• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Den_John

Ashes1396 said:
Short game is short. :/
Looks like I'm playing this on hard.

The actual gameplay is much higher because you die sometimes. The playtime you lose between crossing over a checkpoint and playing for 5/10/... minutes and dying, is not included in total playtime.

NBtoaster said:
Wonder if time taken includes deaths.

nope

Ashes

Banned
Loudninja said:
Very nice love reading the Intel in the game.

We have several different times posted, 6, 7, 8 and 9 hours.Its not going to be the same for everyone

All of them under ten though. A couple of people are on their second play through- bodes well.

It's nearly ten am over here, gonna go try my luck in the markets.

If you find all intel, we have to play co-op sometime lj. *

Next gen, maybe we can get r4, four player co-op campaign. Play it on the highest difficulty. :p

*on that note, would love to play with some devs. That commentary you guys did on the playthrough, after the podcast, was awesome. and very insightful.

Loudninja

Ashes1396 said:
All of them under ten though. A couple of people are on their second play through- bodes well.

It's nearly ten am over here, gonna go try my luck in the markets.

If you find all intel, we have to play co-op sometime lj.

Next gen, maybe we can get r4, four player co-op campaign. Play it on the highest difficulty. :p
Will do I am not at all worry about playtime. :)

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Loudninja said:
Very nice love reading the Intel in the game.

We have several different times posted, 6, 7, 8 and 9 hours.Its not going to be the same for everyone
Anything above 6 is fine for me. Plus, I will play really slowly on the highest difficulty, so I can enjoy more.

Yeah, I played this game WAY more than what I posted. Safe to say deaths aren't included in the time. And I'm starting my second playthrough after work today. Lots of trophies I'm close to unlocking, and I'll try it with the Sharpshooter this time, with the window wide open so neighbors can see me acting a fool.

I played on Normal, and there were some parts that I really had to approach with a certain amount of strategy, so Hard and Superhuman should be lengthy playthroughs.

Loudninja

ConradCervantes said:
Yeah, I played this game WAY more than what I posted. Safe to say deaths aren't included in the time. And I'm starting my second playthrough after work today. Lots of trophies I'm close to unlocking, and I'll try it with the Sharpshooter this time, with the window wide open so neighbors can see me acting a fool.

I played on Normal, and there were some parts that I really had to approach with a certain amount of strategy, so Hard and Superhuman should be lengthy playthroughs.
Nice 7 to 10 hours is enough for me when it come to FPS games.

Meisadragon said:
Anything above 6 is fine for me. Plus, I will play really slowly on the highest difficulty, so I can enjoy more.
Yes, I still goign to start on normal like I do with every game.

Kintaro said:
Reading some others brief impressions make me feel bad. But not really.
Feel bad about what? If you dont like it you dont like its fine :)

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
thuway said:
We'll see you at PS4 launch. The engine has matured beautifully, and is only held back by the horsepower of the RSX. Can't wait to see what the talented guys back at IG will do with more RAM, and a powerful GPU :).

How do you know this?

As much as I love Resistance, I feel Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica has squeezed more out of the PS3 than Insomniac. The thing is, and people just don't seem to get this, is that the PS3 is more than the RSX. The Cell plays a huge role in aiding the RSX making it nothing comparable to a PC with an RSX.

R3 looks great, and I haven't played the final game yet so I am going off the media shown, but it always irks me when people refer to the PS3's graphical capabilities as = RSX. I'm sure IG's engine uses the Cell as well to aid in polygon drawing and other tasks that are conventionally handled by the GPU. I've been avoiding R3 SP media the last month so I hope that the game really surprises me. From what I've seen it definitely feels more visceral than previous games. I saw some glimpses that looked really cool in the latest trailer on the PSBlog.

And yeah, seeing any game, and perhaps especially a Resistance game, entirely customized for a current high-end CPU and GPU would be awesome as all PC games can only do so much while maintaining backwards compatibility. Like Displacement in PC games are currently tacked on because if it were to impact game-play, older machines would be out of luck.

Can't wait until Tuesday!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Loudninja said:

7-10 is about right.

Yes, I didn't like it. =/

Loudninja

Kintaro said:
7-10 is about right.

Yes, I didn't like it. =/
Thats fine, don't feel bad about not liking a game because others do.Most of us here are Resistance fans, we played the first 2 to death so we are excited and R3 looks to be the best one.

iNvid02

Loudninja said:

Yes, I still goign to start on normal like I do with every game.

yeah i gotta agree, fps gets boring rather quick no matter what game.
i think the sweet spot is 7-8hrs for me

Man

I'm definitely looking forward to the singleplayer on this one. Hopefully it is as well told as Resistance 1.

Loudninja

iNvidious01 said:
yeah i gotta agree, fps gets boring rather quick no matter what game.
i think the sweet spot is 7-8hrs for me
Yeah, glad IG put in crazy weapon that can upgrades to keep combat fresh.The gunplay is the best of the series.

