine how it will look like later. Whole strategy have to be changed and I can understand how some design choices in various placements were made for Superhuman especially.

Great job..

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Damn, I really shouldn't have watched those commercials. I had to cancel my pre-order due to a funds shortage this month (too many games coming out + real world responsibility = Resistance 3 had to be cut out).

I should be able to pick it up in two weeks. I'm still playing through Deus Ex anyway. Sorry, Insomniac! I'll buy it next pay check!

patsu

NHale said:
They have the other commercial to sell the game (and btw it's a great ad despite the abrupt change to the "We fight or we die" part). The Kevin Butler is to sell the Sharpshooter bundle.

Kevin Butler is funny most of the time and his ads are great to "sell the system" but they don't work as well to "sell games". I'm surprised that Sony finally realized they need "no KB" ads to market games.

I approve "no KB ads" to sell games that are atmospheric. That VP of rah-rah will take away all the mojo.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Figboy79 said:
Damn, I really shouldn't have watched those commercials. I had to cancel my pre-order due to a funds shortage this month (too many games coming out + real world responsibility = Resistance 3 had to be cut out).

I should be able to pick it up in two weeks. I'm still playing through Deus Ex anyway. Sorry, Insomniac! I'll buy it next pay check!

/cry

dralla

im disappointed that there's no proximity mine type weapon. i always like to use them, i really like the mine launcher in dead space 2. the sapper in R1 was a cool idea, would've like to see sapper 2.0. i know its unlikely, but maybe weapons as DLC? Hailstorm and the Bouncer from Ratchet please

Zoibie

dralla said:
im disappointed that there's no proximity mine type weapon. i always like to use them, i really like the mine launcher in dead space 2. the sapper in R1 was a cool idea, would've like to see sapper 2.0. i know its unlikely, but maybe weapons as DLC? Hailstorm and the Bouncer from Ratchet please

The hedgehog grenade will only explode if there's someone close to it.

dralla

i know but you can only hold so many grenades. i really like 'defensive' weapons that are proximity tripped, its fun to barricade yourself from enemies. i was thinking maybe shoot the magnum in the ground and use the secondary fire as a C4 equivalent.

patsu

dralla said:
i know but you can only hold so many grenades. i really like 'defensive' weapons that are proximity tripped, its fun to barricade yourself from enemies. i was thinking maybe shoot the magnum in the ground and use the secondary fire as a C4 equivalent.

Too many or spamming defensive weapon will topple the game balance. 8^(

Besides, you can also deploy secondary abilities like turret for defense. That's on top of the Hedgehog.

Loudninja

dralla said:
Than use this!
Grenadier: Increases grenade capacity and amount of grenade types the player can carry.

I think you can use the magnun like that.

dralla

I guess I should've clarified that I was talking about the single player. I actually hate proximity weapons in multiplayer games [manly because they are usually impossible to see, the sapper in R1 was OK because they were giant cantaloupes] . have they shown the moltov? does that cover the ground with fire? maybe that could work too

Loudninja

dralla said:
I guess I should've clarified that I was talking about the single player. I actually hate proximity weapons in multiplayer games. have they shown the moltov? does that cover the ground with fire? maybe that could work too
Ohh sorry about that, well you have those mines, and that turret from the Marksman.

noonche

dralla said:
I guess I should've clarified that I was talking about the single player. I actually hate proximity weapons in multiplayer games [manly because they are usually impossible to see, the sapper in R1 was OK because they were giant cantaloupes] . have they shown the moltov? does that cover the ground with fire? maybe that could work too

The mutator makes proximity mines for you. :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow that is a great commercial. But I don't get it.

If I can get to the tower, I will try and destroy it...tell my wife I love her? Does that mean he has to die to destroy the tower? I felt like there was a line missing. Like, "If I don't make it" or something.

If destroying the tower will destroy the chimera, why isn't london safe?

the rain looks sweet.

test_account

XP-39C²
I got confirmation that my Resistance copies were sent today. With some luck i might have the games already on Monday, 3 days before (european) release :D

Loudninja

RoboPlato said:
Do we know if it actually replaces molotovs? Thay's what I heard and I'll just give away my code if that's true.
Yep.

+ James Stevenson on May 26th, 2011 at 10:28 am said:

The Air Fuel Grenade was replaced by a new grenade in R3.

When we were discussing pre-order bonuses, we thought it might be cool to offer the Air Fuel Grenade for campaign as a bonus. It essentially replaces some of the regular grenade pick-ups in the game.

Simply put, without the pre-order bonus, there would be no Air Fuel Grenade at all in R3.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...bonuses-hale-returns-srpa-black-ops-and-more/

test_account

XP-39C²
Y2Kev said:
Wow that is a great commercial. But I don't get it.

If I can get to the tower, I will try and destroy it...tell my wife I love her? Does that mean he has to die to destroy the tower? I felt like there was a line missing. Like, "If I don't make it" or something.

If destroying the tower will destroy the chimera, why isn't london safe?

the rain looks sweet.
It seems more that he leaves a recorded message to be found in case he doesnt make it. He says "this message is for my wife. I'd tried my best (or "i'll try my best")", not "tell my wife (hello ;))".

Moss

patsu said:
You can't talk or write about it, but can you draw your impressions of the game ?

6106752839_8cbe2d7cc2_z.jpg

whelp... I took the plunge and pre-ordered.

Loved R:FOM, really disliked R2.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed- but early impressions have been great.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
test_account said:
It seems more that he leaves a recorded message to be found in case he doesnt make it. He says "this message is for my wife. I'd tried my best (or "i'll try my best")", not "tell my wife (hello ;))".
That's why it is missing a line! I think :\

Top Bottom