• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

patsu

Kintaro said:
So far, its only the first couple of chapters. Not too long. Just long enough for you to do "God damn they are dumb." lol

The AI should not be dumb. Otherwise, they wouldn't have overwhelmed you with bullets, and caused you problems. The friendly AI seem to hold up well since you complained that they were able to take cover from damage, even though their cover is better than yours. ^_^

The Chimeras can see through wall. It would be strange if they can't track you behind obstacles. Once you intrude their circle of awareness, they should take care of you first especially if you are closer to them than your AI friends.

Kintaro said:
So far, its only the first couple of chapters. Not too long. Just long enough for you to do "God damn they are dumb." lol

Honestly, I don't think I've played any game where the AI partners were particularly intelligent...they actually killed some enemies in Crysis 2 though, which was a bit of a shock

Erasus

Kintaro said:
Well, post processing or not. It looks...well, not crisp. Slightly blurry. Like just off enough to notice.

Perhaps inevitably, there is a trade-off in the implementation of all these new effects. In the Battle: Los Angeles playable demo, we see that native resolution has dropped significantly, down from the 1280x704 of Resistance 2 to a mere 960x704 - a 25 per cent drop - and nothing from the much more recent preview code suggests that this has changed, suggesting it's a lock.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-resistance-3

The resolution is so low, and then its being upscaled.

Why not just go back to 800x600, huh devs?

patsu

nelsonroyale said:
Honestly, I don't think I've played any game where the AI partners were particularly intelligent...they actually killed some enemies in Crysis 2 though, which was a bit of a shock

The Uncharted AI heroes (Elena, Sully, Chloe) are very good. Rico in KZ3 is also competent and helpful but those are AI heroes. ^_^

patsu

Erasus said:
Perhaps inevitably, there is a trade-off in the implementation of all these new effects. In the Battle: Los Angeles playable demo, we see that native resolution has dropped significantly, down from the 1280x704 of Resistance 2 to a mere 960x704 - a 25 per cent drop - and nothing from the much more recent preview code suggests that this has changed, suggesting it's a lock.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-resistance-3

The resolution is so low, and then its being upscaled.

Why not just go back to 800x600, huh devs?

Isn't 960x740 > 800x600 ?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
patsu said:
The AI should not be dumb. Otherwise, they wouldn't have overwhelmed you with bullets, and caused you problems. The friendly AI seem to hold up well since you complained that they were able to take cover from damage, even though their cover is better than yours. ^_^

The Chimeras can see through wall. It would be strange if they can't track you behind obstacles. Once you intrude their circle of awareness, they should take care of you first especially if you are closer to them than your AI friends.

See, the thing is, the entire place is their "circle of awareness" and they are only aware of YOU. The friendly AI does not hold up well at all. They don't draw fire at all and only take fire if you get around their cover. They will not move unless their routines tell them to (Chimera over here faze of an event, Chimera down here faze, etc). They don't move unless you kill everything or the next stage of a set piece tells them to.

They fire aimlessly like Stormtroopers and haven't killed one Chimera in my entire playthrough.

Sadly, I'm back to working with foolish AI once again...

At least the weapons are still fun. Got a couple of weapons powered up to level three.

Loudninja said:
It the same as every Resistance not seeing the big deal.As long as the chimira AI is good dont care what the other AI do.

The Chimera AI is...a bit odd. They don't really flank you unless an event stage tells them to. I have seen them stand right next to me and not fire or melee. I've also seen them get stuck in walls a time or two. lol

Overall, they're pretty good but I remember their AI being a real stand out in R1.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Kintaro said:

At least the weapons are still fun. Got a couple of weapons powered up to level three.

The Chimera AI is...a bit odd. They don't really flank you unless an event stage tells them to. I have seen them stand right next to me and not fire or melee. I've also seen them get stuck in walls a time or two. lol

Overall, they're pretty good but I remember their AI being a real stand out in R1.

Sounds like we're up to the same place from your posts I am reading. Just got up to the second batch of AI.

As for the Chimera AI, agree. Stood next to a couple who were facing somewhere else and didn't budge when I shot at them. Hopefully the AI improves based on the difficulty level (Like Halo CE).

Loudninja

Gen X said:
Sounds like we're up to the same place from your posts I am reading. Just got up to the second batch of AI.

As for the Chimera AI, agree. Stood next to a couple who were facing somewhere else and didn't budge when I shot at them. Hopefully the AI improves based on the difficulty level (Like Halo CE).
Yep it does.

amar212 said:
I had some time today and decided to start new game (+) on Superhuman.

