• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

patsu

Probably because they are measuring the non-repeated length so you know side missions are played or not, during discussion.

But for money's worth discussion, this number is not accurate at all since it doesn't count the actual play through time and *drum roll* the whole entire freaking MP time.

spats

Y2Kev said:
Who cares about length? You all need to get another job.

That's what she said.

I really wouldn't call this a short game. It's a very varied and exciting campaign in my opinion. People nowdays get too obsessed with one hour here or there. I understand wanting to get your money's worth out of a product but bitching about a game being half an hour too long or too short is getting pretty ridiculous.

patsu

The enemy AI and replay experience will help. If the AI is aggressive and smart, a different play through even on the same difficulty should be different. That number doesn't really measure your "enjoyment time" regardless. There are skills gap, and different weapon use -- thanks to the wheel. I remember replaying selected levels in RFOM repeatedly using different weapons.

Just finished R2. The beginning of the game was kinda meh, but things started to get better at the Chicago level. From that level I enjoyed it quite a bit. Puzzles me how the average of R2 rating is higher than R1 though.

Anyway, I'm ready for part 3 and while part 2 was not that great, I'm glad I played it because I wanted to know how the story continued

Ashes

Banned
Steve McQueen said:
Just finished R2. The beginning of the game was kinda meh, but things started to get better at the Chicago level. From that level I enjoyed it quite a bit. Puzzles me how the average of R2 rating is higher than R1 though.

Anyway, I'm ready for part 3 and while part 2 was not that great, I'm glad I played it because I wanted to know how the story continued

How long did it take to finish? :p

don't answer I'm only kidding. :p

Loudninja

spats said:
That's what she said.

I really wouldn't call this a short game. It's a very varied and exciting campaign in my opinion. People nowdays get too obsessed with one hour here or there. I understand wanting to get your money's worth out of a product but bitching about a game being half an hour too long or too short is getting pretty ridiculous.
That is the way it should be.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Beam said:
After playing the beta for 2 hours today, i have to say that the Bullseye is the greatest weapon of any shooter i played. I love this weapon.
Bullseye + Gunslinger caused my K/D to immediately triple. I love the R3 Bullseye.

Zoibie

Beam said:
The thing i love most about Insomniac is that they make creative and fun weapons. There are like 3-4 new weapons in R3.

Yup. Using the Mutator in Chain Reaction when there are 4 or 5 guys huddled in the same spot is just bliss.

Loudninja

Zoibie said:
Yup. Using the Mutator in Chain Reaction when there are 4 or 5 guys huddled in the same spot is just bliss.
Yes best new weapon so far for me, although I love the Atomizer, its more of single player weapon to me.

French

Banned
Thrakier said:
Deaths are not inclueded in this time so it probably is about 8 hours which is totally fine. That said, I'm not buying games at RRP anyway anymore. It's just too much money.

Same for me.

Earlier this year I had a list of games that I was going to buy new but each one of them has disappointed me.

lowrider007 said:
Actually why isn't this the case?, surely it's beneficial that the actual playtime should include deaths/retries? would look better on paper for Insomniac also as it would make the game seem longer.
I was thinking this too. Why wouldn't you include deaths? I mean you are playing while dying right?

patsu

Steve McQueen said:

R2 has much higher production value and more stuff to do than RFOM. Co-op is unique.

I remember in the early days, there were much negative feelings about PS3, and some thought that RFOM is generic.

In any case, both are Greatest Hits games. Personally I think if they had delayed the game by a few months, the reception amongst old fans would be very different. It just needs a few tweaks and better monster interaction.

patsu

RoboPlato said:
Bullseye + Gunslinger caused my K/D to immediately triple. I love the R3 Bullseye.

Same here. First time I used it, it felt like I was a hot knife cutting through enemies like butter.

These days Atomizer and Mutator have deciding advantages at close distance, but it's a 50/50 chance at mid range for me ( if I don't run towards them in the skirmish >_< )

patsu said:
R2 has much higher production value and more stuff to do than RFOM. Co-op is unique.

Just by looking at the menu ( Hale looks fugly ) I must say I think RFOM has the better production values. But you're right R2 has more content.

patsu

Yap, RFOM has higher "art" IMHO too, but R2 simply had much bigger and more of everything. In particular, colors in R2 confuses me.

