• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Does anyone else think that the Auger should be the 9 berserk instead of the Mutation/Combat Armor? I always seem to get way more kills with the Auger than I do with the 9 berserk. The Auger's range at which it can see through walls is pretty decent, and the rate of fire is pretty fast too. Couple that with deployable shields and not losing mobility makes it just slightly better than mutating to me. It's especially deadly when your team has the other team backed into their spawn.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
RoboPlato said:
I know what you mean. I've only gotten it once and got killed immediately after getting it out. I can hit 5 kills every now and then but 6 and up is extremely difficult for me. It is insanely powerful though. I guess I'll just have to get my Auger on in SP.

I can only manage to get it once every 5 or 6 matches, and I ALWAYS forget to drop the shield so death ensues.

Also, does anyone know if only one player can activate one of those two streaks for each team?
Meaning two players on the same team can't have Augers or Mutators going at the same time?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
i4nxbn.jpg

Welp, I have the game and I'm not under embargo. So, I'll post some impressions as I play for a couple hours tonight.

First off, make a sandwich after you hit the button to install data because after the poor motion comic cutscene thing with the Chimeran virus outbreak, its a long time...

More to come.

patsu

BobTheFork said:
D: omg! Not only can I not get 6 kills in a row but the Auger was my favorite weapon. Shame, but I understand how hard it was to balance. Look at how much it changed in the first two games and it still wasn't perfect.

I don't need a perfect Auger. The original slow-poke, limited ammo Auger works for me. ^_^

I can pull it out when seriously wounded and put up a shield for some protection. The X ray vision helps too.

It's also very useful for flushing out hidden enemies, specially group of snipers.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah well F U CATS I am playing Resistance 2 over and over again.

You know what IIII forgot? How good Chicago looked!

Just finished my Superhuman play through of Resistance 2. The campaign was way better then I remembered. Yeah it's not "Fall of Man 2" but its still a great game.

Time to dust off the move controllers and get the charged and ready for Tuesday.

Kintaro

Okay, first little turtorial and chapter finished. Not going into storyline details or spoilers. If I do, they will be marked. However, I will try not to. Just general gameplay/graphics impressions.

First impressions: I'm going to be very, very nice. The humans in this game are ugly as fuck. Textures on things are blurry and the screen has like...a...type of film or something on it. It's not crisp. I don't know what that is.

Guns feel fine and are fun to use.

Encountered a bug where a cutscene hitched for a second, then the video and audio did not match. The video was like a tiny bit behind the audio, making it look weird.

First chapter was pretty okay. Magnum is fun. =)

My god the humans are ugly though. Wow.

Teknoman

Kintaro said:
Okay, first little turtorial and chapter finished. Not going into storyline details or spoilers. If I do, they will be marked. However, I will try not to. Just general gameplay/graphics impressions.

First impressions: I'm going to be very, very nice. The humans in this game are ugly as fuck. Textures on things are blurry and the screen has like...a...type of film or something on it. It's not crisp. I don't know what that is.

Encountered a bug where a cutscene hitched for a second, then the video and audio did not match. The video was like a tiny bit behind the audio, making it look weird.

Yeah playing the beta made the game seem like it had some sort of motion blur set up where it looked smoother than 30 but not quite 60.

Loudninja

Kintaro said:

I am pretty sure thats film grain,thanks for the impressions. :)

patsu

Did Insomniac release any material on its post processing effects ?

The DF preview suggested R3 has several but didn't go into details.

patsu

Applesauce said:
I can only manage to get it once every 5 or 6 matches, and I ALWAYS forget to drop the shield so death ensues.

Also, does anyone know if only one player can activate one of those two streaks for each team?
Meaning two players on the same team can't have Augers or Mutators going at the same time?

Hmm.. I think I have seen 2 armored dudes in the same map at the same time. Doubt there is a limit but we can probably experiment a little.

patsu

Loudninja said:
Tried to add you patsu,your friends list is full though.

Yeah, that's why I am counting on the GAF chatroom to connect with new friends. There are probably too many Gaffers to add to my friends list. Do you have a link to the chatroom ?

Kintaro

Loudninja said:
I am pretty sure thats film grain,thanks for the impressions. :)

No, its not film grain unless they did it throughout the whole game. If it is film grain, its very poor and I wish to turn that shit off.

Massa

theAntagonist said:
Does anyone else think that the Auger should be the 9 berserk instead of the Mutation/Combat Armor? I always seem to get way more kills with the Auger than I do with the 9 berserk. The Auger's range at which it can see through walls is pretty decent, and the rate of fire is pretty fast too. Couple that with deployable shields and not losing mobility makes it just slightly better than mutating to me. It's especially deadly when your team has the other team backed into their spawn.

Honestly the only berserk that really bothers me is the shield that humans get after 3 kills. I think it needs to be toned down.

