• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

patsu

Ashes1396 said:
Well since gears isn't a fps, I'd say go for resistance between the two. Unless you mean shooters in general. I kind of like bf3 and uc3 over those two.

Gears should be compared more to uc3.

Perhaps Gears 3 has a good first person mode/view.

Loudninja said:
Yes I will destroy someone if the ending is spoiled.
People shouldn't be posting shit before the general public has it. I've only described my experiences in the vaguest ways possible. Keep it to PMs.

patsu

CozMick said:
Have the online servers been turned on yet?

I need to know if they nerfed the leapers perk, inferno rounds and fixed the "The party has been disbanded" black screen while playing.

I haven't seen the black screen error for a while now.

Leaper and inferno rounds are still there but you get more things to counter them in the newer beta. I can't tell if they have been nerfed. Doesn't look like it. 8^P

delta25

Banned
Raonak said:
Agreed. They definetly need some better talent at building engines.

R:FOM looked good for it's time. Same with Ratchet:TOD.
The updated engine for R2 started looking dated imo. Pixelated weapon effects were a huge annyonace in R2 and rathet:ACIT.

now huge resolution drop. even from the beta, it's pretty bad. look at the distance, and the aliasing becomes extremely noticable.

good thing the game is fun.

no offense Raonak but you being a PC gamer most likely makes your standards in visuals a tad higher then us lonely little console peasants, so I'm going to have to take your opinion with a grain of salt. :)

Loudninja

Yuterald said:
Are there Skill Points in this game? I couldn't believe they removed them in Resistance 2 when I played it for the first time. Skill Points are like an Insomniac trademark. The singleplayer in R2 was so boring. There was like no reason to replay the game other than a few journal logs to pick up. I always thought the Skill Point system made the gameplay and stages 100% more interesting.
Trophies replace those.

ConradCervantes said:
People shouldn't be posting shit before the general public has it. I've only described my experiences in the vaguest ways possible. Keep it to PMs.
I appreciate it greatly! :)

patsu

NBtoaster said:
I don't think it's too much to ask? They could just explode in a poof of dust. It would be a little silly if they can be used for cover.

Ah, I was thinking of more sophisticated treatment. If it's crude outcome like this, it would be doable but I suspect some people would call it out. ^_^

I agree crops should not be usable as a cover.

Yuterald

patsu said:
Are the rfom skill points used for anything ?

They unlocked bonus stuff. New multiplayer skins, art galleries, a clank backpack for your singleplayer character, mirrored levels, that kind of stuff. Skill Points were introduced in the Spyro the Dragon series, I believe in the second one. They WERE a staple in most Insomniac games until R2, really.

So, there isn't anything like that in R3? I really don't like how PSN Trophies 'replaced' skill points. The trophies aren't even close to the kinds of things they had you doing in RFoM. Oh well, I'll pick this game up when it hits greatest hits. I'm sure the game is going to be fun, but it'll be a one-sitting ride with probably little incentive to replay the main game and I don't give a shit about the competitive multiplayer.

Loudninja

Yuterald said:
They unlocked bonus stuff. New multiplayer skins, art galleries, a clank backpack for your singleplayer character, mirrored levels, that kind of stuff. Skill Points were introduced in the Spyro the Dragon series, I believe in the second one. They WERE a staple in most Insomniac games until R2, really.

So, there isn't anything like that in R3? I really don't like how PSN Trophies 'replaced' skill points. The trophies aren't even close to the kinds of things they had you doing in RFoM. Oh well, I'll pick this game up when it hits greatest hits. I'm sure the game is going to be fun, but it'll be a one-sitting ride with probably little incentive to replay the main game and I don't give a shit about the competitive multiplayer.
They are the exact same thing. You are doing the same things you would if you were getting skill points.

patsu

Hmm... So trophies will unlock cool stuff in R3 ?

For me, the replay value in SP for RFOM was the basic playability. It's more fun and it plays differently at higher difficulty. And then of course there's the MP.

