• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Loudninja said:
Btw no one mention load times yet,I guess they are not and issue.

It's rare I am harsh on loading times (GT5 is one of the worst I've experienced in recent memory since optical disc media became the norm) because I grew up with cassette tapes on the Commodore 64 so they don't usually bother me. I will say though that only twice during my play so far (Up to about Chap 11-12 atm) have I come across a 'Loading' prompt very briefly during play when I've been opening a door part leading to a new section of a level. Aside from that, which I think was just a rare moment, the loading after starting a level is seamless.

Really wish I started playing with the Move controller now but will give that a good chance on my second playthrough.

NBtoaster

BeeDog said:
Because it's lacking if it cannot hold 30 fps while still being sub-HD (despite many snazzy particle effects).

Doesn't mean it's lacking. The resolution drop is clearly allowing it to pull off those effects. R2 was 720p and a really good framerate, but had terrible lighting and particle effects. From what I've seen of the previews this is preferable.

I think it would be less of an issue if the AA was better.

Loudninja

Gen X said:
It's rare I am harsh on loading times (GT5 is one of the worst I've experienced in recent memory since optical disc media became the norm) because I grew up with cassette tapes on the Commodore 64 so they don't usually bother me. I will say though that only twice during my play so far (Up to about Chap 11-12 atm) have I come across a 'Loading' prompt very briefly during play when I've been opening a door part leading to a new section of a level. Aside from that, which I think was just a rare moment, the loading after starting a level is seamless.

Really wish I started playing with the Move controller now but will give that a good chance on my second playthrough.
Damn thats really good.

Thrakier said:
Yeah, that's pretty sad, but I was guessing that coming from the beta. Insomniac needs to hire some talent for their tech department, that's not up to standard (not up to the standard a "huge" sony exclusive should be imo).

Also, R2 had the exact same AI problems described in this thread. I do think as well that enemies shouldn't get smarter on a higher difficulty. They should ALWAYS be smart.
I want to be spoiled. someone give me a full rundown of the story including hales destiny.

Ashes

Banned
Thrakier said:
Yeah, that's pretty sad, but I was guessing that coming from the beta. Insomniac needs to hire some talent for their tech department, that's not up to standard (not up to the standard a "huge" sony exclusive should be imo).

Also, R2 had the exact same AI problems described in this thread. I do think as well that enemies shouldn't get smarter on a higher difficulty. They should ALWAYS be smart.

This doesn't make much sense. Higher difficulty levels should have smarter a.I. How can you argue against a basic premise like that?

patsu

NBtoaster said:
Doesn't mean it's lacking. The resolution drop is clearly allowing it to pull off those effects. R2 was 720p and a really good framerate, but had terrible lighting and particle effects. From what I've seen of the previews this is preferable.

I think it would be less of an issue if the AA was better.

Besides the dynamic lighting and heavy post processing effects, DF also cited impressive physics that affect gameplay.

The engine upgrades we see in Resistance 3 serve a combination of purposes, but perhaps the most important element is in how they enhance the actual gameplay. The physics engine ensures that all the fun you've having with the weaponry translates into suitably appropriate action on-screen, with Battlefield/Frostbite levels of destruction mostly utilised in a series of standout, interactive set-pieces. The impact of your weaponry on both environment and Chimera is appropriately impressive, and there's a real sense of collateral damage to the gunplay as props go flying in the carnage. Compare and contrast to Medal of Honor, where a lamp stays rooted to a table even after a direct RPG hit.

Purely visual improvements to the Insomniac engine come across as a hybrid of Killzone 3 and Metro 2033. There's a wealth of intricate detailing in all aspects of the artwork and a lot of dynamic lights and shadow in play. Ambient occlusion is also well implemented, adding a further layer of depth to the environments, and there's a wealth of post-processing effects in play, including some beautiful light shafts/god-rays.

Resistance 3 doesn't skimp on alpha effects either. Fog, smoke and dust are all well utilised in adding to the realism of the scene, and come into their own during the pitched combat and the destruction-based set-pieces. Camera and object-based motion blur are also par for the course - something of a standard in all of Sony's key first-party titles.

