• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

How does R3 handle matchmaking? I'm assuming/hoping there's some sort of competent location filter in place; gaming in Australia sure can suck, but for a title as huge as this, there shouldn't be any problems.

And it's run on servers, right?

Thanks, mengs.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
dralla said:
fuuuuck. i was 27-1 and got disconnected, i wanted to see dem medals :[

im looking in the medals now and see none for the magnum, is it not in multi? i really wanted to see that and the ice in there? i see the ice medal but no magnum. mag + gunslinger perk :[]
One of the older MP videos showed it so I assume it's in.

KingK

Question
Will this game have split-screen online multiplayer like Resistance 2/Uncharted 3 have? And I'm assuming the campaign co-op is split screen or online, correct?

.la1n

Stevenson & GAF, as a huge fan of the first Resistance and avid hater of the second (though it had a few shining moments) I would like to say that the the first three hours of the SP campaign have been an absolute blast and it is nigh impossible to put down. The graphics, level layouts, weapons, voice acting, story are all bringing back memories of first getting a PS3 and having Resistance as my only game to play. Not only is it bringing those memories back but jacking that experience up ten fold. More impressions to come it's time for sleep, work at 5am EST.

Game is running buttery smooth, graphics are leaps and bounds above anything else Insomniac has done. Screens / Videos have not done the game full justice. You really need to see it in motion and pay attention to the small details throughout the levels, definite wow moments everywhere. I guess all I want to say before I sleep is THANKS INSOMNIAC! You did not let me down :)

edit: I am playing controller only, I will try to get some move playtime in to see how it goes and post some impressions tomorrow hopefully.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
dralla said:
gunslinger + bullseye is like R1 type shit. circle strafe of death
Yep. It's so awesome. That with a Rossmore as backup and I was golden. I can't wait until I get that combo back in the full game.

.la1n said:
Stevenson & GAF, as a huge fan of the first Resistance and avid hater of the second (though it had a few shining moments) I would like to say that the the first three hours of the SP campaign have been an absolute blast and it is nigh impossible to put down. The graphics, level layouts, weapons, voice acting, story are all bringing back memories of first getting a PS3 and having Resistance as my only game to play. Not only is it bringing those memories back but jacking that experience up ten fold. More impressions to come it's time for sleep, work at 5am EST.

Game is running buttery smooth, graphics are leaps and bounds above anything else Insomniac has done. Screens / Videos have not done the game full justice. You really need to see it in motion and pay attention to the small details throughout the levels, definite wow moments everywhere. I guess all I want to say before I sleep is THANK INSOMNIAC! You did not let me down :)
I need this right now.

I always hate when people get games I want so bad so early.

I am filled with rage.

That said, I hope R3 answers some of those questions that have been nagging at me since the first Resistance, like... where the hell did the Chimera come from? Seriously, I need to know something concrete. Also, I wonder if the Cloven will make an appearance.

jstevenson said:
*THE MORE YOU KNOW.

Kind of sad I didn't know that, I was with a brew company for 12 years. I heard the term a ton but I didn't actually brew so it never came up. I just trained people, made cheesecake and drank.

edit:Yeah I am dyiing to unlock Gunslinger. When I visited IG games, I played with a QA tester who told me to use it when I got the chance because 'for some reason you don't ever use the ironsight' :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BobTheFork said:
edit:Yeah I am dyiing to unlock Gunslinger. When I visited IG games, I played with a QA tester who told me to use it when I got the chance because 'for some reason you don't ever use the ironsight' :p
It's been so weird playing again since the last stat reset. It feels wrong using iron sights after getting so used to hipfiring all the time.

Up to Chapter 8. Fucking weapon wheel has saved my life on many an occasion.

James, give my personal best to your co-workers. Tremendously fun game so far.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ConradCervantes said:

At this point, how do you feel comparing it to the other games? Is it better than the other two by chapter 8?

Why does this have to come out THE DAY AFTER a 3-day weekend. =(

For those of you who aren't American, Monday is Labor Day here.

RatskyWatsky said:
At this point, how do you feel comparing it to the other games? Is it better than the other two by chapter 8?

Just having that classic R:FoM feel alone makes it better than Resistance 2. Traversing dark corridors with Chimera moaning out of sight is quite creepy, and being able to utilize the weapon wheel makes combat so much more fun.

I'd say it's on par with R:FoM, with the graphical bump edging it forward. The particle effects alone are amazing.

ConradCervantes said:
I'd say it's on par with R:FoM, with the graphical bump edging it forward. The particle effects alone are amazing.

Please tell me it's enough to shut up the "But it's SUB HD!!" crowd!

Liking that it has a R1 atmosphere!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ConradCervantes said:
Just having that classic R:FoM feel alone makes it better than Resistance 2. Traversing dark corridors with Chimera moaning out of sight is quite creepy, and being able to utilize the weapon wheel makes combat so much more fun.

Great. And how's the polish on the levels? Do some levels look drastically better than others, or are they all about on the same level?

shwimpy

DIrtyWeasel said:

Totally forgot about Labor Day... ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'll have to wait an extra day to get this in the mail. =/

.la1n said:

Game is running buttery smooth, graphics are leaps and bounds above anything else Insomniac has done. Screens / Videos have not done the game full justice. You really need to see it in motion and pay attention to the small details throughout the levels, definite wow moments everywhere. I guess all I want to say before I sleep is THANKS INSOMNIAC! You did not let me down :)

edit: I am playing controller only, I will try to get some move playtime in to see how it goes and post some impressions tomorrow hopefully.
Oh god I need this.