Loudninja

patsu said:
Hmm... So trophies will unlock cool stuff in R3 ?

For me, the replay value in SP for RFOM was the basic playability. It's more fun and it plays differently at higher difficulty. And then of course there's the MP.
Skillpoints are only in multiplayer,and you get them when you level up I think.

Ashes1396 said:
Well since gears isn't a fps, I'd say go for resistance between the two. Unless you mean shooters in general. I kind of like bf3 and uc3 over those two.

Gears should be compared more to uc3.

I meant shooters in general. But the real problem is there are gonna be tons of great games and I promised myself not to buy every game I like at launch. With so much games coming up it´s kinda hard to get the most out of one game. I hardly play MP because when I finished the SP, the next AAA game is out.

But to be honest, I´m afraid can´t keep this promise. So I guess that I walk 10 times in and out of the Gamestore and buy the both afterall :(

patsu

Loudninja said:
Skillpoints are only in multiplayer,and you get them when you level up I think.

... for R3. ^_^

Would be like Insomniac if they leave something extraordinary in the game. I remember R&C:ACiT has an Insomniac office for example.

For RFOM, I think NG+ unlocks more weapons. IMHO, they are more valuable than unlocking images and videos for replay. You can see those on the net these days.

Loudninja

patsu said:
... for R3. ^_^

Would be like Insomniac if they leave something extraordinary in the game. I remember R&C:ACiT has an Insomniac office for example.

For RFOM, I think NG+ unlocks more weapons. IMHO, they are more valuable than unlocking images and videos for replay. You can see those on the net these days.
Thats what I am talking about, nothing like that for sp.

Loudninja

patsu said:
In R3 NG+, will the upgraded weapons carry over ? Or when we have more weapons ?
Yes upgraded weapons carry over, it wouldn't be a NG+ if it didn't! Not sure about any bonus weapons I doubt it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Rengoku said:
That fucking sucks... Seriously Insomniac? You guys had a 3 year dev cycle for this game, and you planned for this to be the end of the series, you couldn't come up with a proper satisfying ending?

Resistance 3 was never planned as the end of the series. Ever.

Den_John

jstevenson said:

James, great job and kudos to Insomniac Games. I really enjoyed the game!

Any news on when we can collect our MyResistance-unlocks to R3?

Anyone know how the splitscreen is laid out? I haven't seen any screenshots. I can't stand when games simply shrink the full single player screen down until there's enough room for two of them, as it wastes so much space and the UI is almost impossible to read.

Loudninja

Its nothing just asked about the day one patch.

TelemachusD said:
Anyone know how the splitscreen is laid out? I haven't seen any screenshots. I can't stand when games simply shrink the full single player screen down until there's enough room for two of them, as it wastes so much space and the UI is almost impossible to read.
You can see how it looks on that free episode of quore.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Den_John said:
James, great job and kudos to Insomniac Games. I really enjoyed the game!

Any news on when we can collect our MyResistance-unlocks to R3?

whenever Sony gets PSN log-in on MyRes working

Ashes

Banned
Loudninja said:
Its nothing just asked about the day one patch.

You can see who it looks on that free episode of quore.

Free episode of quore? Is that on the ps store? Or on YouTube?

Ps. Iirc resistance 1 had horizontal slice in half.

CozMick

Banned
I bought the double pack for the back story but mostly for this exclusive skin

MPSRPACapelli_Wide-2.jpg

My body is READY!

thuway

jstevenson said:

We'll see you at PS4 launch. The engine has matured beautifully, and is only held back by the horsepower of the RSX. Can't wait to see what the talented guys back at IG will do with more RAM, and a powerful GPU :).

delta25

Banned
Erasus said:
Perhaps inevitably, there is a trade-off in the implementation of all these new effects. In the Battle: Los Angeles playable demo, we see that native resolution has dropped significantly, down from the 1280x704 of Resistance 2 to a mere 960x704 - a 25 per cent drop - and nothing from the much more recent preview code suggests that this has changed, suggesting it's a lock.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-resistance-3

The resolution is so low, and then its being upscaled.