NBtoaster

patsu said:
Besides the dynamic lighting and heavy post processing effects, DF also cited impressive physics that affect gameplay.

Wonder how extensive things are interactive. In the previews there was some kind of corn field but the crops looked immovable, unaffected by explosions or bullets..

patsu

Ashes1396 said:
This doesn't make much sense. Higher difficulty levels should have smarter a.I. How can you argue against a basic premise like that?

Frankly, I think it's a matter of balance. Sometimes, it may make sense to tweak damage/health, sometimes it makes more sense to create new behavior, other times it may be more fun to throw in new enemy, occasionally you want to do something different to surprise the users.

Based on gameplay footage and user impression so far, it's possible the system may be more complex than individual experiences and simplified discussions/assumptions.

The goal is to create a fun experience, which they seem to have achieved.

patsu

NBtoaster said:
Wonder how extensive things are interactive. In the previews there was some kind of corn field but the crops looked immovable, unaffected by explosions or bullets..

A field of crops is probably too much. Probably furniture, and large objects like cars and corpse and live Chimeras ?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Something I haven't seen mentioned that I think deserves praise due to the lack of it in most games of this genre on consoles is that the controls are fully customizable, not just a few sets of preset configs. This is what put me off Killzone 2 as I just can't get my hands around the shitty presets and as such, only played about an hour or so of it. Great to see this option for gamers in R3.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Gen X said:
Something I haven't seen mentioned that I think deserves praise due to the lack of it in most games of this genre on consoles is that the controls are fully customizable, not just a few sets of preset configs. This is what put me off Killzone 2 as I just can't get my hands around the shitty presets and as such, only played about an hour or so of it. Great to see this option for gamers in R3.

I agree this should be praised tbh, its a shame that all games don't have this as standard, I hope reviewers point this out, giving you fully customizable controls should in some small way contribute towards the overall score which in turn would hopefully help influence more developers to follow suit, I'm sure there must be a minority of disabled gamers out there that really appreciate these options.

Rolf NB

Ashes1396 said:
Simple really. Users that will play on normal and easy modes with dumbed-down AIs will end up disappointed by the boneheaded enemy behaviours, go on the internet and complain. I think it's better to have the full capacity of the AI exposed in all difficulty settings, and rather scale things with a combination of health/damage tweaks and enemy numbers/placement. That way they remain interesting to fight. You take their ability to kill you away without making them seem boring and stupid.

BeeDog said:
GODFUCKINGDAMNIT, ARGH. How fucking inept do developers have to be this fucking generation? Stop blowing your load in the early parts of the game, and try to actually wrap shit up in a satisfying way!

:mad:((((((((((((((((

Sounds like they Halo 3'd it. Sub-HD, absolute shit finale. Hm, that's disheartening. Do devs not understand that when you get to the end of a trilogy that it needs to be either epic, impactful, or both? There's nothing worse than getting to the end of a story and it just being like yeah whatever.

I realize there's probably going to be more games, just as Halo 4 is on the way, but like Halo 3, this is kind of being considered the end of a trilogy. It needed to be strong and I fully expected it to, so that is definitely a bummer.

Loudninja

Gen X said:
Yes very few games does this, even thought I am comfortable with the default control scheme is a really nice option.

Ashes

Banned
Rolf NB said:
Simple really. Users that will play on normal and easy modes with dumbed-down AIs will end up disappointed by the boneheaded enemy behaviours, go on the internet and complain. I think it's better to have the full capacity of the AI exposed in all difficulty settings, and rather scale things with a combination of health/damage tweaks and enemy numbers/placement. That way they remain interesting to fight. You take their ability to kill you away without making them seem boring and stupid.

Ahh, so you want the base level of A.I to be pretty high. Okay that makes more sense. :p

I was like: You don't want smarter a.i. on high difficulty levels? don't you ever replay fun games?

edit: Basing this on R1 co-op. I guess insomniac had design issues with incorporating co-op or something. Besides, the a.i can't aim for both players in co-op? :p

Thrakier

Rolf NB said:

This, and tbh, I don't think any dev makes his AI "dumb" to make it more easy. The tweaks should be health, damage and items alone. A good AI really helps the overall immersion and the fun and no way in hell I'd get rid of that just to make it easy. I think the metapher "enemies get smarter on higher difficulty" is the GAF equivalent of an urban legend.