Loudninja

patsu said:
Would be nice if they can include it day one, but I'd rather they design a proper hardcore mode with stats. ^_^
It is day one patsu.

spats said:
Fans of behind the scenes content should be happy with this game. There is some hilarious stuff to unlock.
Ah that really cool.

Beam said:
I hope the narrator from the first Resistance is back.
Nope.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Well it looks like my prediction was right, R3 will be the shortest of the three games, the trend continues, hopefully I'll scrap 8 hours out of it, it's funny each game has lost 2 hours in length, RFoM around average completion time of 12 hours, R2 around 10, and now R3 which seems to be around 7-8, I'm glad we don't pay rrp in the UK.

Beam said:
I hope the narrator from the first Resistance is back.

Have you played 'Resistance : Retribution' on the PSP?, fantastic game that also has mid-level narration from the British soldier Rachel Parker like the first game, if you have a PSP it's really worth playing, although if your thinking of grabbing a Vita then it might be worth waiting as apparently they are patching the game to work with dual sticks.

Ashes

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Well it looks like my prediction was right, R3 will be the shortest of the three games, the trend continues, hopefully I'll scrap 8 hours out of it, it's funny each game has lost 2 hours in length, RFoM around average completion time of 12 hours, R2 around 10, and now R3 which seems to be around 7-8, I'm glad we don't pay rrp in the UK.

Totally agreed. But there is campaign co-op, so i'm at least gurranteed to play twice. Minimum. Let alone alone all the folks who are playing this twice. And multi-player on top. Mp hasn't hooked me, but it's there, and it's better than a lot of what's out there.

Loudninja

lowrider007 said:
Look above you, they already said they play longer than the times said.

NBtoaster

Just played some Resistance 2. Forgot how good the gunplay felt and how good some setpieces are. Some glaring issues with the graphics and some contrived scenarios though. I hope there's no shit like the water monsters in R3.

Ashes

Banned
@roaringhawk:

Series recap.

R1 is better than r2, in a lot of people's eyes; bar metacritics who rated r2 higher then r1.

R1 has entered the ps3 classic games territory for a number of people; for some people it's the single player, for others, it's the multiplayer, and others still for co-op.

It's a long brown game of the classic game design. You run and gun through corridors, you take tanks through cities, and fight a few bosses along the way. And all that you do in a narrated story, via a weapon wheel, in England ww2 type esque scenario. There are no 'wow' set pieces, like the big block busters. Though some people love a part when it just started to snow. :p that's not a spoiler I guess, just trying to show how down to earth this game is. ;). Well you know what I mean.. Bar the alien type story etc... :p

R2 was supposed to be bigger, badder, and a whole lot more besides. And it was that for some people. But it brought in a more cod type game design. Which wasn't a resistance universe. No classic narrator driven story telling. Hale jumps from place to place in america, not europe; it looks tons better, but no weapon wheel, no campaign co-op. You do get proper bosses, and some interactive bosses as well, and you get the glorious 8 player co-op online. and it's difficulty spike is high enough to be irritating at times.

I don't think anybody knows why r1 is a fan favourite; everybody has their own opinions, some say that it came early on in the generation, others say that it is the atmosphere, others speak of the multiplayer. Others say co-op.

You can just tell by the disappointment from a number of gaffers in in r2, (admittedly, I'm not part of this group) that r1 was a little bit special. R2 felt rushed, they said, and there were too many changes.

R3 brings most of the stuff back. Weapon wheel, campaign co-op, atmosphere, and even more besides. So a fair few of us are waiting, patiently for r3 to come through the letter box.

R1 isn't a 99/100, and r2 isn't the shittest game ever; and these games aren't ten million cod sellers; I suspect a lot of people played both games a bit, and didn't like them. I played r1 because of word of mouth. Games recommended like that are few and far between, I will say that much.

Thrakier

RoaringHawk said:
hmmm... Guess I'll wait for that then. But sometimes demos mean nothing when it comes to the final game.

Never played a demo which wasn't representative of the final game regarding the tech. Gameplay only the Dead Space demos come to my mind. Obviously it always feels a bit different if you have the "full" experience from the start. You approach it in a different way, I guess.

Ashes

Banned
Thrakier said:
Never played a demo which wasn't representative of the final game regarding the tech. Gameplay only the Dead Space demos come to my mind. Obviously it always feels a bit different if you have the "full" experience from the start. You approach it in a different way, I guess.