Why not just go back to 800x600, huh devs?

In order to have all the cool environmental effects and regular effects they had to tone done the resolution, its really not that a big of a deal.

Thrakier

thuway said:
We'll see you at PS4 launch. The engine has matured beautifully, and is only held back by the horsepower of the RSX. Can't wait to see what the talented guys back at IG will do with more RAM, and a powerful GPU :).

What the...how is UC or KZ held back by the "horsepower of the RSX" and not enough RAM? Or Infamous 2? Or even mutliplat games like Dead Space 2? Seriously. -.-

Well, from that Qore video it looks like it's the same as R2's split (i.e. horizontal split with black bars on the left and right). Shitty pic ahoy.

hQmMKl.jpg

thuway

Thrakier said:
What the...how is UC or KZ held back by the "horsepower of the RSX" and not enough RAM? Or Infamous 2? Or even mutliplat games like Dead Space 2? Seriously. -.-

The beauty of Resistance 3 is in the alpha effects, something the PS3 is currently very weak in. I love Sony's first party, don't get me wrong, but this engine excels in areas the PS3 is not strong in.

sleepykyo

Y2Kev said:
Capelli retconned total

Speaking of Capelli isn't he overdue to turn by now? Last I remember the SRPA soldiers were infected with Chimeran genetic material as well. There was that fetch the vials mission in R2.

Ashes

Banned
TelemachusD said:
Well, from that Qore video it looks like it's the same as R2's split (i.e. horizontal split with black bars on the left and right). Shitty pic ahoy.

cheers.

It is as it is in R1. I remember my bro complaining about the limited view, even on out fifty inch. Then a couple of years later, he complains about how other games should do it like R1. I think he got used to it lol.

Loudninja

sleepykyo said:
Speaking of Capelli isn't he overdue to turn by now? Last I remembered SRPA soldiers were infected with Chimeran genetic material as well. They was that fetch the vials mission in R2.
You will see the answer in R3.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
sleepykyo said:
Speaking of Capelli isn't he overdue to turn by now? Last I remembered SRPA soldiers were infected with Chimeran genetic material as well. They was that fetch the vials mission in R2.
it's addressed in the opening movie

Ashes

Banned
sleepykyo said:

did you watch the opening movie trailer? it's explained there...

edit: 3 hit combo ftw!

Melchiah

TelemachusD said:

hQmMKl.jpg

A major disappointment. Why on earth isn't the screen divided vertically (like in RFoM), which is natural on widescreen TV? At least give us the option to choose which way we want to play it on co-op. And a HUGE minus for not filling the whole of the screen, again (like in R2).

Ashes

Banned
Melchiah said:
A major disappointment. Why on earth isn't the screen divided vertically (like in RFoM), which is natural on widescreen TV? At least give us the option to choose which way we want to play it on co-op. And a HUGE minus for not filling the whole of the screen, again (like in R2).

?

I thought it... Wait a sec...

edit: Thought so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qQSlIEwMlw

I knew it was like that in Resistance 1.

Thrakier

thuway said:
The beauty of Resistance 3 is in the alpha effects, something the PS3 is currently very weak in. I love Sony's first party, don't get me wrong, but this engine excels in areas the PS3 is not strong in.

Yep, sounds like a good move to concentrate on graphical effects which are the weak spot of the console just to deliver an C+ looking game. That's serious developing talent right there. Sorry, I don't see the point you are trying to make.

Loudninja

Thrakier said:
Yep, sounds like a good move to concentrate on graphical effects which are the weak spot of the console just to deliver an C+ looking game. That's serious developing talent right there. Sorry, I don't see the point you are trying to make.
C+ what the hell?

Top Bottom