WolfForager said:
Please tell me it's enough to shut up the "But it's SUB HD!!" crowd!

Liking that it has a R1 atmosphere!

There are some shitty textures here and there unfortunately, so the bloodshed will continue, but they're only really noticeable when you're knocked down on the ground. Otherwise it's quite a looker as far as bombed-out cities and flooded streets go.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
DIrtyWeasel said:

wanted it out a week earlier - but that doesn't work as well for Europe due to August Holiday

Glad to hear the impressions the franchise went back to the more R1/Half-life inspired mood and mode then the R2 detour that I really didn't enjoy at all.

I'm very very bored right now because I'm done hunting every possible trophy out of my games.... done replaying the games I haven't touched in years.... done replaying my Favorite old PS1 games.............. and I'm DESPERATELY in need for this to come out :-(

This is going to be a very long 5 days ;_;

Is it my connection or is everyone on the beta glitching? They are flying everywhere and transporting between buildings and lots of stuff! Its really fucked up

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WOW! I need this game ASAP

patsu

ConradCervantes said:

James, give my personal best to your co-workers. Tremendously fun game so far.

Dear lord, why oh why did I open this thread. Stop it !

Kambing

Meh, i have been so busy that i have no time for the MP =(

I really hope Amazon ships Resistance 3 a couple of days earlier(no chance in hell). The positive impressions make the wait harder but at the same time is reassuring to hear =P

Even though i had played the beta somewhat religiously, i was still undecided on whether or not to purchase till some impressions started rolling in. The fact that Resistance 3 seems to be returning to form has broken my hype meter -_-

njean777

Played the beta today, I gave it my one match preview and I have to say I like it so far. Definitely a little slower then COD but I enjoyed it. Really can not wait till Tuesday.

Played couple of rounds of the MP demo for the first time and had a blast. Hopefully there's a similar clan system going in this as there was with R2, it was great... my only nitpick is that the transition from dying to "killcam" (well, showing the enemy that killed you) causes this weird lagpike/framedrop and the cam is kinda buggy too (clipping to walls, ground, objects and other enemies).

Pikma

Banned
KingK said:
Question
Will this game have split-screen online multiplayer like Resistance 2/Uncharted 3 have? And I'm assuming the campaign co-op is split screen or online, correct?

Yes, and yes. I think the beta already has split-screen online MP, haven't tried it though.

T-0800

.la1n said:

We know it's you, James. Nice try though.

Jokes. Can't wait.

Thrakier

.la1n said:

So, GFX are really much better than in the beta? Sounds promising. BTW, I played the beta again yesterday and thought it looked better than before. Maybe because of the reduced blur, I don't know. It was "ok", though 720p would do wonders for the image quality. I'd just like to know if there is an option to play with move from the DSIII perspective instead of this weird perspective in the corner...

Ok, after my experience with the Beta and the final list of abilities and perks that was posted, I think I have more or less my custom loadouts:

Shooter
Spotter
Doppelganger
Gunslinger
Air-cooled Barrel

Assault
Heal Beacon
Dash
Leaper Corpse
Strapped

Tactician
Radar Beacon
Turret
Tactician
Team Player

Support
Bobble Shield
Thermal Vision
Body-armor
Berserker

Infiltrator
Radar Decoy
Assassin
Tracker
Scan Jammer

EDIT About the Move playthrough, of course I'll play the first time with Move and Hard difficulty. It's the same as KZ3, probably it'll at first kind of frustrating, but it's the better way to get a hold of Move and tune the settings in order to be ready for the MP.

gibration

Loudninja said:
Loving all the impressions, hmm cant wait!
I am dying to see the rest of the mp maps! How many have been revealed so far, 4? Is it out of 10 exact or 10+? I don't remember how many JS said there would be.

Loudninja

gibration said:
I am dying to see the rest of the mp maps! How many have been revealed so far, 4? Is it out of 10 exact or 10+? I don't remember how many JS said there would be.
There are a total of 12 maps, some are 2v2 and 4v4 maps. :)

darkwing

Vasilisk said:
Ok, after my experience with the Beta and the final list of abilities and perks that was posted, I think I have more or less my custom loadouts:

Shooter
Spotter
Doppelganger
Gunslinger
Air-cooled Barrel

Assault
Heal Beacon
Dash
Leaper Corpse
Strapped

Tactician
Radar Beacon
Turret
Tactician
Team Player

Support
Bobble Shield
Thermal Vision
Body-armor
Berserker

Infiltrator
Radar Decoy
Assassin
Tracker
Scan Jammer

EDIT About the Move playthrough, of course I'll play the first time with Move and Hard difficulty. It's the same as KZ3, probably it'll at first kind of frustrating, but it's the better way to get a hold of Move and tune the settings in order to be ready for the MP.
very nice, the skills fit the roles, now if we could have custom killstreaks too haha

Shtof

Meisadragon said:
So are you guys gonna play first with Move or DS3? I'll probably do a second playthrough with Move.
Move easily, if it's well implemented. If not, I don't want the game.

Loudninja

dralla said:
fuuuuck. i was 27-1 and got disconnected, i wanted to see dem medals :[

im looking in the medals now and see none for the magnum, is it not in multi? i really wanted to see that and the ice in there? i see the ice medal but no magnum. mag + gunslinger perk :[]
Yes its in, not in the beta but the final game.

Top Bottom