Ok guys, what were you thinking? :D I will not stop until I finish it like this, it is 100% different game now. Playing hide&seek, constant lurking for green canisters and avoiding every bullet imaginable.

It is a blast, can't even imagine how it will look like later. Whole strategy have to be changed and I can understand how some design choices in various placements were made for Superhuman especially.

Great job..

patsu

Kintaro said:
See, the thing is, the entire place is their "circle of awareness" and they are only aware of YOU. The friendly AI does not hold up well at all. They don't draw fire at all and only take fire if you get around their cover. They will not move unless their routines tell them to (Chimera over here faze of an event, Chimera down here faze, etc). They don't move unless you kill everything or the next stage of a set piece tells them to.

They fire aimlessly like Stormtroopers and haven't killed one Chimera in my entire playthrough.

If the entire place is their circle of awareness, then why would they not shoot you when you're standing next to them ? ^_^

Once they are aware of you, they should continue to track you.

If the friendly AI can't kill a Chimera based on your observation, then why would the Chimera worry about them except you ?

If the friendly AI is calibrated to be weak, why would they run out and die for nothing ?

The only thing is the AI should not get stuck in walls, or does not react to you.

The RFOM AI is more fun in Hard difficulty. I remember playing on Normal first, and then getting surprised in Hard.

NBtoaster

RFOM they added new enemies in certain places on the harder difficulties. Do they do that here? I think R2 just ramped up the damage/reduced your health.

patsu

Someone mentioned that the AI has a job system. On higher difficulty, the jobs issued should be more varied and frequent (i.e., more than just damage/health adjustment as mentioned by Amar).

Would love to start on Hard. It sounds like Kintaro was overwhelmed in Normal even with a less aware AI. If they crank it up, the game may become too difficult.

Cranking up friendly AI would be another option, but need to know who these AI folks are (are they heroes ?)

Edit:
Found the mention of job system here:
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011...ev-diary-enemies-and-artificial-intelligence/

It also schedules the number of attackers and defenders.

Kintaro

Loudninja said:
Come on Kintaro no spoliers right now, the game isn't even out yet!

Um, I didn't spoil a thing besides what I marked under spoiler tags.

Anyways, just stopped for the night at chapter ten. I dunno how many chapters its supposed to have.

So far, weapons are fun. Rest isn't grabbing me.

*Spoiler tagged parts removed*

patsu said:
If the entire place is their circle of awareness, then why would they not shoot you when you're standing next to them ? ^_^

You're being silly now. If mobs appear and I'm in hiding while AI shoots at them, why do they shoot at ME first when they should be dealing with immediate threats?

Once they are aware of you, they should continue to track you.

Fine, but why me and ONLY me? That is nonsense.

If the friendly AI can't kill a Chimera based on your observation, then why would the Chimera worry about them except you ?

Then tell me; Why the hell even have the friendly AI to begin with? There is a reason, but its for set pieces. That's it.

If the friendly AI is calibrated to be weak, why would they run out and die for nothing ?

You're really defending stupid AI? Again, why even bother having them?

Loudninja

Kintaro said:
Um, I didn't spoil a thing besides what I marked under spoiler tags.

Anyways, just stopped for the night at chapter ten. I dunno how many chapters its supposed to have.

So far, weapons are fun. Rest isn't grabbing me.

Spoiler here for a weird part of the story. If you care about the storyline, don't highlight.

Joe is finally on his way to New York and...the dumbass has a dream about his family. He freaks out, asks to go back to wayyyy out of the way to check on them and promptly fucks things up. WTF? Yeah, you loon. Lets take a pit stop backward because you had a dream while a wormhole tears through the planet. Brilliant.

Hope that leads somewhere because...that was dumb.
There are 20 chapters.see the thing is if I quote you I can still see the spoilers ;/

Kintaro

Loudninja said:
There are 20 chapters.see the thing is if I quote you I can still see the spoilers ;/

Ah, well, don't quote. =)

I won't post anymore impressions. At the rate the game is going, I'll be finished with the SP tomorrow anyway.

As for the graphics and such? I'm a PC gamer so yeah, the visuals look...blurry to me. Yadda yadda. It's nowhere near the best on the system. B tier at best. Nice cutscenes but the humans are fugly. Soooooo not used to playing FPS on a controller either. Damn hands feel like claws now. =(

So, feel free to dismiss my thoughts on the visuals because I generally don't play too many FPS on the consoles anyway.

I think fans will probably like it for the most part. Weapons arr certainly fun. That's the best part of the game by far. No clue on MP, didn't play the beta. I hope its stable by tuesday. Good luck to Insomniac on the release.

NBtoaster

Kintaro said:

I won't post anymore impressions. At the rate the game is going, I'll be finished with the SP tomorrow anyway.