Motorstorm 2, was almost night and day between demo and final release. At least for me.
Ps FYI, I really like the boat demo though. So take that how you will. My one complaint was the sound. I'm gonna play r3 locked into my room. :p

Thrakier

Ashes1396 said:
Motorstorm 2, was almost night and day between demo and final release. At least for me.
Ps FYI, I really like the boat demo though. So take that how you will. My one complaint was the sound. I'm gonna play r3 locked into my room. :p

lol, I kinda waited for this thing to pop up! It's like my little pet peeve. The MS2 demo improvement and "old code" thing is the biggest GAF legend ever. It's all in your mind. That demo was final code and it's exactly (!!) like that in the final game with the correct daytime setting on the same track.

Ashes

Banned
Thrakier said:
lol, I kinda waited for this thing to pop up! It's like my little pet peeve. The MS2 demo improvement and "old code" thing is the biggest GAF legend ever. It's all in your mind. That demo was final code and it's exactly (!!) like that in the final game with the correct daytime setting on the same track.

What? You got to be kidding me. They intentionally fucked up their own game to show it in the worst possible light? or they had to rush out demos. I wouldn't believe it, even if the developers themselves told me so. :p

Ms2 is so awesome in the retail version. Looks phenomenal.

Thrakier

Ashes1396 said:
What? You got to be kidding me. They intentionally fucked up their own game to show it in the worst possible light? or they had to rush out demos. I wouldn't believe it, even if the developers themselves told me so. :p

Ms2 is so awesome in the retail version. Looks phenomenal.

No, maybe they just thought that the track looks good and it was finished already so they put it out as a demo. I guess they had their reasons. It's right there are more spectacular looking tracks in the final though, but that doesn't mean that the demo wasn't representative. It was in the game like that. Same with the R3 boat demo.

However, that's a bit OT... ;) Sorry for that.

Anyone else get the feeling that this is going to flop badly? Sony's been giving it a considerable marketing push so far, but it still seems like a non-event. :/

spats

MrCookiepants said:
Anyone else get the feeling that this is going to flop badly? Sony's been giving it a considerable marketing push so far, but it still seems like a non-event. :/

It'll hopefully make its money back, but I don't think Resistance games have ever been 'events'.

MrCookiepants said:

This game will sell just like the last two. It's a dozen or so people on this forum that equate their dislike of this franchise into believing this series is and will always be a flop.

Thrakier

spats said:
It'll hopefully make its money back, but I don't think Resistance games have ever been 'events'.

The first one 100%, it had some hype around it. Resistance 2 as well, but it had a terrible backlash. 3 suffers under this backlash still. I guess the beta hurt more than it helped as well.

spats said:

Well, the original was the PS3 game for some time and its sequel was anticipated enough to be pitted against Gears 2 in fanboy wars. I'm not a fan of the series but I'm a fan of Insomniac and, between this and Ratchet: All 4 One, it just seems like they're not exciting gamers like they used to. :(

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
MrCookiepants said:

Financially/Critically, both?, I think it's a safe bet this game will do fine critically based on previews and peoples early impressions of the game but in terms of sales I'm not so sure, Dead Island is out on the same day so not sure how much of a dent that will make, personally I feel that will be a bigger hit on the 360, I'd like to say it'll make more money than R2 but then R3 also cost a lot more to make.

I think it'll be a long time before they earn as much money as they did out of RFoM though, I'm sure it's still one of Sony's best selling exclusives.

lowrider007 said:
Financially/Critically, both?, I think it's a safe bet this game will do fine critically based on previews and peoples early impressions of the game but in terms of sales I'm not so sure, Dead Island is out on the same day so not sure how much of a dent that will make, personally I feel that will be a bigger hit on the 360, I'd like to say it'll make more money than R2 but then R3 also cost a lot more to make.

I think it'll be a long time before they earn as much money as they did out of RFoM though, I'm sure it's still one of Sony's best selling exclusives.

Dead Island has a good chance of becoming a sleeper hit like Borderlands. I'm definitely feeling more hype for that than R3 at the moment.

@Ashes1396:

Wow thanks for the recap. Really appreciate it.

I think what I hated in the R1 demo is that I couldn't get past the first area :p
I had new games to play, so I just played it for like 20mins, got bored from dying and deleted it.

I know the graphics will not be great, I just want to play it for the story. I think I'll burrow it from someone and try the full game.

Drewfonse

Not trying to start something, but I distinctly remember jstevenson chiming in about the game length at some point in this thread, or the unofficial one before this one. He said that some testers were speed running in less than 8 hours, but the impression given was that the game would be longer, perhaps significantly, for most people. Perhaps the testers were playing on the hardest difficulty and "death replay checkpoint time" was included, but if that was the case, it should have been noted.

We have seen several posts documenting sub 7 hour runs by people completely unfamiliar with the game. That is the reality, and this is also the last time I rely on anyone remotely connected to a game to provide me with unbiased information.

I am still excited for the game, and will have it on Tuesday, but game length does matter to me. This is clearly not the 9-10 hour game it was implied to be.

And with that said, I'm sure that I will love it and beat it 2-3 times.

Top Bottom