And I really hope that all those reports of "awesome dynamic lighting" in the SP campagin are true. Because in the beta the lighting was just as flat, plain and static as in R2. It also has bugs (like loading the "lighted weapon model" too late or not always in the same spot etc.).

NBtoaster

patsu said:
A field of crops is probably too much. Probably furniture, and large objects like cars and corpse and live Chimeras ?

I don't think it's too much to ask? They could just explode in a poof of dust. It would be a little silly if they can be used for cover.

French said:
The game is already very sub HD ( after 3 years of development :/ ) in 2D, so ...

The DF analysis posted earlier say it's about the same res as KZ3 in 3D, but with a better aspect ratio. Some effects are toned down. Final game could improve of course.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Gen X said:

That option applied to the Move controls as well... for a while. :/

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
USE SPOILER TAGS. POST SPOILERS AND I WILL GO TITAN ON YOUR ACCOUNT

And watch what you are spoiling! Refrain from spoiling the ending until the game is out! :)

Loudninja

Y2Kev said:
USE SPOILER TAGS. POST SPOILERS AND I WILL GO TITAN ON YOUR ACCOUNT

And watch what you are spoiling! Refrain from spoiling the ending until the game is out! :)
Yes I will destroy someone if the ending is spoiled.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
patsu said:
I meant the mobs. When they appeared, did they all charge the Chimeras ? Or did they take cover and shoot, like you ?

When I say mobs, I mean the Chimera. Most just zig zagged in the open.

They do attempt to assist you, but I think Insomnaic wants you to use the weapon wheel to the fullest. It sounds like none of the friendly AI died ?

Edit:
Actually, never mind. I just found some gameplay videos where the Chimeras shoot at friendly AI instead of you (Eurogamer Haven gameplay video). So what you saw may not be the full picture.

I saw dead friendly AI too. They will get out of the way quickly but it seems that one AI stood too close to the gorilla Chimera.

The friendly AI can't die unless, like you saw, its scripted. Like that scene you described. I hid behind an AI while he took endless Auger blasts to the face and just soaked up the damage.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kintaro said:

The friendly AI can't die unless, like you saw, its scripted. Like that scene you described. I hid behind an AI while he took endless Auger blasts to the face and just soaked up the damage.
That happened in R2. Or at least I think most people said it did. The enemies would shoot at the friendly AI until you entered the scene, and then they would target you.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Y2Kev said:
That happened in R2. Or at least I think most people said it did. The enemies would shoot at the friendly AI until you entered the scene, and then they would target you.

Well, 99.9% of the time, they will be shooting at you. =)

Rengoku

spats said:
I'm not actually spoiling anything but I'm putting tags anyway for the most sensitive people
it just kinda ends I guess, if you know what I mean. They could've kept going but didn't. Didn't really leave at a cliffhanger either. I thought it was a pretty shitty ending to be honest.

That fucking sucks... Seriously Insomniac? You guys had a 3 year dev cycle for this game, and you planned for this to be the end of the series, you couldn't come up with a proper satisfying ending? I'm not much of a MP guy, so I was really looking forward to see how much better the SP campaign could be with the additional year of dev time. So far from what I'm hearing, it doesn't seem like it's that big of a jump that I hoped for :(

patsu

Kintaro said:

In the new Haven gameplay video, the Chimeras CLEARLY shoot at other AI as well as you. So what you saw is not the full picture.

Friendly AI not dying could be a health adjustment for difficulty also. In Uncharted, the friendly AI has very high health too. But if you left them in trouble, they will die eventually.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Rengoku, your avatar is hypnotizing.
Is that the girl from Bioshock Infinite? It seems like they changed her again.
Rolf NB said:
Agreed 100%. Difficulty levels should be about making you feel more badass or helping less skilled players survive through the game, not dumbing it down by making the game a gallery shooter.