As for the graphics and such? I'm a PC gamer so yeah, the visuals look...blurry to me. Yadda yadda. It's nowhere near the best on the system. B tier at best. Nice cutscenes but the humans are fugly. Soooooo not used to playing FPS on a controller either. Damn hands feel like claws now. =(

So, feel free to dismiss my thoughts on the visuals because I generally don't play too many FPS on the consoles anyway.

I think fans will probably like it for the most part. Weapons arr certainly fun. That's the best part of the game by far. No clue on MP, didn't play the beta. I hope its stable by tuesday. Good luck to Insomniac on the release.

Just to get an idea of your tastes, what did you think of Killzone 2 and 3, and Crysis 2?(if you've played them)

Loudninja

Kintaro said:

Thanks for you honest impressions no one should dismiss anything, but please dont post any more spoliers ok!??!? ;)

Kintaro

NBtoaster said:
Just to get an idea of your tastes, what did you think of Killzone 2 and 3, and Crysis 2?(if you've played them)

Honestly, I didn't play too much of KZ2-3. I recall the weapons having a good weight to them, but I didn't bother too much with them. Are they pretty good?

Crysis 2 I have on PC. I enjoy it for what it is. Its a pretty capable shooter and looks good with all the DX11 goodies on my rig. I liked Crysis 1 more overall though.

I enjoyed Resistance 1 quite a bit at launch. I found Battlefield: Bad Company 1-2 pretty fun SP experiences. Not great, but fun and humorous. Haven't played any Halo games past one or CoD's past 4 (played 1-4 and got tired of the same mechanics).

Does this help?

Loudninja said:
Thanks for you honest impressions no one should dismiss anything, but please dont post any more spoliers ok!??!? ;)

Okay. I'll remove them just in case anyway.

Spoilers removed.

I'll finish the game tomorrow and post some impressions like a week after release.

NBtoaster

Kintaro said:
Honestly, I didn't play too much of KZ2-3. I recall the weapons having a good weight to them, but I didn't bother too much with them. Are they pretty good?

Crysis 2 I have on PC. I enjoy it for what it is. Its a pretty capable shooter and looks good with all the DX11 goodies on my rig. I liked Crysis 1 more overall though.

I enjoyed Resistance 1 quite a bit at launch. I found Battlefield: Bad Company 1-2 pretty fun SP experiences. Not great, but fun and humorous. Haven't played any Halo games past one or CoD's past 4 (played 1-4 and got tired of the same mechanics).

Does this help?

Yeah, thanks. I seem to have roughly similar tastes then.

Man said:
Resolution is a trainwreck sounds like.

I wonder what tvs people play on, console gamers should really be playing on moderately sized 720p tvs so the games look the best and mitigate any resolution deficiencies.

BeeDog

Since I utterly hated the SP campaigns of both Bad Company 1 and 2, I'll take your impressions with a small grain of salt ;), but yeah, people should not feel discouraged about posting honest opinions.

Now I can't wait for my own copy to arrive next week.

patsu

Phew, have to copy the relevant parts.

Kintaro said:
You're being silly now. If mobs appear and I'm in hiding while AI shoots at them, why do they shoot at ME first when they should be dealing with immediate threats?

I am questioning your assumptions since I have not played the game. After all, AI is a complex system.

e.g., Are the mobs hiding as well, or are they charging towards the Chimeras in the open ?

Fine, but why me and ONLY me? That is nonsense.

...because you are the hero ? And from your own account, the others can't kill a Chimera. It's not the first time they fought with human. OTOH, Capelli is not normal.

Then tell me why even have friendly AI

... because of story needs ?

You're really defending stupid AI? Again, why even bother having them?

I am actually questioning your conclusion. ^_^
The friendly AI sounds logical to me, it implies that the characters are weak but not stupid.

But there seems to be a bug in the enemy AI path finding. And the enemy AI seems calibrated. e.g., prevented by the job system to "go to work". Or perhaps another bug.

Kintaro

NBtoaster said:
I wonder what tvs people play on, console gamers should really be playing on moderately sized 720p tvs so the games look the best and mitigate any resolution deficiencies.

I forgot the model number of my Vizio but its 47" 1080p 120Hz. I'll be damned if I give up my 1080p Blu Ray goodness. =)

patsu said:
Phew, have to copy the relevant parts.

I edited out spoilers.

e.g., Are the mobs hiding as well, or are they charging towards the Chimeras in the open ?

The Chimera are not taking cover. I forget the names, forgive me, but some jump/fly around, some just weave back and forth in the open, some charge straight ahead. I'd seen some use of cover here and there, but nothing on the level of Halo that makes me say "Wow, these guys are smart."