Loudninja

patsu said:
Which one is the Splicer ? I only remember the Splitter, which I can't use effectively at all.
The one that shoot saw blades didn't really like it, wasn't all that useful same with the Bellock.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Loudninja said:
The one that shoot saw blades didn't really like it, wasn't all that useful same with the Bellock.
The Bellock was amazing against Titans. 3 hits and they were done. There was also alway one around when you fought them. Most people never found them though. Saved my ass so many times on Superhuman.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Steve McQueen said:
Just by looking at the menu ( Hale looks fugly ) I must say I think RFOM has the better production values. But you're right R2 has more content.
R2 ultimately looks much better than R1. It's hard to see because they put so much work into the (useless) scale than intimate, intricate detail, but it's there. Chicago's skyline is really amazing. But then you spend so much time in shitty, drab underground hallways. :\

Loudninja

RoboPlato said:
The Bellock was amazing against Titans. 3 hits and they were done. There was also alway one around when you fought them. Most people never found them though. Saved my ass so many times on Superhuman.
I was talking about multiplayer mostly, but I didn't really like it ta all I guess.I glad they took the best weapons from R2 and put them in R3.

RoboPlato said:

The bellock was actually one of my favorites as well. It was probably the best weapon for 60 man pvp as long as there was no health regen. Just fire a couple burning grenades into a group of people, watch the ezperience rolling in get the chimeran beam rifle perk run in on a suicide mission and hit 20 guys with the alt fire. Success

Kurod

Banned
Loudninja said:
The splicer was really powerful if you held the secondary fire button before shooting. Instead of bouncing around charged shots would embed themselves in enemies and do continuous damage.

spats

Loudninja said:
Oh btw with the new game+ do you start with all your weapons?I doubt but it doesn't hurt to ask.

No, but you retain your weapon levels. However there are a bunch of cheats that you can buy with ingame money and you can buy all weapons/infinte ammo with those.

Loudninja

spats said:
No, but you retain your weapon levels. However there are a bunch of cheats that you can buy with ingame money and you can buy all weapons/infinte ammo with those.
Thanks,I wont be doing that though!Well maybe on my 8th playthough.

Y2Kev

Kurod said:
The splicer was really powerful if you held the secondary fire button before shooting. Instead of bouncing around charged shots would embed themselves in enemies and do continuous damage.
I only used it for the Grimms. It was very helpful in Chicago.

spats said:
Sounds great for replayability.

Ashes

Banned
Y2Kev said:

This man knows what he is talking about.

I think I did the same.

On R3, I think the shot gun is much more useful. In the boat demo especially.

yeah, I played it again.

patsu

RoboPlato said:

That's it. Bellock was the weapon I missed in that level. ^_^

I only used Splicer against the Grimms too.

Loudninja

Y2Kev said:
Yes the only for Grimms ammo was so limited.But man I still love the Chicago level the Grimms running at you was fantastic.I also like when you walk in that theater and that old horror music was playing.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
lowrider007 said:
Actually why isn't this the case?, surely it's beneficial that the actual playtime should include deaths/retries? would look better on paper for Insomniac also as it would make the game seem longer.

It's not just beneficial. It also makes sense.

Counting just the "good runs"? I don't see the statistical value in that.

Melchiah

harriet the spy said:
I am on the 'caring more about SP side', but I much prefer short, varied and well-made SP than long, drawn-out ones.

I prefer varied and well-made long SP campaigns, too bad the maximum time seems to be 8-10 hours nowadays.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Loudninja said:
Yes the only for Grimms ammo was so limited.But man I still love the Chicago level the Grimms running at you was fantastic.I also like when you walk in that theater and that old horror music was playing.
I loved the Chicago mission. Great balance of action and tension. I loved crawling through the wrecked hotel, Slicer-ing my way through the street full of Grims, the huge bridge battle, and the Leviathan's scale. Such a great level.

Loudninja

Melchiah said:
I prefer varied and well-made long SP campaigns, too bad the maximum time seems to be 8-10 hours nowadays.
That is consider short now? wow where have I been?

RoboPlato said:
I loved the Chicago mission. Great balance of action and tension. I loved crawling through the wrecked hotel, Slicer-ing my way through the street full of Grims, the huge bridge battle, and the Leviathan's scale. Such a great level.
Yep best level in the game.

Y2Kev

Loudninja said:
I think that is Twin Falls though, right? That was very good.

RoboPlato said:

I thought the "stalker" (r2 broken stalker crap) part was so bad though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Y2Kev said:
I think that is Twin Falls though, right? That was very good.

I thought the "stalker" (r2 broken stalker crap) part was so bad though.
Yep. That was Twin Falls. I'd always throw a Spider Grenade out into the aisles and destroy them before they hit the stage. Damn, I may pop in R2 again tonight to replay some of these missions.

Top Bottom