Kintaro said:
No, its not film grain unless they did it throughout the whole game. If it is film grain, its very poor and I wish to turn that shit off.

When is film grain not done throughout the whole game?

Loudninja

Kintaro said:
Not really sure what you are talking about than.

patsu

Kintaro said:

It's probably a stack of post processing effects together. ^_^
we won't be able to separate each one out cleanly in action.

KZ2 experience was blurry with it's own stack of PP effects too.

This was what DF said in the preview copy. The final copy should be slightly more polished.

Purely visual improvements to the Insomniac engine come across as a hybrid of Killzone 3 and Metro 2033. There's a wealth of intricate detailing in all aspects of the artwork and a lot of dynamic lights and shadow in play. Ambient occlusion is also well implemented, adding a further layer of depth to the environments, and there's a wealth of post-processing effects in play, including some beautiful light shafts/god-rays.

Resistance 3 doesn't skimp on alpha effects either. Fog, smoke and dust are all well utilised in adding to the realism of the scene, and come into their own during the pitched combat and the destruction-based set-pieces. Camera and object-based motion blur are also par for the course - something of a standard in all of Sony's key first-party titles.

Resistance 3 positively revels in the use of light and shadow, much of it generated in real-time, providing a subtle but effectively immersive experience.

Perhaps inevitably, there is a trade-off in the implementation of all these new effects. In the Battle: Los Angeles playable demo, we see that native resolution has dropped significantly, down from the 1280x704 of Resistance 2 to a mere 960x704 - a 25 per cent drop - and nothing from the much more recent preview code suggests that this has changed, suggesting it's a lock.

Massa said:
Honestly the only berserk that really bothers me is the shield that humans get after 3 kills. I think it needs to be toned down.

See, I don't really have a problem with the Assault shields because I tend to either drop a grenade at their feet, run the opposite direction, or approach them from behind. I can see the shields so it's not too bad in my opinion. I'm never on the receiving end of the Auger very often, but the destruction I sometimes do with it makes me feel bad for those that are. It's especially deadly if you hit people in the head, plus not being able to see the Auger user/react to the shots in time seems like it could be very annoying. I know that if a team's pent up in a building, I can lay down Auger fire and wipe out just about everyone before anyone has time to react. Plus, I've gotten good at gauging the distance/wall travel speed of the Auger rounds so even if people do react I can usually kill them anyway.

I suspect camo could be very annoying too, but I've never really had problems with it. I know there's been a few times where I've been cloaked and ran straight at someone with the Rossmore equipped. It felt dirty and I'm sure the guy I had just shotgunned wasn't too happy.

Kintaro

Well, post processing or not. It looks...well, not crisp. Slightly blurry. Like just off enough to notice.

Anyways, more gameplay. Picking up more guns and they're pretty fun so far. However, in playing on normal, the enemies have this fucking annoying thing they do. They only target you. They seem to be able to track you anywhere. On a building, behind a car, whatever. You can get behind them real quick and they will turn right around and start firing on you. Ignoring your ass out stupid, moronic AI teammates you get early in the game. Also, cover seems to do absolutely nothing. It's like crouch only crouches you just enough to where your head stick out and they can continue hitting you.

Also, on normal, there are HORDES of enemies filling the screen with bullets to the point where you can't seem to do anything. Yes, I freely admit I suck. So, that could be part of it. Or, people may be bumping this down to easy like in R2.

patsu

Kintaro said:
Well, post processing or not. It looks...well, not crisp. Slightly blurry. Like just off enough to notice.

Anyways, more gameplay. Picking up more guns and they're pretty fun so far. However, in playing on normal, the enemies have this fucking annoying thing they do. They only target you. They seem to be able to track you anywhere. On a building, behind a car, whatever. You can get behind them real quick and they will turn right around and start firing on you. Ignoring your ass out stupid, moronic AI teammates you get early in the game. Also, cover seems to do absolutely nothing. It's like crouch only crouches you just enough to where your head stick out and they can continue hitting you.

Also, on normal, there are HORDES of enemies filling the screen with bullets to the point where you can't seem to do anything. Yes, I freely admit I suck. So, that could be part of it. Or, people may be bumping this down to easy like in R2.

Dude, the Chimeras have Xray vision ! >_<
Didn't you play R2 co-op ? The Auger folks *will* flush you out of anywhere you hide.

I actually don't think R2 is difficult at all. Plan to play R3 in Hard.

As for blurry look, I think it depends on the experience the devs are after. I much much prefer KZ2's blurry look compared to KZ3's crisp look.

patsu

Violater said:
Fuck Yamato Resistance Nao!!

Bu..bu.. but, it's the third time I try to watch this thing. It's like every time I sat down, someone shined the Batman light and I got to go save their asses. LOL.