...because you are the hero ? And from your own account, the others can't kill a Chimera. It's not the first time they fought with human. OTOH, Capelli is not normal.

As a player, it is a distraction to have friendly AI that is useless. I see them hitting nothing and nothing shooting at them. All attention is on me, the player and these guys do me no favors. It's silly and I will not be surprised to see it mentioned in a lot of reviews.

... because of story needs ?

They exist to do one of two things. Helping you in he battlefield is not one of them.

I am actually questioning your conclusion. ^_^
The friendly AI sounds logical to me, it implies that the characters are weak.

Even a weakling firing a machine gun is still a threat. Yet, they're not treated as one. It is simply distracting.

We'll agree to disagree and call it there. You'll be able to decide for yourself.

patsu

Kintaro said:
The Chimera are not taking cover. I forget the names, forgive me, but some jump/fly around, some just weave back and forth in the open, some charge straight ahead. I'd seen some use of cover here and there, but nothing on the level of Halo that makes me say "Wow, these guys are smart."

I meant the mobs. When they appeared, did they all charge the Chimeras ? Or did they take cover and shoot, like you ?

Chimeras generally have varied behavior. Some jump, some roll, some charge, some stretch their arms to reach you, some walk very slowly. But they don't generally take cover like Helghast or Covenant. They may shift position when hit depending on AI level.

They will flank you, and work in groups though. In the sense that, they will attack you with different abilities and weapons at once. More threatening are the poisonous weapons, electric weapons or the tunneling weapons.

As a player, it is a distraction to have friendly AI that is useless. I see them hitting nothing and nothing shooting at them. All attention is on me, the player and these guys do me no favors. It's silly and I will not be surprised to see it mentioned in a lot of reviews.

It's already highlighted in R2. ^_^
but the problem in R2 is compounded because of:
* Short health bar
* Limited arsenal at your disposal
* Other polishing issues

The combination of elements made it difficult for people.

They exist to do one of two things. Helping you in he battlefield is not one of them.

Even a weakling firing a machine gun is still a threat. Yet, they're not treated as one. It is simply distracting.

We'll agree to disagree and call it there. You'll be able to decide for yourself.

They do attempt to assist you, but I think Insomnaic wants you to use the weapon wheel to the fullest. It sounds like none of the friendly AI died ?

Edit:
Actually, never mind. I just found some gameplay videos where the Chimeras shoot at friendly AI instead of you (Eurogamer Haven gameplay video). So what you saw may not be the full picture.

I saw dead friendly AI too. They will get out of the way quickly but it seems that one AI stood too close to the gorilla Chimera.

spats

I beat it last night in one sitting, although I had a mate help me. Not the longest game in the world, but definitely a few hours longer than your avereage military shooter. Beat it on normal and unlocked superhuman. Normal was easy, as with most Insomniac games.

The visuals of the game were a positive surprise for me personally. It definiely doesn't have the same high resolution clean pixel look as the first one does, but goes for the Killzone-style "filmic" look with heavy postprocessing ( although KZ2 & 3 both look better than this game, sorry IG). But when the game looks good, it looks really, really good. Explosions look stunning, lighting is jaw dropping at times, motion blur and DOF are used really well and they have some really nice lens effects too, although using anamorphic lens flares everywhere is starting to get a bit old.

Frame rate was solid from start to finish; no sub 15fps drops but definitely not locked at 30.

I went to bed at 4am last night and have a small headache so I'm not sure if my judgement is completely reliable but I think this is the best Resistance game they've made and one of the best games they've made. Period.

Disregarding the story completely, there are so many fun gameplay possibilities with all the different weapons that I'm already itching for a second playthrough. There are cool setpieces which I'm not going to spoil, but they manage to avoid (IMO) the corniest settings and events and manage to do some pretty unique stuff.

Played with the pad the first time around. Will try the Move and nav controller on my second playthrough.

BeeDog

spats said:
I beat it last night in one sitting, although I had a mate help me. Not the longest game in the world, but definitely a few hours longer than your avereage military shooter. Beat it on normal and unlocked superhuman. Normal was easy, as with most Insomniac games.

The visuals of the game were a positive surprise for me personally. It definiely doesn't have the same high resolution clean pixel look as the first one does, but goes for the Killzone-style "filmic" look with heavy postprocessing ( although KZ2 & 3 both look better than this game, sorry IG). But when the game looks good, it looks really, really good. Explosions look stunning, lighting is jaw dropping at times, motion blur and DOF are used really well and they have some really nice lens effects too, although using anamorphic lens flares everywhere is starting to get a bit old.