Ashes

Banned
I'm gonna play on the higher difficulty, so I'll check it out. But there are two problems with that:
1. I don't have the game. :p
2. I'm not a good player.

Having said that, a.i. Is definitely smarter in some games as the difficulty increases. Their aim improves sgnificantly in r2. In killzone, the ai is very intelligent on the higher difficulty; flanking you like nobody's business. Fun fact: dead space 2 has a trophy called 'clever girl' which is a cool reference if you get what it means.

Do we have any confirmation they this beta is not representative of the final game?

Because this beta seems a bit rough for a game that is shipping within days. Janky transitions, jerky framerate, bugs, etc. I just saw a guy floating through the air, and ultimately through a wall.

Just from my brief time with it this does seem like the most fun Resistance multiplayer so far. I just feel like it needs more polishing.

patsu

Kintaro said:
Well, 99.9% of the time, they will be shooting at you. =)

Hmm... You said the Chimeras always shoot at you and the AI _never_ draw fire. It doesn't look 99.9% from Eurogamer's playthrough. And if you are hiding behind AI, how do you know the Chimeras are shooting at only you ?

In R2, the enemies will only shoot at me when I enter their awareness. If I run back to recover, they don't. Even if I'm hiding, the Chimeras should still be able to see me since they have X ray vision (like you + Auger in MP mode). They should also have greater field of vision because they have more eyes.

The Chimera mobs may give you more weight but I just don't think they are unaware of the friendly AI from the gameplay video. The designers have a job system and they can schedule the tasks for the AI. This may appear scripted depending on how detailed the script is.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BruiserBear said:
Do we have any confirmation they this beta is not representative of the final game?

Because this beta seems a bit rough for a game that is shipping within days. Janky transitions, jerky framerate, bugs, etc. I just saw a guy floating through the air, and ultimately through a wall.

Just from my brief time with it this does seem like the most fun Resistance multiplayer so far. I just feel like it needs more polishing.
The beta build is a few months old and the final game is going to have a big day 1 patch.

patsu

FunkyPajamas said:
Is that the girl from Bioshock Infinite? It seems like they changed her again.

Agreed 100%. Difficulty levels should be about making you feel more badass or helping less skilled players survive through the game, not dumbing it down by making the game a gallery shooter.

I don't think Kintaro said the AI is dumbed down. He's saying the AI is only aware of him and the friendly AI doesn't draw fire. He was overwhelmed by the Chimeras (at first).

Edit: From Insomniac's AI video, the Chimeras will also dive if you throw a grenade near them.

I reckon he will have to play the game on higher difficulty to tell if and how dumbed down the enemies are.

Yuterald

Are there Skill Points in this game? I couldn't believe they removed them in Resistance 2 when I played it for the first time. Skill Points are like an Insomniac trademark. The singleplayer in R2 was so boring. There was like no reason to replay the game other than a few journal logs to pick up. I always thought the Skill Point system made the gameplay and stages 100% more interesting.

Yuterald

patsu said:
I can't remember the skill points in RFOM, but you can upgrade your weapons in R3.

They were definitely there. Some of them were really cool like getting through one of those mine fields without being damaged by the mines, stuff like that. I always felt the Skill Points were like mini in-game achievements. They added a lot of fun replay value to the campaign after you finished it.

When will the reviews be up? There are tons of games coming and I´m not sure if I should buy this or Gears 3. There´s only room for one FPS MP, in the time that I can play games atm.

Ashes

Banned
Steve McQueen said:
When will the reviews be up? There are tons of games coming and I´m not sure if I should buy this or Gears 3. There´s only room for one FPS MP, in the time that I can play games atm.

Well since gears isn't a fps, I'd say go for resistance between the two. Unless you mean shooters in general. I kind of like bf3 and uc3 over those two.

Gears should be compared more to uc3.

patsu

BruiserBear said:

Yap, the servers are overloaded now. The occasional jerk and some lag fixes will be in day 1.

However I believe jstevenson mentioned that they will also have another fix after the day 1 patch.

CozMick

Banned
Have the online servers been turned on yet?

I need to know if they nerfed the leapers perk, inferno rounds and fixed the "The party has been disbanded" black screen while playing.

Top Bottom