I am about half done. Will hop on right after that.
[Yamato space warp ! Gah.... Enemy ambush !!!]

patsu

Teknoman said:
What res was Resistance 1? Maybe I need to replay it, but I remember it looking pretty sharp.

1280 x 704 I think.

It's sharp with QXAA. Some people called it blurry. ^_^

Wait... the game hasn't released yet?

WTF I saw them at Shoppers Drug Mart a few days ago! FUCK, I SHOULD'VE PICKED IT UP BUT I JUST LOOKED AT IT AND BEGAN PAYING FOR WHAT I WAS PAYING!

Oh... it's a 24 hour store. Let's see if they still have it in shelf.

Kintaro said:

Ouch. I was hoping that this wasn't the case for the AI in R3. One of the things I hated the most about Resistance 2 was the enemy AI's ability to always be aware of your location and their almost complete avoidance of your friendly AI teammates. That made the game frustrating to me.

patsu

theAntagonist said:
Ouch. I was hoping that this wasn't the case for the AI in R3. One of the things I hated the most about Resistance 2 was the enemy AI's ability to always be aware of your location and their almost complete avoidance of your friendly AI teammates. That made the game frustrating to me.

In R2, the health bar is very short, or enemy damage is too high. So you most likely can't run and gun unless you use Auger. That made the experience frustrating. Not sure what they do in R3. Sounds like you need to divide and conquer. Also may need to exploit teh weapon wheel.

Kintaro

patsu said:
Dude, the Chimeras have Xray vision ! >_<
Didn't you play R2 co-op ? The Auger folks *will* flush you out of anywhere you hide.

I actually don't think R2 is difficult at all. Plan to play R3 in Hard.

As for blurry look, I think it depends on the experience the devs are after. I much much prefer KZ2's blurry look compared to KZ3's crisp look.

Nah, normal, non-Auger using mobs follow your every step as well. The ones using the Auger, I can handle. The ones without? Bullshit. The AI idiots can hide all day long and the Chimera don't even look at them. You? You're wearing a meat jacket in a pool of sharks.

patsu

Kintaro said:
Nah, normal, non-Auger using mobs follow your every step as well. The ones using the Auger, I can handle. The ones without? Bullshit. The AI idiots can hide all day long and the Chimera don't even look at them. You? You're wearing a meat jacket in a pool of sharks.

All Hybrids, not just Auger ones, have X-ray vision. Those without Auger will shuffle around you. The Berserkers will charge you.

I remember in R2, they will fight the AI soldiers as usual until you enter their circle of awareness. May want to figure out that space.

I vaguely remember all you foot soldier friends would die quickly in RFOM, and then more will reinforce later.

Loudninja

Kintaro said:
Its like that in every single Resistance game.

Kintaro said:

Well, we haven't seen Resistance from the Chimeran viewpoint. Maybe they're like, "Shit, it's Capelli! That bad-enough dude can muck up our well-laid plans! Get 'im!"

patsu

ConradCervantes said:
Well, we haven't seen Resistance from the Chimeran viewpoint. Maybe they're like, "Shit, it's Capelli! That bad-enough dude can muck up our well-laid plans! Get 'im!"

It may be more like... Look ! Capelli had garlic last night. [zap, zap, zap]

Loudninja

ConradCervantes said:
Haha.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Kintaro said:
Also, on normal, there are HORDES of enemies filling the screen with bullets to the point where you can't seem to do anything. Yes, I freely admit I suck. So, that could be part of it.

It is part of it. ;) So far I am motoring through the battles. Only died once and that was because I was trying to be smart and run into a platoon of them and melee them to death. Aside from that no battle has been a struggle at all yet. I'm playing on Normal btw (for review reasons)

Kintaro

Loudninja said:
Its like that in every single Resistance game.

I really don't recall that in Resistance 1 and I did a play through on that two weeks ago. Maybe I just enjoyed that one to the point where it didn't bug me. Didn't like R2 either time I tried it. It's a very lame mechanic though. Why bother having any cover? Why make you think you can have it? Why can the idiot AI members get into cover, and not get hit while you do and get swarmed? It's annoying.

On my way to New York now.

Atomizer: BWAHAHAHAHA! I AM THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS. Not really, but the alt fire is hilarious.

So far, the weapons are fun but besides the size of goliaths, the game hasn't hooked me.

*Spoiler tagged part removed*

Kintaro said:

Ughhh. I'm not liking what I'm hearing.

patsu

Because the cover will still protect you partially and yet gives you a view of the level ?
A full cover would block your view.

Your AI folks should take care of themselves but if they are regular soldiers, me think they should all just die eventually. ^_^

If you just stand in the open and look/fight, then you will most likely join them.

Kintaro

NBtoaster said:
How much time do you spend with AI? Was hoping this would be a more solo experience.

So far, its only the first couple of chapters. Not too long. Just long enough for you to do "God damn they are dumb." lol

Top Bottom