Frame rate was solid from start to finish; no sub 15fps drops but definitely not locked at 30.

I went to bed at 4am last night and have a small headache so I'm not sure if my judgement is completely reliable but I think this is the best Resistance game they've made and one of the best games they've made. Period.

Disregarding the story completely, there are so many fun gameplay possibilities with all the different weapons that I'm already itching for a second playthrough. There are cool setpieces which I'm not going to spoil, but they manage to avoid (IMO) the corniest settings and events and manage to do some pretty unique stuff.

Played with the pad the first time around. Will try the Move and nav controller on my second playthrough.

Cool impressions, shame that the game can't hold a steady 30 fps. IG's technology is severely lacking, and I pray they improve it for Overstrike.

Anyway, just one question; does the game wrap up nicely or does it end on a dud? I frickin' hate unfinished games this generation.

spats

BeeDog said:
Cool impressions, shame that the game can't hold a steady 30 fps. IG's technology is severely lacking, and I pray they improve it for Overstrike.

Anyway, just one question; does the game wrap up nicely or does it end on a dud? I frickin' hate unfinished games this generation.

I'm not actually spoiling anything but I'm putting tags anyway for the most sensitive people
it just kinda ends I guess, if you know what I mean. They could've kept going but didn't. Didn't really leave at a cliffhanger either. I thought it was a pretty shitty ending to be honest.

Ravage

spats said:

Sounds great! ;)

patsu

spats said:

Thank you, it sounds like hard mode is really the way to go for veterans.

web01

The online beta is a ton of fun once you start unlocking and upgrading your weapons.

Problem is alot of people will probably not stick with it. i found it took me a good while to get used to the higher health.

BeeDog

spats said:
I'm not actually spoiling anything but I'm putting tags anyway for the most sensitive people
it just kinda ends I guess, if you know what I mean. They could've kept going but didn't. Didn't really leave at a cliffhanger either. I thought it was a pretty shitty ending to be honest.

GODFUCKINGDAMNIT, ARGH. How fucking inept do developers have to be this fucking generation? Stop blowing your load in the early parts of the game, and try to actually wrap shit up in a satisfying way!

:mad:((((((((((((((((

Loudninja

spats said:

Very nice impressions thank you. :)

BeeDog said:

He said it was solid, not sure how you got that the technology is lacking from that.

patsu

web01 said:
The online beta is a ton of fun once you start unlocking and upgrading your weapons.

Problem is alot of people will probably not stick with it. i found it took me a good while to get used to the higher health.

Heh heh, you mean take a longer time to kill people ? I heard a friend mention that the gameplay may be outdated.

I don't expect R3 MP to suddenly surge ahead. But it should be able to at least recover some folks from RFOM days, and also carry the R2 folks forward. If it's fun and different enough, it should be able to hold it's own following.

BeeDog

Loudninja said:
Very nice impressions thank you. :)

He said it was solid, not sure how you got that the technology is lacking from that.

Because it's lacking if it cannot hold 30 fps while still being sub-HD (despite many snazzy particle effects).

Loudninja

Btw no one mention load times yet,I guess they are not and issue.

web01 said:

Go for head shots, they go down quickly like that.

Thrakier

BeeDog said:
Because it's lacking if it cannot hold 30 fps while still being sub-HD (despite many snazzy particle effects).

Yeah, that's pretty sad, but I was guessing that coming from the beta. Insomniac needs to hire some talent for their tech department, that's not up to standard (not up to the standard a "huge" sony exclusive should be imo).

Also, R2 had the exact same AI problems described in this thread. I do think as well that enemies shouldn't get smarter on a higher difficulty. They should ALWAYS be smart.

patsu

I suspect it's the heavy alpha effects that has the biggest performance hit. Think GT5's pixelated rain. ^_^

The DF article mentioned that R3 doesn't skimp on alpha effects among other things.

As for AI, I think I will play the game myself to decide. The gameplay video I saw does not seem to exihibit the problem.

Raonak

Banned
Thrakier said:
Yeah, that's pretty sad, but I was guessing that coming from the beta. Insomniac needs to hire some talent for their tech department, that's not up to standard (not up to the standard a "huge" sony exclusive should be imo).

Agreed. They definetly need some better talent at building engines.

R:FOM looked good for it's time. Same with Ratchet:TOD.
The updated engine for R2 started looking dated imo. Pixelated weapon effects were a huge annyonace in R2 and rathet:ACIT.

now huge resolution drop. even from the beta, it's pretty bad. look at the distance, and the aliasing becomes extremely noticable.

good thing the game is fun.

Top Bottom